Kensington Palace, servants and all related articles

Started by wannable, June 04, 2011, 11:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandy

Diana said she was called  chubby  back in 1981 by Charles--she didn' report this when it happened, the press was unaware of it--until she told Morton that it happened. DIana's bulimia (as she told Morton) was caused by the stress of her marriage and the situation involving her husband and the other woman. SHe clearly told Bashir tha she had "rampant bulimia" when she found out her husband had returned to Camila. She by all accouns felt fulfilled in her charity work and enjoyed her royal appearances. I recall no such criticism of Diana being "lazy" or "clumsy" at royal duties. She was a person who had a work ethic

I don't think dealing with pressure should include avoidance mode  or hiding out. It is too soon to put Diana and Kate on a par. I think people CAN learn from constructive crititicm and perhaps Kate should not be afraid to look a less than complimentary articles (not ones that go overboard, but ones that make constructive suggestions)

cinrit

Quote from: sandy on August 10, 2011, 12:56:58 AM
Diana said she was called  chubby  back in 1981 by Charles--she didn' report this when it happened, the press was unaware of it--until she told Morton that it happened. DIana's bulimia (as she told Morton) was caused by the stress of her marriage and the situation involving her husband and the other woman. SHe clearly told Bashir tha she had "rampant bulimia" when she found out her husband had returned to Camila.

Actually, I distinctly remember reading that Diana said her bulimia started before the wedding, when Charles pinched her waist and made a comment about her getting chubby or gaining weight or some such.  By the time of the wedding, her dress had been altered more than once to accommodate for her weight loss, and she looked much thinner at the time of the wedding than she did at the engagement announcement.

QuoteI don't think dealing with pressure should include avoidance mode  or hiding out. It is too soon to put Diana and Kate on a par. I think people CAN learn from constructive crititicm and perhaps Kate should not be afraid to look a less than complimentary articles (not ones that go overboard, but ones that make constructive suggestions)   

I agree 100% that Kate should not be compared to Diana.  She is her own person, and shouldn't be compared to anyone.  She is doing what Buckingham Palace and Clarence House think is best for her to do.  What anyone else thinks she should be doing instead doesn't count. 

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

sandy

That's what I isaid CIndy. Back in 1981 which is the time they got engaged.

I don't think Kate is being dictated to. If she wanted to take on a charity while "waiting" for William to come home, I doubt the Queen who believes in giving back and work ethic would say no if Kate wanted to do this. I think William wants to be "normal" and Kate perhaps doesn't mind not doing anything outside of being home "waiting" for him to come home. I think she's missing out though. Maybe she'll eventually get bored and be seen doing some charity work taking an active role.

Grandma828

Lets see, Kate has already done an official tour within the first 3 months.  Diana didn't go on a tour for a long time.  I think you are remembering Diana after she was established, not in the first couple of years.  If you are going to compare please be sure you are looking at the correct time frame.  William is committed to the military for a couple of more years.  After that he will be a full time royal.  In the meantime they will do what they can on his days off.  I'll bet that dutues will slowly increase the closer he get to being done with his military commitment.

Lindelle

Is it true that Kate is complaining her new abode at KP doesn't have enough privacy?

iisuzieii

Dailymail said they BOTH don't feel like they have privacy there.

cinrit

Quote from: sandy on August 10, 2011, 02:03:31 AM

You said that Diana stated her bulimia started from the stress of her marriage.  I pointed out that she also said that it started before the wedding; therefore, before the marriage.  Both occasions were in 1981, but the reasons were different. 

QuoteI don't think Kate is being dictated to. If she wanted to take on a charity while "waiting" for William to come home, I doubt the Queen who believes in giving back and work ethic would say no if Kate wanted to do this.

Then you believe that Kate does what she wants to do, without any direction from the Queen? 

Quote from: Lindelle on Today at 06:01:12 AMIs it true that Kate is complaining her new abode at KP doesn't have enough privacy?

I read that they both recognize that it's private in that there can be no intrusion from the press or the public in general, but that they feel the other apartments are so close together, that it doesn't afford privacy from them.  They're probably accustomed to living with a good bit of land around them, and being able to walk about on their land without being seen.  Not used to apartment living, that's for sure.  That's understandable.

