Prince William to Become Full-Time Student to Study Agricultural Management

Started by cinrit, December 30, 2013, 03:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HereditaryPrincess

QuoteIf his new life as a mature student gets too much for the Duke of Cambridge, he can always run away and hide in Nettleton. "We are a bit remote, but he'd be welcome here," says Diane Bell, who runs the shop and post office in this tiny village in north Wiltshire. "He would learn a lot from us. We need a new champion for the countryside and he would be a great one."
This ardent royalist is all of a flutter at having been given a totally unexpected British Empire Medal in the New Year Honours, a reward for 36 years of service to her village, in the shop she started in her front room. The announcement was made on the same day that it emerged the Duke of Cambridge was going back to college to study agricultural management. The 10-week course, which starts this week, will prepare him to take on his father's role as a voice for the countryside and to manage the Duchy of Cornwall.
Mrs Bell believes Prince William might be just what is needed as a spokesman for rural England. "Nobody is listening to us. The politicians all say that they are, but they don't do anything about it. We need someone like him to speak up on our behalf."

Prince William: a new voice for the countryside - Telegraph

HsHCharlene

I think that the students at Cambridge can have a certain opinion about William getting into a course there and it being used as pr, as if he really went there. But the truth is that it is just a continuing education course, which many universities do, that does not end in any qualification. So as long as he doesn't brag about "going to Cambridge uni" as if he actually was a real student then he should be fine. Many people work hard every day and have to earn their places at higher education institutions and as long as this isn't pushed as a pr thing of how smart he is then it is just another part of his training for his future role as Pow and monarch. I think it's a good thing and can help him more fully understand how his future income will be derived. The Duchy is a business portfolio and he will never actually run it himself, there are business professionals that do that. The main point is for him to understand how these things work and not to take them for granted. IMO, he is going in the right direction and is taking his role seriously. Those students do also get to have an opinion, but luckily their opinions do not run the world.  :wink:

Limabeany

"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Blue Clover

Quote from: Macrobug on January 05, 2014, 08:29:56 AM
Left over trauma from uni years.....still wake up in a cold sweat with flashbacks of profs looming over me barking out "Show me the research!!  Conclusive proof!!!  Who are your sources???"

Gah :ahhh:

Profs can be downright terrifying when it comes to evidence and proof!  :random38: :pullhair:

TLLK

Quote from: Blue Clover on January 05, 2014, 09:09:52 PM
Quote from: Macrobug on January 05, 2014, 08:29:56 AM
Left over trauma from uni years.....still wake up in a cold sweat with flashbacks of profs looming over me barking out "Show me the research!!  Conclusive proof!!!  Who are your sources???"

Gah :ahhh:

Profs can be downright terrifying when it comes to evidence and proof!  :random38: :pullhair:
I've been out of my master's program for 16 years now. I still wake up in a panic  with nightmares about school. I always seem to forget that I've enrolled in a course, but only show up for the mid-terms and finals. Someone hands me a blue book and then I'm taking an exam in which I know nothing about the course. Actually have to remind myself that I am not enrolled!!!! :cry:

Blue Clover

TLLK,
I know what you mean about school related nightmares!  :hug?:

anitalalala2

I thouhg i was the only one who hd such nightmares  :lol:
Good to know anyway...
About william i think is good hes doing something..it does seems to me logical and good what else can be said anyway...but still i do think what motivating him has more to deal with his life being boring and he wanting dome change than necoming more serious about he becoming a royal...i even believe he wants to learn and dedicate to somehting else but i dont buy for one second is coz he wnats to be a better royals  :Lothwen:

I know i might be too rigorous about my views on him but i cant deny thats how i see it anyway... :shrug:
Again whathever the reason is it shows clearlly one thing..hes not really happy about his new life neither as a father neither as hunband...if he is anywya many rumours will come oput of it anyway..epseically about he becoming friendlly with girls on campus such things..while kate is at home taking care o fthe baby and blabalbalabla...my views anyway...

I dont find werid the duke of Cambridge is going to Cambridge i do find weird that william is going there and more that the students are not happy about it...  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cinrit

QuoteMix with the Hoi Polloi at Cambridge! Don's Plea to Wills As Students Ask: How Did He Win a Place?

Mary Beard has weighed into the debate over Prince William studying at Cambridge University by saying he should use the opportunity to meet ordinary students.  The Cambridge classicist and TV presenter said it would give the second in line to the throne a chance to learn about those who fear falling into debt or failing to see their hard work translate into successful careers.

The university pointed out that different admission rules apply for William's agricultural course, and that he already has a degree, from St Andrews.

