Prince Harry in media glare again

Started by sharon, March 05, 2004, 06:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abc

QuoteWell no that does not sound nuts. It makes a lot of senses.
I know it sounds wierd cause when I hear about it I say (probably like many of you) that I would never do that too myself but when you really look at the cause it makes sense, well sort of.  
So not only do you turn yourself on, but it's enough to need a cold shower? - me about lisa or should I say will

Don't lie, you miniature copy machine... :angry: - dcd

pixie

QuoteThis is kind of off topic, but have you guys heard that Harry has caught some heat for wearing an England shirt while he did that photocall? There was an article that slammed Harry for wearing that shirt and pleading for "charities in England" to aid Lesotho, when he is a prince of Great Britain, not just England. This reminds me of the rugby match when he was cheering on England aganist Wales.
1.  I feel like this is slightly different because he's not playing favorites at a game in between two countries he was equally bound to.  That was "I like England better and hope they win" and this is "my shirt happens to say England."  Wearing the shirt at the game, especially when you take into account Welsh history of nationalism, the importance of rugby in both countries and the importance of the World Cup in general, had a lot more meaning, or at least left itself open to more reading into. Because there's no direct competition going on here, it seems to me a very different matter.

2.  You, a private citizen, not expressing that you don't like two countries equally is a different matter from someone who may be the head of both of them doing the same thing.  Harry can have his individual thoughts on the manner, but it's wrong for him to voice them because, at the end of the day, both of their tax dollars payed to redo his house.  The monarchy's supposed to be a symbol of unity, so as one of its representatives he oughtn't go around playing favorites.
We always take a great deal of interest in American initiatives that are implicitly religious; we view them as an exotic quirk, like French presidents and their mistresses, or Austrians and their fascists.
-Zoe Williams

tkampenhout

Well yeah after all Diana had gone through what she did makes sense.