British Royal Weddings of the 20th Century

Started by Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, September 09, 2003, 03:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curryong

There are photos of Mary, the bride, around. Was this article from before or after the wedding. Because if it was before a sketch artist had managed to get into the fashion House with pad and pencil!

The fashions of the very early 1920s were so baggy and shapeless. They often seem to have been multi-layered as well. Awful! God help you if you were short and dumpy.

LouisFerdinand

Princess Alexandra, Duchess of Fife 1913 wedding     
The bride's wedding dress was entusted to the firm of Barolet, 51 Knightsbridge.     
The long Court train was of white charmeuse.

TLLK

Here's a spotlight on the royal wedding dresses designed by Norman Hartwell for Princess Alice -The Duchess of Gloucester, Princess Elizabeth -QEII, Princess Margaret and Princess Beatrice of York. Personally I truly like all of them for their unique designs and originality ie PssA's pink wedding gown. Also I appreciate the ingenuity  as Hartwell definitely faced challenges with the Queen's gown considering that it was extremely difficult to find enough fabric. Margaret's dramatic tulle skirt and tight bodice was wonderful. I still find it so sentimentally sweet that Beatrice wore one of her grandmother's gowns as her wedding dress in 2021.

The royal wedding dresses created by Sir Norman Hartnell ? Royal Central

QuoteHe created some of the most famous royal looks of the 20th century and he?s still producing talked about style picks. Sir Norman Hartnell was already a sought after wedding dress designer when he was first commissioned to produce a bridal outfit by the House of Windsor. Over eight decades on, and long after his own death, he was responsible for another famous royal marriage look. On the 85th anniversary of Sir Norman?s first foray into the world of royal wedding gowns, we look back at the dazzling dresses he created for Windsor brides.

Curryong

Hartnell was certainly a great friend of the QM. Apparently Prss Margaret wanted to follow her own path but most of her dresses as a very young woman are by Hartnell. I remember reading about the making of the Queen?s wedding gown (and later her Coronation gown.) Even in 1953 some materials were in short supply. Poor England, the Austerity Years certainly weren?t fun!

sara8150

Sophie Wessex's never-before-seen second wedding dress revealed in resurfaced photo | HELLO!

Kate Middleton and Prince William's prestigious wedding honour that other royals weren't allowed | HELLO!
When Prince William and Princess Catherine got married in April 29,2011 they chosen red carpet follow his parents Prince Charles and late Diana,Princess of Wales?s nuptial 1981 wedding and also late Queen Elizabeth II and Duke of Edinburgh?s 1947 wedding but Eugenie?s nuptial wedding in 2018 blue carpet follow her parents?s wedding Harry and Meghan?s 2018 wedding and also Princess Anne?s 1973 wedding

TLLK

The late Queen and Duke of Edinburgh's 75th anniversary was yesterday Nov. 20th.

The simple present Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip gave to their wedding guests ? Royal Central

QuoteHowever, heather was something of a theme at this royal wedding. The guests would all be given a wedding favour consisting of a sprig of white heather tied with silver ribbon. It was a rather simple memento of a very historic day.

LouisFerdinand

Quote from: TLLK on November 21, 2022, 01:24:14 PM
The late Queen and Duke of Edinburgh's 75th anniversary was yesterday Nov. 20th.

The simple present Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip gave to their wedding guests ? Royal Central
Where was the heather that provided the sprigs of heather for the wedding?

Curryong

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on November 21, 2022, 11:07:35 PM

Where was the heather that provided the sprigs of heather for the wedding?

Probably from the Balmoral estate. Though I have to say, that they took a chance. Like most wild flowers and plants, heather isn?t very long lasting once it?s plucked from the ground. It tends to lose its colour quickly and become twig-like.

TLLK

@Curryong- I agree. It's tempting to add native plants into bouquets ie: Mary Donaldson's bouquet featured Eucalyptus from her native Australia, but these are plants that are not meant to bloom for very long.

