The Charities of the Duchess of Cambridge

Started by PrincessOfPeace, May 15, 2014, 10:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

Quote from: wannable on October 14, 2014, 10:06:34 AM
UK islands, promoting sailing and marine industry is an alternative to sport and work. Surely coastal people appreciate the trust and her being the patron. She did a summer work during high school at a yatch. Princess Anne a keen sailor will be proud. And the Military navy too.

Speaking as a resident of Santa Monica bay in So Cal I'd like to thank you for the reminder that this activity/sport this offers employment to many people who live in coastal areas. Tourists who choose to visit these areas then can patronize other shops, restaurants, hotels etc...I agree that they would like a member of the BRF to be their patron.

Limabeany

Only an idiot would appreciate a patron who is not involved in or has shown interest in the activity they are part of, the people who seek royal patronages are starting to seem like royal hangers on.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Eri

Who now Days has money to sail in luxurious Yachts? This woman is a JOKE !!! Another "Charity" she WON'T bother visit ...

Canuck

Kate was at the launch of the America's Cup bid in June, and was scheduled to visit the training centre for the announcement yesterday but had to cancel because she's still ill.  I think it's a little early to decide she doesn't care and won't show up for something that's a brand new charity, a new patronage for her, and that she has already made one appearance for and had planned to make a second.

TLLK

:goodpost: As mentioned earlier, she also participated in the race with William during their visit to Australia. She has sailing experience as well. There are hundreds of patronages taken on by royals around the world where the patron has little or no experience with the charity, cultural activity or society ie: Microcredit-Only one royal patron who actually had a career with the banking industry-then Princess Maxima. Yet the program was still patronized by royal women ie: GD Maria Teresa, then Duchess of Brabant Mathilde who brought attention to this UN initiative.

While it is logical to seek out a patron who does have past interest or experience with a charity, cultural activity etc.. like Kate does with sailing it isn't a requirement. :)

Limabeany

Quote from: TLLK link= :sneeze:topic=72177.msg1308066#msg1308066 date=1413304168
As mentioned earlier, she also participated in the race with William during their visit to Australia.
Those are her credentials, the woman is a joke. This further establishes the royal family's patronages as photops for royal fans with charities.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Canuck

I don't think TLLK meant to suggest that was her *only* credential.  Kate has long been involved in sailing -- as others have noted, for example, she was on a crew in the round the world yacht race during her gap year.  But even if she didn't have that history, that wouldn't mean she couldn't be a good patron for this initiative.  What matters is that she has some interest in it and will help to raise the profile of the bid (for both potential sponsors and the public at large).  So far, she's done that.

Eri

Th comments are priceless Kate is a JOKE and as such she is treated at this point I would pretty much prefer if The Palace announced she will only be a wife and mother because she is failing at every turn on this being a Royal thing ...

HistoryGirl

Limabeany

Quote from: Canuck on October 14, 2014, 11:51:08 PM
I don't think TLLK meant to suggest that was her *only* credential.  Kate has long been involved in sailing -- as others have noted, for example, she was on a crew in the round the world yacht race during her gap year.  But even if she didn't have that history, that wouldn't mean she couldn't be a good patron for this initiative.  What matters is that she has some interest in it and will help to raise the profile of the bid (for both potential sponsors and the public at large).  So far, she's done that.
She has not long been involved in sailing, she served drinks on a yacht during her gap year in tight shorts and sailed with William on the Tour, she has no credentials.  Why are people intent on rewriting her history to make her look good instead of making her responsible for that herself? She isn't a good patron for any initiative given her lack of interest in anything, evidenced by the ridiculous amount of time she dedicates to her charities. I agree with @Eri  the Palace should just announce that she will be a housewife and a mother and get this patron-Kate nonsense over with.

Canuck

Well, the trust asked her to be a patron, and she has already garnered quite a bit of publicity for it, so I'd guess they're quite happy with that decision so far.

I could have sworn that people here have been saying for months that Kate needs more patronages and should get more involved with sporting causes because she looks engaged while at those events.  So she chooses a cause that's both a national team for Britain and that will be providing opportunities for kids from diverse backgrounds, and yet she still gets criticized for that.  Almost like there's nothing she could do that wouldn't cause some people to criticize her.   :orchid:

(And no, she did not just serve drinks while on the race crew.  There's plenty of information out there about that experience, if you're interested in learning about it.)

TLLK

^^^If the trust asked her to be a patron then they (sailing experts) believe that she was the right choice. They (sailing experts) could have requested another member of the BRF but opted to ask for one that had experience with the sport.  :)

And I agree that there are plenty of posts regarding the Duchess' education, hobbies, work experience etc.. that should provide plenty of information about her background.  :wink: All available at a click of a mouse.

Limabeany

She worked in one during her gap year and went on one during her tour of Oz, the nada and now we are supposed to believe she has always been interested in yachting? Why do her fans insist on rewriting history? We know royal fans with charities are always pleased with their royal patrons and grateful to be able to namedrop them on their friends, but it is silly...

SophieChloe

I totally agree, @Limabeany.  I served cakes and refreshments in my youth - does not make me qualified to be Patron of Costa. 

