The Ancestors of the Duchess of Cambridge

Started by fawbert, November 18, 2010, 12:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wannable

Thank you @PrincessOfPeace

You do find great history of Kate's family genealogy.  I've read some about the Lupton's too.  So keep it coming.

PrincessOfPeace

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on September 05, 2020, 03:30:13 PM
The Duchess of Cambridges great-great-great-great grandfather Thomas Michael Greenhow MD MRCS FRCS (5 July 1792 - 25 October 1881) was an English surgeon and epidemiologist and a founding fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England

Pic: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9d/Dr_Thomas_Michael_Greenhow%2C_epidemiologist_and_surgeon_%281792-_1881%29.jpg

Dr Greenhow deserves a more in-depth post. 

Dr Thomas Michael Greenhow was famous for his lectures and publications into the causes of the worldwide disease, known as the Victorian Plague.

Based in Tynemouth near Newcastle, Dr Greenhow, his nephew, Dr EH Greenhow and Dr John Snow were founding members of the Royal Society of Medicines Epidemiological Society in the 1850s, where emergency talks were held regarding the cholera pandemic.

Dr Snow was Dr Greenhows former surgery apprentice and Queen Victorias personal anaesthetist, famously giving the monarch chloroform during the birth of her eighth child.

Dr Greenhows dedicated research saw the London cholera epidemic end in 1854, after water contamination was identified as a major cause. However, the cholera pandemic continued throughout much of the world and today its cause still remains unclear.

Greenhow was a medical graduate of the University of Edinburgh and became M.R.C.S. (London) in 1814, having been a surgery student at Londons Guys and St Thomas Hospital.

He was a pioneer in the establishment of the University of Durham and in 1855 was a lecturer at the Newcastle-Upon-Tynes medical college, in connection with Durham University. He and Sir John Fife founded what would become the Newcastle University Medical School. The two men also founded Newcastles Eye Infirmary.

Dr Greenhows first child and only daughter, Frances (See Frances Elizabeth Lupton in a previous post), was born in 1821. She married into the Lupton family of Leeds, wealthy wool manufacturers and Unitarians, a branch of English Dissenters. She worked to open up educational opportunities for women, and, more prominently, their access to universities.

His first son and second child, Edward Meadows Greenhow, (1822 - 1840) died at the age of 18.

Greenhows second son, Henry Martineau Greenhow (1829 - 1912), followed his father into medicine. He studied at University College, London, and by 1854 was a Member of the Royal College of Surgeons of England.He joined the Indian Medical Service spending his entire career in British India, and rising to surgeon major.

Greenhows third and youngest son, Judge William Thomas Greenhow (1831 - 1921) received his Bachelor of Laws at Somerset House at Kings College, London in 1853

Thomas Michael Greenhow died a very wealthy man in 1881 at Potternewton Hall estate, near Leeds, where his greatgranddaughter, Olive Middleton, was born.

PrincessOfPeace

Catherines great-grandfather, Richard Noel Middleton, was educated at Clifton College and Leeds University. During WWI he served as an officer on the Western Front.

In 1919, Middleton retired as a solicitor from the legal practice in Leeds he shared with partner Sir William Henry Clarke who was a City of Leeds councillor alongside Francis Lupton. In 1921, Richard Noel Middleton became a director of William Lupton & Co.

Richard Middleton was active both politically and socially, he was one of the founders of the Yorkshire Symphony Orchestra

A neighbour of Richard Middleton said of the family: They all went to boarding school, and clearly the family was well off. They were never showy, but they were what you might describe as refined.

wannable

James Mathew and Pippa are purchasing the 72 acre Bucklebury Farm Park,  almost next door to Middleton manor.

Source the town folks whom seem to be happy with the alleged deal.

Bucklebury Park | A great value day out in Berkshire.  Granny Carole and Prince George have gone to this park several times.  It's a working farm too. Apparently James Mathew want's to keep it as a business deal, although the Bucklebury towns people believe he will construct a cottage for country living.  72 Acres is a lot.

PrincessOfPeace

During his time at Clifton College, Michael Middleton was a praepostor, the title for a college prefect. Mr Middleton represented Clifton at rugby in the 1st XV and also gained his tennis colours.

