General Chat for the late QEII and the late DoE

Started by marine2109, June 03, 2013, 08:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightowl

Amabel2

Quote from: Nightowl on January 20, 2023, 06:04:38 AM
^ Great question, I also wonder why now!

its quite obvious.  Elizabeth was the queens name, and also the queen mothers..  By and large, the RF has used different names for the members of the family who are known to the public, rather than using the same names.  All the children and grandchildren have used Elizabeth as a secondary name for one of their daughters, so that is how they honour the queen.  Williams daughter, is Charlotte Eliz Diana.  Beatrice's daughter is Siena Elizabeth, Andrew gave Bea the names Beatrice Elizabeth Mary, Zara's daughter is Lena Elizabeth Tindall, Ed's daughter is Louise Elizabeth Alice Mary,  Peter Phillips daughter is Isla Elizabeth, and the cousins usually have an Elizabeth as a second name for one of their children.  Lady Davina Windsor is an Elizabeth, Fred Windsors daughter Maud has Elizabeth in her names, so has Lady Heleln Windsors daughter though Lady H is Helen Marina Lucy....

LouisFerdinand

Queen Victoria of England had several granddaughters and great-granddaughters who had the first name of Victoria.

Amabel2

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on January 20, 2023, 08:59:50 PM
Queen Victoria of England had several granddaughters and great-granddaughters who had the first name of Victoria.
yes we know this.  She wanted all of her descendants and Alberts to have the names ALbert or Victoria as part of their name.

Nightowl

Quote from: Amabel2 on January 20, 2023, 08:10:17 AM
its quite obvious.  Elizabeth was the queens name, and also the queen mothers..  By and large, the RF has used different names for the members of the family who are known to the public, rather than using the same names.  All the children and grandchildren have used Elizabeth as a secondary name for one of their daughters, so that is how they honour the queen.  Williams daughter, is Charlotte Eliz Diana.  Beatrice's daughter is Siena Elizabeth, Andrew gave Bea the names Beatrice Elizabeth Mary, Zara's daughter is Lena Elizabeth Tindall, Ed's daughter is Louise Elizabeth Alice Mary,  Peter Phillips daughter is Isla Elizabeth, and the cousins usually have an Elizabeth as a second name for one of their children.  Lady Davina Windsor is an Elizabeth, Fred Windsors daughter Maud has Elizabeth in her names, so has Lady Heleln Windsors daughter though Lady H is Helen Marina Lucy....

Thank You Amabel2, that is very very interesting.  I knew some of the cousins had Elizabeth in their names yet not all of them.  So someday if George has a daughter first then she will be named Elizabeth as she will be a Queen after George.....that would be difficult to live up to I would think. Wow, getting into the far away future here, time to stay in the present I think or not.  Now I wonder who named me as Elizabeth is my second name and my first name is just weird......even the gov can't get it right...lol

Amabel2

we have no idea what Georges daughter will be called, if he has a daughter  - I think Eliz will be one of her names but its unlikely taht she will be named Eliz as a first name.  They'll problaby go for someting different for a new era and a new queen.

Nightowl

Oh, okay, I was under the impression that the name Elizabeth was saved for queens only, say *if* a first born was a daughter of George's then would she be given the name of Elizabeth.  I personally like the name as it is an old ancient name for a woman,not modern or contemporary like Apple.   

Amabel2

Quote from: Nightowl on January 22, 2023, 09:25:47 PM
Oh, okay, I was under the impression that the name Elizabeth was saved for queens only, say *if* a first born was a daughter of George's then would she be given the name of Elizabeth.  I personally like the name as it is an old ancient name for a woman,not modern or contemporary like Apple.
we don't know what George's daughter, assuming he has one, will be called. It might be that they'd like an Elizabeth III, but equally in today's world, people tend to try and give a new name to a child, rather than call him or her after his parents or grandparents.  There are other royal names that a future daughter could have...
There has'nt been a Victoria now for a long time, or they cuold use Anne.

LouisFerdinand

I was never under the impression that certain royal names had to reserved or saved for certain royal children.

Curryong

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on January 24, 2023, 12:05:08 AM

I was never under the impression that certain royal names had to reserved or saved for certain royal children.

Nor was I. If you look at the names of George III?s many daughters for example they run the gamut from names popular in the House of Hanover to the occasional British royal name borne by predecessors.

TLLK

Interesting as the two Queen Regeants named Elizabeth were named after Queen Consorts. Elizabeth I was named for her paternal grandmother- Elizabeth of York married to Henry VII.  Elizabeth II was named after her mother who was the Duchess of York.

Nightowl

^Thanks for the history lesson TLLK, that is interesting to know.  Now I will research more on Elizabeth of York as I have a book on her somewhere here.  The Duchess of York, I always viewed her as  a formidable woman, strong in wanting her own way in life. 

TLLK

You're welcome @Nightowl. Honestly I hadn't really linked the two facts until I read the other posts. Also Queen Elizabeth I's maternal great-grandmother was also an Elizabeth known to history as Queen Elizabeth Woodville.  She was the wife of Edward IV and their eldest child was Elizabeth of York.

Amabel2

I think it was just that Elizabeth was such a common name, it was in medieval times and it still is very common today.  Hence the many abbreviations of the name, Lizzy, Liza, Betty, Bess, Libby etc etc.

wannable

A man who arrived at Windsor Castle armed with a crossbow and told a protection officer "I am here to kill the Queen" has pleaded guilty to a charge under the Treason Act.

Jaswant Singh Chail, from Hampshire, was arrested on Christmas Day 2021, when the late monarch was living at Windsor due to the Covid pandemic.

At the Old Bailey earlier, Chail, 21, pleaded guilty to three charges.

He is the first person in the UK to be convicted of treason since 1981.

Chail, from North Baddesley, near Southampton, also admitted making threats to kill and possessing the loaded weapon in the castle. He is due to be sentenced at the same court on 31 March.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-berkshire-64500638?at_campaign_type=owned&at_medium=social&at_link_id=AB3D1A9E-A3B2-11ED-B628-B24C2152A482&at_ptr_name=twitter&at_campaign=Social_Flow&at_bbc_team=editorial&at_format=link&at_link_type=web_link&at_link_origin=BBCBreaking

TLLK

Thank you for the update @wannable. I'd been curious about his mental state and subsequent trial. While he had been hospitalized, it appears that he did improve his mental state with treatment and was judged fit for trial. He appeared via video link from the hospital.

wannable

Majesty/Joe Little
@MajestyMagazine
To  @WallaceMuseum for a preview of 'The Queen and her Corgis', which opens tomorrow: The Queen and her Corgis  - The Wallace Collection. Charming. The canine theme continues on 29 March with the opening of 'Portraits of Dogs: From Gainsborough to Hockney'. #WallaceWoofs

Curryong

A strange life: Profile of Prince Philip | The Independent | The Independent

A 1992 long but extremely interesting profile of the life of Prince Philip, starting with his emotionally stunted childhood and adolescence. Really, really good in explaining a lot about Philip as husband, father and royal.

Philip and early years of royal life.

In the early years of the Queen's reign, Philip was the only Royal male in her immediate family, and he said what he pleased. He was often brusque. 'Let's get the hell out of here,' he would say. 'This is a bloody waste of time.' He chafed at the constrained, ambiguous business of being Consort. The problems came to a head soon after the Queen's accession, when Philip left on a four-month tour of the Commonwealth, accompanied by Michael Parker.

'I think Philip just got bored with the whole Royal business,' says one of the Queen's former private secretaries. 'All those stuffy engagements, all that handshaking. It wasn't his thing at all. He just got fed up with it.' At the end of the tour, Parker resigned when his wife sued him for divorce. His departure sparked off a wave of rumours about trouble in the Royal marriage.

Philip and the media

Either way, the rumours have done little to help his relationship with media folk, whom he once compared with the apes of Gibraltar. He cannot overcome his distaste, even when it would suit him. One British reporter, who doesn't want to be named, recalls approaching Prince Philip as he took a walk after a church service at Sandringham one freezing January morning. The Royal yacht Britannia had just been used as a temporary refugee ship during an evacuation of Aden. 'The story showed the Navy in a really good light,' the reporter says. 'I expected him to make some sort of positive comment. Nothing more.' Instead, the reporter says, 'he just turned and snapped, '*** off'.' Then he pressed his electronic buzzer. The police came running.

