Kate: Early Years and other patronages related to families & children

Started by cinrit, February 18, 2015, 12:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

In All I Do

Macrobug

I guess they are announcing close to the date to avoid having to publically announce cancellations if she has the baby early or has complications
GNU Terry Pratchett

Canuck

@TLLK and @Macrobug, thanks for sharing your experiences!  It's obviously important to identify at an early age kids who are on the autism spectrum or have learning disorders, but I find it particularly interesting and valuable that programs like this also provide assistance for those with "normal" kids (those without learning disorders or other diagnosis) that simply have parents who are struggling for some reason and can use the assistance.  It is generally easier (though often still difficult!) to identify children with a particular issue that requires additional care or support; it is harder to identify and assist children who don't have any symptoms of those issues but whose families are struggling to cope for other, unrelated reasons (addiction, mental health issues among the parents, just too overwhelmed, etc.).  And the stigma for parents in admitting they just can't handle it all alone is so immense.  It's great to see efforts focused on encouraging parents to reach out for assistance.

Macrobug

So true.  The single parent, the family who has lost an income, health issues.....so many things that can disrupt a family and create a home life that isn't the best for a preschool child's development.  And so difficult for people to admit they need help and reach out.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Curryong

Wonder if Kate will work until the last week of March? Compared to her usual numbers, this month has been a hard slog for her! I still feel the birth will be later in April than early but could be completely wrong.

Canuck

I think it's fairly certain she's due late in April (between the 12 week scan and Royal correspondents being told when she was 16 weeks along, it all lines up for that).  Katie Nicholl claims more engagements will be announced soon, but with her you never know whether you can trust her reports.  They do seem to be announcing things closer to the date right now, presumably so that they feel relatively confident Kate will be able to make it before announcing an event to the world, so it wouldn't surprise me if a few more happen before the end of March with about a week notice beforehand.

Curryong

I think that Kate was given many more engagements in the last few weeks as a result of (A) lots of grumbles that she and William had become invisible and were likely, in Kate's case to remain so for much of the year..Thus the PR people decided something had to be done.

(B) Her new burst of activity coincided, not preceded, the truly dreadful headlines involving Prince Andrew.

It was the first time that a member of the BRF was involved in what appeared to be a looming sex scandal. What to do? They could hardly send 'himself' out there. Andrew's about as popular with the public as a dose of bad milk. On the off-chance that a pregnant Kate could take publicity off the Press's main quarry, they sent her out on some engagements, killing two birds with one stone.

Liquorice

Quote from: Curryong on March 13, 2015, 09:01:04 AM
I think that Kate was given many more engagements in the last few weeks as a result of (A) lots of grumbles that she and William had become invisible and were likely, in Kate's case to remain so for much of the year..Thus the PR people decided something had to be done.

(B) Her new burst of activity coincided, not preceded, the truly dreadful headlines involving Prince Andrew.

It was the first time that a member of the BRF was involved in what appeared to be a looming sex scandal. What to do? They could hardly send 'himself' out there. Andrew's about as popular with the public as a dose of bad milk. On the off-chance that a pregnant Kate could take publicity off the Press's main quarry, they sent her out on some engagements, killing two birds with one stone.

She has had lots of engagements like she had had a lot when she was expecting George. I don't think the BRF would ask Kate to save Andrew's scandal. They would rather ask the Queen's other children and their spouses.

wannable

There's a difference, their new KP communications secretary Jason like Jamie knows how to deal with financial scrutiny disbursement expenses of duchy Charles and his trustees. The inbetweeners failed from these two gents.

Charles asks every penny to be spent.

tiaras

I agree with @Curryong also I think Kate will be staying out of the press from April, whenever she gives birth till June-July after giving birth. It's best to have a burst of engagements while she can and then proceed to disappear for a while to be with George and Baby Cambridge #2 (lol that's better than calling the child a spare).

Canuck

I think she's just doing a bunch of engagements now because she'll soon be out of commission -- this is very similar to her activity before George was born.

