British Royal Weddings of the 20th Century

Started by Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, September 09, 2003, 03:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amabel

Quote from: Princess Cassandra on May 28, 2019, 01:10:48 PM
I think that another reason they chose St. George's may be that the family think of it as their home church.  Family members are buried in the church itself and at nearby Frogmore, and it is the venue for lots of family events (both happy and sad). It must be so comforting to them.
Not sure about that.  Previously senior royals married in London, IIRC more minor ones like the Dukes of Gloucester and kent didn't.. THey married in local churches

But the senior ones had big weddings in London.  Now, the trend seems to be to go outside London, to Windsor.. partly because of security reasons and to try and minimise the inconvenience to Londoners.. and partly I feel because there is an increasing feeling that a Royal wedding isn't a big spectacle that interests the public any more.   It may be an inevitable development, but I feel a bit uneasy that if the RF aren't "giving us a show" from time to time with their weddings, they are becoming less important.  I think that the RF perceive that the public just are not as interested as they used to be in watching weddings..or that they tend to perceive the "bad side" of them more than the enjoyment of watching them.. (ie costs and security problems) and so they keep tehm smaller and not in the capital..

TLLK

@amabel-Yes in this day and age security costs to protect the royals and members of the public are an ongoing concern. Limiting these types of family events to Windsor does keep the crowd size smaller when compared to London.

Likely the next big events to be held at WA which would require a massive security operation would be funerals and coronations. I don't expect another royal wedding to be held there for two or three decades.

Double post auto-merged: May 28, 2019, 01:52:15 PM

QuoteI think that another reason they chose St. George's may be that the family think of it as their home church.  Family members are buried in the church itself and at nearby Frogmore, and it is the venue for lots of family events (both happy and sad). It must be so comforting to them.

Another popular royal wedding venue was the Chapel Royal at St. James' Palace. It was the site for the wedding of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert and many of their descendants including Edward VII and Queen Alexandra.

Royal Wedding: British royal weddings since 1840 - Los Angeles Times

amabel

I can't help thinking @TLLK that it is a rather depressing development.  Of course there are security issues, but I think it is a sign that the RF now is moving towards a  MUCH quieter lifestyle.. because the public no longer seem to want it to provide a spectacle, as used to be the case.  Harry is the son of a future King..and yet he ended up in a wedding at Windsor.. which I thought was unlikely... .

TLLK

I know what you mean @amabel but considering the terror attacks ie Manchester and London that had happened in the UK prior to his 2018 wedding,  the safety for the public had to be considered as well. IMHO security and the costs associated with it were the main reasons that Harry and Meghan had a Windsor wedding rather than a WA one.

amabel

Certtainly It was part of the reason....and of course there is also the issue of the queen and Philip beng older now and I think they now spend less time in London, so Windsor is a better place for them to be situated prior to the various weddings.  But I cant help wondering does it mean that as you say the RF wont be "giving the public a big spectacle" all that often from now on?   Eugenie was the first princess to marry in over 40 years and it was a moderate sized wedding at Windsor and I don't think ti was all that popular iwht the British public...

LouisFerdinand

Do you think that St. Stephen Walbrook Church might be used for a royal wedding? The church was the venue for the wedding of Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones and Daniel Chatto.

LouisFerdinand

Prince Albert, Duke of York was the first royal groom to wed in the dress uniform of the newest branch of the armed services, the Royal Air Force.

LouisFerdinand

TLLK

LouisFerdinand

Princess Victoria Patricia of Connaught married Alexander Ramsay at Westminster Abbey on February 27, 1919. There had not been a royal wedding at Westminster Abbey for several centuries.

LouisFerdinand

Royal Wedding Issue   
The cover of Picture Post magazine showing Princess Elizabeth arriving at Westminster Abbey in the Irish State Coach.   
The cover of a special royal wedding edition of Picture Post... News Photo - Getty Images

LouisFerdinand

In The Queen Mother Lady Colin Campbell wrote:   
All of Cecilia, Countess of Strathmore's plans and her requests for her daughter Lady Elizabeth's wedding would have to pass through the hands of the King and Queen. Thereafter, Cecilia liaised with the Palace, sending endless requests for additional guests to be added to her list. The wedding would be significantly smaller than Princess Mary's 1922 wedding had been.

LouisFerdinand

Princess Mary, the daughter of King George V and Queen Mary of England, married Henry Lascelles, Viscount Lascelles at Westminster Abbey on February 28, 1922.             

LouisFerdinand

The 1934 wedding of Prince George, Duke of Kent and Princess Marina of Greece was the first royal wedding to be broadcast on the radio.

TLLK

Here's a little history on the wedding of one of the BRF's most glamorous couples of the 20th century. You can spot a young Princess Elizabeth of York as one of Princess Marina's bridesmaids. There was also another future queen in their wedding party as the NL's Princess Juliana was an attendant too.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Wedding Wednesday: Princess Marina's Gown

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

In 1963 Queen Elizabeth II hosted a Wedding Ball for Princess Alexandra of Kent and Angus Ogilvy at Windsor Castle.     
Wedding Ball of Princess Alexandra and the Hon. Angus Ogilvy, 1963 | The Royal Watcher

LouisFerdinand

Princess Alexandra, Duchess of Fife wed Prince Arthur of Connaught at the Chapel Royal of St. James' Palace on October 15, 1913.     
Prince Arthur Of Connaught's Wedding To Duchess Of Fife (1914-1918) - YouTube

LouisFerdinand

On July 14, 1994 Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones married Daniel Chatto at St. Stephen's Walbrook Church in London.   

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

Prince Edward and Miss Katharine Worsley's wedding in York Minster was the first royal wedding to take place there for over six hundred years when King Edward III had married Philippa of Hainault in 1328.