I ask Prince Philip if he still feels misunderstood. He had been quoted as saying so in Look in 1964. It sets him off again. 'Come off it. You cannot take quotations in newspapers seriously.' Brushing an imaginary speck from his suit, he adds: 'It so happens that it is perfectly legal to put anything in a newspaper in quotation marks, and there is nothing you can do about it. You have no copyright on what other people say you said.

'There's no point in talking about it.'

The whole family has been shocked at the tabloids' lese majeste. And one of the reasons advanced for the Queen's offer to take so many of her relatives off the Civil List is that she hopes they will now be able to insist on more respect for their privacy. If so, it may not come in time for the next media bombshell: the next book by Kitty Kelley, who put the cat among the Reagan White House pigeons, is about the House of Windsor.

Curryong

Quote from: Amabel2 on April 04, 2023, 11:15:15 AM
so they dont want awards, but they recently accepted an award from some Kennedy organsation for anti racisms and then said that they had never accused the RF of racism.  I hope they gave the award back

NEW YORK, Oct. 11, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights today announced that Prince Harry and Meghan, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, have been named this year's Ripple of Hope Award laureates in recognition of their work on racial justice, mental health, and other social impact initiatives through their Archewell Foundation.

That?s what the Sussexes were given their award for. Nothing whatsoever in the statement above to do with what they said or didn?t say about the Royal Family.

And if we ARE talking racist language perhaps a scroll through what Prince Philip said throughout the years, and what Charles said to a black author in Manchester, might be instructive.

Prince Philip Had a Long History of Racist and Problematic Language

Prince Charles Told A British Journalist She Didn?t Look Like She Was From Manchester | Grazia

Not to mention the late Queen?s Lady in Waiting a few months back!

Amabel2

what has Philip to do with anyting?  He has never claimed an award for anti racism,

Curryong

Quote from: Amabel2 on April 04, 2023, 11:41:35 AM
what has Philip to do with anyting?  He has never claimed an award for anti racism,

No and he never worked on changing his racist views either.

Amabel2

Again what has that to do wiht anything?  Philip was 100 years old almost when he died. He was born into a conservative royal family in 1921.  Of course he comes across as racist to younger people.  BUt Harry was born 60 years later and made racist remarks to his army friends, and claimed an award for anti racism, then said that he had not accused his famly of being raicist.  So if he iddn't accuse them of being racist, how can he claim an award for fighting their racism?

Curryong

Quote from: Amabel2 on April 04, 2023, 12:09:47 PM
Again what has that to do wiht anything?  Philip was 100 years old almost when he died. He was born into a conservative royal family in 1921.  Of course he comes across as racist to younger people.  BUt Harry was born 60 years later and made racist remarks to his army friends, and claimed an award for anti racism, then said that he had not accused his famly of being raicist.  So if he iddn't accuse them of being racist, how can he claim an award for fighting their racism?

Philip wasn?t 100 years old when he shared those racist sentiments on tours with the Queen and on his own. He began these so-called ?amusing? comments about other races when he was in his 40s, if not earlier. He was excused it by the Press for years. And the QM also made several racist remarks in her time. Younger members of the royal family (children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren) grew up hearing those views.)

Harry made one racist comment to his Pakistani army friend, apologised for it and was disciplined for it at the time. That?s hardly the same thing as PP. Harry wasn?t given the Ripple of Hope Award for fighting racism in the BRF, I copied what the organisers of the RK Human Rights award said about giving the Ripple of Hope to the Sussexes in a former post. Didn?t you read it? It didn?t mention the RF in that statement in any way.

Here it is again, in case you?ve forgotten it,

NEW YORK, Oct. 11, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights today announced that Prince Harry and Meghan, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, have been named this year's Ripple of Hope Award laureates in recognition of their work on racial justice, mental health, and other social impact initiatives through their Archewell Foundation.

Amabel2

please dotn reply to me any more - I've had it