Forum manners question. tia.

Started by saywhatwhat, November 13, 2006, 10:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saywhatwhat

I'm new so I just want to clarify something.  I read the rules and it said not to bump old posts excessively.  I replied to a message on the second page of a forum and was told not to do that.  From other forums, I didn't think that was either old or excessive.  Are you only allowed to respond to messages on the first page? Could a mod PM with a clarification so I won't mis-step again?  TIA :)

Jenee

"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

Wombat

Seeing as how each page holds over 40 threads I think people should use commonsense before posting. Anyone bumping a topic from the second page of a board should realise by the dates indicated that it will be very old. We have a different set up to most forums and I think that it's fair to say that anything on our 2 pages is a topic that is dead..old or shouldn't be posted in.

If a thread is OVER a month old then please don't post in it. Feel free to begin a new one so long as it is relevant to current debate or isn't a rehash of another topic being discussed.

saywhatwhat

Thanks!  Jenee messaged me about it.  Like I suggested to her, that should be added to the forum guidelines because I don't think a month is "very old" and other new people may be confused as to the preference of the forum as to whether they should bring up an older post or create a new post that was just discussed a page back because the rules right now aren't clear.  Thanks again!  Appreciate the clarification.

Wombat

A month may not be very old on other forums, but here it is due to the volume of posters and stories we get.

We can't really post every single rule..everyone would take like 10 days just to read through them all! :lmao:

The best way to figure it out is to look at the last date on the thread..if it's any older than a month then forget about unless you're adding something substantial and not just agreeing or having a small thing to say.

The 2nd page on this forum could be over 6 months old as the front pages on each board contain 40 different threads, which could themselves be nearly a month old...the 2nd page has the threads 41-80 on them...which is a lot of threads!