Former King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia News and Discussion

Started by TLLK, May 27, 2019, 07:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wannable

:ugh:  With privileges' comes responsibilities.  I wish all monarchies would pick along early rather than mollycoddling a tic tac tic tac time bomb, that have proved will go boom sooner or later.

PrincessOfPeace

PrincessOfPeace

King Juan Carlos former mistress claims 65 million he gave her was a generous gift and a recognition of how much I meant to him.

In a rare interview, Corinna Zu Sayn-Wittgenstein told the BBC how the monarch tried to win her back two years after giving her the money and went ballistic when she spurned him and demanded his millions back.

More: King Juan Carlos's ex mistress feared she'd 'end up like Diana' | Daily Mail Online

Curryong

I think this New Yorker journalist is egging the pudding a bit by linking Juan Carlos's scandals to the other European monarchies (though JC's activities somewhat resemble Prince Andrew's and the dead Pr Bernardt's of the Netherlands.)

At least in the immediate future only Spain looks rather rocky though I don't expect a revolution there. Sweden's monarchy as an institution has been losing favour with younger Swedes for years and I can't see Estelle becoming Queen of Sweden. That's for the future though and only Spain appears to have immediate troubles.

Juan Carlos?s Fall from Grace in Spain and the Precarious Future of the World?s Monarchies | The New Yorker

TLLK

The former King is considering a return to Spain for the holidays.

King Juan Carlos ?plans return to Spain? ? Royal Central

QuoteKing Juan Carlos I of Spain wants to return home for Christmas after four months of self imposed exile in the Middle East according to reports in several newspapers.

The former monarch left Spain in the first days of August after allegations of financial irregularity reached crisis point. He didn?t announce his departure until he had quit the country he ruled between 1975 and 2014.

Now, it is understood he has raised the possibility of coming back to Madrid for several days over the festive period. But reports in Spanish media indicate he has already said he won?t return if there is any risk it could cause another crisis.

Juan Carlos is said to be considering coming home for Christmas but only if his son, King Felipe VI, and the Spanish government agree. Neither has made any comment on the possibility of a return.

Curryong

What does 'crisis' mean to Juan Carlos, that a visit may well cause difficulties for his son at a time of pandemic and increased tensions, or 'crisis' in that he might be charged with financial corruption if he returns?   :lol:
Talk about tone-deaf!

I suppose the old bloke misses his kith and kin (though not his wife) in this festive season. It will be interesting to see what decision Felipe and the Spanish govt come to, actually.

TLLK

@Curryong - Well it would appear that JC is making an overture to the government by paying the back taxes he owes. Lord I feel so sorry for Felipe who will always have to contend with the misdeeds of his father, sister and brother-in-law. <_<

King Juan Carlos pays back tax bill ? Royal Central

QuoteSpain?s former monarch, Juan Carlos I, has settled a bill for back taxes as reports continue that he is planning a return to the country he ruled for almost forty years.

In a statement released on December 9th 2020, the king?s lawyers said he had paid 678,000 euros. The sum also covered interest and fines. They gave no details on why the back tax was owed. However, in recent days, leading Spanish paper, El Pais, has reported that Juan Carlos wanted to sort out alleged illegal credit card transactions with Spain?s tax service to avoid being charged in an investigation. It could lead to his return to Spain. His lawyers added that he ?remains, as always, at the Tax Service?s disposal? for any inquiries or proecedures.

Juan Carlos and his finances have been under scrutiny for several years and Spain?s Supreme Court has started investigations including one into his links to a high speed rail contract in Saudi Arabia. In March 2020, his son and successor, King Felipe VI, renounced any personal inheritance from Juan Carlos and cut his allowances.

Juan Carlos went into self imposed exile in August this year as allegations of financial impropriety continued to increase and pressure on Spain?s Royal Family intensified. It was later confirmed he had moved to the United Arab Emirates.

TLLK

New poll suggests that the public believe that King JC should be allowed to return to Spain. Due to his age and a recent photo showing what appears to be declining health, I could see the how public opinion would want to allow him to return. It will be interesting to see if the Casa Real and the government feel that it  would be appropriate. The King recently celebrated his 83 birthday.

New poll hints at support for King Juan Carlos to return to Spain ? Royal Central

QuoteA new survey for a major Spanish newspaper has shown support for King Juan Carlos to return from his self imposed exile.

The poll, for El Mundo, found 55% of people asked think the former monarch should come back to live in the country he ruled for almost forty years. It also found that 31% were opposed to him returning. El Mundo is a liberal conservative newspaper and a supporter of the monarchy in Spain.

Curryong

There's obviously still some residual affection for JC among the general population, as the man who helped change Spain into a constitutional democracy, following Franco. And yes, he is an old and very frail man.

The problem is, what if JC returned and settled down and more wrongdoing, more corruption was found and the legal authorities decided they had to act? Nobody knows that what is out in the open now is the end of JC's back door dealings over the last twenty odd years. One poll in a pro-monarchy newspaper can't be the lode stone on this issue, especially as, even that shows about one third of the readership who voted opposed to his return.

Amabel2

Are they really likely to prosecute a man of his age and state of health? His behavour has been very bad, but at his age, what are they going to do wiht him?

Curryong

Quote from: Amabel2 on January 09, 2021, 02:05:49 PM
Are they really likely to prosecute a man of his age and state of health? His behavour has been very bad, but at his age, what are they going to do wiht him?

