Modern Day Royals Potpurri

Started by TLLK, January 18, 2021, 06:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

A general chat thread for our modern day royals in Europe, Asia, the Middle East and Africa

Most of us know that nearly all royal visits are meticulously planned but sometimes the unexpected can happen. From what I have read some royals ie: QEII/DoE actually enjoy when there is a little hiccup because it makes the event more memorable So here's a place to share when royal visits, tours, and activities do not turn out exactly as expected  :unsure: :wacko: :hehe:

First on the list from 1995When the Clintons forgot about the King and Queen of Norway's visit to the White House. :blink:

The time Bill Clinton forgot King Harald and Queen Sonja ? Royal Central

QuoteState visits are usually planned down to the smallest detail. Each step is reviewed in advance. However, things do not always go as planned, and things have to be resolved spontaneously. The fact that the hosts themselves are absent is highly unusual. The Olympic Games at Lillehammer in 1994 were a success and led to the American invitation the following year. So in 1995, King Harald and Queen Sonja went on a three-weeks-long tour of the United States.

In the first episode of the new series King Harald and Queen Sonja laughed when they look back on what happened outside the White House in 1995. When they got out of the black car in front of the White House, there was no one there to receive them. The king and queen looked around a little puzzled. The hosts, then-President of the United States Bill Clinton and First Lady Hillary, were nowhere to be seen.

?Embarrassing?, US media reported. The minutes passed before the US president finally appeared. Clinton later expressed that he feared the late arrival was perceived as an insult to the royal couple and thus to Norway. However, the king met the president with a smile. King Harald says in the series while laughing hard: ?They (Bill and Hillary Clinton) came running towards us, breathless and looking horrible. And then it slipped out of me when I greeted them, and I said, Welcome to the White House! It was not good?.

The reason for President Clinton?s late arrival was that he had been in an important meeting which was delayed. And the reason for King Harald?s ?welcome to the White House? was simply that the King had lived in the White House himself. For a brief period during World War II, the then Prince Harald, his two sisters and mother were guests of President Franklin D. Roosevelt for a few months.

Macrobug67

One of my favourites is when Diana fell asleep during some state event.  Turns out - she was pregnant with William

Double post auto-merged: January 19, 2021, 04:01:31 AM

I also like the time Sophie was getting in the carriage with Will and Kate and she lost her balance.   I found the photos of her and Kate laughing but I can?t post them  :shrug:

Curryong

A story from years ago from a Major Burgess, ADC to the QM in the 1990s.

The royals apparently quite enjoy it when things go awry on engagements as it provides a bit of interest beyond the norm. However, writing in The DM in 2017, Major Colin Burgess explained one particular private incident during the annual Royal Family Christmas gathering at Sandringham which provoked hilarity.

Major Burgess wrote: ?During a meal there, Margaret leant forward to get something and her hair touched a candle.

?Within seconds the back of her head was blazing away, but her tresses were sufficiently thick, (she wore her hair up)  that she knew nothing about it until the Queen spotted what was happening.?

Reportedly the monarch said in slight amusement: ?Oh look, Mummy, Margo?s on fire!?

The QM and Queen continued with their soup and watched interestedly as Margaret's head blazed. A footman rushed over and patted the flames down, at which Margaret kept giving him withering looks, as much as to say 'What the hell do you think you are doing, touching my hair!' However, he put the fire out, and the meal continued.

Amabel2

he could have chucked a vase of water over her....

Curryong

Yes, but so could the Queen, or the Queen Mother! I read that story years ago, but not in the Fail, in some magazine, and the main impression I took from it was the reaction of Prss Margaret's relatives. And if Margaret disliked her hair being patted you can just imagine her reaction if she had been soaked by a vase of water poured by a servant!

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on January 19, 2021, 04:42:52 AM
A story from years ago from a Major Burgess, ADC to the QM in the 1990s.

The royals apparently quite enjoy it when things go awry on engagements as it provides a bit of interest beyond the norm. However, writing in The DM in 2017, Major Colin Burgess explained one particular private incident during the annual Royal Family Christmas gathering at Sandringham which provoked hilarity.

Major Burgess wrote: ?During a meal there, Margaret leant forward to get something and her hair touched a candle.

?Within seconds the back of her head was blazing away, but her tresses were sufficiently thick, (she wore her hair up)  that she knew nothing about it until the Queen spotted what was happening.?

