The Sussexes and Family General chat

Started by sara8150, May 06, 2020, 02:01:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curryong

Well, I've got my paws on Lady C's book today. Friends I'm staying with lent me their Kindle, and the book is on there, bought as a joke by them. I've read it.

My verdict on this serving of twaddle? What you might expect from Lady Colin judging by her past writings. A scattering of unnamed sources, 'a Prince', 'a cousin of the royals', 'a courtier' etc, all unnamed, along with what appears to be an all encompassing trawl of tabloid articles, social media outlets including Tumblr, plus the opinion of the author, almost invariably unflattering to both Meghan and Harry.

A sample. She states that Harry in asking formal permission to marry, told his grandmother the Queen that he intended to marry Meghan 'And if you don't like it you'll just have to suck it up'. Yes, that sounds exactly like how Harry would speak to the grandmother he reveres and respects!

Lady C further asserts that 'a Prince' was present at this meeting and told her that Harry told his grandparents that 'they would be accused of racism if they did not agree to the marriage!'

Apparently that threat worked !! as a few pages later Lady C states that 'the Queen and Prince Charles were particularly delighted with her virtues, not the least of which was her colour'. Source, same unnamed Prince. (It is one of Lady C's claims, long asserted on social media sites, that the BRF 'wished to appear diverse' and that is mainly why the Sussex marriage was allowed.)

Tons more, on the same lines as above.

Double post auto-merged: June 25, 2020, 03:33:25 AM

There have been assertions on social media for two years that Harry and Meghan were ordered out of Charles's garden party after 15 minutes by Charles and Camilla, a few days after their wedding.

Lady Colin's take on it is, supposedly garnished from a Household official who told her at a dinner, that 'after 15 minutes of mingling and greeting, Meghan turned to Harry and said 'Harry, this is boring. Let's leave.' He said 'No, we have to stay'. Meghan then repeated (according to this unnamed official) 'We've done our bit, everyone knows we've been here. Let's go!' Harry again reiterated that they were to stay, and they moved on among the guests.'

I do not believe this story, mainly because newly wed Meghan was anxious to keep a good relationship with Charles and this would have appeared as a terrible and rude snub.

wannable

I'm planning to read all of the books, including Andrew's.

Lady C today is No. 1 in UK, USA, Canada and Australia.

Princess Cassandra

I plan to read these books as well, keeping in mind as I read that nothing in life is black and white, and much of what is written is subjective and shaded by authors' opinions.

PS: Since she is American, I doubt Meghan would have said "we've done our bit". That is a British expression, or at least, it is not used in New England. We might say "We've done our share", or "we've done all we were supposed to do". Just sayin'.

Curryong

Quote from: Princess Cassandra on June 25, 2020, 08:34:22 PM
I plan to read these books as well, keeping in mind as I read that nothing in life is black and white, and much of what is written is subjective and shaded by authors' opinions.

PS: Since she is American, I doubt Meghan would have said "we've done our bit". That is a British expression, or at least, it is not used in New England. We might say "We've done our share", or "we've done all we were supposed to do". Just sayin'.

Yes, many though not all biographies are influenced by authors' opinions. However, most reputable biographers try their hardest to check facts that they intend to publish and not get stuff direct from sites set up on the Internet to attack their subjects. I have never for instance read a bio of a current show business personality and thought to myself 'I read this on so and so's Twitter or Tumblr page', whereas I did so lots of times with Lady C's book. 

She is also wholeheartedly partisan in her defence of Tom Markle senior, (she quotes a grandson and daughter in law of his that she invited to her house to stay who have been estranged from him for years and 'quotes' their praise of him) and of Charles in his marriage to Diana. Indeed she has hardly a good word to say about Diana as a wife and mother.

What is more, it is extremely unusual for an author to so completely dislike their subject (short of the subjects being cut-throat businessmen or criminals) as this author blatantly does with Meghan. What is more, it is very very rare for someone to write a bio on a person they have gone on TV interviews and consistently criticised for up to two years before.

Double post auto-merged: June 26, 2020, 12:57:51 AM

Quote from: wannable on June 25, 2020, 03:38:24 PM
I'm planning to read all of the books, including Andrew's.

Lady C today is No. 1 in UK, USA, Canada and Australia.

Gossip sells. You can write a dozen best sellers (which Lady C hasn't) and still not be a well regarded author. And that is especially true in the non-fiction sphere, where to a certain point you live and die on verifiable and sourced FACTS appearing in your biographies.

Making money  isn't the be all and end all of existence, even when writing books, or at least it shouldn't be to anyone with any integrity. IMO that leaves Lady C well out of the frame.

oak_and_cedar

I read her Diana biography. It was very one sided. It's too bad that the Spencer family didn't/couldn't sue on behalf of Diana. IMO

I'm going to try to read her book in a couple of months and see what it's about.

Curryong

Angela Levin, certainly no fan of Meghan btw, was at Prince Charles's garden party. She says here on this Twitter that she was there, Harry was asked to give a short speech, that they did not want to take attention away from Charles and that's why they only stayed for a short while. They were NOT told to leave.

She's a biographer and journalist.

Twitter

And, btw, the young man who interviews Lady Colin on her so unbiased videos spruiking her book is no more a Prince than I am.

