Princess Margaret's Jewellery to be auctioned

Started by Wombat, June 09, 2006, 11:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wombat

Princess Margaret's jewellery sells for a hundred times its value ~ Daily Mail
QuoteA controversial auction of her jewellery saw some items sold for up to 100 times more than expected, with bidders clamouring to buy mementoes of her glamorous past.

heather

I find the whole thing very sad indeed!
Surely someone from the family could have stepped in to keep the most cherished pieces in the family?
Queen Mary must be hurtling in her grave!  :unsure:

SweetHomeNC

This is a prime example of why something similar to the system that one of the other european monarchies (I want to say it's Sweden, but I'm not sure) has where tiaras aren't personal property, but the property of a foundation or the state that keeps them from being sold off.

Wombat

Somw of the jewels etc are not owned by members of the royal family...some are actually held by the Queen on behalf of her people ;)

SweetHomeNC

Those are the crown jewels only, aren't they? And I was talking about all the tiaras worn by members of the Royal Family, because as more and more of the members that lived during the height of galas and splendor pass on, the more likely we are to see these jewels sold and lost into the land of private owners. It's a shame, because some of them are truly wonderful pieces.

Jenee

ITV: Margaret's possession returned to palace

QuoteA conservation charity which looks after Princess Margaret's former home has bought a number of the items sold at auction by her children.

"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore