The Coronation Part 3

Started by TLLK, May 02, 2023, 11:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

I like the fact that Prince William and his uncle Prince Edward each brought an umbrella to the Buckingham Palace Garden Party.

sara8150

Nightowl

Quote from: Blue Clover on May 08, 2023, 05:59:17 AM
What an amazing weekend for King Charles, England, Camilla, Prince William, and even Harry (although his appearance was brief.) I found myself missing Queen Elizabeth and wondering what the future holds for the BRF.

I also found myself thinking of HM and what she went through in her coronation as Charles is then doing the same, it must of been very emotional for Charles as this would remind him of his mother passing and he is now in charge.  Lots of stress building on top of more stress with all the emotional upheavals adding on to it.....Both Charles and Camilla did great under all that drama and stress imho.

Curryong

Did anybody pick up on the Grim Reaper sighting at the Coronation that excited Twitter for several hours. It just shows that people love a supernatural mystery as there were millions of viewers looking at the figure after it was pointed out. WA authorities stated that it was a verger at the Abbey going about his duties during the ceremony. He was dressed very strangely for the 21st century though, and the stick he carried just added to it all, lol.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-65547034

HistoryGirl2

^That is beyond creepy 😂 especially in a church that old.

Curryong

Quote from: sara8150 on May 12, 2023, 12:03:55 AM
Penny Mordaunt took painkillers to help her endure role of carrying swords during King's coronation | Daily Mail Online

King Charles' Coronation Sword Bearer Breaks Down How She Did It

Well done to her! You would have to take painkillers I think to carry those swords. Several elderly men at previous Coronations found it very difficult. Lord Melbourne who was a Sword Bearer at Queen Victoria?s ceremony almost collapsed under the strain.

Amabel2

If she had to take painkillers to do the job, why could someone else not be deputised?  Surely its not a good idea.

TLLK

Or the other question is  "Could this part of the ceremony be modified?" If it's been part of the traditions since 1066 during an age when noble men were required to have the necessary strength to wield a sword, could it not be modified to some degree to make it easier?

TLLK

Why the last act of King Charles III?s Coronation was kept quiet from the public ? Royal Central

There were a few accommodations made in order to have the Chief Rabbi's participation on Saturday May 6 which fell during Shabbat (Sabbath).

QuoteThe final act of the Coronation of King Charles III at Westminster Abbey was seen but not heard ? and there was a very good reason for that.

As the newly crowned Monarch left the Abbey on May 6th 2023, a group of faith leaders approached him, to offer a welcome at this special time in his reign. But because the Coronation took place on a Saturday, the Jewish Sabbath, no microphones were allowed to pick it up so that the Chief Rabbi, Sir Ephraim Mirvis, could continue to observe Shabbat.

It meant that this milestone moment was heard only by The King and those immediately around him. There was no public broadcast of it and it won?t be heard in the permanent, historic records of the Coronation.

Shabbat rules take into account the use of electricity. Although there are some debates around it, microphones are taken to use the human voice to affect the conduction of electricity while concerns about amplification through speakers or, in this case, broadcast media, are also reasons that the devices are usually forbidden on Shabbat.

Sir Ephraim told the Jewish Chronicle that King Charles was aware of this and said ?here is one of many examples of the King?s sensitivity to the Jewish faith.?

The Chief Rabbi was one of five faith leaders to offer the special welcome to King Charles. They told him ?Your Majesty, as neighbours in faith, we acknowledge the value of public service. We unite with people of all faiths and beliefs in thanksgiving, and in service with you for the common good.?

The other leaders were Lord Singh from the Sikh community and Radha Mohan Das of the Hindu community. Aliya Azam of the Christian Muslim Forum and Bogoda Seelawimala Thera, leader of the London Buddhist Vehara, also took part.

King Charles also invited Sir Ephraim to spend the night before the Coronation at St. James? Palace to allow him to walk to the Abbey, again to allow him to observe Shabbat.

TLLK

Coronation Arrests Supported by British People, Survey Finds

QuoteThe British public has backed the police over its handling of protesters during the coronation of King Charles III this month. This is despite the force expressing "regret" after arresting six members of Britain's leading anti-monarchy group before the ceremony.

More than half (56 percent) of respondents said they felt the police handled the coronation "well," in a survey of 2,001 British adults compiled by YouGov between May 9 and 10. Around two-fifths (41 percent) replied that the force struck the right "balance" in handling protesters.

