The Education and preparation of the Wales Children

Started by TLLK, March 24, 2017, 11:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sara8150

sara8150

Inside Lambrook School: The prep school where royals George, Charlotte and Louis will go | Daily Mail Online

Femail reveals the schools favoured by royalty | Daily Mail Online
QuoteLambrook School, which has existed since 1860, is also where two of Queen Victoria's grandsons, Prince Christian Victor and Prince Albert of Schleswig-Holstein, were pupils in 1878.

Queen Victoria used to travel from Windsor Castle to Lambrook to watch her grandchildren in plays and cricket matches - and parked her carriage where the new Queen's building now stands so she could watch from there.

Its new royal charges will enjoy a nurturing education at the wholesome, co-educational independent day and boarding school for three to 13-year-olds near Ascot, just a 10-minute drive from their new home in Windsor.
Lambrook is 162 years since 1860

sara8150

QuoteThe decision has not been without controversy. As Richard Kay wrote in yesterday's Mail, at the time of an exploding cost-of-living crisis, taking possession of a third home could look clumsily insensitive.

William's educational path was, by contrast, solidly single-sex. At four he was sent to Wetherby Preparatory School (all boys) in West London and then spent five years as a boarder at Ludgrove before heading to Eton College.

It was Prince Charles and Princess Diana who chose to send William and Harry to Eton instead of the Royal Family's alma mater Gordonstoun, which Prince Charles described as 'Colditz in kilts'. They wanted to ensure the brothers ? once the firmest of friends ? could support each other through difficult times. And they did.

At Eton, times could be tough, often because of events outside the gates. He once invited nanny Tiggy Legge-Bourke to attend his June 4 picnic celebrations in place of his parents.

His housemaster Dr Andrew Gailey was an important source of support ? it was in his study that William watched his mother's bombshell Panorama interview in which she revealed there were three people in her marriage.

Dr Gailey's role in William's young life earned him an invitation to the royal wedding in 2011 and the title of Commander of the Royal Victorian Order (CVO).

Dr Gailey was cited as influencing William's university choice, having studied at St Andrews himself.

By contrast to her husband, the Duchess of Cambridge enjoyed her own formative years far away from the goldfish bowl of royal life, at her rural prep school in Pangbourne.

She loved her time at St Andrew's School. It was there that she developed her passion for sport ? swimming, hockey and netball ? and also for drama (she played the lead role of Eliza Doolittle in a production of My Fair Lady).

Evidence of just how much she relished her time there and why she might have sought something similar for her own children can be found in words she shared with pupils when she visited in 2012.

'It is such a treat to be back here,' she said. 'I absolutely loved my time here; they were some of my happiest years . . . in fact, I enjoyed it so much that when I had to leave, I told my mother that I was going to come back to be a teacher.

'It was while I was here at school that I realised my love of sport. Sport has been a huge part of my life, and I feel incredibly grateful for the opportunities I had to get outside and play in such wonderful open spaces.'

If there were any less happy aspect to Kate's school years, it would perhaps be her two-term stint at her first secondary school, Downe House, an all-girls independent boarding school also in Berkshire.

She was a day pupil, not a boarder, and was by all accounts quite miserable.

The headmistress at the time denied Kate was bullied, although conceded a 'catty' atmosphere may have left her feeling like a fish out of water. At her 2011 wedding, Beatbullying was one of the charities the couple asked guests and well-wishers to donate to.

Whatever the root of the problem, Kate left in the middle of the academic year and went on to enrol at co-educational (just like Lambrook) Marlborough College, in Wiltshire, as did both her siblings. Here, Kate thrived ? as she no doubt hopes her own three children will.