Reportedly the monarch said in slight amusement: ?Oh look, Mummy, Margo?s on fire!?

The QM and Queen continued with their soup and watched interestedly as Margaret's head blazed. A footman rushed over and patted the flames down, at which Margaret kept giving him withering looks, as much as to say 'What the hell do you think you are doing, touching my hair!' However, he put the fire out, and the meal continued.

I was a guest at a wedding in which the groom's mother nearly caught on fire. She was a fan of teased hair and her hairstylist had her lacquered up for the big event. The pews had candle holders on the ends along the aisle and the tapers were lit for the late afternoon wedding.  M-o-G kept moving her head back and forth in close proximity to the flame. Finally another guest was so concerned that she moved up from her seat to beg MoG to move away from the flame!

Curryong

That's hilarious TLLK! There was a blooper programme here where a woman lying in a bath with a semi Afro hair do and a dozen scented candles surrounding the bath had the same thing happen to her!

The thing with Margaret was a penchant for very elaborate up-dos on top of her head, large curls and plait arrangements, especially when she was younger. I think half of it was produced with false hair and I wonder whether this incident at Sandringham involved false hair and lacquer as well. Odd that she would have that when dining with her family at Sandringham, but it may be the explanation of why her scalp didn't feel anything amiss when her 'hair' was burning!

Amabel2

Quote from: Curryong on January 19, 2021, 07:25:11 PM
Yes, but so could the Queen, or the Queen Mother! I read that story years ago, but not in the Fail, in some magazine, and the main impression I took from it was the reaction of Prss Margaret's relatives. And if Margaret disliked her hair being patted you can just imagine her reaction if she had been soaked by a vase of water poured by a servant!
That's what I meant.  it would be so lovely for a royal staff member to have the chance to chuck some cold water over her...

Macrobug67

Curryong

A general chat thread for our modern day royals in Europe, Asia, the Middle East and Africa

Let's start with when royals might be wishing they were somewhere else.  :wink:

Yes, I?m sure Meghan will be sitting in Santa Barbara in 2022 thinking to herself ?Wow, I could be sitting at BP at a State dinner loaded up with jewels listening to the Japanese Emperor (and later other officials)  droning on and on!? Oh I?m so unhappy to miss it!?   :laugh: I don?t know whether her tiara hurt (as they so often do) or what but there was a brief showing of Kate at the last such State Dinner and she looked bored out of her mind, with glazed eyes. She was probably longing for the evening to end so she could relax!

Like the photo showing Diana at a State Banquet in the article below!

Royals looking bored in public: the Queen, Princess Diana, Prince George, Princess Anne and more | HELLO!

TLLK

Times when even the royals lost their patience and showed their annoyance. <_< (Includes a few of the younger members of the BRF too and their parents having to step in to discipline their children.)

Royals losing their temper in public: The Queen, Kate Middleton, Prince Harry and more | HELLO!

QuoteThey are some of the most dignified people in public, always keeping their cool and remaining professional in front of the cameras.

But sometimes, members of the royal family can't help but show they're only human, and now and again they are even seen losing their temper ? whether they've been pushed too far by their children or grandchildren, or when the press pack tests their patience in the case of Prince Philip!

We're taking a look back at some of the royal family's more irritable moments, and see how they managed to control the situation while dozens of flashbulbs went off.

TLLK

And then there are those very humorous moments that happen during official engagements. (Camilla and Catherine seem to be tied for having the most expressive faces.)  :hehe:

Royals in hysterics: Meghan Markle, Sophie Wessex and more royals who can't stop giggling | HELLO!

QuoteAlthough everyone knows being a member of the royal family means serious business, every now and again, some of our favourite royals can lose their composure by bursting into fits of giggles!

Some of the best photos are taken during these candid, more relaxed moments at engagements. Here at HELLO!, we've decided to round up the most heartwarming snaps?

However I don't think that neither Camilla or Catherine come close to the Queen of facial expressions... The Netherlands Queen Maxima.

