The Norwegian Royal Family General News and Discussion

Started by TLLK, April 25, 2018, 08:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

A thread to discuss the Norwegian Royal Family news not related to their official duties.

Crown Prince Haakon to take on regency as King Harald is on medical leave ? Royal Central

QuoteHis Majesty King Harald of Norway is on medical leave from today due to pain in the foot. During this time, Crown Prince Haakon will act as regent. This was announced by the royal court at Oslo Palace Wednesday afternoon. It is uncertain how long the King will be unable to work.

Those who have seen King Harald can confirm that the King has always walked a bit strange. This is due to a long-standing problem that the King has in one foot, which has now become so bad that the King can not work.

Section 41 of the Norwegian Constitution says: ?Is the king outside the realm, or is he so ill that he can not take care of the government, the closest heir to the throne will manage the government and perform all of the royal powers?

Which might impact CP couple's visit to Lithuania.

Norwegian Crown Prince Couple visits Lithuania ? Royal Central

Curryong

Poor King Harald. He has certainly had some health problems in the last few years! The Lithuanian visit may have to be foreshortened for the Crown Princess couple I suppose.

TLLK

Yes I do recall some health issues in the past decade or so that required his heir to act as regent for him.

Nightowl

Oh dear, I really hope everything is alright with King Harald as he has always been one of my very favorite royals. He seems so very sincere and kind to everyone he meets, best wishes for a very speedy recovery.

amabel

Don't know wehre to post this but it appears that sadly, Ari Behn the former husband of Princess Martha Louise, has taken his own life...

Curryong

That is indeed sad, especially for his and MLs' children. I'm sure Princess Martha Louise will be upset as well.

TLLK

How tragic and awful! Those poor girls who have now lost their father today.

PrincessOfPeace

A thread to discuss the Norwegian Royal Family news not related to their royal duties.

83-year-old King Harald V was admitted to hospital early on Friday, the palace said without disclosing details of his condition.

The king, who has been on the throne for 29 years, is now on sick leave and Crown Prince Haakon will take over his duties temporarily, the palace said in a brief statement.

More: Norway's King Harald taken to hospital with breathing difficulties - The Local

Double post auto-merged: September 25, 2020, 11:24:39 AM

Prime Minister Erna Solberg just said to TV2:

*I am glad to hear that it sounds like the King is only being checked up as a precaution. I am sure we will see an active King Harald perform his duties this autumn*

Curryong

That is very worrying. I really hope he will be better soon. The NRF are a very small family of working royals anyway so that is an extra worry. Maybe M-L can divest herself of her shaman, get those guardian spirits off her shoulders and help her family for once by performing a few engagements.

Amabel2

I hope he is ok but he's not a young man and it seems like Haakon has to take over.  I dont think that people would be likely to want Martha Louise and the shaman.. so its really down to Haakon...

TLLK

This isn't the first time that Haakon has been named regent while his father has been hospitalized, so the system is in place. Glad to read that it is not COVID 19 but I hope that the king makes a full recovery soon.

Amabel2

Quote from: TLLK on September 25, 2020, 03:22:38 PM
This isn't the first time that Haakon has been named regent while his father has been hospitalized, so the system is in place. Glad to read that it is not COVID 19 but I hope that the king makes a full recovery soon.
No but he is elderly and has been ill and its worrying.  And Haakon has no real support now, if he is permanent Regent for example Mette Marit isn't very well and isn't up to being a full time consortt

Curryong

Queen Sonja is still in good health and able to carry out engagements. The King's very elderly older sister Princess Astrid has several patronages too. However, apart from these three very elderly people there certainly isn't anybody available but Haakon and Mette Marit when she feels well enough.

It's a good job that young Ingrid-Alexandra appears to be a very sensible and dutiful young girl as it appears that she might well begin to start carrying out formal Royal engagements when she is at university.

IMO it's a great shame that M-L is quite so flakey. Nobody minds a bit of eccentricity, but she could have been a massive help to her parents and brother at this time.

Amabel2

Quote from: Curryong on September 26, 2020, 02:32:59 PM
s it appears that she might well begin to start carrying out formal Royal engagements when she is at university.

IMO it's a great shame that M-L is quite so flakey. Nobody minds a bit of eccentricity, but she could have been a massive help to her parents and brother at this time.
True but I think she's a hopeless case.  She's been barred form using her title in her business dealings, hasn't she and this Shaman is a big embarrasent

Blue Clover

I hope King Harold recovers soon. I hope the other royal family members are ready to step up!

Amabel2

Who?  There aren't any others.  Harald has only one sister who is an old lady.  he and his wife are elderly. Mette Marrit is ill

Curryong

I'm glad to hear it. Hope he's going to rest for a while now.

PrincessOfPeace

His Majesty King Harald is today admitted to Rikshospitalet to undergo an operation to change a heart valve.

The operation is scheduled to take place on Friday 9 October.

Curryong

Hope everything is successful with the operation, and he has many more years left!