The Education and preparation of the Wales Children

Started by TLLK, March 24, 2017, 11:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Princess Cassandra

Hope there is something nice planned for the whole family. They certainly deserve it.

TLLK

Curryong

Quote from: TLLK on March 21, 2023, 05:16:06 AM
That's very unlikely to happen.

There are always calls for this sort of thing. I remember it being proposed for William and Harry when they were about to go to Ludgrove. And how many senior Labour MPs send THEIR children to State schools if they can afford not to? There are a few who do so out of principle, but the vast majority seem to choose private independent schools nearby. Hypocritical no doubt but it certainly happens more often than not.

Of course foreign royals send their offspring to State schools usually, while they?re young, and then finish off with an international location later on. However the sort of State schools chosen are the cream of the crop.

Princess Cassandra

I would think that the private schools in the UK have more experience with students who need more security - a plus for a royal child.

TLLK

Yes by and large the private schools have a real advantage when it comes to security.
@Curryong is correct in pointing out the the European royals (ie Dutch, Danish) who chose to send their children to a state (public) school have selected the ones in the most prestigious neighborhoods that were comfortable with having armed guards at the site.

TLLK

It's term break for Lambrook school as Lent term ended on March 24, 2023. Summer term begins April 19, 2023.

Curryong

I dont necessarily believe that the Wales?s do want Royal Lodge. It?s bad optics for a start, for all sorts of reasons. Though I do believe that they would like a home within driving distance of the boarding schools their older children will, of necessity, be attending as Charles and Camilla get even older and the Wales?s diaries fill up to twice what they are now. Maybe in five or six years?

That is far more likely to be somewhere like Marlborough than not. Whether they can get a home reasonably near there or not remains to be seen. However, if they do, or even if Andrew falls under a bus and they do get Royal Lodge in five years or so, why wouldn?t William be responsible for his own and his family?s security expenses? He gets millions of Duchy money. Why would that suddenly stop? And why would the Home Office suddenly balk at paying the household security expenses of the heir to the throne?s family in this very much shrunken RF anyway? Doesn?t sound very likely to me!

wannable

Adelaide cottage to Lambrook School, 12-15 minutes

I do agree when the children are older they will very likely go to a dorm school (age 14) and will be picked up during weekends, bank holidays, national holidays, term dates...if not, then whichever school the parent's choose, the teenagers will be travelling to/from with a driver and security. But I think the plan is to parent their children as long as possible before sending them to dorm.

Eton is 7 minutes from Adelaide Cottage.

Curryong

?If possible,? means until the kids are in the mid teens before boarding, would require King Charles and even more, Camilla, to remain active and in good health until their eighties, with no extra heavy lifting required by the Pr and Prss of Wales. That?s certainly not guaranteed, especially where Camilla is concerned.

Yes I know Eton and Lambrook are close at the moment. However, although William enjoyed Eton, I?ve got a feeling that Kate wants George and Charlotte educated together and that means co-Ed with boarding facilities, which to my mind would probably mean Marlborough is quite likely. Louis could then join them there a bit later.

wannable

12 or 14, years 789. Although stats in the 🇬🇧 indicate higher percentage age 14 the last 2 junior years
as dorm years.

Second highest percentage age 16 year 10 senior years

Third 12 years old years 7 and 8

Source UK gov search school system

In the 80s different I will read on tomorrow that time period. PDF file

Curryong

Well, I don?t need stats to know that sky annual high prices for boarders is the main reason that British parents no longer send their little darlings away to board at the age of eight or so. When we were travelling regularly between Britain and Aus for business purposes in the 1990s my first husband and I discussed boarding school for our youngest (a boy) but decided against it.

However, those sort of considerations don?t come into play for royal children to any great extent. To have the children of the heir to the throne attending your school would be regarded by the Board of Governors and Headmaster as a matter of prestige, bringing hundreds of applications from other parents over the duration.

In a very shrunken RF with most members well over 60, considerations like health etc do change the landscape. The Kents and Alexandra are more or less out of the picture now. The Gloucesters are in their late 70s. Who?s to know whether they both want to continue working until their mid 80s? Camilla looks tottery sometimes and there was discussion on SM as to whether she was in pain during the Coronation ceremony. I don?t know about you but I can?t see Camilla doing 400 to 500 engagements per year over the next ten years (by which time George will be in Uni not in fulltime royal duties mode.) Even Anne will be 73 this August. And Edward?s recent thinness was also discussed.