On the morning of May 6, over 11,000 police officers were deployed around London in what was one of the biggest public-security operations in Britain of the last decade.

Curryong

Quote from: TLLK on May 12, 2023, 12:39:16 PM
Or the other question is  "Could this part of the ceremony be modified?" If it's been part of the traditions since 1066 during an age when noble men were required to have the necessary strength to wield a sword, could it not be modified to some degree to make it easier?

In theory I suppose these Swords of State could just be laid on a table next to the altar where they could be seen. The problem is that this part of the Coronation is so ancient, and part of the pomp and ritual of the ceremony that any removal or great modification of it would mean a loss. Just have to hope for large hefty individuals next time I guess!

HistoryGirl2

Quote from: TLLK on May 12, 2023, 12:39:16 PM

That was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw that: how heavy that thing is and how strong you had to be to not only hold it but wield it on a regular basis. Jeez.

I enjoyed seeing it, but I don?t think I would have missed it if it weren?t part of the ceremony. Another thought for when William is crowned.

sara8150

Curryong

It?s all over the internet that this photo has been photoshopped, and clumsily at that. The figures photographed separately and then slotted in, the Crown, the crown on Charles? head, etc. it?s a pity for the three participants and the photographer that there are plenty of expert photographers out there who took a look at that photograph and dismantled it.

wannable

The Royal Family
@royalfamily

The King with The Prince of Wales and Prince George of Wales in the Throne Room at Buckingham Palace on #Coronation Day.

PrincessOfPeace

Why would they be photographed separately when they were all together at the coronation?

Curryong

Because William in particular looks like a cardboard cutout in that photo. Plenty of people have remarked on it.

HistoryGirl2

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on May 12, 2023, 10:16:37 PM
Why would they be photographed separately when they were all together at the coronation?

I agree, that would rather odd. I?d imagine getting the heirs and the King together would be top priority as far as photographs go. Traditionally, depicting the line of succession has always been popular with royals.

The photograph is heavily touched up, though, which is likely what people are misinterpreting.

Nightowl

The entire picture is just weird to me, King Charles looks grumpy, can't Charles at least smile  and his crown is lopsided on his head a bit, William looks like he grew taller, and that fake smile says he wants to go home and poor George is trying to be comfortable with his smile which is not working either.

The photographer did not do a good job of positioning the family there, this looks like a half done hurry up and take the damn picture please.......Think Catherine knowing the family would of done a better job or is this her picture?  Who took the picture?

sara8150

Kate and Wills The Movie: Prince and Princess of Wales release behind-the-scenes Coronation footage | Daily Mail Online

The man behind Kate and Wills' movie magic revealed | Daily Mail Online

Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis are adorable inside Kensington Palace home in regal new video | HELLO!

Prince and Princess of Wales release behind the scenes coronation day footage from Kensington Palace | UK News | Sky News

Princess Charlotte and Louis share 'beautiful' moment in unseen video | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Kate and William release super-slick 5 minute Coronation video with behind scenes footage | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

https://www.itv.com/news/2023-05-13/william-and-kate-release-behind-the-scenes-video-of-coronation-weekend

Prince William and Kate share incredible behind-the-scenes film of Coronation weekend - Mirror Online

Prince Louis caught off guard in 'beautiful' unseen moment with Charlotte before Coronation - Mirror Online

William and Kate release slick Netflix-style film giving incredible all-access glimpse behind the scenes of Coronation | The Sun

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tv/22343493/neil-paton-bbc-cameraman-coronation-rehearsals/
He know better not films for rehearsal during eve of coronation,wedding and funeral but King Charles and Buckingham Palace makes decisions not invite till big day but outside films or pictures FINE!! Not without authorization of King Charles?s or Buckingham Palace but not sell films or pictures He denied trying to film on his phone and the BBC told us it believed him.Mr Paton has had a distinguished BBC career to foreign media BBC spokesperson said: ?While we do not comment on individuals, most of what has been reported about this story is completely incorrect." it?s private business and private matters on BBC and employees but cant share details to media or paparazzi

https://royalcentral.co.uk/coronation-2/why-the-last-act-of-king-charles-iiis-coronation-was-kept-quiet-from-the-public-189558/

https://royalcentral.co.uk/coronation-2/prime-minister-rishi-sunak-speaks-out-on-protesters-arrested-at-coronation-189516/

https://royalcentral.co.uk/uk/kent/the-unsung-hero-of-king-charles-coronation-photos-princess-alexandra-189548/