Prince & Princess Michael of Kent news and general chat

Started by marine2109, October 05, 2009, 05:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amabel

I don't think most books apart form humourous ones or children's books have illustrations nowadays.  Pss Michael writes royal biographies and has been slated for not being much of a writer but getting published because she is a princess... I read one years ago, can't remember it wlell so it probably wasn't great. I think she was also accused of plagiarism..

LouisFerdinand

Prince Michael's grandfather King George V was a first cousin of Tsar Nicholas II. He was named Michael after Grand Duke Michael Alexandrovich, Nicholas' brother. His maternal grandmother was Grand Duchess Elena Vladimirovna of Russia.

Princess Cassandra

His mustache and beard are so like George V and Nicholas II. The POW when he had a mustache and beard in the Navy also looked like them. I think it's great the Prince Michael has taken such an interest in his Russian ancestry, and the Russians know this and involved him in the burials of the Tsar and his family members. I think he also went to Marie Feodorovna's repatriation of remains so she could be with her husband. He stays pretty quiet and we don't know that much about him, but he is very interesting and knows a lot about his family background.

PrincessOfPeace

Music has always been one of her greatest loves, and now HELLO can exclusively reveal that this week Lady Gabriella Windsor is making her debut as a singer-songwriter, while raising awareness for the musical non-profit Playing for Change Foundation.

Royal first! The Queen's family member Lady Gabriella Windsor releases first singles | HELLO!

LouisFerdinand

Tsar Nicholas II was a first cousin of three of Prince Michael's grandparents: King George V of Great Britain, Prince Nicholas of Greece, and Grand Duchess Elena Vladimirovna of Russia.

Princess Cassandra

It's also interesting to note that when Prince Charles was in the Navy he grew a beard and mustache which looked like George V's and made him look like his great grandfather. 

Curryong

Prince Michael resembling his grandfather somewhat but I don't think Charles looked like George V when he briefly had a beard. Charles inherited Prince Philip's nose and had a different shaped face to his great grandfather. The two who sharply resembled each other when both were bearded were Harry and the young Philip.

PrincessOfPeace

Princess Michael of Kent has been diagnosed with Covid and is self-isolating at her home at Kensington Palace.

More: Princess Michael of Kent diagnosed with Covid & suffering from 'severe fatigue'

TLLK

Sorry to hear that Princess Michael is the latest COVID victim.

Curryong

Yes, both she and Prince Michael (bit odd that he hasn't got it as well) are in that vulnerable over seventy age group. However, like Charles, she will receive the very best of care, and might have just mild symptoms apart from feeling tired.

Curryong

And now I'd like to move on to Prince Michael of Kent's Honorary military appointments.

In spite of Pr Michael being described by Richard Palmet as 'loyal and discreet', in contrast to Harry of course, Pr Michael has, like Andrew had certain embarrassing disclosures of transactions over the years, via offshore companies and 'gifts' of money from a certain Russian oligarch of over 320,000 pounds, from 'a friend' of course.

Pr Michael has 'commercial business interests'  all over the world. Getting more like Andrew every day! Not to mention the controversy years ago about his and Princess Pushy's rent free KP apartment which they were dragged, screaming and scratching, to pay a decent rent for, only after complaints in Parliament about the situation.

Still has the Honorary military appointments, in the Queen's gift..

Honorary military appointments   Edit
Canada
  Colonel-in-Chief, The Essex and Kent Scottish (14 November 2001 ? present)[45]
United Kingdom
  Honorary Commodore, Royal Naval Reserve (1 April 1994 ? 2004)[46]
  Honorary Rear Admiral, Royal Naval Reserve (2004?2015)[47]
  Honorary Vice Admiral, Royal Naval Reserve (9 March 2015 ? present)[48]
  Honorary Auxiliary Commodore, Royal Naval Auxiliary Service (1990)[49]
  Commodore-in-Chief, Maritime Reserves (2006?present)
  Honorary Colonel, British Army (10 November 2010 ? present)
  Senior Colonel, The King's Royal Hussars[50]
  Regimental Colonel, Honourable Artillery Company (2009?2012)[10]
  Royal Honorary Colonel, Honourable Artillery Company (31 January 2012 ? present).[10] (member since 1981)
  Honorary Air Commodore of RAF Benson (27 June 2002 ? 2012)[51]

wannable

They're too English to live somewhere else and be independent from the BRF.

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on February 20, 2021, 11:18:47 AM
They're too English to live somewhere else and be independent from the BRF.

Who are, the Kents? Marie Christine was originally Australian and lived in France during her first marriage. Michael is at home in Russia and travels widely in Europe. If you'd said Andrew I would have agreed but if the Kents had to live in Europe I don't think they'd mind.

Amabel2

Actually Marie C is of Austrian Czech and German origin, as I understand it.  I think she was born in Europe but her mother went to Australia after the war and she was brought up there.  And Michael is half Greek so I dont know how either of them are "too English"....

