Diamond Jubilee lunch @ Downing St with last four PM's

Started by Jenee, July 26, 2012, 10:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenee

Diamond Jubilee: Queen meets with current and former Prime Ministers for lunch | Mail Online

QuoteEach one has poured his heart out to her in their weekly chats at the Palace.
But as four of her Prime Ministers greeted the Queen for lunch at Downing Street yesterday there was only one topic of conversation – their delight at helping her celebrate her Diamond Jubilee.
As she lined up with David Cameron, Sir John Major, Tony Blair and Gordon Brown, the Queen’s smile hinted at secrets kept and confidences held.

Guests ate salmon to start, then a main course of duck, and trifle for dessert

Must be nice to be Queen!

In the blue corner ... it's a fashion face off on Downing Street as Samantha Cameron makes a royal fashion faux pas by wearing the same cornflower

QuoteA spokesman from Clarence House confirmed today that there are no rules when it comes to choosing an outfit when meeting the Queen, and the Royal never makes the colour of her clothing known before an event.

Read more: In the blue corner ... it's a fashion face off on Downing Street as Samantha Cameron makes a royal fashion faux pas by wearing the same cornflower
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

RaspBerries

Lucy

Yes, RaspBerries, All during her reign, so she has known a lot of them rather well.  Her reign of over half a century has seen ten different Prime Ministers of the United Kingdom.

The weekly meetings are held whilst Parliament is in session.
This is a long standing tradition. It went on during the reign of Queen Victoria as well I think.

As a side note, Samantha Cameron is my fave PM's wife.  ;)
DIANISTA # 1

memememe

The meetings were even scheduled so that she could enjoy bathtime with the children when they were young.

The other thing they all do is spend a weekend at Balmoral during the summer holidays there.

During the weekly chat there is no one else present and no notes are officially kept although both parties may make a private note.  The PMs have often reported that what they enjoy about it most is that they are completely free to say whatever is concerning them and she will listen.

Her first PM was Churchill who guided her and now she is more the guide and confidante with the PMs knowing that she won't repeat to anyone what was discussed.

RaspBerries

Thanks for the additional information Lucy and memememe!  :flower:

lanshan75

I am totally agree with what you said,but my English is poor, sometiomes I don't know how to express my feeling,I just want to make some friends who can help me in my English and share the happiness with each other.