Queen Maxima of the Netherlands' Happy Faces | POPSUGAR Latina

TLLK

Adding to this thread with some fashion flops through the decades.  :blink: :eyes: :teehee:

IMHO this one takes the grand prize, Princess Laurentian at the wedding of CP Frederik of Denmark and Mary Donaldson in 2004. There's the hideous quilted skirt, an blah oatmeal color and then the horror of a bodice and minus any support garment.
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Top 10 Worst Dressed Royal Wedding Guests: #1. Laurentien Does It Again

Coming in a very close second is her sister-in-law Mabel at the wedding of Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden and Daniel Westling. Yes it's best described as a tutu meets business wear.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Top 10 Worst of 2010: #1. Princess Mabel at Crown Princess Victoria's Wedding

The Worst Royal Dresses Of All Time - StyleBistro

QuoteWhile there have been many royal fashion hits over the years, there's no denying we've also seen a number of misses. And, yes, Kate Middleton, Meghan Markle and Princess Diana have even made sartorial missteps. But just because these duchesses and princesses made a few errors when it came to their outfits, that doesn't mean they aren't stylish, of course.

Queen Letizia of Spain, for example, is undoubtedly one of the best-dressed royals, but she's proof that you can't knock every look out of the park. See: her light pink ruffled skirt suit that resembled a confection more than couture in 2004.

We also know members of Monaco's royal family, Charlotte Casiraghi and Charlene Wittstock, are style icons in the fashion world, but they've also had a few outfit faux pas in the past. And as for Sarah Ferguson? We'd put most of the blame on the trends from the '80s.

Ahead, see the worst royal dresses of all time. 

Curryong

I took a look at the first two photos in the article. Fergie in the multi-coloured purple-red-grey brown thing and then Diana in the red suit and pale pink fluffy striped blouse monstrosity and just thought ?God, what an ugly fashion decades the 1980s/early 1990s were.? The woman in the bright blue blouse and fuschia skirt behind Fergie deserves a prize of her own as well!

Fergie never had any fashion sense, but although Diana in her later years became a fashion diva, there were some serious missteps along the way. Which I?m afraid many of us who were along for the ride in those years often copied.

I?ve never seen anything uglier or more ill fitting on anyone however, than the blue and white patterned robe thing Meghan wore as a guest for an English wedding (Diana?s niece.). And of course, the glorious Maxi has certainly had her moments!

The former Meghan Markle, Prince Harry step out for family wedding

TLLK

QuoteI?ve never seen anything uglier or more ill fitting on anyone however, than the blue and white patterned robe thing Meghan wore as a guest for an English wedding (Diana?s niece.

Oh I might be able to top that one @Curryong.  :P Let me see if I can find a certain outfit from Princess Claire.  :hehe:

TLLK

Ugh of course I can't find that outfit online! Imagine the same blue and white pattern in Meghan's dress, but as a pants suit with matching hat.  :eyes:

TLLK

Sad news for cousins Queen Margrethe I of Denmark and King  Carl Gustaf of Sweden as an elephant that was owned jointly by the two monarchs has died.

Baby elephant owned by Queen of Denmark and King of Sweden dies ? Royal Central

QuoteMany of Europe?s royals have dogs as pets. What has been quite unknown to most people, however, is that the Swedish King and the Danish Queen, also owns several elephan`s. Now one of the royal elephants has died. The elephant was the son of two elephants that were once given as a gift by another monarch.

The baby elephant, named Prince, died this week after a rapid illness. Prince, who wasn?t yet two years old, is said to have started to feel noticeably worse at the start of December Since then, the team at Kolm?rden Zoo in Sweden, where the elephant lived, worked day and night to save the royal elephant. In the end, Prince died on December 7th 2021, to the great sorrow of the king and the zoo staff.

Prince is the son of another elephant owned by King Carl Gustaf, named Bua and the elephant Tonsak who is owned by Queen Margrethe of Denmark. Both of the elephants lives in Kolm?rden zoo in Sweden. The two elephants were both gifts from King Bhumibol of Thailand to the King of Sweden and the Queen of Denmark. As the elephant was a descendant of both the Danish queen and the Swedish king?s elephant, Prince was actually owned by both, but it was clarified shortly after the elephant?s birth that the Swedish king would be the official owner and that the elephant would live in Sweden.

When the elephant Prince was born in March 2020, the Swedish king was more than happy. The King then wrote in a greeting to the zoo that was very happy that the royal elephant had been born and that he looked forward to taking his family to visit the new elephant.