Cindy

Trudie

From what I have read their cottage at KP is surrounded by the servants grace and favor homes. William knows that servants will gossip and give reporters little tidbits for extra money. I think Paul Burrell is permanently burned into his brain. But the truth is all the royals knows that the people who work for them will talk unnamed if the price is right. William grew up with nothing but other members of the family around so privacy was less an issue with their neighbors being Princess Margaret and Prince and Princess Michael of Kent The grace and favor homes were in the back further away.

Lindelle

Quote from: iisuzieii on August 10, 2011, 11:12:00 AM
Dailymail said they BOTH don't feel like they have privacy there.

For what reason?
Are you able to post a link? :thanks:

cinrit

^^ I'll try to find the article I read.  I can't remember where I saw it.  It may even have been a blurb on the entertainment news on television. 

Edit:  I think this is the article I read:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2023598/Kate-Middleton-Prince-William-object-neighbours-overlooking-Kensington-Palace-home.html

Cindy

LucyOfTheSky

Until I did a little research a few minutes ago, I didn't realize that Princess Diana moved into the palace after her engagement to Charles to protect her from the press; that Charles left for a 5 week overseas tour during this time; that William was born a mere 11 months after the wedding; and that Charles & Diana's first overseas tour was after William had been born (and Diana had already defied the firm by insisting he go with them.)  Truly, she was an amazing woman to have had the strength to stand up for herself after being taken into the palace at 19 and isolated.

Although it isn't fair to either Diana or Kate to make comparisons, I think that by understanding a little of what Diana went through, one can understand a bit of what Kate has gone through/is experiencing as well. 

I heard on tv that the staff would set "traps" for Diana, and then sell the stories to the press.  Despictable doesn't begin to desribe how wrong that is.  This reminds me of the story in the Daily Mail about Wills and Kate feeling there was a lack of privacy in Nottingham Cottage.  I can't imagine either Wills or Kate called the media with that tidbit.  Which means one of them may have made a comment to the other which was overheard and sold to the Daily Mail.  (Either that or it was made up.) 

I think that Wills and Kate will spend as little time as possible in London and stay in Wales where at least they can be themselves at home and not have to worry about being overheard and watched by people pretending to be loyal.

sandy

Quote from: cinrit on August 10, 2011, 12:42:24 PM
Quote from: sandy on August 10, 2011, 02:03:31 AM

You said that Diana stated her bulimia started from the stress of her marriage.  I pointed out that she also said that it started before the wedding; therefore, before the marriage.  Both occasions were in 1981, but the reasons were different. 

QuoteI don't think Kate is being dictated to. If she wanted to take on a charity while "waiting" for William to come home, I doubt the Queen who believes in giving back and work ethic would say no if Kate wanted to do this.

Then you believe that Kate does what she wants to do, without any direction from the Queen? 

Quote from: Lindelle on Today at 06:01:12 AMIs it true that Kate is complaining her new abode at KP doesn't have enough privacy?

I read that they both recognize that it's private in that there can be no intrusion from the press or the public in general, but that they feel the other apartments are so close together, that it doesn't afford privacy from them.  They're probably accustomed to living with a good bit of land around them, and being able to walk about on their land without being seen.  Not used to apartment living, that's for sure.  That's understandable.

Cindy

I've gone over it often enough Cindy that I know what happened n 1981. No need to explain. I said Charles called her chubby ikn m1981 and she reacted accordingly. On other threads I said that she had "rampant" bulimia due o the stress of the marriage. I read enough to know the facts and the time sequence.

cinrit

Quote from: sandy on August 10, 2011, 06:41:59 PM
I've gone over it often enough Cindy that I know what happened n 1981. No need to explain. I said Charles called her chubby ikn m1981 and she reacted accordingly. On other threads I said that she had "rampant" bulimia due o the stress of the marriage. I read enough to know the facts and the time sequence.

In Post No. 350 in this thread, this is what you said and this is what I was responding to:

Quote from: sandyDiana said she was called  chubby  back in 1981 by Charles--she didn' report this when it happened, the press was unaware of it--until she told Morton that it happened. DIana's bulimia (as she told Morton) was caused by the stress of her marriage and the situation involving her husband and the other woman.