QuoteCROWN PRINCESS MARY OF DENMARK Tasmanian-born Crown Princess Mary's bouquet as she wed Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark was a dramatic cascade which featured antique roses, stephanotis, azaleas, spirea and, last but not least, eucalyptus flown in from Australia especially for the occasion, a nod to the bride's heritage. Photo: Getty Images

More details on Princess Elizabeth's wedding bouquet.

QuoteQueen Elizabeth II (1947)
Queen Elizabeth II had a beautiful bridal bouquet made from three types of British-grown orchids: white cattleya, odontoglossum and cypripedium. The striking, free-flowing floral arrangement was especially spectacular amidst the post-war period of austerity, where small, modest bouquets were the norm

Curryong

Yes that?s right. Actually eucalyptus is very unusual to have in a wedding bouquet. In fact I?ve never heard of it before. It?s a bit smelly.

I do think that the then Princess Elizabeth?s bouquet was spectacular. The flowers chosen were gorgeous. The whole wedding must have been a bright light in the gloom of austerity Britain.

LouisFerdinand

1904 Princess Alice of Albany     
Illustration of Princess Alice in The Sphere on February 13, 1904     
Mary Evans Royal Wedding 1904 -- Princess Alice of Albany 10503211   

:xmas22: :xmas22: :xmas22: :xmas22: :xmas22: :xmas22: :xmas22: :xmas22: :xmas22: :xmas22:

LouisFerdinand

Princess Anne had fifteen white roses in her 1973 bouquet.   
Pin by X? on Royalty | Royal wedding dress, Princess anne, Royal weddings     

:flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower:

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

Mr. Sydney Nicholson was the organist at the 1923 Royal Wedding of Prince Albert   
Frederick, Duke of York and Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon.   
Mary Evans Organist at the Royal Wedding 10499720

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

Did Princess Marina of Greece and Prince George, Duke of Kent have a Greek Orthodox service that preceded the wedding at Westminster Abbey?

LouisFerdinand

On July 15, 1952 the Honourable Gerald Lascelles married Miss Angela Dowding     
at St. Margaret's Church, Westminster in London, England.

LouisFerdinand

Lady Sarah Chatto married Daniel Chatto on July 14, 1994.     
I like the fact that the white dresses of the bridesmaids were similar to Lady Sarah's wedding dress.The flowers in their hair beautifully matches the flowers in the bouquets.   
UK - Royal Wedding - YouTube

TLLK

Today is the 100th wedding anniversary for the late George VI and Queen Elizabeth (the Queen Mother). The Daily Mail has a look back on the day accompanied by some excellent photographs.

Inside the wedding of King George VI and the Queen Mother after she rejected two of his proposals | Daily Mail Online

From Royal Musings

Royal Musings: 100 years ago today: the wedding of the Duke of York & Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon

The wedding of Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon and Prince Albert (1923) - YouTube

LouisFerdinand

@TLLK, The Daily Mail article mentions Lady Elizabeth's father is The Honourable   
John Herbert Bowes-Lyon. This is incorrect.   
Elizabeth's father is Claude Bowes-Lyon, 14th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne.

LouisFerdinand

Princess Margaret of England's daughter Lady Sarah's   
wedding gown considered the most Romantic wedding gown   
Princess Margaret's Daughter Lady Sarah?s Wedding Gown Considered The Most ROMANTIC Wedding Gown - YouTube

LouisFerdinand

On the wedding day of Prince Henry and Princess Alice, The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, the wedding cake could not be cut. The icing was too hard.

Curryong

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on July 18, 2023, 10:44:49 PM
On the wedding day of Prince Henry and Princess Alice, The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, the wedding cake could not be cut. The icing was too hard.

I think, if I?m not mistaken, that they married in the middle of a very cold winter. It was not a particularly joyous occasion. Both fathers of the bride and the groom were desperately ill before, during and after it. I can?t remember whether Alice?s father died before the ceremony or afterwards, but he was certainly dead by the end of 1935 and George V in the following January. The gloom was probably matched by the cold within BP. The Palace has always been notoriously difficult to warm and the RF are very fond of fresh air, so no wonder the icing froze!