Curryong

Quote from: Liquorice on March 13, 2015, 09:52:33 AM
Quote from: Curryong on March 13, 2015, 09:01:04 AM

She has had lots of engagements like she had had a lot when she was expecting George. I don't think the BRF would ask Kate to save Andrew's scandal. They would rather ask the Queen's other children and their spouses.

Who? Anne, Sophie? While I have nothing at all against these two ladies, they don't garner much publicity. Richard Palmer has said on his Twitter site several times that Kate is the only one (besides the Queen, and that includes William and Harry), who is absolutely guaranteed publicity for her engagements in the pages of newspapers..

Canuck

It's true that Kate gets the BRF the most press and I'm sure they're happy every day the headline is about her looking great while pregnant rather than Andrew being accused of sex crimes, but I just don't think her schedule has been decided by that.  It's exactly what she did before baby #1, when there was no scandal to distract from and she was just doing a run of engagements before she went out on leave.

I took a look at Kate's schedule from 2013, and she did about 21 engagements from the beginning of March until mid-June, when she began her maternity leave.  Once she does the two that are scheduled for next week, she'll have done 21 engagements between the beginning of January and late March.  So unless she adds a few more, it's the exact same number of pre-baby engagements (this time around it was over a slightly shorter period of time, but because of the Christmas holidays it had to be).

TLLK

Quote from: Canuck on March 13, 2015, 12:33:17 PM
It's true that Kate gets the BRF the most press and I'm sure they're happy every day the headline is about her looking great while pregnant rather than Andrew being accused of sex crimes, but I just don't think her schedule has been decided by that.  It's exactly what she did before baby #1, when there was no scandal to distract from and she was just doing a run of engagements before she went out on leave.

I took a look at Kate's schedule from 2013, and she did about 21 engagements from the beginning of March until mid-June, when she began her maternity leave.  Once she does the two that are scheduled for next week, she'll have done 21 engagements between the beginning of January and late March.  So unless she adds a few more, it's the exact same number of pre-baby engagements (this time around it was over a slightly shorter period of time, but because of the Christmas holidays it had to be).
I agree. She's also fit in engagements that had to be rescheduled from the fall due to her HG issues so I'm not surprised that she's been busier lately.

Canuck

Quote from: TLLK on March 13, 2015, 02:25:42 PM
I agree. She's also fit in engagements that had to be rescheduled from the fall due to her HG issues so I'm not surprised that she's been busier lately.

That's a good point as well.  We know the 1851 Trust engagements were rescheduled from the Fall, and it wouldn't surprise me if a few others were too.

TLLK

Quote from: Macrobug on March 13, 2015, 03:47:43 AM
So true.  The single parent, the family who has lost an income, health issues.....so many things that can disrupt a family and create a home life that isn't the best for a preschool child's development.  And so difficult for people to admit they need help and reach out.
I agree. What could have been an ideal situation can change in an instant. Those featured in the website stories covered those same scenarios @Macrobug.

BTW I am so sorry that your friend had a miserable time in school. Learning disabilities were not well understood or treated during those years.

Double post auto-merged: March 13, 2015, 03:45:35 PM

Quote from: Curryong on March 13, 2015, 04:32:24 AM
Wonder if Kate will work until the last week of March? Compared to her usual numbers, this month has been a hard slog for her! I still feel the birth will be later in April than early but could be completely wrong.
I have to wonder at this time if they're just waiting to announce these engagements  one week or so in advance. Once she's in that last four-six weeks  anything could happen. :)

wannable

QuoteSpot the Duchess in a £35 frock: Pregnant Kate dazzles in a polka-dot ASOS dress as she meets children and volunteers in London
The Duchess of Cambridge was visiting the Brookhill Children's Centre in London's Woolwich
Met families being helped by Home-Start, a charity that supports troubled or vulnerable parents
Visit is part of her ongoing work to boost the chances of underprivileged children and young people
The engagement is one of the last before the Duchess gives birth to her second child next month 
Looked wonderful in a cheap chic £35 maternity dress by online fashion favourite ASOS

Read more: Spot the Duchess in a £35 frock: Pregnant Kate dazzles in a polka-dot ASOS dress as she meets children and volunteers in London | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

TLLK

I'm impressed that Home Start is able to help 29,000 struggling families a year across the UK.

cinrit

QuotePregnant Kate Dazzles in a Polka-Dor Dot ASOS Dress As She Meets Children and Volunteers in London (VIDEO)

Just when will the new royal baby be born? Today, the Duchess of Cambridge revealed that her due date is just over a month away as she visited a charity for children and their families today.