Cindy

sandy

I said it happened in 1981 he said she was chubby PLUS in 1981 she had anxiety over Camilla. Both brought on the bulimia--but Diana gave more emphasis to her anxieties over Camilla (to Morton) than to Charles saying she was chubby.DIana had degrees of the illness--at times she was more sick with it than other times (as her pictures show). I'm dropping this matter now--I'm tired of the hair splitting and being "corrected" over something I am very familiar with (you've read my other posts Cindy which go into this topic so I am done going back and forth with you).

Lindelle

Quote from: cinrit on August 10, 2011, 02:08:42 PM
^^ I'll try to find the article I read.  I can't remember where I saw it.  It may even have been a blurb on the entertainment news on television. 

Edit:  I think this is the article I read:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2023598/Kate-Middleton-Prince-William-object-neighbours-overlooking-Kensington-Palace-home.html

Cindy

Should this NOT have been looked at before they moved in?

Bensgal

One would think they would have thought through this situation before making their decision. I know when buying or renting a home, how close neighbors are is a huge consideration.

cinrit

Quote from: Lindelle on August 10, 2011, 10:45:29 PM
Should this NOT have been looked at before they moved in?   

I would think so.  Maybe there was an incident where they saw someone nearby and realized that the neighbors were closer than they thought?  Or maybe the report isn't true at all.  Would would they have complained to about the apartment not being suitable, after all?  And who would have overheard them, then repeated it? 

Cindy

MapleLeaf

:nod: Exactly Cindy.

It's impossible to believe that Wills would voluntarily tell the media anything about his private life, or to believe that Kate would all of a sudden say anything to a journalist regarding how she and her new husband feel about their new, temporary dwelling located within the Kensington Palace compound.

Therefor the statement is either completely made up, or it was overheard and then reported to the news media behind Wills and Kate's backs.  :thumbsup:

It's now the silly season, so there's a good possibility it was made up.  But if not, and it was an overheard comment that was then reported to a journalist, :shrug: that action alone would make Wills and Kate's point about privacy both valid and true.

It could be that they're living in Nottingham Cottage because it's the only place available at this time for them to live in within the KP compound, that fits their requirements.  They might've wanted the most private place they could find, and a separate cottage, no matter how tiny, is probably more private than living within the actual Palace walls with all of it's many ears.

And it could be that whenver Wills and Kate open their curtains, their surrounding neighbours can see into their home.  If the claims made by the article are true, then maybe they weren't aware of the neighbours ability to see into their home when they first looked at the cottage. 

Again if the article is true, then it's possible that W & K could've seen that the cottage was separate from the main palace, done one quick walk-through and then decided that that would be fine for a couple of years while their main residence remains in Wales.  That could be a reason why they might not've been aware that their neighbours could see into their home until they actually moved in.
:happycanada:

Facts do not cease to exist just because they are ignored.
~Aldous Huxley
:xmas10:

sandy

Royals have lived at KP for many many years. This is the first I've heard about people "looking in the window." If this is the case, I think this problem would be corrected.

Lindelle

I thought they had possible choices  - few ones -  that they looked at.

cinrit

I think they first looked at a place at St. James Palace, didn't they?  And then an apartment within the main complex of Kensington Palace?

Cindy

Lindelle

Yes I'm sure they did cinrit.
Surely this wouldn't have escaped their eye about the privacy issue.
At first when they chose it, the talk was 'oh they've chosen it because it's private and all that jazz', now, it's not good enough?

MapleLeaf

I think it's possible that they didn't check the cottage more than once.  They looked at several different places, and the cottage is a stand-alone, separate place that offered more obvious privacy than what they would find within the actual Palace walls.

:shrug: Maybe the separate location was what they noticed more than anything else, and didn't bother to really look around it from all angles until they moved in.

They're human, that's certainly a possibility.  The other possibility is that the article isn't true, therefore Wills and Kate didn't say anything of the kind.
:happycanada:

Facts do not cease to exist just because they are ignored.
~Aldous Huxley
:xmas10:

Bensgal

Mapleleaf, I've wondered the same; if the story isn't true. As we all know, the media does love to stir the pot.