Margaret Tudor: Scotland's Forgotten Queen

Started by cinrit, November 29, 2013, 11:38:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

QuoteMargaret Tudor, sister of Henry VIII and aunt of Elizabeth I, was the first Tudor woman to rule a kingdom and caused scandal with her divorce, but her legacy was the eventual union of England and Scotland.

In 1502 the kings of England and Scotland signed a Treaty of Perpetual Peace. A marriage treaty was signed on the same day.  James IV of Scotland would marry Margaret, the daughter of Henry VII, joining the ruling families of Scotland and England - the Stewarts and the Tudors.

Henry VII wanted to consolidate Tudor legitimacy to the English throne by marrying into one of the long established European royal families, the Stewarts.

He knew that the marriage could lead to a Scottish king in England, but reckoned that England would be the dominant partner in these circumstances.

More: BBC History - Margaret Tudor: Scotland's forgotten queen

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Limabeany

Thank you, Cindy!  :thanks: Loved it! :clap:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

cinrit

You're welcome.  I love the Tudors.  Well, maybe not "love" ... :hehe: ... but definitely my favorite dynasty.  Interesting people, they were.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

sandy

There are non-fiction and  historical fiction about her. Jean Plaidy's historical novel is recommended

Limabeany

Quote from: cinrit on November 29, 2013, 08:22:49 PM
You're welcome.  I love the Tudors.  Well, maybe not "love" ... :hehe: ... but definitely my favorite dynasty.  Interesting people, they were.

Cindy
I think love is appropriate in a sense. I love reading about them, something that brings one joy is certainly warming enough to come close...  :hug:

Double post auto-merged: November 29, 2013, 09:31:37 PM

Quote from: sandy on November 29, 2013, 09:25:24 PM
There are non-fiction and  historical fiction about her. Jean Plaidy's historical novel is recommended
Thanks, Sandy.  :thumbsup:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

LouisFerdinand