Earl Snowdon applies for a seat in the House of Lords

Started by TLLK, June 19, 2018, 01:36:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

Royal Family: Queen?s NEPHEW Lord Snowdon applies to be a Peer in House of Lords | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

QuoteThe Earl of Snowdon, 56, is already a hereditary peer, but is seeking to become a fully fledged member of the chamber, it was revealed yesterday.

He is one of 19 hereditary peers standing to make the step up in the House of Lords.

Only 92 hereditary peers are allowed to sit in the House of Lords at any one time, and a space has been left vacant following the death of Lord Snowdon?s father, Tony Armstrong Jones, the First Earl of Snowden, last year.

Only the hereditary peers who currently sit as crossbenchers in the Lords will be the ones who make the final decision on who wins the place.

Curryong

Interesting. However, I'm all for political participation if you are so inclined. And as a cross bencher Snowdon is not likely to get mired in any controversies.

Blue Clover

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on June 19, 2018, 03:06:26 AM
Interesting. However, I'm all for political participation if you are so inclined. And as a cross bencher Snowdon is not likely to get mired in any controversies.

Ok @Curryong-Can you give an American the quick "House of Lords" 101?

So as the new EoS, David is a hereditary peer, but he has to apply for a seat now in the HoL? What is a "cross bencher?"

Curryong

A cross bencher is a Peer or MP (they have cross benches in the Commons too) who is not aligned to a particular Politicsl party or stance. They vote on measures according to their conscience or informed point of view. Some cross benchers, in the Commons anyway, do have strong views on one particular subject though, which probably propelled them towards political participation, such as law and order issues, or rural matters being ignored. Not saying that is what has inspired Snowdon, but if he is elected I suppose we might see!

TLLK

@Curryong-Thank you! I do appreciate your knowledge on parliamentary forms of government. So one more question when a candidate stands for an election do they have to share with the public that they are not aligned with one of the political parties and plan on being a cross bencher?

Curryong

Yes, he will indicate that. Being a cross bencher is a great alternative in many ways.

TLLK

Thank you! It will be interesting to see if David will be elected to the HoL.