Is Kate a Role Model?

Started by PrincessOfPeace, April 23, 2014, 04:24:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HistoryGirl

Quote from: HsHCharlene on July 01, 2014, 03:43:23 PM
Georgiana, I agree with you and think that Kate is strong and really has the potential to make a difference in her role. The down side is what another poster said a few days ago and that is that she really has no interest in public and civic duties. I'm sure she loves William but if she doesn't want to job then she made the wrong choice in who she married. If there was really an interest she would be doing more on a personal level. She doesn't have to work as much as the PoW or HM but show more initiative and consistency then she has been over the past few years.

I think she is a good mother but she also has help with that as well as housekeeping so being a loving wife and mother cna also mean she's doing absolutely nothing if she has all the help in the world and doesn't have to lift a finger. She can love them without doing anything but that doesn't make her a role model.

I also see the haggard look to her and attribute that to the birth of her son, the nudity scandals, the pressures and bores of royal life, and maybe the magic fading away, as well as the constant press and public criticism. It would effect anybody in that position. I always thought that she cared about the life more than the public duties and it does show. We only get influxes of work when there is bad press on the horizon. Although I think that the British press are horrendous I also think that the both she and her husband play their part in the public reaction to themselves.

Do I think she is a role model? No, but i don't think she really wants to be one either. I think she always wanted the cushy life but none of the responsibilities. There are much more deserving people in the world for the title of role model.

This is a fantastic summary of Kate. I think it's totally fine to consider her a role model if all you wish to be is someone that marries well and has children, but the term role model usually encompasses much more than that for the majority of people. And that doesn't mean that being a wife and mother isn't a good thing, but that millions of women around the world do that and Kate's no better or worse than them simply because her husbands a prince.

I wish she would take more of an interest in charity work, but sometimes it's better to admit that perhaps she just doesn't wanna take an interest.

SophieChloe

^^ I absolutely agree with both of these posts!!   :notworthy: :notworthy:
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

Limabeany

Quote from: cate1949 on July 01, 2014, 06:10:06 PM
I don't think we should judge her harshly - again because we do not know what constraints she has. 
If she had worked or have been involved in charity during her pre-marriage days  (especially, knowing who she wanted to marry and what would be expected of her after marriage) I would be less inclined to disbelieve the theory that would have her condemned to a life of leisure in a gilded cage... But her track record, all of it and not just post marriage leads me to believe she simply is not very forward thinking or diligent...
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Limabeany

:goodpost: Me too, HG and cate.  :thumbsup:
Quote from: SophieChloe on July 01, 2014, 07:06:54 PM
^^ I absolutely agree with both of these posts!!   :notworthy: :notworthy:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

georgiana996

She really didnt think what life would be like after the proposal ? What will it be like ? And its just drab and boring imo starting to look like its taking a toll on her she has gone from fresh and happy to slightly depressed looking in just 3 yrs 
Surround yourself with people who are going to lift you higher.

Limabeany

She should have, though, since by the time he proposed, she was a 29 year old adult woman and not a 19 year old teenager...

georgiana996

Yeah even 19 yr olds have better aims and aspirations ahem  :hide: like I said not even her fans would exchange places with her , shes really looking exhausted after her little work weeks ago  last month :(

PaulaB

Quote from: Limabeany on July 01, 2014, 07:08:49 PM
Quote from: cate1949 on July 01, 2014, 06:10:06 PM
I don't think we should judge her harshly - again because we do not know what constraints she has. 
If she had worked or have been involved in charity during her pre-marriage days  (especially, knowing who she wanted to marry and what would be expected of her after marriage) I would be less inclined to disbelieve the theory that would have her condemned to a life of leisure in a gilded cage... But her track record, all of it and not just post marriage leads me to believe she simply is not very forward thinking or diligent...

I remember seeing an article about her family's role in the make a wish foundation and there where so many comments on who does Kate think she is royalty for daring to be seen helping a charity.  The press knew to be outside her door in the morning because they knew when she left for work she was careful to be out of the limelight which has led to people to think she didn't work.  I mean Diana's flat wad brought by her father a flat in Coleherne Court in Earls Court would be worth over £2 million now do you really think her job as a teahing aid paid for that?

SophieChloe

This thread is not about Diana.

HistoryGirl

Maybe she just imagined how "glamorous" being a princess would be? I'm not sure how, but maybe all she thought about was marrying William without thinking about the rest. Or maybe her idea of a role model is just a pretty girl and that's it. I don't know, what do you guys think?

SophieChloe

I agree.  She did not think beyond the end of her nose IMO.  All she was bothered about was the tile and status.  She is a big fail in the dedication to others stake. 

TLLK

I believe that she knew what would be involved with being a member of the BRF through conversations with William and his family. Ultimately she chose to stay with him after being informed and having experienced the media presence. Quite likely she was also made aware of the heiarchy within the family. Focus to remain upon the most senior royals in order to try and avoid a repeat of the 80's and 90's.

georgiana996

She honestly baffles me (ok that was deep) but I like her overall as a person she doesnt seem to bad and we know very little about her to judge her so I will say i am in between I dont hate her but I am not sure I really like her since I dont defend every thing she does like some fans .
what keeps me from liking her is her lack if interest in anything ither than william  , she was not well travelled for someone who reportedly was a 'socialite' unlike her sister who is also better at social skills , giving speeches and having some sense of style other than grandma dressing , kate looks flaky to me like she doesnt have anything she wants other than that ring and tiara .