Following Clifton, Michael Middleton attended the University of Surrey who conferred the degree of B.Sc (Hons) on him in 1973.

Macrobug67

A thread for chat and articles regarding other members of Kates family other than her parents and siblings. 

wannable

Not sure why Carole and Mike and the extended family threads are locked, so I'll post Uncle Gary's (and Katie Nicholl) interview with 60 Minutes Australia here, as he is the godfather of James Middleton.

The interview was posted today by 60 Minutes Australia, so the interview is very recent.

The rise of Kate Middleton: why she is desperately needed by the Royal family | 60 Minutes Australia - YouTube

wannable

A note from my above posting, I can see the recent creation of Carole/Mike thread and the Extended family thread. It looks to me like a keyboard typo mistake after creating it by clicking the lock mode. 

Anyway, Uncle Gary's interview has been reproduced by the international media (several articles in the world wide web despite time difference with Australia).  I won't post them here, until a mod or admin fixes the (I think unintended) locked 2 threads.  Unintended means to me that after creating 2 pinned threads (hard work) to have it then locked?! Doesn't make sense.

Macrobug67

No idea why it was locked.  Likely a combo of me being very rusty at doing this and doing it late at night.  :teehee: Sorry about that.  Threads unlocked and posts moved.  And thank you for letting us know.

PrincessOfPeace

Found this on Twitter. From a garden party July 1927.

Curryong

This doesn?t look like a garden party to me, more like some outdoor event in the 1920s for which the Luptons were involved in their part of Yorkshire. Royals don?t usually attend garden parties holding enormous bouquets.

Nor does the background of the photo look like a typical garden party, unless it?s an exit view and the Princess is just departing. The Princess Royal, who resided at Harewood House conducted a lot of charitable work in the county and indeed in the whole north of England appeared at many social events connected with it.

And why no thread on Kate?s maternal line? The Goldsmiths and the families they married into are just as important as the Luptons and the Middletons. 

Curryong

In the 1830s, at Baker Hill, Newcastle, Jane Harrison, a miner?s wife and ancestor to Kate, was married to James Harrison and had six children under sixteen by 1839. James was 41, getting too old for the work but struggled on. He was employed (under a bond of two shillings and sixpence) at the nearby colliery owned by Sir Charles Lawson. He earned a pittance.

James was an underground maintenance worker, repairing the passageways underground through which horses and donkeys pulled wagons and sleds. Henry?s son Tom, as was the custom, followed him down the mine before he was in his teens, working an 18 hour day in darkness and isolation, operating the mine traps or doors which helped with ventilation. Later he drove the horses that the laden sleds from the crane to the shaft of the pit. John and James jnr followed older brother Tom into the mine as well.

The Harrison family lived in a tiny one room cottage with an open fire and a ladder to the loft where the children slept. They drew water (probably contaminated) from the street pump and cooked what food they could get over an open fire. Sometimes family members would go into the countryside to pick vegetables or fruit to supplement their sparse diet. New clothes were extremely rare, instead any rags were mended again and again.

Curryong

In fact Hugh Lupton is seen in mayoral regalia (as Mayor of Leeds) in this photo which seems to come from 1927 when Mary Princess Royal was probably opening something in Leeds.

No Cookies | The Advertiser

?Another film from 1927 depicts Hugh Lupton and his wife Isabella greeting Princess Mary, sister to the King, George VI?. (From the above article.)

PrincessOfPeace

I would say it has nothing to do with being less important than maybe less interesting to the casual observer.

On Kate's paternal side there are videos and pictures. People are more interested seeing a pic of Peter Middleton standing next to the Duke of Edinburgh or her great-grandmother walking with Princess Mary.

Anyone who has read the DM in the last 20 years knows Carole's ancestors were coal miners but after that there's not much to say.

Curryong

Yes, but that means a whole side of Kate?s ancestry is to be ignored then?

And there are several photos of Kate?s maternal grandmother Dorothy and her husband Ron, as well as pics of Carole when young and where she grew up. And a few photos of Dorothy?s parents. All working class. Plus description of urban poverty, such as here, where a reporter went searching for Ron Carole and Dorothy?s early surroundings.

The Middletons ? finding common ground with the royal family | Monarchy | The Guardian

TLLK

The information about Mr. Harrison very accurately describes a life that so many in Great Britain and Europe  would have been living for  centuries . I am very  blessed to have been born in the 20th century.