My main gripe with Kate is, she seems not to give a hoot about the Patronages she already has.  Why bother adding this one? 

Double post auto-merged: October 15, 2014, 07:18:10 PM

Quote from: TLLK on October 15, 2014, 06:43:28 PM
And I agree that there are plenty of posts regarding the Duchess' education, hobbies, work experience etc.. that should provide plenty of information about her background.  :wink: All available at a click of a mouse.
That's her downfall, TLLK.  From the click of a mouse, we know just how damn lazy she has always (and continues) to be.   
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

wannable

What has been rewritten? Royal corespondents have also said she regularly would sail with her family.

I don't see anything wrong doing a summer job as a deckhand whilst a teenager. Is it degrading?

Canuck

Quote from: Limabeany on October 15, 2014, 07:10:46 PM
She worked in one during her gap year and went on one during her tour of Oz, the nada and now we are supposed to believe she has always been interested in yachting? Why do her fans insist on rewriting history?

I'm honestly very confused by the insistence that Kate has no experience or interest sailing.  I have read dozens of articles that discuss that very fact. 

Here's members of the America's Cup team board talking about their conversations with Kate about sailing:

QuoteFormer Channel 4 boss Lord Grade, a board member of Britain's bid to win the race, said of Kate: "She's a keen sailor, she loves her sailing clearly, you can just tell. You can see it in her eyes. It's great for everybody she's got behind it and supporting it."

Sir Keith Mills, also a board member, said Sir Ben had offered to take Prince George out on the water when he is old enough, and Kate readily agreed.

Sir Keith, who was deputy chairman of the London 2012 organising committee, said of the Duchess: "We were all sharing sailing stories and sailing is in her family."

Kate Middleton indulges passion for sailing and lends support to America's Cup bid - Mirror Online

Here's one about the Australia engagement (which certainly showed she had some experience sailing, or she wouldn't have been able to do as well as she did):

Quote"William was a good sailor but Kate pushed us around into a bad position. She did very well.

Kate Middleton's nautical style wows New Zealand as she beats husband Prince William in battle on seas - Independent.ie

From her statement on becoming patron of this trust:

Quote"I feel very fortunate to have enjoyed sailing from a young age and I know it is a great way of providing young people with the opportunity to develop skills and confidence.

And this has been on her official bio as long as I can remember:

QuoteThe Duchess's hobbies include recreational sports such as hill walking, tennis, swimming, sailing, and the arts such as photography and painting.

No one is saying she's the second coming of Ben Ainslie.  But she's spent some time sailing, she enjoys it, and that would seem to make her a good fit for this patronage.  I don't understand the drama here.   :orchid:

TLLK

Quote from: SophieChloe on October 15, 2014, 07:14:48 PM
I totally agree, @Limabeany.  I served cakes and refreshments in my youth - does not make me qualified to be Patron of Costa. 

My main gripe with Kate is, she seems not to give a hoot about the Patronages she already has.  Why bother adding this one? 

Double post auto-merged: October 15, 2014, 07:18:10 PM

Quote from: TLLK on October 15, 2014, 06:43:28 PM
That's her downfall, TLLK.  From the click of a mouse, we know just how damn lazy she has always (and continues) to be.   
She would have had her second visit to the group in 2014 recently, but she was ill. And I disagree regarding the information about Kate or any other royal. For those willing to read it thoroughly they'd uncover more facts about their  interests, education etc...than pure fiction.

Double post auto-merged: October 15, 2014, 08:10:30 PM

Well perhaps the group would have been better off requesting a member of the BRF who becomes sea sick while on a flume ride at Legoland, has a deep fear of water and has never heard the terms stern, bow, port, and aft.  :P :teehee:

cinrit

I don't get it ... there've been complaints that Kate hasn't added new patronages in awhile.  Now she has.  Isn't that what we all want?

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

wannable

cinrit

Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

SophieChloe

She could have a list as long as her hair.  Means nothing if she does not bother to visit or show an interest in them. 
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

Limabeany

Kate Middleton spent a few weeks during her gap year on a yacht, then she went on a yacht during the tour and sunbathed while riding in one a few times, how does this translate into an interest in yachting? You all keep pointing to Kate Middleton being interested in yachting, how has she shown this throughout her life?

:goodpost: @SophieChloe

Canuck

Limabeany, multiple sources have discussed Kate learning to sail as a kid and spending time sailing with her family.  Her statement on the new patronage says the same.  Her official bio lists it as an interest.  She spent part of her gap year crewing a boat, and we've recently seen her demonstrate that she knows how to sail.  I'm not sure what other proof you're looking for?

Limabeany

The Palace lists everything as an interest, nothing to show for those interests though... Her official bio is an attempt to rewrite history so that she can appear to have had a life beyond waiting for William to propose. She took the helm in Oz, that is not evidence that she can sail but that she can use her hands.  I have done that dozens of times and that does not make me a sailor as you are all insisting Kate is.

TLLK

@Canuck, @wannable and @cinrit Even though she crewed on a yacht during her gap year why on earth would a sailing team want  a patron with that type of background? :teehee: Logic demands that this British group should go with a royal with a fear of water from a landlocked nation like Luxembourg. Loads of members in that family so someone should fit that description.  :lol: