The Sussex Family General Chat Part 2

Started by sara8150, March 01, 2023, 12:11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sara8150

Welcome to Part 2 of the Sussex Family General Chat. Discussion of Frogmore Cottage should be in this thread. Thank you.

Harry and Meghan evicted from Frogmore Cottage by King Charles after Spare memoir - and Prince Andrew could be moving in | The Sun
Not surprised!!

TLLK

^^^I'm sorry but I have serious reservations about The Sun's article. Until we receive some official notification regarding the status of Frogmore Cottage, as far as I know it's still the Sussexes' home in the UK.

Now I do believe that at some point Andrew will have to leave Royal Lodge Windsor as it requires too much maintenance and renovation. There has to be a smaller property for him to reside in on the Windsor estate.

I don't see Charles "evicting" the Sussexes.

All about Frogmore Cottage, Harry and Meghan's UK home | House & Garden

QuoteThe house is still owned by Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, who used ?2.4m of taxpayer money to renovate the property, before paying it back in full when they moved to California. The news of the tax refund came in the wake of confirmation that the couple signed a multi-million dollar contract with Netflix, and reports that they are no longer receiving funding from Prince Charles, as they were when they first left the UK. Even though they have bought their family home across the pond, Frogmore Cottage does remain their UK residence.

Curryong

I don?t believe the FC eviction story either. It probably comes from a story that the Sussexes are having a sofa and another couple of pieces of furniture from FC shipped to California, which apparently began with a Twitter post from some staffer on the Sun. And for the Sun, two and two added up to eight. If BP or the Sussexes make some official type statement then I?ll believe it. Until then, No.

And re Andrew I?ve always understood that he had a 75 year lease for Royal Lodge, signed after the QM?s death. Would the King be able to break the lease in that way by cutting his Duchy of Lancaster allowance? It would have to have been cut to the bone for this sort of a story to be true.

And Andrew has had money coming his way for years from friends and has an extremely wealthy son in law. The finances in the York family are a mystery, but I find it hard to believe, also, that neither the Queen nor PP left any of their younger children with no financial position from their personal fortunes.

PrincessOfPeace

I'm not sure this the right thread but The Telegraph is also reporting the story. Discussions have been going on for a while but The King wants Harry and Meghan to move out and apparently they're not very happy about it.

King asks Duke and Duchess of Sussex to move out of Frogmore so Prince Andrew can move in

Archive: King asks Duke and Duchess of Sussex to move out of Frogmore so Prince Andrew can move in

Amabel2

what do they want FC for?  THey  are never going to live there permanetly again and it seems silly to leave it empty.  I dont know if Andrew is likely to leave his house, but if he is agreeable, as its a large house, FC seems a better fit for him.  Its a reasonable size, big enough for And and Fergie, and its in a safe area. 

Curryong

Quote from: Amabel2 on March 01, 2023, 11:28:24 AM
what do they want FC for?  THey  are never going to live there permanetly again and it seems silly to leave it empty.  I dont know if Andrew is likely to leave his house, but if he is agreeable, as its a large house, FC seems a better fit for him.  Its a reasonable size, big enough for And and Fergie, and its in a safe area.

It doesn?t appear that Andrew is agreeable as by all accounts he is resisting. It?s hardly likely that he would want to live cheek by jowl with Fergie in a five bedroom house after the roominess of Royal Lodge. They have a lot of dogs as well, and a horse apparently.

And as Andrew has already spent approx 7 million pounds on improvements to Royal Lodge in the last two decades (he?s on a 75 year long lease) in the expectation that RL would be his home for life, Charles will probably have to reimburse him for those expenses as well as reimburse the Sussexes for the 2.4 million they shelled out for the refurbishments/improvements at FC that the media howled about for two years, as well as the rent for FC they have shelled out for the next year..

The prospect of Andrew and Harry suing the Crown Estate in court for reimbursements (so they can buy homes in or around London or Windsor) would be a delicious thought for the media I?m sure. That?s the sort of thing that may well encourage Fergie into writing her own book. She has nothing to lose by it.

changemhysoul

To add onto the last thing I said, since they paid a three year lease because I didn't think about this part. They need to be paid back every penny that they paid to into renting that place.

So much for it being a gift but if that's how Charles wants to roll, fine. Just make sure that they get paid back every cent for the rest of the months that they aren't able to use it. You want him gone, fine but they shouldn't be paying for Andrew's place to live.

So, run them their money.

I didn't but Curryong summed it up perfectly. It didn't matter if it was being used or not by them, just as the royals have a bunch of homes they don't use but own but They paid a 3 year lease, the Crown took their money and are now kicking them out. So, if funds were given, the house needed to be held.

Fine. As long as you pay them back what was paid. I'll look forward to seeing that in future breathless coverage of this.

wannable

The lease is yearly, March 2022 to March 2023, but according to Omid they have until early summer to move out their belongings. The couple paid back the GBP 2.4 Million of the Sovereign Grant because of the public collective outcry, they lived there for only 6 months.

I agree the couple can lease elsewhere, but IMO it would be a costly mistake (in ref to Harry's case with HM Home Office) with no 'fixed' security as there is in crown estates in use by the BRF, which is limited to basically BP, SJP, KP and Windsor estate.