Curryong

Yes, we've heard a lot about MC's noble blood and background over the years, mainly from herself. She was born at the end of the war in the Sudetenland, but of course it was very much disputed territory and ended up in Czech hands once more. I don't think MC had too much to do with her father, (parents divorced when she was very young) and she seems to have trotted off from Australia pretty sharpish after her schooling was over, not aristo enough, probably! She met one or the other of her husbands at a boar hunt in Germany, so she seems to have got in with the European in-crowd quickly

wannable

They haven't left England.  Comparing/contrasting with the Sussex's unique situation.  Perhaps with William and Kate's children in lets say 20 to 25 years from today.

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: Amabel2 on February 20, 2021, 01:03:16 PM
Actually Marie C is of Austrian Czech and German origin, as I understand it.  I think she was born in Europe but her mother went to Australia after the war and she was brought up there.  And Michael is half Greek so I dont know how either of them are "too English"....
They do seem to be very cosmopolitan, but I agree with Wannable that they are too comfortable where they are to want to leave. They are not senior royals and often fly under the radar.  I wouldn't compare them to the Sussex's. 

PrincessOfPeace

Intriguing story in Sunday Times. Undercover reporters allege Queens cousin Prince Michael of Kent is selling his access to Vladimir Putin. Interesting, three other royals turned down overtures from the undercover team and one did not reply.

Video Icon

TLLK

Very interesting.

Prince Michael of Kent accused of misusing his royal status to seek favours from Russian President Putin ? Royal Central

QuotePrince Michael of Kent has been accused of misusing his royal status to seek favours from Russian President Vladimir Putin.

In a joint investigation by The Sunday Times and Channel 4?s Dispatches, Prince Michael was covertly filmed at a business meeting telling prospective clients he could be hired to make business representations to the leaders of Russia.

Prince Michael, cousin to The Queen, was recorded at the virtual meeting by two undercover journalists who were posing as prospective clients.

The Prince?s close friend and business partner, the Marquess of Reading, was also present and told the journalists that His Royal Highness could take advantage of his role as ?Her Majesty?s unofficial ambassador to Russia? to gain access to the Kremlin.

Curryong

I think that members of the Royal family have to be very careful of being persuaded by friends in the financial world into earning money in this fashion. As Prince Michael has now found out it?s not only unethical but leads to Press stings. And we know all about Andrew?s doings.

Whether this latest incident is part of a string of access deals in previous years  or not (and I suspect ....) I do think that it?s one more example of the British Royal Family needing to be slimmed down to just the monarch, his heir and their respective wives (who get vast wealth from the Duchies of Lancaster and Cornwall) and everybody else except of course for the eldest child of the heir being defined as not being part of the Royal House. As in Europe.

At the moment there is blurring around the edges, some royals being paid allowances to work for the Firm, some in the private commercial world (and sometimes needing money, of which promising access to various individuals is only too easy) but still regarded by the media as part of the royal family. It needs to be firmly trimmed and boundaries set in future years.

Macrobug67

I agree - like countries like Norway where there is the Royal House - Monarch and spouse, Heir and Spouse, Heir to Heir (and future spouse).  Siblings are not included.

The Royal Family is the rest - making it clear. 

Charles is going to have to make it clear and William even more so.

Having said this, Prince Micheal should have known better.  Honestly.

Curryong

The trouble with Prince Michael is/was that he was never really in the main line, just a spare in the collateral branch. The Kents were left quite badly off, and the men were expected to do the dutiful thing and go in the army. Which he did for a while then went into the business world, where he happened to become friends with people like the Marquess. The Devil makes work for idle hands etc...

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on May 09, 2021, 02:33:14 AM
I think that members of the Royal family have to be very careful of being persuaded by friends in the financial world into earning money in this fashion. As Prince Michael has now found out it?s not only unethical but leads to Press stings. And we know all about Andrew?s doings.

Whether this latest incident is part of a string of access deals in previous years  or not (and I suspect ....) I do think that it?s one more example of the British Royal Family needing to be slimmed down to just the monarch, his heir and their respective wives (who get vast wealth from the Duchies of Lancaster and Cornwall) and everybody else except of course for the eldest child of the heir being defined as not being part of the Royal House. As in Europe.

At the moment there is blurring around the edges, some royals being paid allowances to work for the Firm, some in the private commercial world (and sometimes needing money, of which promising access to various individuals is only too easy) but still regarded by the media as part of the royal family. It needs to be firmly trimmed and boundaries set in future years.  :goodpost:

wannable

In a joint investigation by The Sunday Times and Channel 4s Dispatches, Prince Michael was covertly filmed

Once in a while lets do a Fake Sheikh to see which royal falls in disgrace.

Another one bites the dust. Sophie Wessex, Gary Goldsmith and now a new cloak and dagger faker done to Michael Kent. 

True colours.

PrincessOfPeace

More ammunition for a slimmed down monarchy in the next reign.