PrincessOfPeace

Yes but as I said it's interest level? A pic of Peter Middleton with Prince Philip is probably more interesting to the casual observer than Carole's mother pushing a pram.

Same with Meghan's family. If a picture surfaced of her great-grandmother standing with royalty it would be of interest to people.

Curryong

Why? Hundreds of people who are in local politics or business meet royalty and photos are taken of the occasion for the local newspaper. That doesn?t mean they regularly hobnob with members of the Royal Family. How many photos were taken of Peter Middleton with Prince Philip? One, two?

And plenty of photos here of Goldsmith/Harrison forebears.

Kate Middleton's great-grandmother Elizabeth also inspired Princess Charlotte's name | Daily Mail Online

wannable

It is the height of the Roaring Twenties and, elegant in silver-grey crepe-de-chine and pearls, all eyes are on Princess Mary and the large bouquet of carnations she carries.

Taken almost a century ago, this newly unearthed picture shows the Queen?s aunt as guest of honour at a garden party at Headingley Cricket Ground in Leeds.

What few will have realised, however, is that walking behind Princess Mary in the procession of dignitaries are no fewer than three ancestors of a future Queen ? Kate Middleton.

The Duchess of Cambridge?s great-grandmother Olive Middleton, then aged 46, can be spotted at the back of the group in a flapper dress and fur stole.

Also present are Hugh and Isabella Lupton, Kate?s great-great-great-uncle and aunt, pictured wearing the gold chains of office of the Lord and Lady Mayoress of Leeds.

A fourth member of the family, Olive?s sister Anne Lupton, was presented to the distinguished visitors under a canopy facing the members? stand at the cricket ground, according to a report in the Yorkshire Post of July 27, 1927.

There is much more historical information that may be found of Kate's ancestors in the Yorkshire Post archives. Being Wool Barons at that period of time according to economists today was huge.  Akin to when Oil was discovered to Oil Barons.

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on June 13, 2021, 12:52:39 PM
There is much more historical information that may be found of Kate's ancestors in the Yorkshire Post archives. Being Wool Barons at that period of time according to economists today was huge.  Akin to when Oil was discovered to Oil Barons.

Cotton took over many mills in the 19th century.

And again, so Kate?s mining and carpenter and cook and lorry driver and painter and decorator ancestors and forebears on her mother?s side are just to be ignored? Sounds snobbish to me!

PrincessOfPeace

Quote from: Curryong on June 13, 2021, 12:49:30 PM
Why? Hundreds of people who are in local politics or business meet royalty and photos are taken of the occasion for the local newspaper. That doesn?t mean they regularly hobnob with members of the Royal Family. How many photos were taken of Peter Middleton with Prince Philip? One, two?

Kate Middleton's great-grandmother Elizabeth also inspired Princess Charlotte's name | Daily Mail Online

I think you know what I'm getting at. You created a thread for Kate's maternal ancestors so it's not being ignored and given your apparent interest you'll probably post there quite often. It's a win-win for everyone.

wannable

Quote from: Curryong on June 13, 2021, 12:49:30 PM

Kate's ancestors weren't only a meet and great according to the Yorkshire Post, they had deeper ties, attending invitations to society balls, it goes way back to King George V...the men and women of her family were ''educated'', something of that era where getting a higher up education was not a usual thing to do.  So many of the  patronage ties Royalty had with Kate's ancestors were not only because they were rich but educated people of society.

Curryong

George V eh! That long ago!
The Luptons were of the northern merchant class, and wealthy. Of course members of these families attended Society balls and in some cases public schools However the Aristocracy and country gentry always knew they were different to them.

And very very few of the merchant class  were close friends of members of the royal family, the Peels being an exception due to PM Robert and his friendship with Prince Albert, and the Gladstones of Liverpool later in the century, with Bertie Prince of Wales.

Curryong

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on June 13, 2021, 01:00:48 PM
I think you know what I'm getting at. You created a thread for Kate's maternal ancestors so it's not being ignored and given your apparent interest you'll probably post there quite often. It's a win-win for everyone.

I probably will, having noted your exclusive interest seemingly in only the wealthier merchant ancestry of Kate?s paternal side. Just evening it up!