Alternatively, the broadsheet and tabloid, and Omid could all be wrong, and the couple have decided to relinquish the lease, which legally one has to notify (or the crown estate too, which seems to be the ploy to downgrade Andrew who will apparently also lose his royal salary GBP 250K/year, which translates to more than enough to pay yearly 'domestic' service as per labor law with a 30 room mansion, without that money, he should accept FC).

HistoryGirl2

^ Correct. The house was a gift, they were just given extra money to make the upgrades they wanted. The Queen didn?t ask them to pay for these changes when they were initially given the house.  They only paid back the money when there was public outcry about them choosing to leave after they?d been given so much money for the upgrades.

And those gifts can be rescinded at the discretion of the monarch. I?m sure Charles will reimburse them if he has to break their lease so Andrew can move in. It?s not like he?s hurting for cash. And I don?t really see why this wouldn?t occur. It?s not like they visit the UK regularly. It would probably be the best option for everybody moving forward.

Andrew does not need a 30 bedroom estate. He?s lucky if he even gets FC after the humiliation he?s brought to the BRF and the UK as a whole.

Amabel2

we dont know what is happening, Andrew may wish to find somwhere smaller, but he will require compensation for the money he shelled out. Im sure that they can sort it out among themselves and find a workable solution.

TLLK

As it appears that this story is true, I am certain that KCIII and his advisors are viewing these actions with an eye to the future to cover full time lodging for the DoY and occasional visits to the UK from the D/DssoS. Also this would have covered any possible long term financial effects for the Windsor Estate. To be honest, I expect that these decisions were being discussed for some time now as Charles had been starting to attend more meetings regarding the Duchy of Lancaster in the recent years prior to his mother's passing. After the Queen's death in September, then as soon as Charles and his advisors received a full accounting of all of the properties on the various estates, the plans were being put in motion. Honestly, I don't see the publication of Spare being the motivation to end the Sussexes' and DoY's leases and make the moves at FC.

1. The Sussexes- With the Sussexes established in California full time, the family's time in the UK will be limited to official events and future personal visits. I believe that anytime that the Sussexes and their children visit the UK for an official event, that there will be accommodation offered to them either in London or in Windsor. Currently no one is residing at Windsor Castle, so that might be where they'll be housed in one of the apartments. If it's a London based event, then accommodation at BP, SJP or KP would be available for them.

2. The Duke of York-  No doubt Charles will always have lodging available to his brother. Now Royal Lodge Windsor appears to have become a "money pit" so rather than continuing work there, any current project would be completed and the building would be closed rather than continue any future ones.

Having Andrew move into a newly renovated and smaller residence on the estate will provide him with a long term housing solution.

Amabel2

it depends on if Andrew wants to do that.  he has a long lease, and now, with his royal life finished, he may feel that he does not want to leave the home where he is secure, and its a lot cheaper to let A live there with the ring of security round Windsor, than to pay for private security for him outside Windsor. He could possibly share the house with family, if one of his daughters wanted to live with him and divide the house into 2 lodgings, depends on whether that is feasible.  Or he might shut up some of it and go on there.

TLLK

Frogmore Cottage seems like it would be the perfect solution for Andrew as it's still on the Windsor estate with all the necessary security.  It's newly renovated and would have more modern heating, plumbing, electrical and any prior issues with the building's soundness would have been addressed.

We know that Royal Lodge is larger and requires more very expensive work. IMHO it's better to ensure that the property's exterior is made sound ie roof, windows and then close it up.

wannable

Charles is a money making machine (fact, doubled the DOC, is about to do the same with the DOL, has already done so with private estate Sandringham and I bet Balmoral will follow with his ideas of agriculture, farming, letting, etc), I'm almost sure he will get a private tenant for the royal lodge, just like Fort Belvedere (Galen Weston, Canadian billionaire lives there and has the privilege of the fixed security at Windsor estate)

wannable

Also, one last add on, Andrew would greatly benefit from ''several shared domestic workers of Windsor Castle'', cleaners and gardener.  What more, he's against the wall situation, IF Andrew doesn't move, he will lose everyone with this grace and favor cottage whilst 99 percent of the planet are pinching here and there cost of living.

Curryong

Galen Weston died in 2021. His widow lives there as (like Andrew?s) the couple took it on a long lease, not that that seems to mean anything anymore. She?s elderly though and the couple?s children are adults.

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on March 01, 2023, 01:47:22 PM
Also, one last add on, Andrew would greatly benefit from ''several shared domestic workers of Windsor Castle'', cleaners and gardener.  What more, he's against the wall situation, IF Andrew doesn't move, he will lose everyone with this grace and favor cottage whilst 99 percent of the planet are pinching here and there cost of living.

The ?grace and favour cottage? that was a wedding gift from the Queen, a gift that has been snatched back by Charles, just as she approved Andrew?s Royal Lodge lease, that Andrew will lose. And Harry and Meghan didn?t share ?the services of the domestic servants at WC,? so why would Andrew?

