The Wales' Children Nannies

Started by marine2109, September 12, 2013, 01:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Adams

Whelp. This is embarrassing.  :girlblush:

Prince George's nanny on Spain's shame list for TAX DODGING - Mirror Online

The new royal nanny will be helping to keep Prince George on the straight and narrow – but her own reputation is not quite as perfect as it seemed.

Maria Teresa Turrion Borrallo, 43, is on a town hall's "name and shame" list in her homeland Spain for failing to pay its equivalent of council tax.

She was threatened with a visit from debt collectors unless she paid the money she owed, as well as a fine and interest.

The revelation is expected to cause her embarrassment with William and Kate who she started working for a few weeks ago after an intensive interview process.

Miss Borrallo appeared on the online register of shame in May 2007 and July 2008 for two years' non-payment. She settled the debt but her name remains on the list.

A source close to her said: "She's resolved the situation and owes no money to the council now.

"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

TLLK

As Scooby Doo would say "Ruh Roh." :teehee:

Actually more interested in the 6'3" wide house that is one the market.

cinrit

Considering the tax has been paid, and considering this happened 5-6 years ago, why is the Mirror bringing it up now?  I'd say the shame belongs to The Mirror, not the nanny. :P

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Limabeany

I don't think this is a big deal, she may have been going through hardship, there is a recession and hard times all over, and she paid it al, so, even though she lives abroad, she honored her debt, I assume she did when she could. Good for her. But as far as the reporting of it, this comes along with the territory, the media is not to blame for reporting it, in the case of Kate's many skirt fly-ups the shame does not belong to the media who reported it but to Kate, in this case, she has nothing to be ashamed of, she honored her debt in the end, but she will probably be embarassed by the reporting of it. It is a matter of realizing this comes with the territory, the unffairness of it is irrelevant, that is the way things are, and she moves on, unless her bosses turn her into a lawsuit-happy whiner... I shouldn't say her bosses because I have always thought it is William who wants to sue to show who is boss and not Kate. C'est la vie. It happened. It was reported. She moves on.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

cinrit

Coming with the territory doesn't mean that it's ethical, for want of a better word, and that's what I meant.  The only reason The Mirror reported this was to embarrass someone.  Not very high-minded. :shrug:

Cindy

Jenee

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on March 21, 2014, 03:43:17 AM
^^^ I'd love for you to give me some reason's why her qualifications should take a back seat to the country she was born in? She was the most qualified candidate. Maybe its just me but I always thought that when it comes to family and children you do what is best for them. This isn't about Kate buying a dress from a local designer, this is about her child's well-being.

I can't speak for Lady Adams, but in my opinion, there is a trade off... Someone raised in England with English cultural background AND the same training that the Spanish nanny received should be considered the best candidate. You can't teach culture in nanny class and that should have been taken into consideration when the nanny was selected. A Spanish nanny can be taught to speak English, can learn the geography of the UK etc but has still had a fundamentally Spanish upbringing. Values, traditions, nuances of a culture can be observed by outsiders, but cannot be taught. They have to be ingrained. So yes, this woman may have had the highest marks in her nanny classes, may have been absolutely charming in her interview... But for someone in George's position, she lacks a major qualification... And that is to be of the same cultural history as her charge.
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

cinrit

^^ All of that is true, and I would agree if this nanny were working for the average couple.  Aside from the fact that she has lived in the U.K. for many years, this nanny will be in charge of a Royal; a future king.  Unless she'd worked in a royal household previously, which would likely have been reported if she had, it's not possible for her or any other nanny to know the culture that George will grow up in. 

As I understand it, the Cambridges were given a shortlist of qualified candidates.  Surely they (or their office) checked them all out, and surely all candidates were interviewed by the Cambridges.  It just happened that the most qualified was Spanish. 

Cindy

PrincessOfPeace

QuoteSomeone raised in England with English cultural background

So the Cambridges didn't hired a British nanny for spite? Norland College the supplier of nannies to the BRF for generations short listed Maria Borallo.

Britain in 2014 isn't the Britain of Lady Diana. Years of mass immigration has transformed England into the most multi-culture and multi-ethnic country in Europe.

Most of George's future subjects will not have been raised in 'England with English cultural background' whatever that means. (which to me seems like code for 'white' )

Rebound

The BRF has had a pretty continental flavor for centuries. I have read that the Queen Mum, Margaret and QEII frequently spoke French with each other. Elizabeth and Margaret had French and Belgian nannies, accordion to the RF official website. Charles and Philip are also said to speak French.

I think George will receive plenty of grounding in English culture from both sides of the family.

Speaking Spanish can only be helpful to a future monarch. Much of the world speaks their ethnic language as well as English. My granddaughters are learning to speak Spanish from a very early age. It is said that learning another language makes it easier to learn more languages. In this small, global world, it will be very much respected.

TLLK

And George will be able to chat up the Dutch princesses as well as the Spanish Infantas.  :vday2:

Limabeany

There is such a thing as tutors...  :)
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

PrincessOfPeace

QuoteLIKE a real-life Mary Poppins, Isobel Martin can magically turn her hand to anything when it comes to children.

Be it making a toy boat out of an innocuous cardboard box, sewing a dinosaur costume from scratch or getting that spoonful of unpalatable medicine to go down she exudes the same warmth and presence as Julie Andrews's character from the 1964 Disney film.

But then she has been trained at the prestigious Norland College, just like Maria Teresa Turrion Borrallo, the nanny hired by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to care for Prince George during their tour of New Zealand and Australia which starts on Monday.

Its graduates are the creme de la creme of nannies in the UK and have long been the preferred choice of childcare for the rich, famous and royal, including Princess Anne and Sir Mick Jagger.
More: What makes the college where Prince George's new nanny graduated from so special? | Royal | News | Daily Express