TLLK

Hugs all around among Catherine, Zara, and Beatrice at Westminster Abbey for the carol concert.
https://twitter.com/CoutureRoyals/status/1468667919777288202?s=20

QuoteFamily scenes at Westminster Abbey this evening for the ?Together at Christmas? carol service, so lovely to see the support!
The way they hug each other

TLLK

In the Strictly/Dancing poll, I voted for the UK's QEII who appears to have enjoyed dancing with Presidents to Balmoral Staff over the decades. I believe that she and Phillip likely spent many hours dancing together.  :wub:

TLLK

Remembering the royals who passed away in 2021 including three consorts of reigning monarchs.

In Memoriam: Remembering the royals we lost in 2021 ? Royal Central

QuoteIn 2021, the world lost several royals from various royal families across the globe. As 2021 comes to a close, we remember those who died, including one monarch and three consorts to reigning monarchs, and the lives they led.

TLLK

A look at the royals who promote literacy in their respective nations for World Book Day.

Royals? focus on the importance of literature ? Royal Central

QuoteWhat do the Duchess of Cornwall, Princess Laurentien of the Netherlands, and Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway have in common? Their love of and passion for reading and their encouragement of others to get them to enter into a world that allows you to escape from the realities of the world for a few moments.

We are going to break down each royal lady?s work in the literature field, beginning with the Duchess of Cornwall. The Duchess of Cornwall has shared her passion for reading on numerous occasions and has shown her support for the activity with her patronages.

Her Royal Highness has been the patron of the National Literacy Trust since 2010, and she is also the patron to other literature-based organisations like Book Trust, First Story, the Wicked Young Writer Awards and Beanstalk. She also always throws her support behind the BBC Radio 2?s 500 Words creative writing competition.

Talking about how stories are magical, the Duchess, who has admitted to being an avid reader, has said, ?Like climbing through the wardrobe into Narnia, stories open doors into different worlds. They stretch our imagination and get our brains buzzing. We fall in love with heroes and heroines and can?t turn the pages fast enough to find out what happens?

?Whether exotic or every-day, heart-warming or heart-stopping, stories help us to understand our world and the people in it.?

The Duchess of Cornwall attends several literacy events each year, and she didn?t wait long into 2019 to undertake her first literature event. At the end of January, she visited the North Swindon Library, where she read to schoolchildren as part of her role with the National Literacy Trust.
Princess Laurentien of the Netherlands? work in literature is less reported and not very well-known outside of the Netherlands. The Princess has worked in the promotion of literacy since 2001, and she initiated the founding of Stichting Lezen & Schrijven (the Reading and Writing Foundation) ?to prevent and reduce functional illiteracy,? according to the Royal House of the Netherlands.

Her Royal Highness?s dedication to literature led to her being designated as UNESCO Special Envoy on Literacy for Development, where she advocates for literacy across the globe. She has also been appointed Chair of the European Commission?s High Level Group of Experts on Literacy. She also received the Major Bosshardt Prize for her work in combating illiteracy in 2010.

Princess Laurentien had served as honorary chair of Stichting Lezen & Schrijven but resigned in 2017. However, she continues to work and support the foundation and its work the end illiteracy in the Netherlands.

The Princess regularly opens reading festivals and attends literature-based events, including reading to children during the Reading Breakfast as part of the national reading days in the Netherlands.

Last but certainly not least, is Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway who has hosted a literature train throughout Norway and more recently a literature metro in Oslo.

The popular literature train, which first began in 2014, will travel to Germany in October, and she will bring famous Norwegian authors on literature trains with Deutsche Bahn from Berlin via Cologne to Frankfurt, Germany. On Monday, 14 October, the Crown Princess will travel by train from Berlin to Cologne, and the day after, the trip to Frankfurt will continue. As part of the journey, a large group of Norway?s most famous authors will attend a Frankfurt book fair.

LouisFerdinand

Princess Diana arrived at St. Paul's Cathedral on her wedding day. There were wrinkles. The train was 25 feet in length.   

LouisFerdinand

Why is the President of France the Prince of Andorra?   
Why the President of France is Prince of Andorra - YouTube   

:xmas21: :xmas21: :xmas21: :xmas21: :xmas21: :xmas21:

TLLK

Meet Europe's reigning royals in order from their year of succession. On Sept. 8, 2023 with the death of QEII,  QMI is now the longest reigning monarch and KCIII is the shortest reigning one.

The royals who rule Europe in 2023 ? Royal Central

TLLK

The year was 2005 and the world's reigning royal families experienced a baby boom of their own. Here's a blog article sharing the news of those who celebrate their 18th birthday in 2003.  :stars:

The babies of royal baby boom year come of age ? Royal Central