A Speech by HRH The Prince of Wales at the Inclusive Capitalism

Started by cinrit, May 28, 2014, 01:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

QuoteLord Mayor, Ladies and Gentlemen, I can only thank The Lord Mayor most warmly for her truly kind introduction and also, even more warmly, congratulate Lady Rothschild and the City of London for managing to bring together such a remarkable group of people.  I am sure I could benefit from learning how you do it!

Somewhat bewildered by being asked to join such a stratospheric group of financial, economic and business experts, I can only assume it may be partly due to my efforts over the past thirty-one years to encourage the concept of corporate social and environmental responsibility.  Thirty-one years ago, not many people were interested I can assure you.  I remember when the Iron Curtain came down there was a certain amount of shouting about the triumph of Capitalism over Communism.  Being somewhat contrary, I didn't think it was quite as simple as that.  I felt that unless the business world considered the social, community and environmental dimensions, we might end up coming full circle.  Hence my efforts to build effective partnerships between the private, public and N.G.O. - or civil society - sectors.

Whatever the case, what is so impressive about today's gathering is that every one of you ladies and gentlemen is so well-placed to take the kind of action needed to create a new form of inclusive Capitalism.  It is crucial, if I may say so, but it will need strong leadership, unbounded energy, determination and not a little daring.

More: Speech

Cindy

Double post auto-merged: May 28, 2014, 01:50:07 PM

QuotePrince Charles: Reform Capitalism to Save the Planet

Prince Charles has called for an end to capitalism as we know it in order to save the planet from global warming.  In a speech to business leaders in London, the Prince said that a "fundamental transformation of global capitalism" was necessary in order to halt "dangerously accelerating climate change" that would "bring us to our own destruction".

He called for companies to focus on "approaches that achieve lasting and meaningful returns" by protecting the environment, improving their employment practices and helping the vulnerable to develop a new "inclusive capitalism".

More: Prince Charles: reform capitalism to save the planet - Telegraph

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

HereditaryPrincess

QuotePrince Charles has launched a blistering attack on free market economics - calling for a radical shake-up of capitalism to save the planet.
The outspoken royal said society's 'current operating model' was destroying the environment and should be transformed to tackle the growing threat of climate change.
Charles, 65, urged some of the world's most powerful business leaders to make unpopular decisions or risk 'bringing us to our own destruction'.

Prince Charles says capitalism must change to save the environment | Mail Online

QuoteOn Tuesday, Prince Charles spoke to an audience representing one third of the world's investible income to persuade them to consider the threat of climate change.
He delivered his speech at the Conference on Inclusive Capitalism, at the Mansion House and Guildhall. In attendence was head of the IMF Christine Lagarde, former US President Bill Clinton, Bank of England governor Mark Carney.
The purpose of the conference is to try to launch a discussion about capitalism's current problems and ways to solve them.

Video: Prince Charles urges business leaders to consider climate change - Telegraph

sandy

Charles should leave this to the economists who know more than he does. He is a dabbler but at least he reads and knows about current events which is more than can be said for William.