Any breakdown in health by any of these senior royals over the next ten years will leave the remainder with even more duties and fuller calendars. That is likely to cause a rethink among even the most devoted of royal parents, even if it?s a case of leaving the children in the care of staff overnight, or for ten days  when on tour. Given that scenario even a boarding school at 11 or 12 may seem a better option.

wannable

I have my doubts only because the combo of the childhood/teenage experience of the parents (W&K). They both want to be more presentwith their children. I don't see any reason why their children have to go to boarding school. That's what rich parent's usually do, despite having the means of transportation, driver and security. Although distance and choice of school will factor in. Daytime or boarding doesn't affect the 8 hours a day to be a working royal.

80s had the highest percentage in 12 year old's, so definitely socioeconomic factors in.

TLLK

The Wales were spotted at Eton College yesterday with Prince George.
Prince George visits Eton with parents Prince William and Kate Middleton | HELLO!

QuoteThe family were standing near an archway, by a sign that reads: 'Porters' Lodge' and previous reports about the school explain that through the doors you'll find the school yard where a statue of the college's founder, King Henry VI, is displayed.

QuoteThe boys' school is from age 13, and George is only set to turn 10 next month on the 22 July, but there is every chance his parents are getting him used to the location because the protocol is that enrolment for the exclusive school begins when pupils are in year 5 of school.

HistoryGirl2

^Makes sense. I think William enjoyed his time there, so he would want the same for George.

TLLK

Yes based on his own remarks, it seems that William truly enjoyed his time at Eton College. Also his teachers and head of house, Dr. Andrew Gailey provided a safe and secure environment for him when his parents were in the midst of their marital issues. If Eton appears to be a good fit for George, I wouldn't be surprised to see him attend.

HistoryGirl2

^Yes, the only way I can see him not going there is if George is highly averse to attending for whatever reason. If it?s not a good fit for him, his parents will find somewhere else. 

TLLK

wannable

wannable

Reading the Admission for Eton, parents/boy HAVE to visit the school age 9.  Prince George will study at Eton.

I wouldn't be surprised if Princess Charlotte goes to Wycombe Abbey School, 30 minutes from Windsor and their admission is similar for this all girls school.  Trivia: school ranking #1. Their A levels has an average of 85.5%, that is a very healthy and excellent academic result.

The ranking of UK schools from 1 to 10 is so tight between 85.5 which is the above all girl school (gorgeous buildings and grounds) to Eton #8 A levels at 81%.

sara8150

Prince George 'spotted at Eton College' with William and Kate | Daily Mail Online
When his father the Prince of Wales and his uncle the Duke of Sussex and Spencer went there include his great grandfather the 8th Earl Spencer and his great uncle the 9th Earl Spencer went there but up to William and Catherine?s decision if George would interest Eton follow his father?s and his uncle?s,his great grandfather?s and his great uncle?s footsteps kept legacy

Prince George visits Eton with parents Prince William and Kate Middleton | HELLO!

Prince George eyeing up new school as fans spot him on tour with parents Kate and William | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Prince George visits Eton with William and Kate sparking rumours he'll go to dad's school - Mirror Online

Curryong

Quote from: sara8150 on June 22, 2023, 08:04:34 PM
Prince George Visits Eton College with Kate Middleton, Prince William

Well, if a decision is made for George to attend Eton, Charlotte won?t be joining him there. Not unless Eton changes its centuries old tradition! Still think it?s likelier to be a co-Ed establishment for all of them than not (which imo is preferable anyway) however we shall see!

sara8150

Quote from: Curryong on June 22, 2023, 08:28:27 PM
Well, if a decision is made for George to attend Eton, Charlotte won?t be joining him there. Not unless Eton changes its centuries old tradition! Still think it?s likelier to be a co-Ed establishment for all of them than not (which imo is preferable anyway) however we shall see!

NO!! But this Eton College is only for boy I don?t think will have co-ed but this Eton College is strict boy only school have required ages 13-18 years old to enter

Princess Charlotte will going different school same Catherine?s we have wait and see