Yesterday Professor Beard told the Daily Mail: 'I very much hope that he will take the opportunity to meet some of our more "ordinary" students, struggling with making ends meet, worried about careers, future and debt.'

More: Mary Beard's plea to Prince William, as Cambridge students ask how he won place | Mail Online

Cindy

Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Limabeany

I am beginning to think this is more indicative of the feelings of many regarding William than his fans would want people to believe. I think this is a sign that he is still far from earning the respect and reverence that is no longer given simply because he will one day wear a crown. He needs to get his act together and realize that normal people work and study and multitask all the time without fear of working too hard and that the days when royalty simply hunted and locked themselves in the comfort of their castles away from the masses giving the appearance of not doing much with an adoring public thinking they deserve to live that kind of life while the rest of the people toil away because their blood is blue have been over for a long time.

Queen Elizabeth once said she had to be seen to be believed. William needs to be seen to be believed to be working hard and considered worthy of admiration instead of an entitled privileged man who can't do more than one task at a time in the eye of his peers. The incognito behind-the-scenes stories he and his wife believe they have mastered are not cutting it with people who work hard and live in a world where privilege is not justifiable by birth anymore without question but may be subject to questioning and demands of justification. There will always be royal fans, but William and Kate, like Charles before them, are losing the respect of their peers, or rather not doing anything to earn it. There is not reason for this to happen, except these students, don't seem to have any admiration for William and don't feel they are getting anything valuable from their involvement and contact with the future King, perception is everything, it is the only reason people will buy that it great that primogeniture determines who is the Head of State and acceptable for no one else in the country to have that chance.

I think if Queen Elizabeth would stop being an ostrich and realize that the Firm is her family, that it is a family firm and she needs to manage her family and her future, the future of the monarchy would not depend on a man who is resented and disrespected this way but a man who is admired by his peers, not just the royal fans, by the time he is set to become King those are the people whose support he will need, the support of the unquestioning pr-believing royal fans, every day there are less people willing to set aside their common sense. I think this is evident in the case of Charles. Even though some still mock him and dislike his behavior with his mistress during his courtship and marriage to Diana, he has earned respect for being a hard worker, someone dedicated, with interests and beliefs of value to others in spite of this and more so every day. His son, on the other hand, is distancing himself from being who is earning the respect of the common working people. his "transition" gap year have done nothing for his reputation, there is nothing he is doing, a few times he has been seen doing something for an hour or two (sixty something) that he can 't be doing while working hard for the Monarchy. Because that is what people all over England are doing. Queen. Elizabeth is een to do little more than cut ribbons and shake hands, but the octagenarian's calendar deserved and gets the respect of her people. This is to me indicative that William needs, not pr, that has gotten him the all -believing fans, but he needs to exhibit dedication and strength and duty that are seen so they can be believed.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

cinrit

The media is making a big deal of this, as though the majority of students at Cambridge are rising en masse, decrying William's presence on their campus.  That isn't so.  We haven't heard from a crowd of angry students, nor have we seen crowds marching the streets at Cambridge, waving their fists and shouting "Stay away William", which is the image the media apparently want us to conjure up in our minds.  A columnist at The Guardian, Melissa Berrill who is a Cambridge graduate, began the debate and the media took heed and were off and running.  Actually, Ms. Berrill may have embarrassed herself by not understanding what kind of course William will be taking at her alma mater.  It is the type of course regularly given by the university through their Continuing Education department, and there are only two requirements for entry: desire to attend, and the funds to pay for attendance. 

Are Prince William's grades good enough for Cambridge?

The Royal Family is still on it's Christmas holiday.  The media need to write about something, and anything will do, it seems.

Cindy

TLLK

Quote from: Blue Clover on January 06, 2014, 02:16:54 AM
TLLK,
I know what you mean about school related nightmares!  :hug?:
Thank you! I wish I knew why we're still having them.  :thanks:

missbliss

Quote from: cinrit on January 06, 2014, 03:36:58 PM
The media is making a big deal of this, as though the majority of students at Cambridge are rising en masse, decrying William's presence on their campus.  That isn't so.  We haven't heard from a crowd of angry students, nor have we seen crowds marching the streets at Cambridge, waving their fists and shouting "Stay away William", which is the image the media apparently want us to conjure up in our minds.  A columnist at The Guardian, Melissa Berrill who is a Cambridge graduate, began the debate and the media took heed and were off and running.  Actually, Ms. Berrill may have embarrassed herself by not understanding what kind of course William will be taking at her alma mater.  It is the type of course regularly given by the university through their Continuing Education department, and there are only two requirements for entry: desire to attend, and the funds to pay for attendance. 