He calls himself Prince Leon of Breithen Thurn. However someone on TRF did a check on his title and it died out in the male line in the 19th century. There is no trace of him in the Almanach de Gotha (the bible of nobility) no on genealogy bases online.

So the co-spruiker of this terrible book is as false an aristo as Lady Colin herself is. Very apt!

Curryong

Meghan gave a fun little message of support on the America's Got Talent finale for a contestant named Archie.

Meghan Markle Surprise Appearance on AGT Finale | PEOPLE.com

Princess Cassandra

Good for her! She looked like she was really enjoying it - completely natural.  Hope Archie's life keeps improving!

TLLK

Prince Harry heartbreak: Duke's godmother Lady Celia Vestey dies 'suddenly' | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

QuoteLady Celia, wife of Lord Samuel Vestey, was one of the six godparents chosen by Prince Charles and Princess Diana for Prince Harry in 1984

Curryong

Harry would undoubtedly have attended the funeral in a non Covid year, even when living in California. However, with the restrictions on numbers for funerals in the present circumstances, perhaps just a wreath, or Charles, whose friend she was, may do the honours for self and son. Lady Celia had a large family, I believe.

TLLK

@Curryong-Yes I do  believe that he'd have been there or requested someone  to represent him if this was not in the midst of a pandemic. From my reading over the years, the Wales brothers have made efforts to be present at funerals for those who  played a significant role in their lives especially their nannies.

wannable

It takes 2 seconds, 1 1000 2 2000 to say No. This is news.  :xmas1:

wannable

I have just noticed that the Queen's latest 2 statements; previous to the last (removal of honour titles and patronages) was directed to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. Today's statement is Harry, Meghan and Archie.

I think she knows these 2 will never stop talking or trashing the BRF.

Curryong

I do not believe that Harry and Meghan will say anything more in public about their lives as working royals or relationship with any member of the royal family. The Oprah interview was it IMO.

By the way, so glad to hear that Piers Morgan has quit his TV programme GMB. His ITV  bosses wanted him to apologise after the remarks he made about not believing that Meghan had had suicidal thoughts. There were 40,000 complaints from viewers. I watched a clip of him raving on about it, interrupting others etc.
This is the BEST NEWS I?ve had about a public figure in a long time.

Piers Morgan quits GMB latest - Live updates as Meghan Markle racism row sees host sensationally exit ITV show

FanDianaFancy

Part 1 , their autobiography. Part 2, OprahInterview.
Part 3  mental health crusaders and anti racism  talking heads.
I am not sure if Oprah closed her magazine, but  if not, then I see Megan writing for Oprah or other media.
The Netflix show , their first , might be about mental health. Big , in fashion, hot button issue.

No.
The USA CNN and talking head daytime tv shows ate all pro Megan. Sharon Osborne has The Talk, daytime tv show.
Megan n harrie too, have received a good 2-3 months mileage out of this . If they add to it, fine. If not, the media is on it here and in TUK for months to come.

Curryong

FanDianaFancy

Yes. Piers needed to hold back a long time ago like , January 1, 2021.
He should not have responded on this OprahInterview at all.
He could have been snarky and said on sir, isn?t nice. Isn?t that great. Super.  He should have been writing and speaking.
Why can he not and others do ?
The times we are in.
Megan is riding popular support in most of the media. If media does  not agree, they have been less vocal.
No one wants to be accused of racism. To not agree with Megan , you are a RACIST AND NEED YOBE CANCELED.

The climate we are in now. People in media are actually calling BFR racist.
Oh what about Harry wearing a Nazi costume, his racial slurs?
That is NOT the narrative that fits.

wannable

^ HMQEII ''Some recollections may vary''

Unauthorized caricature, after BBC received note from Harry and Meghan referencing 'we don't want old white men' to comment about us.

Harry initiating race conversation with family members, BP family Christmas lunch Dec 2017...finally we will have biracial non pasty white children with freckles and red hair. Queue in the members who commented.  You heard it here first.

TLLK

A little satire based on the Oprah interview. This time the Queen of Daytime TV sits down with Queen Elizabeth I. Yes QEI.  :lol:

CRAIG BROWN: Great Oprah Interviews From History - Queen Elizabeth I  | Daily Mail Online

wannable

I've seen several, technology wonders.  :notworthy:

Disclaimer: In the Sussex's board, 'Apology' thread, which clearly is a satire/parody initiated with a media link listing the material things the UK gave the couple, my comment of unathorized is a Direct Private Message with a ''political'' caricature emailed to me with a spam address, the author, which is very highend caricature, signed it xxxBanskyUknow, meaning Bansky is unknown with name/last name.  So please take it as you will.  Usually satires may mean according to Oxford dictionary is a use to expose and discredit vice or folly.  This last sentence added as conclusion. Ends.

TryingTimes

Quote from: TLLK on March 11, 2021, 03:13:17 PM
A little satire based on the Oprah interview. This time the Queen of Daytime TV sits down with Queen Elizabeth I. Yes QEI.  :lol:

CRAIG BROWN: Great Oprah Interviews From History - Queen Elizabeth I  | Daily Mail Online

LOL! The biggest laugh I've had in a long time!  Thanks so much for sharing!
"These are the times that try men's souls... Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value." --Thomas Paine

TLLK

Oh dear. I've seen actual posts from people on royal discussion forums claiming that a member of a royal family promised to marry them, but I have to say that this is a first. I hope that she receives the mental health care that she needs.