HistoryGirl

Her lack of knowledge when it comes to answering questions and giving speeches does confuse me. I'm shy myself so I can understand some nerves, but her annunciation and lack of eloquence with speech is perplexing. I mean sometimes you gotta fake it to make it and at least pretend to speak with conviction which at least for me is where the idea of the seeming lack of interest arises. I don't know, sometimes I feel like I'm projecting my idea of a good public servant onto someone that doesn't have the capability and I feel bad.

TLLK

Quote from: HistoryGirl on July 01, 2014, 07:47:38 PM
Her lack of knowledge when it comes to answering questions and giving speeches does confuse me. I'm shy myself so I can understand some nerves, but her annunciation and lack of eloquence with speech is perplexing. I mean sometimes you gotta fake it to make it and at least pretend to speak with conviction which at least for me is where the idea of the seeming lack of interest arises. I don't know, sometimes I feel like I'm projecting my idea of a good public servant onto someone that doesn't have the capability and I feel bad.
Like you I'm shy too, but I do have a bit of an acting bug. I have in my head the "image" of what a good public speaker is so I act in that manner. It is the only way that I found to speak in front of an audience or to teach a classroom full of students.

SophieChloe

Quote from: TLLK on July 01, 2014, 07:36:30 PM
I believe that she knew what would be involved with being a member of the BRF through conversations with William and his family. Ultimately she chose to stay with him after being informed and having experienced the media presence. Quite likely she was also made aware of the heiarchy within the family. Focus to remain upon the most senior royals in order to try and avoid a repeat of the 80's and 90's.
What conversations with his family?  She first met the queen whilst William was elsewhere...Jecca's family. 

Media presence? She was out most Thursday nights in high profile nightspots.  She could have stayed at home getting a good nights sleep for "work" the next day.  I've read it was the "media" who put her off working?

As for the...wait your turn - argument.  Sorry, not buying it. 

"to try and avoid a repeat of the 80's and 90's"
Sophie came after the 80's and 90's and nothing stopped her from getting out there. 

Limabeany

:goodpost:
:hug: :hug:

Limabeany

Hierarchy? Then she should be working more than Sophie! Kate is the one two heartbeats away from being Queen... As far as conversations go, she is not illiterate, the media, internet and television would have clued her in as to what is expected of a royal public servant who would one day be Queen...

HistoryGirl

Quote from: TLLK on July 01, 2014, 07:54:42 PM
Like you I'm shy too, but I do have a bit of an acting bug. I have in my head the "image" of what a good public speaker is so I act in that manner. It is the only way that I found to speak in front of an audience or to teach a classroom full of students.

I'll have to take a cue from you there since I wanna become a teacher someday lol

georgiana996

I am also quite shy but I notice that most of the time when you say something that catches the persons attention to the point the whole room quiets down to hear it even if your voice is soft , thats when you know you've got people listening and its not how loud but your interest /passion for the subject that gets conveyed ...this never happens with kate her first speech was fake as ever with the childish expressions and weird smiling .

cinrit

Quote from: SophieChloe on July 01, 2014, 07:55:36 PM
Sophie came after the 80's and 90's and nothing stopped her from getting out there.   

This isn't about Sophie, but since she's been mentioned ... she didn't get right out there, and she had a pretty rough beginning as a Windsor wife.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

SophieChloe

TLLK mentioned the 80's and 90's so I assumed she meant the Diana/Fergie years.  So I included Sophie....okay with you, Cindy!

She did get out there, even after a very difficult birth.

What's Kate's excuse?  And they are nothing more than "excuses".....

TLLK

Quote from: HistoryGirl on July 01, 2014, 08:08:14 PM
Quote from: TLLK on July 01, 2014, 07:54:42 PM

I'll have to take a cue from you there since I wanna become a teacher someday lol
Oh that is wonderful!!! What are you considering? I'm elementary aka Multiple Subjects in the Golden State of CA. I'm currently subbing but prior to having children I taught 2nd, 3rd, 4th and student taught in Kdg. and 5th.

TLLK

Quote from: Limabeany on July 01, 2014, 08:03:11 PM
Hierarchy? Then she should be working more than Sophie! Kate is the one two heartbeats away from being Queen... As far as conversations go, she is not illiterate, the media, internet and television would have clued her in as to what is expected of a royal public servant who would one day be Queen...
In the line of succession, William is heir-to-the-heir that is true. In terms of who is full time/part time for now I believe HM, the DoE prefer to use HM's first cousins, children and in-laws.

As for information, I do believe that Kate has had access to the BRF staff as well as the members of the BRF themselves.

cinrit

Quote from: SophieChloe on July 01, 2014, 08:39:37 PM
TLLK mentioned the 80's and 90's so I assumed she meant the Diana/Fergie years.  So I included Sophie....okay with you, Cindy!

It's fine with me, but I thought we weren't allowed to mention other Royal Family members, since when PaulaB mentioned Diana, you told her the thread is not about Diana. :shrug:

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.