Change to Danish royal law

Started by Wombat, June 04, 2006, 04:09:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wombat

Change to Danish royal law ~ Sunday Telegraph
QuoteThe Danish parliament has unanimously voted in favour of a new royal succession law that would allow a first-born child to one day ascend the throne regardless of whether it is a boy or a girl.

Lila the Flirt

Good. Welcome to the 21st century

Flirt's the name, flirtin's my game :lila:

QB

bad. passing these stupid ridiculous laws will spell the end for all monarchies in 50 years maybe a bit more. i don't know what they're thinking. It's good to hear the Queen opposes these laws, but I doubt she can really influence parliaments decision.
Why is you pickin on me? Is it cuz I is   ginger, aiii? –Arri G

Windsor

I am strongly against these new succession laws. Hopefully the British and Commonwealth succession laws will never be changed.

Wombat

how will it lead to monarchies ceasing? And why is it bad? :shrug:

Toujours

Quote from: wombat on June 15, 2006, 11:54:54 PM
how will it lead to monarchies ceasing? And why is it bad? :shrug:

im curious about that, too.  :hmm:
ElizabethII-ite: #0003Maryite #0002Willite #0054Harryite #0071Cheesite #0004Flirtite #15 :kisskiss:
My name is Toujours. I sleep in a padded cell. Wisely enough they give me an ample supply of choc

QB

Monarchies are not a modern concept. So 'moderizing' things is not always a good idea. A monarchy was created with the idea that there would be a King and a Queen as consort, and while the reining Queens are wonderful Queens, 2 out of the three reining European Queens are againts this system. I'm not sure about Beatrix of Netherlands. Supposedly Charles wants to change this law when he becomes King, but I can't think of one reason why and I hope it never ever happens. I'm pissed off they're even considering it  <_<

Wombat

But why will it mean the end of the monarchy?

Change is not a new concept when it comes to monarchies.  They have all seen change in vastly different ways....such as absolute rule.  I think that any change, so long as it is well thought through and agreed that it will enhance and benefit the future of these royal houses, should be encouraged.

QB

perhaps, but I don't see how this would benefit the monarchy? it completley changes what a monarchy is meant to be about, and will end monarchies (eventually) because people allready have thje wrong idea and that stupid law will only make it even worse. As far as I know, only Norway, Sweeden, Belgium and the Netherlands have this law? There is no way they wont be kicking themselves in 50 years time or even less. only the idiots who made this decision wont be around  <_<
Keep in mind I'm not saying this as disrespect to the reiging female Queens we do have. I think they do amazingly well, but 2/3 have expressed their desire for the 'boy first' law to stay. And they are the ones who truly know.

hippie_cyndi

i read somewhere...king gustaf had such a fit when sweden was introducing the law...to let Victoria be the next ruler instead of prince philip...but look @ her today, she's an amazing crown princess  :Royal:

I don't see what's wrong with having a law that says, regardless of sex :shrug: whomever is born 1st, unless he/she is incapable...should be trained as the next-in-line.....also, like the netherland....norway...all the crown princes' kids are female...none of them have a son...which means...it would've skipped their kids...and went 2 their brother or sister's son...just bc girls aren't good enough 2 rule :rolleyes: nothing is wrong with modernizing the monarchy...you just have to balance it out...and pick your choices carefully :)
Thanx Crystalrayn :flowery:

SweetHomeNC

Actually, Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway gave birth to a son late last year, Prince Sverre Magnus, so Norway would be fine if it was still on male favored succession.

lovisa

Monarchies today are more of a "holding on to the old tradition" than "the king is the ruler of everything" like they were originally. Things have changed and with the increasing amount of liberty and indepenence among the common citizens monarchies today ARE NOT out of neccessary, they´re only a tradition. It´s basically pointless, but monarchies are still working because people wanted them to work, they ajusted them to the modern ways of things. And I think this is just another step towards that. I don´t see a problem in having the oldes child (regardless of it´s sex) heir the throne. Women´s indepenency has increased alot and although some things should stay traditional these things are one of those things that develope in time. And who knows, maybe five hundred years from now there will have become an "only women can heir the throne-rule"? or maybe "the youngest child most heir the throne-rule"? My point is times change, and everyone has to ajust, even the monarchies. They have to, because, if they hadn´t in the past, I mean the the heirs wouldn´t be aloud to marry commoners, and then we wouldn´t have all these amazing crown princesses we have today like Mary and Mette-Marit and Máxima. We just have to get used to the thought. I don´t thing it´s the end of monarchies, I think people will always want to have them around, but like everything else they have to develope with time.

Maryite #0007

hippie_cyndi

Quote from: SweetHomeNC on July 14, 2006, 05:42:30 PM
Actually, Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway gave birth to a son late last year, Prince Sverre Magnus, so Norway would be fine if it was still on male favored succession.

i thought it was a girl...my bad :blush: :laugh:
Thanx Crystalrayn :flowery: