Camilla's Literacy patronages

Started by TLLK, January 30, 2019, 01:41:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightowl

Quote from: Curryong on January 31, 2024, 05:25:35 AM
This is a wonderful project. However it?s a great shame that a genuinely popular author like JK Rowling who encouraged a whole generation of children to read, wasn't asked to contribute a story. People like Conan Doyle whose works sold like hot cakes in the first quarter of the 20th century contributed a tiny story in the original library. However, with the exception of Anthony Horowitz and a couple of others, the 21st century compilers haven?t bothered with popular British authors.

And as for recipe books, instead of nepotism running wild, what about Mary Berry?

Birthdate: March 24, 1935
Birthplace: Bath, Somerset, England
Author of over 75 cookbooks, Mary Berry has also hosted several culinary shows, such as Mary Berry Cooks. The Guardian ranked her the second-best-dressed person over 50. A CBE and DBE recipient, she has also received the Guild of Food Writers Lifetime Achievement Award and an honorary degree.

Mary Berry, Oh how I love this woman and her cooking, I watch all her shows when on and even record them to rewatch. I even made a fish dish  about a year ago she had on and my son got me one of her cookbooks on holiday cooking for Christmas this year.  She is a treasure, that woman can cook anything and I would love to just be a viewer in one of her shows.  And she gives small bits of history wherever she is at the moment......a very interesting woman!

PrincessOfPeace

The Queen has opened this year's Charleston Festival – to celebrate the power of books and reading for children and young people.

Appearing alongside Children's Laureate Joseph Coelho and local primary school children, Her Majesty named Victorian novelist Frances Hodgson Burnett as one of her favourite writers – before joking that she herself, is not Victorian. Report by Matthew Covell

Queen Camilla visits the Church of St Mary and Lamb House in Rye, East Sussex. Historic Lamb House, once home to novelists Henry James, Rumer Godden and E.F. Benson, also hosts a literature collection the Queen viewed as part of a tour of the property. Her Majesty then attended a garden party where she met with Oscar winner Hayley Mills, and actor Timothy West among other guests. Report by Matthew Covell.