Prince Harry to host a party for Sentebale ....

Started by Princessinwaiting, April 24, 2014, 11:46:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limabeany

Prince Harry Marks 10th Anniversary of AIDS Charity 'Sentebale'

Prince Harry has attended a summer party to celebrate the 10th anniversary of his charity, Sentebale.

The charity works with Aids orphans and disadvantaged children in the African kingdom of Lesotho.

The Prince established Sentebale, which means 'forget me not' in the local Basotho dialect, after spending two months in the impoverished African kingdom of Lesotho during his gap year in 2004, when he saw for himself the impact of AIDS in the community.

Two years later, he returned to the landlocked region to set the foundations for the organisation.

His commitment to Sentebale is also in honour of his mother the Princess of Wales who was committed to the fight against AIDS. 
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Limabeany

Prince Harry celebrates African charity anniversary - Telegraph

Harry described how Sentebale was able to make a difference to a girl called Mokhotlong whom he first met 10 years ago when she was five. Soon afterwards the youngster's mother, who was HIV positive, died.

Speaking at the party, held at London's Dorchester Hotel, Harry said: "In February last year, I saw her again and am glad to say that Sentebale has been supporting her ever since I first met her and provides her with a bursary to attend secondary school.

"She is one of many and, when I see or hear the difference that Sentebale and its partners have made in the last 10 years, it is a constant reminder that, not only are we doing great things in this little African country, but how much we rely on the help and expertise of everyone around us.
"What a difference we can make if we all work together."

In his speech, Harry highlighted how the ravages of the HIV/Aids epidemic has left Lesotho with the third highest infection rate in the world and one in three of its children orphans.

He added: "At times the severity of severe poverty can be overwhelming. However it is through the dedication, passion and commitment of the Sentebale team, our community partners, local government - the children's longing to learn - and you tonight that we are battling with these issues and giving these children a chance of a happier future."

The evening opened with a performance by the Basotho Choir who sung a selection of traditional songs punctuated with warbling cries.

Prince Seeiso talked of his "beautiful, mountainous land-locked country" - but one that had been ravaged by poverty and disease. He also spoke about Harry's first visit to Lesotho and how they had travelled to the "furthest reaches" of the country to visit children orphaned by Aids.

He said: "Harry and I know what it is like to lose a parent, or parents in my case, and it is a combined desire to carry on our mothers' legacy of work that formed Sentebale."
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Limabeany

Prince Harry at Sentebale party: Prince makes first official appearance since split with Cressida Bonas - Mirror Online

Prince Harry made his first official public appearance since his split from girlfriend Cressida Bonas tonight, hosting a 10th birthday party for his charity Sentebale.

After his weekend of partying in Memphis at the wedding of best pal Guy Pelly, Harry was back to official duties welcoming guests to the bash for the charity set up in his late mother's memory.

Harry and co-founder Prince Seesio of Lesotho welcomed guests to London's Dorchester Hotel for drinks and dinner, then entertainment from singer Joss Stone and Bodyguard star Beverley Knight.

The prince looked upbeat on his arrival at the five star hotel despite his recent love split from blonde beauty Cressida , who was pictured looking glum in west London while he was in Memphis.

It is understood the pair intend to talk things through now Harry is home and friends say they may get back together.

Looking smart but relaxed in a suit but no tie, Harry chatted to a selection of Sentebale supporters on arrival including Joss Stone, street magician Troy and Westlife star Kian Egan and wife Jodi.

Afterwards Kian said: "When royalty walk into the room you kind of go 'aaah' but the thing about Harry is he's so relaxed."

Harry's cousin Peter Phillips and Canadian wife Autumn were also there to support him as well as his good friend and mentor Mark Dyer, his former Private Secretary Jamie Lowther Pinkerton and his Personal Private Secretary Helen Asprey.

Also attending was Prince William's close friend and rumoured ex-love Jecca Craig, whose family live in Kenya.

In a speech before dinner Harry said: "Tonight is about recognising individuals and organisations that have worked tirelessly to ensure these children get the help in life they so dearly need.

"Without their care and encouragement none of our achievements to date would have been possible."

ForeverYoung

Glad it appears to be a success. I wish the press could bring up Harry's activities and charitable works without dragging his love life into it. Especially since Cressida was never involved with Harry's charitable activities and had nothing to do with Sentebale and wasn't even rumored to attend this party. So them breaking up or Harry being dateless is irrelevant to this event and celebration.

robynrose

She  would never gone to this event it is Harry charity . He spent 10 yrs on this . He would not bring her . The WE Day was Holly ( Bransin event etc) she asked him and he went . He looked great . I had thought he looked tired at some past events . He looked great tonight .

cinrit

Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

HsHCharlene

I'm so proud of Harry. He decided to do something to make some sort of impact in the world and he has continued to do it for the past 10 years. Good to see some positive news for this young man.  :happy20:

HsHCharlene

Limabeany

I noticed the media didn't mention that she was there or at Guy's wedding... Since this would have eaten some of the goodwill from the Magical Tour, I wonder how controlled by Buckingham Palace is the UK media, considering the royals are exempt from disclosure in coverage other public servants are not exempt from...

Can anyone say Middle Ages?  :duel:

Sunny234

Yes, the British media did mention that Jecca attended the event unless The Daily Mirror is no longer published in the UK? Also, where are the photos indicating that she was even attending her friend Guy Pelly's wedding?  The character assassination of a private citizen is rather unnecessary in my opinion.

Limabeany

That hasn't stopped them from "assassinating" as you put it Chelsy's (private citizen) and Harry's whenever she is in the vicinity of Prince Harry (who is single). Jecca and William attending a wedding ( actually going out for the second time abroad) with Kate nowhere in sight, given that he is the Future King and married with a baby should be bigger news than Chelsy, Cressida and single Harry attending a wedding, my point was that the William and Jecca story was brushed under the carpet and only mentioned in passing and it is bigger news... Just as the other story of the Married Future King of the UK William dancing all night with other women (or men? as you prefer) is juicier than the Single brother of the Future King dancing/twerking with women, but guess who was in the headlines?

Limabeany

Limabeany

@ThomasWhitaker2

highlight of the Sentebale summer ball was Joss Stone dragging Prince Harry to his feet for a boogie. Full report in next week's @hellomag

cate1949

sounds like a great evening - much for Harry and his partners to be proud of and now Joss Stone is a official Sentebale Ambassador

cinrit

QuoteA Speech by Prince Harry at the Sentebale Summer Party, London

Thank you, Prince Seeiso

Thank you to everyone here tonight for showing your support. It's hugely appreciated.

One in three children in Lesotho are orphans and this small country has the third highest infection rates of HIV in the World.  At times, the severity of extreme poverty can be overwhelming.  However, it is through the dedication, passion and commitment of the Sentebale team, our community partners, local government – the children's longing to learn – and you here tonight that we are able to battle with these issues and giving these children a chance of a happier future.

In 2004, I visited a young girl called Mpolokeng and she was five years old at the time when I met her and her mother whilst up in Mokhotlong where my dear friend lives.  At the time her mother was HIV+ and sadly passed away shortly after my visit.  Her daughter was left to care for herself and her siblings.

More: Speech

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

robynrose

Limabeany just saw that video nice one . I see Adam Bidwell was there and Jamie . Great video