It is surely no coincidence that Lambrook is only 30 miles from the children's grandparents, Michael and Carole Middleton, who will doubtless have been consulted.
Beth Hale examines William and Kate's own classroom years as they choose co-ed school for children | Daily Mail Online

Prince William and Kate following Diana's 'normal' tradition for George, Charlotte & Louis | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

The Cambridges defended by James Max for adding an extra home | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

William and Kate's ?53k-a-year in school fees at Lambrook school | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Prince William 'sends clear message' with Windsor move 'Highly significant' | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis' 'magical' new school | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Kate Middleton and Prince William?s children to follow in historic royal footsteps | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Kate and William 'packed up the kids' in search of 'privacy' at new Windsor estate | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Prince George, Charlotte and Louis' arrival at new Berkshire school sparks frenzy | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/royals/prince-william-drive-george-charlotte-27809041

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/royals/cambridge-familys-new-windsor-life-27802469

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/royals/scandalous-past-kate-middleton-williams-27802028

https://royalcentral.co.uk/uk/cambridge/take-a-look-at-the-ascot-school-that-will-soon-welcome-george-charlotte-and-louis-as-students-179768/

Nightowl

I am really beginning to think that all these *Tabloids* have is people sitting at a desk making up stories and lies and assumptions just to get click bait for money. There is NO truth in any of these news articles it seems like, so now if BP or a member of the royal family actually comes out and says something I will then beieve it....maybe!

sara8150

How Prince Harry and Prince William's mum Princess Diana changed education for the royals | HELLO!
Duchess of Cambridge follow late Diana,Princess of Wales examples

QuoteThe Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have made the decision to send their three children to Lambrook school in September.

MORE: Prince George and Charlotte start school next month - see their surprising schedule

But the British royal family?s education over the years has changed with the times and it?s all down to Princess Diana, who wanted to give sons Prince William and Prince Harry an ordinary upbringing.

William became the first future monarch to be entirely educated in the public school system, starting at Mrs Mynors' nursery in Notting Hill in September 1985, before going to Wetherby Prep School two years later. Following this, William attended Ludgrove independent boarding school in Wokingham and then he was admitted to Eton College in 1995 after passing the entrance exam.

In contrast, his grandmother the Queen and her sister Princess Margaret were home-schooled in Buckingham Palace by their governess Marion Crawford and private tutors, as was tradition. Their lessons at the palace concentrated on history, language, literature and music. When her father George VI became king in 1936, the then Princess Elizabeth received private tuition in constitutional history from Eton College?s Vice-Provost, Henry Marten, as she prepared for her future role as monarch.

Similarly, her eldest child and heir to the throne Prince Charles was taught by his governess Catherine Peebles at Buckingham Palace between the ages of five and eight, before he attended Hill House school in west London. He then followed in his father Prince Philip?s footsteps at Cheam Preparatory School in Berkshire and then Gordonstoun in Scotland.

While there have been conflicting reports over whether Charles enjoyed his time at boarding school, in an interview with the Observer Magazine in 1974, the Prince said: "I am glad I went to Gordonstoun. It wasn't the toughness of the place - that's all much exaggerated by report - it was the general character of the education there - Kurt Hahn's principles; an education which tried to balance the physical and mental with the emphasis on self-reliance to develop a rounded human being. I didn't enjoy school as much as I might have, but that was only because I'm happier at home than anywhere else."

Charles' siblings Princess Anne, Prince Andrew and Prince Edward were also taught by a governess within the palace walls, who would have been responsible for their early education. At the age of 13, Anne was sent to Benenden School, an independent boarding school for girls in Kent, where she later left with six O-Levels and two A-Levels in 1968. After their initial home-schooling, Andrew and younger brother Edward both attended Heatherdown, a prep school for boys in Ascot, before going to Gordonstoun.

But when it came to Prince William and Harry, Diana insisted on giving her children an education that was as normal as possible, outside palace walls. During her childhood, she was initially home-schooled by her governess, Gertrude Allen but later began her formal education at Silfield Private School, followed by Riddlesworth Hall, all-girls boarding school near Thetford, when she was nine. In 1973, she joined West Heath Girls? School in Sevenoaks, Kent, but failed her O-Levels twice. She did however show a particular talent for music, dancing and domestic science.

Before meeting Prince Charles, Diana was an assistant at the Young England Kindergarten school in Pimlico, a nursery, which used the Montessori method. It was therefore no surprise that she wanted her sons to be schooled in the same way ? a teaching method that balances work and play and encourages children to develop at their own rate.