Probably not, but the possibility is still there if more comes out in the next year or so about his financial corruption. Plus, these things are sometimes politically based as well. If the govt is struggling and the issue of JC surfaces again they might act. In most things if you break the law neither rank nor age nor illhealth can save you from prosecution. Nor should it.

Amabel2

I think it is extremely unlikely that an old man, formerly the king, is going to be prosecurted for anything less than some crime of violence.  What woudl they gain from putting a man of his years in prison? 

Curryong

I said in my last post that prosecution isn't probable. Myself, I don't care about JC. He's of very little interest to me. However, for argument's sake what did the legal authorities have to gain from prosecuting his daughter and his son in law? And what about justice not only being done but being seen to be done.

It may not appear to matter, but Spain is not exactly a stable monarchy, even now. There were endless troubles in the 19th and 20th centuries that saw the RF exiled, and in spite of Felipe's present popularity it could happen again.

I'd say that of any monarchy that stops, starts, stops, starts again and again. The Greek throne for example is a lost cause though it started very well with George I.

No monarchy is really safe when it is besmirched with corruption, and Cristina, her husband and JC were up to their eyeballs in it.

Curryong

Completing our trio of elderly monarchs, there seem to have been some rumours flying around Spain that Juan Carlos is failing, due to a private visit paid to him at Abu Dhabi by his daughter Elena and her daughter, which was unexpected. However, although photos of him over the past year have shown a very frail old man those rumours have been denied by him and by the Court in Spain. Frankly I think Sofia would have considered it her duty to fly over if there had been an emergency.

Considering rumours about the state of health of His Majesty King John Charles, sources of the House of S.M. the King point out that they have no basis".
https://www.semana.es/casas-reales/f...215-002314594/

?HOLA! he has contacted King Juan Carlos and said: "I am perfectly fine. I do two hours of gymnastics a day and I feel great."
https://www.hola.com/realeza/espana/...-declaraciones

TLLK

Quote?HOLA! he has contacted King Juan Carlos and said: "I am perfectly fine. I do two hours of gymnastics a day and I feel great."

Okay I am having a little bit of a giggle over the Spanish to English translation.

Curryong

Quote from: TLLK on February 15, 2021, 08:11:26 PM
Okay I am having a little bit of a giggle over the Spanish to English translation.

Yes, I suspect whoever translated that did not have much of an acquaintance with the English language. But you get the drift, so it's OK! Having seen some photos of JC over recent months I'm having more trouble with the statement that he does two hours of gymnastics a day. He looks as if getting onto a beach lounge including lifting his legs up would be a stiff enough challenge.

TLLK

I suspect that even this Olympic athlete no longer does two hours of gymnastics a day.

Nadia Comaneci's Perfect Ten In Montreal 1976 | The Olympics On the Record - YouTube

Well I do hope that JC is in as good as health as can be expected.

TLLK

JC pays the Spanish tax authorities 4 million Euro.

King Juan Carlos pays 4 million euro to Spain?s tax authorities as investigations into his financial affairs continue ? Royal Central

QuoteKing Juan Carlos of Spain has paid over 4 million euro to his country?s tax authorities in another attempt to regularize his financial situation.

The money was handed over to Spain?s Tax Agency after Juan Carlos received undeclared income over a number of years. This latest payment covers around 8 million euro of payments in kind and relates to flights taken in private jets which were funded by the Zagatka foundation which is owned by his distant relation, Alvaro de Orleans. The flights took place until 2018 and are regarded by authorities as a payment in kind. Therefore, income tax is due on them.

The move comes several months after Juan Carlos made a similar payment, totalling 678, 393 euros, to the Tax Agency to cover hidden funds paid to him by a Mexican businessman, Allen Sangines-Krause. Under Spanish law, if a taxpayer settles their debts before the authorities notify them of the start of an official investigation then they can avoid accusation of financial offences.

Juan Carlos, who ruled Spain from 1975 until his abdication in 2014, is currently living in Abu Dhabi after deciding to go into self imposed exile in August 2020 as political controversy around his financial affairs escalated.

TLLK

A new series that will cover the life and reign of Spain's King Juan Carlos is planned. It's already being referred to as Spain's version of The Crown.

This should be a fascinating series IMO as JC was truly one of Spain's high profile figures throughout the mid to late 20th century until his abdication.

Llega la ?The Crown? espa?ola: Javier Olivares prepara una serie biogr?fica en torno al rey Juan Carlos I | Televisi?n | EL PA?S

Curryong

Crikey! It sounds an exciting project but if The Crown was criticised for its going over of old controversies and scandals it will be interesting to see what this one digs up. Are they going through the Franco years I wonder, and the passing over of JC?s father in favour of the son, even in flashback? And how are they going to tackle JC and Sofia?s marital relationship, as well as the financial scandals? Surely the accession of Felipe will have to be covered? I wonder if they will eventually sell it to other countries in Europe as well as Central and South America. 

wannable

Amazon Prime has several series of the Spanish Monarchy, I think they were very well done. Watched it in original audio Spanish. 

This one is modern times, so hopefully they do a good job.

PrincessOfPeace

The former lover of ex-King Juan Carlos of Spain is suing him in the High Court in London, accusing the former monarch and the Spanish secret service of putting her under illegal surveillance in the UK.

Ex-lover sues Spain?s former king Juan Carlos over ?unlawful surveillance?

Blue Clover