The Royal Family is still on it's Christmas holiday.  The media need to write about something, and anything will do, it seems.

Cindy
:goodpost:  It struck me as a typical "made-up controversy" useful during royal down times.  If this is a continuing ed type of course then the usual admissions standards don't apply.  Universities love this sort of thing as it brings in extra money.  All Universities do it - even my own employer, which is considerably smaller and less prestigious than Cambridge.  If the original columnist is for the Guardian she may very well have republican leanings (which is fine!) and want to knock one of the royals down a notch.  However as you say she doesn't seem to have understood the difference between types of courses.

Eri

It's sad at 31 Will is a father who is unemployed and depends on his 65 years old father ... there is a lot of PR spin to deflect attention from this FACT but unfortunately it isn't working !!!

Mar

Eri, the same could be said about all the memebers of the RF. hey, of all royal families in the world

they are royalty, seems very unfair, but this is what they do, they are not "unemployed"

Eri

^ Harry works , Zara works ... Eugine works all while building Charities ...

TLLK

Quote from: Mar on January 06, 2014, 06:49:44 PM
Eri, the same could be said about all the memebers of the RF. hey, of all royal families in the world

they are royalty, seems very unfair, but this is what they do, they are not "unemployed"
:goodpost: I have to agree. I can see why most European royal families are increasingly being represented by a small group of people. Prince Charles has hinted that he hopes to have a slimmed down monarchy when he ascends to the throne.  I hope that newest royal parents will be raising their "spares" for a life that involves a career. IMHO the late Prince Claus and Princess Beatrix were wise to have their sons Friso and Constantijn prepare for a life outside the royal house.

Limabeany

Prince Charles may want a slimmed down Monarchy but the man works like a horse. Sorry, but Kate has "worked" less than 50 hours this year and William approximately 60 in the entire year, as romantic as it may be to be pleased with that, they are still very visibly adults who in their 30s are barely dabbling at work (48 hours divided by 8 make 12 days, the year has 365, and the pregnancy excuse is simply absurd, in William's case, even if he did work the first half of the year, he could have done much more than 60 hours, especially after leaving) they should both be doing more. I think if William were perceived to be hard-working his reputation would be such that even non-royal fans and Cambridge students would be more honored to meet him and he could have Kate stay at home and do nothing the rest of her life if he so wishes, but both of them leading this very public life of leisure and wealth while "working" 50 hours a year is simply out of the regency period. As much as I love and adore Austen, in this millennium the expectations might be different for many.

PaulaB

Why are you discounting his search and resue work? William didn't leave the forces until after George was born so he has worked for a lot more than 60 hours.

Limabeany

Macrobug

Quote from: missbliss on January 06, 2014, 05:19:38 PM
Quote from: cinrit on January 06, 2014, 03:36:58 PM

Cindy
:goodpost:  It struck me as a typical "made-up controversy" useful during royal down times.  If this is a continuing ed type of course then the usual admissions standards don't apply.  Universities love this sort of thing as it brings in extra money.  All Universities do it - even my own employer, which is considerably smaller and less prestigious than Cambridge.  If the original columnist is for the Guardian she may very well have republican leanings (which is fine!) and want to knock one of the royals down a notch.  However as you say she doesn't seem to have understood the difference between types of courses.

I completely agree.  Christmas and August are the silly time for the press in regards to the royal family.  If there isn't any real news, let's make it up!  And if it has a whiff of controversy, even better!!   :banana:
GNU Terry Pratchett

Lothwen

From the article posted, the course is 20 hours over 10 weeks.  So what is he going to be doing the rest of the time?
You may think you're cool, but do you have a smiley named after you?
Harryite 12-005

Okay, fine.  Macrobug is now as cool as I am

cinrit

Studying, hopefully.  If rooms are being made available for him, it's apparent that the University expects that he'll be busy most of the day.  I don't think this is something he'll take lightly.  He's going to have to take over the Duchy at some point, sooner or later, and it will most likely happen pretty much overnight.  It will be a massive job to step into, so I doubt he'll be in class half a day and then just blow off the rest of the day.  I hope his head will be buried in books a large portion of the rest of the day. 

Cindy

Limabeany

Perhaps, it's just me, but I don't see him that dedicated. There will be no evidence of his performance or achievement in this bespoke course.

cinrit

I suppose the only acceptable evidence of his performance and/or achievement will be if he runs the Duchy into the ground when he takes it over.  Personally, I think he's dedicated and eager to learn.  (Opinion based on the fact that you aren't given the responsibility of saving peoples' lives for three years if you're just playing around with life's responsibilities, no matter who you are.)

Cindy