Diana's former press secretary Patrick Jephson also told ABC News that Diana did her best to keep her boys grounded in other ways. "She made sure that they experienced things like going to the cinema, queuing up to buy a McDonalds, going to amusement parks, those sorts of things that were experiences that they could share with their friends," he said.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have followed suit with Prince George, as he began his education at Westacre Montessori nursery school in Norfolk in January 2016, when the Cambridges lived at Anmer Hall. He was enrolled at the co-educational Thomas?s Battersea in September 2017, which teaches pupils aged four to 13. It's too early to say whether nine-year-old George, who has enrolled at Lambrook School, will also follow in his father and uncle Prince Harry?s footsteps and go to Eton for his secondary school education.

The important life lessons Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis will learn at Lambrook school | HELLO!

Curryong

The Cambridge children certainly aren?t the first royal children to attend Lambrook. However, it?s rather ironic that the sons of Princess Christian (Lenchen, daughter of Queen Victoria) ended up with very different destinies. Prince Christian died in South Africa during the Boer War, while Prince Albert ended his days in Germany as a Duke, having inherited the honour from the brother of Dona, the Empress Consort of Germany. He served at HQ Army Command as a Staff Officer of the Imperial Army in Berlin during WW1.

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: Curryong on August 25, 2022, 11:46:19 PM
The Cambridge children certainly aren?t the first royal children to attend Lambrook. However, it?s rather ironic that the sons of Princess Christian (Lenchen, daughter of Queen Victoria) ended up with very different destinies. Prince Christian died in South Africa during the Boer War, while Prince Albert ended his days in Germany as a Duke, having inherited the honour from the brother of Dona, the Empress Consort of Germany. He served at HQ Army Command as a Staff Officer of the Imperial Army in Berlin during WW1.
Yes, QV's children and grandchildren always make for interesting reading!  BTW by all accounts Helen had a very nice and close family, so it's so sad that both her sons died so young.

Curryong

Yes Christian and his wife were devoted to each other and their four surviving children were always close. Helena also had a baby boy who died at about a week old and another was stillborn. Three of the survivors never married (unusual for those days) and the sole daughter who did had a very unsatisfactory and cold husband who was reputedly gay. Her marriage remained unconsummated and ended in annulment. However Albert, who died in his 60s in Germany, fathered an illegitimate daughter, whom he did acknowledge shortly before his death.

sara8150

Quote from: Curryong on August 25, 2022, 11:46:19 PM

Correct

sara8150

Quote from: Princess Cassandra on August 26, 2022, 01:05:38 AM
Yes, QV's children and grandchildren always make for interesting reading!  BTW by all accounts Helen had a very nice and close family, so it's so sad that both her sons died so young.

I?m agreed with that

sara8150

Quote from: Curryong on August 26, 2022, 01:22:42 AM
Yes Christian and his wife were devoted to each other and their four surviving children were always close. Helena also had a baby boy who died at about a week old and another was stillborn. Three of the survivors never married (unusual for those days) and the sole daughter who did had a very unsatisfactory and cold husband who was reputedly gay. Her marriage remained unconsummated and ended in annulment. However Albert, who died in his 60s in Germany, fathered an illegitimate daughter, whom he did acknowledge shortly before his death.

Yes

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: Curryong on August 26, 2022, 01:22:42 AM
I didn't know he had fathered a child. By all accounts he treated Louie badly. She was a very independent person who was interested in travel, history, and the out of doors. Perhaps Albert was just overwhelmed by her. Anyway, history is not kind to him.

Curryong

Quote from: Princess Cassandra on August 27, 2022, 02:35:49 AM
I didn't know he had fathered a child. By all accounts he treated Louie badly. She was a very independent person who was interested in travel, history, and the out of doors. Perhaps Albert was just overwhelmed by her. Anyway, history is not kind to him.

No, I was referring to Albert, Lenchen and Prince Christian of Schleswig Holstein?s son, not Aribert of Anhalt, who as far as I know had no children, and did treat Louie badly or coldly at least. It was just sad that Helena and Christian had no grandchildren to brighten their old age and didn?t know about this granddaughter born in Germany, and adopted into a prosperous Jewish family. Her mother was reputedly (rumours only) a German noblewoman, possibly unhappily married.

