Amazing Photos of Castles, Palaces, and Chateaux

Started by drezzle, July 16, 2008, 09:19:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drezzle

If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

Princess H

Thanks drezzle, I really enjoyed the pictures!

Emme

Wow, amazing pictures.  I have always loved castles.  Thanks, Drezzle! 

Jenee

Wow, brilliant pictures! That sort of history is so lacking in the US :(
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

Windsor

"I come from Europe, where the history comes from" - Eddie Izzard  :chuckle:

Emme

Quote from: Jenee on July 17, 2008, 09:36:56 PM
Wow, brilliant pictures! That sort of history is so lacking in the US :(

America, in terms of history, is still a young country and we wouldn't have that sort of history as England does.  Remember, they have been around a lot longer than American, and additionally, America at one time was a colony of Britain. America as a nation has only gained independance about 230 years ago.   :)

Jenee

Quote from: Windsor on July 18, 2008, 02:23:12 PM
"I come from Europe, where the history comes from" - Eddie Izzard  :chuckle:

Another Eddie Izzard quote: Disney came over and built Euro Disney, and they built the Disney castle there, and it was, "You better make it a bit bigger, they've actually got them here"

:teehee:
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

Rhiannon*

^  :haha: :haha: I LOVE that Eddie Izzard routine!

Thanks Drezzle! I know what some of them are used for today, but I wish the person who put all that together had included that info too.

QueenK

I like the Craigdarroch castle. It's like a mix between a normal house, palace, castle, and mansion. Very homey.
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

drezzle

I especially like the big porch wrapped around the house, and it's in Canada!

My favority is Lednice Castle, although there's a few others that come close such as Peles Castle, Scone Palace, and Chateau de Chenonceau.   I have a book that has the interiors and history of most of these too, but who knows where I might have put it?  My ideal is a castle on a cliff overlooking the ocean in Wales or Scotland..............
If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

LouisFerdinand

It was interesting to learn that Doorwerth Castle had been called Dorenweerd Castle. The spelling of Doorwerth dates from 1800.