The Romanian Royal Family news, current events and general discussion

Started by TLLK, November 07, 2017, 05:16:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

Official list from Romanian Royal Family of the foreign royals who will attend the funeral. It's a mix of reigning and non-reigning houses.  In Romanian but it should be easy enough to sort out the names. The Romanian royals are related to nearly every royal house through their connections to the UK's Queen Victoria and Denmark's  Christian XI's descendants.

Familiile Regale participante la funeraliile Regelui Mihai I | Familia Regal? a Rom?niei / Royal Family of Romania  :xmas3:

Curryong

Yes it is easy, and a very distinguished group indeed gathered to pay tribute to the late King. He had connections all over, both familial and through friendships. The King and Queen of Sweden there and Juan Carlos and Sophia of Spain. I see Constantine of Greece won't be there but his wife and son will be, Charles solo but that was expected. Philip was just too old and frail to travel and Charles has a great interest in Romania anyway.

TLLK

^^^I noticed Constantine's absence too. I wonder if his mobility and health issues are keeping him at home, but I'm glad to see that Queen Anne Marie, Prince Nikolas and Princess Irene will be in attendance for the Greek Royal Family.

Kritter

Funeral of former King Michael I of Romania | Newmyroyals & Hollywood Fashion

QuoteToday, on December 5, funeral of Romanian former King Michael I who lost his life in Aubonne city of Switzerland was held. Representatives of Royal houses attended the funeral of King Michael held in Bucharest city of Romania. King Juan Carlos of Spain and Queen Sofia of Spain, King Carl Gustaf Sweden and Queen Silvia of Sweden, Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz of Belgium, Britain's Prince Charles, Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg and Queen Anne-Marie of Greece was present at the funeral.

TLLK

amabel

Quote from: TLLK on December 19, 2017, 12:17:59 AM
Royal Musings: Nicholas Medforth Mills has married in secret

This is interesting and this blogger is personally acquainted with the Romanian Royal Family.
There has been a lot of palaver about his being excluded from the "succession" because of his having a  patnerity suit against him, I believe. And he didn't get to see his grandfather before he died...because of King M's disapproval of this...

Curryong

Apparently Nicholas married very quickly too, (to somebody else) and didn't tell anyone. Nicholas is very popular in Romania. I wouldn't be surprised if there has been some plotting by the old King's son in law who's married to the new Queen.

amabel

They really should give up this nonsense about "the succession" and who's in the RF etc.  Its not a royal family anymore, I don't believe there will be a restoration.. and they just make themselves look ridiciulous...
I read a few weeks ago on another forum that there had been this problem with Nicholas having had a paternity case from a woman.. and the King being so annoyed iwht this that he demoted Nicholas out out of the RF.  Now Nicholas is secretly marrying some other woman... its all getting a bit too silly...
While I respect King Michael, i think that if he did get Nicholas out becuase of a pregnancy, it was a bit OTT .. Mabye there were other issues, but for them to be disputng and quarrelling and "who's in and out of the RF" going on, just looks foolish

Kritter

After so many generations & marriages outside is a bloodline really the same anyway? If there is no throne is there really a Monarchy or just a name?    :king:

amabel

They are clearly hoping for a restoration, and they are quite popular in Romania, but I don't think that this means there will be a restoration.  Esp if they are engaged in fighting and disputes...
The dynasty does not have deep roots there...

TLLK

I agree @amabel that it would be surprising to see a restoration in Romania. Their current situation of a semi-public status keeps them above the political fray. I guess the big question is who will succeed Margarita in the future as the Custodian of the Crown?

TLLK

Her Majesty Margareta, Custodian of the Crown in Romania, makes first Christmas speech ? Royal Central  :xmas4:

WEBPHOTO.RO (CC BY 3.0) VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

Her Majesty Princess Margareta, Custodian of the Crown, has delivered her first Christmas speech since she became Romania?s Head of the Royal Household earlier this month.

Although she isn?t styled as Queen, Margareta is still afforded the title of Her Majesty and delivers a speech at Christmas.

Unlike other monarchs, she has not recorded her speech for television, but instead delivers the message in writing.

amabel

I wish they'd just drop it.  Afer al that unedifying stuff about Nicholas, I think it really is not a good idea to try and keep up any sort of monarchical role.

TLLK

The Romanian government considering referendum to re-establish monarchy ? Royal Central

I was thinking that it would end as well @amabel, but it appears that the government is going to considering allowing a referendum on reestablishing the monarchy.

amabel

Quote from: TLLK on December 28, 2017, 03:00:06 PM
The Romanian government considering referendum to re-establish monarchy ? Royal Central

I was thinking that it would end as well @amabel, but it appears that the government is going to considering allowing a referendum on reestablishing the monarchy.
honestly, the carry on among the RF, in the last year or 2, has been very off putting, I suppose wel'll see if the population are keen on a restoration.

Curryong

Interesting, and at the least a part victory. I can't help feeling that if Queen Margarita had a couple of adult sons devoting themselves to Romania and good works among the people that the government might be very, very amenable to bringing in a constitutional monarchy in another few years.

She doesn't however, and there's the rub. The biggest challenge this Royal House faces is the lack of suitable heirs (male or female) after Margarita, who is no spring chicken herself. It will be interesting to see who emerges as heir to this throne in the future.

royalanthropologist

Restore the monarchy I say but put constitutional limits. Republicans can be so dreary. They have this habit of sucking the life out of a room with their "worthy" discussions about merit, only to elect megalomaniac with money against the will of the vast majority of citizens.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

TLLK

QuoteShe doesn't however, and there's the rub. The biggest challenge this Royal House faces is the lack of suitable heirs (male or female) after Margarita, who is no spring chicken herself. It will be interesting to see who emerges as heir to this throne in the future.

Yes this is quite a problem for the Romanian royal house. IMHO they're in a unique situation as they appear to be  more trusted by the public than their elected officials, but its a system that is built on a hereditary succession.

amabel

Curryong

Margarita the eldest and Guardian of the Crown now her father is dead is married and has no children. House rules as they now stand forbid female heirs from ascending the throne.

Princess Elena has been married twice. She has a son and a daughter. Her son is Nicholas Medforth-Mills, formerly Prince Nicholas the heir to the throne, who was specifically stripped of his titles by his grandfather before he died, following a serious family rift. He has a sister Karin.

Princess Irina was stripped of her titles, styles and rights to the throne following her and her husband's conviction over illegal cockfights at their property in rural Oregon in 2013. She has two children, a son Michael and a daughter Angelica. Both are married and have children. However, their rights to the throne are affected because of Irina, both are US born and bred and have shown little interest in Romania, or residing there.

Princess Sophie had a brief marriage and one daughter Elisabeta-Maria.

Princess Maria was married to a Polish nobleman and is now divorced. There are no children.

TLLK

HM the Custodian of the Crown and Prince Radu paid a visit to the Bucharest City Council to thank those responsible for organizing and assisting with the late King Mihai's funeral.

Vizit? regal? la Prim?ria General? a Capitalei | Familia Regal? a Rom?niei / Royal Family of Romania (Video in Romanian.)

TLLK

Romanian royals attended concert and book launch commemorating King Michael I ? Royal Central

QuoteWednesday of this week Her Majesty Margareta, custodian of the crown of Romania and her husband Prince Radu attended a ceremony where a new book about King Michael was presented. A large audience took part in the event. Following the book-launch, a short concert was held in memory of the king.

Curryong

I see things continue as they have been in Romania, after the King's death, with the exception of Her Majesty Queen Margareta's position. It's an odd compromise. A styling without an official crown, really. Do wonder about the future as well.