Albert didn?t acknowledge his daughter until shortly before his death early in the 1930s. He was by then Duke of SC.. Later on in the 1930s Nazi law forbade marriage between Gentiles and Jews and this daughter (who moved in high circles) wanted to marry a German aristocrat. Because she had been brought up by Jewish people the authorities wouldnt believe her documentation.

Her father was dead and so she wrote an appeal to her two aunts, Albert?s sisters, Louie and ?the Snipe?, and they wrote back with a letter signed by both that she was in fact Albert?s child. This was accepted and she married her fianc?. Unfortunately the marriage was unhappy and she divorced. There were no children of that marriage or a later one. She committed suicide in 1953.

So the fact that Albert fathered a child was known to his two sisters. I wonder whether Albert confided in his father (and possibly his brother before his death) as well. It?s an odd and rather sad story imo.

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: Curryong on August 27, 2022, 03:03:11 AM
No, I was referring to Albert, Lenchen and Prince Christian of Schleswig Holstein?s son, not Aribert of Anhalt, who as far as I know had no children, and did treat Louie badly or coldly at least. It was just sad that Helena and Christian had no grandchildren to brighten their old age and didn?t know about this granddaughter born in Germany, and adopted into a prosperous Jewish family. Her mother was reputedly (rumours only) a German noblewoman, possibly unhappily married.

Albert didn?t acknowledge his daughter until shortly before his death early in the 1930s. He was by then Duke of SC.. Later on in the 1930s Nazi law forbade marriage between Gentiles and Jews and this daughter (who moved in high circles) wanted to marry a German aristocrat. Because she had been brought up by Jewish people the authorities wouldnt believe her documentation.

Her father was dead and so she wrote an appeal to her two aunts, Albert?s sisters, Louie and ?the Snipe?, and they wrote back with a letter signed by both that she was in fact Albert?s child. This was accepted and she married her fianc?. Unfortunately the marriage was unhappy and she divorced. There were no children of that marriage or a later one. She committed suicide in 1953.

So the fact that Albert fathered a child was known to his two sisters. I wonder whether Albert confided in his father (and possibly his brother before his death) as well. It?s an odd and rather sad story imo.
Thank you so much for your post! I agree it is very sad. On another note, I am constantly impressed by the amount of knowledge posted on this forum - it benefits us all! And with respect to this thread, I hope that the thoughtful consideration given to the schools for the Cambridge children will have happy results. 

sara8150

I didn?t know about that and thanks for explained

TLLK

Prince William and Kate Middleton 'spend ?2k' on children's new school uniforms - details | HELLO!

Now I personally wore uniforms throughout my own Catholic school years from 2nd-12th grades. However the cost of my one brown plaid jumper and three white blouses for elementary/middle was certainly less than the ones that Charlotte will be wearing. For high school I had two fall/spring skirts and one winter skirt accompanied by three white blouses.

From looking at the school websites for my elementary and high schools, the uniform selection has many more choices these days.

As far as I can tell it's only these monarchies in which royal children are likely to be in uniform: UK, Spain, Monaco, Japan and Jordan. (Not sure about Indonesia, Brunei, South Asia,  Saudi Arabia, Morocco and the Middle Eastern kingdoms.)

Among the remaining European monarchies with school children-Belgium, Luxembourg, Denmark, Sweden, Norway and the Netherlands it appears that they don't require uniforms.

Curryong

I had white blouses, dark green skirts and a blazer (maroon colour) at my girls school. Also a beret with the school shield embroidered on it. There was a tie of Saxe blue and silver as well. Physical education uniform consisted of dark green bloomers, short green skirts over them and a white top, so there was quite a lot to buy. Uniforms were compulsory in British schools in my day. I believe it?s not so strict in some private UK schools now but uniforms, for egalitarian reasons still prevail.

sara8150

Nightowl

That is very interesting and I did not know that.  All the children of Victoria had troubled times in their lives from what I have read, guess being a prince or princess is all the fairytales make of it. Thanks for sharing that.

Amabel2

of  course they did.  It was still relatively common to lose childrne or to die prematurely of some illness that is now curable... and helena was quite unlucky.  So were Alice and Victoria... Beatrice had hemophiliac children.....