Touring the Brookhill Children's Centre in Woolwich, Kate, who was wearing a £35 maternity dress by ASOS, was asked about the impending royal birth by volunteer, Christine Osborne, 49.

'I’m due mid-April, to the end of April,' confessed the 33-year-old royal mother-to-be, adding: 'Not long to go now.' 'I couldn’t resist asking,’ Christine, a grandmother who has worked for the charity for seven years, said afterwards. ‘It’s very exciting – and was wonderful to have her here.’

Its 15,000 volunteers visit clients in their homes, helping parents struggling to cope with issues such as isolation, mental ill health, bereavement, multiple births, illness or disability - many of which have a direct effect on their children.

The Duchess declined a biscuit but listened intently as Rob Parkinson, CEO of Home-Start UK, outlined the work they did. Then it was on to meet some of the families who have received often life-changing help from the charity including Charlene Roper, 25 and her partner Graham Wilders Jnr, 32, who were with their impeccably behaved three-month-old daughter Francesca, the youngest of their three children.

Kate also commiserated with some of the mothers at the coffee morning about sleeping patterns and feeding routines. ‘It can be hard, can’t it,’ she said sympathetically. ‘So often it’s about giving you the confidence to interact with your baby.’

More: Spot the Duchess in a £35 frock: Pregnant Kate dazzles in a polka-dot ASOS dress as she meets children and volunteers in London | Daily Mail Online

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Canuck

From the DM story:

QuoteShe also spoke with a group of mothers, who did not wish to be identified, who had suffered with post natal depression. 'The Duchess made clear in advance of the visit that she was keen to speak to them as post-natal depression can have such a knock-on effect on every aspect of family life,' explained head of communications Annie O'Brian.

I'm glad to see Kate taking an active interest in the issue of post-natal depression.  It's still a very stigmatized and under-diagnosed issue, and she's absolutely right that it can affect everything else in the family.

Macrobug

:thumbsup:

I would be very happy to see her behind a campaign or charity that deals with post partum depression.  Many women suffer from the baby blues which can be hard on a family.  And the need to id post partum depression and psychosis is incredibly important
GNU Terry Pratchett

TLLK

Quote from: Macrobug on March 18, 2015, 03:21:32 PM
:thumbsup:

I would be very happy to see her behind a campaign or charity that deals with post partum depression.  Many women suffer from the baby blues which can be hard on a family.  And the need to id post partum depression and psychosis is incredibly important
I wholeheartedly agree. William's mother suffered from this after his birth so IMO this is an excellent opportunity to expand her charity work.

cinrit

QuoteThe Duchess of Cambridge Visits Brookhill Children's Centre to Find Out the Work of Home-Start

The Duchess of Cambridge visited Brookhill Children's Centre in Woolwich to learn more about Home-Start and its support for children and families.

The Duchess attended a briefing with Home-Start's Chief Executive and the Centre's manager, hearing about the work the charity does to support families to cope, improve confidence and build better lives for their children.

Her Royal Highness then attended a coffee morning where she met families who have been supported by Home-Start and listened to their experiences. The Duchess viewed volunteer training session in which volunteers are taught how best to offer practical and emotional support in a family's home to help children make the most of nursery or school. Finally The Duchess visited the onsite Together for Twos' crèche to meet families and staff.

More: The Duchess of Cambridge visits Brookhill Children's Centre to find out about the work of Home-Start

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

TLLK

Duchess of Cambridge's engagement on Oct. 2, 2018 Kensington Palace on Twitter: "The Duchess of Cambridge will visit the @SCTrust Forest School and Wildlife Garden at Paddington Recreation Ground on

Quotehe Duchess of Cambridge will visit the @SCTrust Forest School and Wildlife Garden at Paddington Recreation Ground on Tuesday 2nd October.