And rather than a private tenant William and Kate and family may get Royal Lodge. As well as all their other homes. Great PR for the monarchy in a country with growing homelessness and ever rising mortgage rates among ordinary people.

TLLK

Quote from: wannable on March 01, 2023, 01:27:22 PM
Charles is a money making machine (fact, doubled the DOC, is about to do the same with the DOL, has already done so with private estate Sandringham and I bet Balmoral will follow with his ideas of agriculture, farming, letting, etc), I'm almost sure he will get a private tenant for the royal lodge, just like Fort Belvedere (Galen Weston, Canadian billionaire lives there and has the privilege of the fixed security at Windsor estate)

I agree. I believe that he and his team of advisors have been long eyeing how to make the estates and the properties on them more sustainable and profitable. If someone with the ready income wants to take on the work for RLW, then that's likely to happen.

Why Has the King Evicted Harry and Meghan from Frogmore? - YouTube

QuoteKing Charles has evicted Harry and Meghan from Frogmore Cottage, in Windsor - the couple's only home in the UK - and offered it to Prince Andrew, according to the Sun.

It?s understood that Buckingham Palace issued the eviction notice just days after the release of Harry's memoir.

It?s thought that the Sussexes are drawing up plans to ship their belongings to the US, as they?re kicked out of the five-bedroom house, which was a wedding present from the Queen.

The news comes after reports that Andrew was also being evicted from his mansion - Royal Lodge, which has a 98-acre estate, as the property is expensive keep, and Charles is planning to cut Andrew's ?249,000 annual allowance.

It?s thought that Andrew is against the move to Frogmore.

When the pair stepped down from their royal duties in 2020, Harry and Meghan paid back the ?2.4 million of Frogmore renovations to the taxpayer, and renewed their lease in May 2022.

It?s unknown whether they plan to fight the eviction.

changemhysoul

It had been said, they had until the start of summer but now it's changed to after the coronation.

So what it sounds like is being said, "come to the coronation protected so we don't look bad and then don't come back."

They could've just told him not comeback, no need to it push back when in the end, you're taking their home that they paid went for back. Unless, all Royals are going to downsize to just having one home, it didn't matter if the Sussex's were there or not, they were paying for it.

But, I'm at the point. of whatever. Pay them back for what they paid for and pack them back money already paid on the lease and call it a day.

wannable

Quote from: Curryong on March 01, 2023, 01:53:13 PM
The ?grace and favour cottage? that was a wedding gift from the Queen, a gift that has been snatched back by Charles, just as she approved Andrew?s Royal Lodge lease, that Andrew will lose. And Harry and Meghan didn?t share ?the services of the domestic servants at WC,? so why would Andrew?

And rather than a private tenant William and Kate and family may get Royal Lodge. As well as all their other homes. Great PR for the monarchy in a country with growing homelessness and ever rising mortgage rates among ordinary people.

Basically it is, Andrew could find himself looking for an 'outside' property, which is worse, no security.

wannable

Quote from: changemhysoul on March 01, 2023, 02:06:28 PM
It had been said, they had until the start of summer but now it's changed to after the coronation.

So what it sounds like is being said, "come to the coronation protected so we don't look bad and then don't come back."

They could've just told him not comeback, no need to it push back when in the end, you're taking their home that they paid went for back. Unless, all Royals are going to downsize to just having one home, it didn't matter if the Sussex's were there or not, they were paying for it.

But, I'm at the point. of whatever. Pay them back for what they paid for and pack them back money already paid on the lease and call it a day.

I think its more complicated,
IMO Harry finished blowing it to bits with his I want a public apology to 72 hours ago I want a private apology. Either way, IF the couple show up at the coronation, they can say they received an apology from Charles, William, Camilla and Kate by changing his status of how he wants his apology.  The BRF have catched up on the Sussexes con artist ways.

With no home base and Omid notifying his followers on a weekly basis invitation status from his masters. 

This is bigger and I believe tied to whatever ties Harry has with the constitutional monarchy, hearing with HM Home Office, as priority IMO notified to Charles to stop it in its tracks, no more oxygen for drama, the apology change is so queen drama soap opera, the King can't continue with monarchy bent it's knee on a mad crazed son who admits to alcohol and drug abuse (yet). It will be the end of Charles...unfit to be king, can't even handle the crown estates, and so on. Cleaning up.

TLLK

Quote from: changemhysoul on March 01, 2023, 02:06:28 PM

Honestly that makes sense to have them finish the move out while one or both might be present in the UK. They or one of them can be there to do a final walk through once all the moving is completed.
As to any future visits to the UK for official business ie: Well Child, Smart Works etc...personal reasons, the couple will very likely be offered lodging at one of the London based palaces or at Windsor Castle. They'd be assured of a secure lodging that way.

There was bound to be some reassessment of the various properties after the passing QEII and it didn't make sense to keep Andrew at the huge RLW property. Five bedroom FC is more than adequate for himself and Sarah if she chooses to remain there. Their daughters and their families have their own homes now.  Also with the Sussexes no longer choosing to reside full time in the UK, they now will no longer have to pay for an annual lease of FC. That in and of itself is a win for the couple IMO.