Queen of Hawaii demands independence from 'US occupiers'

Started by Jenee, July 01, 2008, 03:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenee

Telegraph

The United States is an illegal occupying force that should hand the 132 islands of Hawaii back to the monarchy overthrown more than a century ago, according to members of a Native Hawaiian sovereignty movement.

Whoa, I think I'm having déjà vu
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

QueenK

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

koolkat

Jenee

koolkat

oh never knew that. actually i dont really know anything about hawaii other than its a nice,peaceful place to go on vacation, come to think of it.

Jenee

I didn't know a whole lot about it either - well until that other article I linked to came out in 2006 (gosh that was a long time ago!)... it has a really interesting history!

princessealiénor

Jenee

Same case in that they have an interesting history, or that there is an underground monarchy revival revolution going on??

SweetHomeNC

I can't see Hawaii ever getting the monarchy back, let alone becoming independent from the US.

Jenee

I absolutely agree. It would be like the Québécois breaking from Canada!

koolkat

QueenK

Yeah, Hawaii has the only royal palace in all of the US.
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Kuei Fei

Quote from: Jenee on July 04, 2008, 06:42:21 AM
I absolutely agree. It would be like the Québécois breaking from Canada!

They wouldn't last a minute without the United States.

Hawaii did have a monarchy, but it ended when planters began getting powerful, lobbied for statehood, and after Hawaii was incorporated into the United States as the 51st state the monarchy was abolished and the last Queen died without any children.

Anyone claiming to be a Queen of Hawaii is a pretender. This whole thing is a bunch of nationalistic idiots who for some reason believe that Hawaii will become this great superpower if they break away.

Hawaii is a hugely strategic area in the Pacific, which is why the Japanese attacked it instead of the mainland. If someone conquered Hawaii, they would have a toehold from which to launch a full invasion against the United States. I believe that's why it was made a state.

Jenee

The 51st state Kuei? :P

That theory makes some sense - although we do have naval bases in other countries, so there must have been some other pull too

Kuei Fei

Sorry, brainfart. The 50th state then.

Either way there is no freaking way the US government is going to allow Hawaii to secede. It's too strategic to lose.

Rhiannon*

Plus if Hawaii became its own country, it would probably be 3rd world within a couple years. Most Americans, for whatever reason, don't have passports and therefore would stop visiting. Since tourism is the main industry on those islands....

My parents live there, I just returned from vacation there, I believe the only people who think like this are, as Kuei Fei said, the nationalistic idiots who are concentrated on Oahu anyway. Native Hawaiians are fiercely proud of their culture and history but not in that way.

Kuei Fei

This sort of thing reminds me of times when black militants want to create a black nation in the US by taking over a state or a large amount of territory. Never happened, never will.

A lot of these weirdos think that somehow they know how to run a country and will somehow manage to create a military and become a superpower. With themselves in charge of course.