The Duchess of Brabant Current Events and Discussion

Started by PrincessOfPeace, September 02, 2020, 11:52:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrincessOfPeace

A thread to discuss the Duchess of Brabant[/color]

The first image of Crown Princess Elisabeth, 18, at the Royal Military Academy in Brussels.

Twitter

Curryong

Elizabeth is really growing up. I was wondering whether she would perhaps go to Sandhurst for a short while as other people in her family have as well as members of other Royal Houses like Luxembourg. Of course it's completely appropriate that the heir be trained in military service in her own country and among fellow Belgian recruits, and I hope she really enjoys it all and learns a lot.

PrincessOfPeace

Belgian Crown Princess Elisabeth, 18, in the army.

Amid the corona crisis, the students respect the social distancing (1,5 meters) in the restaurant @ the military initiation phase at Camp Elsenborn.

Movie camera Royal Palace/Kristiaan Grauwels

Twitter

TLLK

Princess Elisabeth is participating in her military initiation with her platoon.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFKde2iHoyf/ (Video in French/Flemish with subtitles.)

PrincessOfPeace

On Friday, April 30th, The Duchess of Brabant took part in the Parade for the Unknown Soldier.

Theres a detachment from the RMA that pays tribute to the monument every year.

In 1922 werd het stoffelijk... - Royal Military Academy | Facebook

LouisFerdinand

If Princess Elisabeth of Belgium marries a foreign Prince, will he still not be considered a Prince because he was born a Prince?

Curryong

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on July 09, 2021, 10:32:39 PM
If Princess Elisabeth of Belgium marries a foreign Prince, will he still not be considered a Prince because he was born a Prince?

Do you mean a Prince as in ?heir to a throne?? Because if she married Christian of Denmark for example, that would be extremely awkward! I don?t see why such a man wouldn?t keep his styling as Prince. Bernhard of the Netherlands, a German Prince of Lippe did, for example, even though such titles had been abolished in Germany by then. Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark dropped all his stylings, titles and even his surname, for various reasons, before his marriage not least because he had to be seen by the population of the UK as being completely British at the end of a long war.

It?s not likely to happen though. I can?t see Elizabeth marrying a Prince from a foreign land. Her choice may be an aristocrat or upperclass male, the class her mother came from, and the Belgian RF have to be a bit careful, because of Belgium?s mix of Walloons and Flemish. But he may well be a commoner.

TudorQueen

The RF posted photos of Elisabeth at one of her last training events at the Military academy as she finishes up her one year program.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRGldPwlTEO/

Curryong

Elizabeth resembles both parents but more her father, I think. Now I suppose it?s on to University!

TudorQueen

Princess Astrid married an Austrian Archduke (even if the title is defunct). In 1995 4 years after succession laws changed so Astrid was now in line for the throne, her husband was made Prince Lorenz of Belgium. He carries both Prince of Belgium and Ardhcue of Austria-Este.

Their children are both Prince/ss of Belgium and Archduke/archduchess of Austria-Este.

Margrethe of Denmark married Count Henri de Laborde de Monpezat. He was made a Prince of Denmark and later prince consort when his wife took the throne. But the count title continued (though purely courtesy).

Their sons are now Princes of Denmark and Counts de Monpezat

Princess Caroline of Monaco married Prince Ernst August of Hannover. His title never changed. Unlike Belgium, the Monaco titles are not passed down by a woman, so the couple's daughter Alexandra is only a Princess of Hannover.

Beatrix's husband was  His Royal Highness Prince Claus of the Netherlands, Jonkheer van Amsberg.

Their sons and their non royal house grandchildren (Friso and Constantijn's) are Jonkheer van Amsberg as well Count/Countess of Orange-Nassau

Queen Wilhemina's husband was  His Serene Highness Prince Bernhard of Lippe-Biesterfeld when they wed. He became His Royal Highness Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands, Prince of Lippe-Biesterfeld[when they married.

Their daughters were all Princess of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, Princess of Lippe-Biesterfeld

Philip there was pressure for him to drop the Greek titles before he married Elizabeth. The war having ended recently, there was not a great sentiment for foreigners at the time. It seemed the best choice at the time. That decision was one made in the UK (not in any other country) and was based on the time it was done.

It would likely be when she became queen, that he would drop the use of his own title in formal address.  When Beatrix and her mother were on the throne, their husbands were simply referred to as The Prince of the Netherlands (they reverted back to using their own title as well as their Dutch title, when their wives abdicated).

So say she married (just as example of a prince close enough to her in age who is not an heir) Prince Felix of Denmark.

On marriage he becomes Prince Felix of Belgium, Prince of Denmark.

When his wife is Queen he is simply The Prince of Belgium (or whatever title they decide to give the reigning queen's husband)

TLLK

I'm hoping that in the future that we'll see other European female heirs to the throne completing similar military training programs much like their fathers did in their youth.  As I recall, CP Victoria did take part in some form of training but not the full one.

Belgium?s future queen approaches end of historic military training ? Royal Central

PrincessOfPeace

Princess Elisabeth has participated in a three-day internship at the Commando Training Centre and with that completed her year at the Royal Military School.

Bilder und Fotos - Getty Images

Princess Elisabeth aces rope skills in military uniform on three-day course | Daily Mail Online

TudorQueen

Elisabeth really seems to have thrived during the year and done well. She looks impressive  :flower3:

I am still anxious to learn what she will be doing this fall.

Gabriel is 18 next month. Does he still have another year of high school? Or should we also be looking for an announcement on college or military for him soon as well?

Curryong

I think Elizabeth will be studying overseas for a year or two next, but of course Covid will have the last word on that. She may have followed her father and studied in the US in normal circumstances, and perhaps she will still do that but a bit later than planned.

As for Gabriel, I don?t know what his interests are apart from sport. He may follow his sister and do some military training, maybe take up a military career of some kind in the future. We will have to see, I guess.

TudorQueen

Quote from: Curryong on August 01, 2021, 12:13:49 AM
I think Elizabeth will be studying overseas for a year or two next, but of course Covid will have the last word on that. She may have followed her father and studied in the US in normal circumstances, and perhaps she will still do that but a bit later than planned.

As for Gabriel, I don?t know what his interests are apart from sport. He may follow his sister and do some military training, maybe take up a military career of some kind in the future. We will have to see, I guess.

Gabriel I was more wondering if he is finished school this year or not. I wasn't certain if he was just a year behind her in school or not.

I do hope if he goes the military route its because he truly wants it. And not simply following in the steps of the man on his family. Elisabeth it was important due to her future role. I guess Gabriel can do what she did, but even that I hope would purely be by choice.

Elisabeth I think will likely go to school in Belgium for undergraduate. If she does a masters like her dad, I can see going abroad.

While Philippe did go abroad, he did a full three year program at the military college, before doing his graduate studies abroad. It will likely be seen as important Elisabeth do some of her education in Belgium, especially after 2 years in Wales. As the heir she has less wiggle room then her siblings do.

Anyways as fall approaches I am anxious to hear something. If she was doing a gap like Amalia, I'd think we'd have heard. We had heard long before this point last year, about the military academy.

Curryong

I have just read that Princess Elizabeth, Duchess of Brabant, who is 19 years old, has passed the exam to study at Oxford University (Lincoln College.) She will be taking a three year degree in History/Politics.

So that will be three young European Princesses studying in the UK!

?On 31 August 2021, the Belgian Royal Palace announced that in October 2021, she will start studying History and Politics at Lincoln College, University of Oxford[9].

Elisabeth speaks Dutch, French, German and English.[10]?

From Wiki, but I also read this on another royal forum. 

PrincessOfPeace

From October, Princess Elisabeth will follow a three-year program in "History and Politics" at Lincoln College in @UniofOxford. The Princess will return regularly to Belgium and will remain involved in Belgian public life.

https://twitter.com/MonarchieBe/status/1432599287381348353?s=20

Curryong

A timeline of the 15th centuries old Lincoln College, one of the smaller and friendlier of the Oxford Colleges.

History | Lincoln College Oxford

John Le Carre and ?Dr? Seuss were graduates there (at different times.)

TLLK

Congratulations to Elisabeth on her acceptance to Lincoln College! It's hard to believe that many of the young heirs to the throne and their siblings are now at this age and stage in life. Phillipe and Mathilde will now have two children based in the UK for their education.

TudorQueen

I was wondering when we would hear about her plans. Oxford is impressive. History and politics make sense for her future career. Be different in October for her parents with two kids off in another country. At least they have experience since Elisabeth was in wales for two years.

So four European royal kids in school in the uk this fall, two heirs and two spares.

Hope Elisabeth has good experience at Lincoln. Great school to get into.

Macrobug67

TLLK

Heirs: Elisabeth and Leonor.
Spares:Alexia and Gabriel

Macrobug67

Riiigh.   Duh.  I just read that the other day.  Great memory.  Just short. 

Curryong

Quote from: Macrobug67 on August 31, 2021, 11:57:15 PM
Riiigh.   Duh.  I just read that the other day.  Great memory.  Just short.

It?s so easy to forget about poor old Gabriel and others in non British royal Houses who turn up momentarily in news about their tertiary education etc, we discuss it briefly on forums, and then it?s gone. I too had forgotten all about him going to the UK for a year.