Rededication of Diana's grave on July 1, 2017

Started by TLLK, June 28, 2017, 04:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trudie

@royalanthropologist Sandy is validating my points in her way so don't be so quick to dismiss her. No the royals weren't interested in Diana memorials however, as the mother of William and Harry they were involved like it or not and yes it was more or less PR exercises. Camilla was planning to go until the last minute when the Queen suggested she come up with a diplomatic illness as she saw the writing on the wall. Charles is too thick when it comes to Camilla and will promote her at any opportunity. As William and Harry is share the offices and staff of Charles at the time everyone knows that the staff's job is to promote Charles first.

Now that William and Harry have their own offices and staff there is no need to consult the palace and the boys can honor their mother any way they want.  Again if Sandy posts things that are of limited interest to you why do you bother responding?

royalanthropologist

Actually you are right @Trudie . I should not really bother responding to things that I find boring and repetitive. My comments were quoted so I assumed it was in reference to my earlier comments. All very childish IMO. This is so regal, people are weeping because they were not invited. They will not forget me whether they like it or not. Tedious, tedious, tedious. I should know better than to respond.  :notamused:
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Trudie

OK @royalanthropologist but in a lot of posts when it comes to how Camilla is perceived it is not just Sandy but you seem dismissive of others as well. While I am no great fan of Charles and Camilla I am not totally dismissive regarding them either. They seem happy in their own world Charles finally got the woman he wanted so perhaps it will make him better when he becomes King.

sandy

Charles and Camilla believe what they want to believe. But too many remember the past and take much of what Penny says with a grain of salt.

Quote from: royalanthropologist on June 30, 2017, 01:11:25 PM
Whatever @sandy. I was responding to Trudie's points. As for the other stuff, it is really of limited interest to me.

Then why do you bother answering? I can post when I want. No need to be rude.

Double post auto-merged: June 30, 2017, 04:25:49 PM

Quote from: royalanthropologist on June 30, 2017, 02:32:30 PM
Actually you are right @Trudie . I should not really bother responding to things that I find boring and repetitive. My comments were quoted so I assumed it was in reference to my earlier comments. All very childish IMO. This is so regal, people are weeping because they were not invited. They will not forget me whether they like it or not. Tedious, tedious, tedious. I should know better than to respond.  :notamused:

The old saying applies here. If you have nothing good to say about someone then don't say anything at all. Yes you should know better than be rude.

sara8150

Quote from: SophieChloe on June 29, 2017, 11:16:44 PM
Let's hope the only Middleton there will be Kate. 

I don't think they're intive from Spencer family because wanted remember famous princess of Wales but Spencer and princes William& Harry wanted limited intive family members and friends who remember late Diana,Princess of Wales..

If Diana was alive today and Diana will banned Middleton family

Diana is iconic she is people's princess and queen's heart

sandy

I think Diana would have liked the Middletons. I doubt they will attend the service though.

royalanthropologist

Yes @Trudie, I can be dismissive but there comes a time when further debate on something is pointless. Like I said before, I am personally just tired of all the war of the waleses stuff. There are no new angles or insights. Some people have just decided that Charles and Camilla are the devil incarnate and Diana was a saint. You cannot argue with that mentality. Better to let the person live in their comforting bubble of simplistic explanations and solutions.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

sara8150

sandy

Quote from: royalanthropologist on June 30, 2017, 06:28:13 PM
Yes @Trudie, I can be dismissive but there comes a time when further debate on something is pointless. Like I said before, I am personally just tired of all the war of the waleses stuff. There are no new angles or insights. Some people have just decided that Charles and Camilla are the devil incarnate and Diana was a saint. You cannot argue with that mentality. Better to let the person live in their comforting bubble of simplistic explanations and solutions.

It seems that this is a two way street. Junor thinks Camilla was a saint and   and others are blamed for C and C's  mistakes. There is a bubble around the two of them and Junor seems to inhabit her own little world. I think she will be rewarded. Some people don't accept Junor's word as gospel truth to say the least.
IT would have been better to allow the boys to peacefully honor their mum and Camilla and Charles and Junor wait a bit for this book to be released.

Duch_Luver_4ever

I think it would have been nice for Charles to go, if only to support his kids and grandkids, and to represent the wider RF. I know the kids are royals, but theyre going more as her children than representing the royals.

I think it could have taken some of the steam out of the media circus that may occur this summer, and have the RF go from looking mean spirited and cheap, to at least a tiny bit magnanimous, and putting things behind from current events to history.

The longer the royals resist and avoid embracing Diana, and what she gave to the RF, warts and all, the longer her legacy will haunt them. Aside from my feelings on her, the shrewd PR move is to try and take the wind out her sails, and a big part of that was being the castout, the rebel, etc.

"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

sandy

Charles of course is in Canada now. Charles long since moved on from Diana and is not her widower. It also would bring up a sticky issue about Camilla going with him. That would have been a problem.

royalanthropologist

@Duch_Luver_4ever. I think Charles and co have checked out of that particular train since 2007. I doubt that he will ever attend another memorial or remembrance. I do not even think that he is going to attend the unveiling of the statue. At the same time, one can understand. If you've had such a terrible marriage and an even worse divorce, you tend to want to forget about the whole thing. William and Harry are the right people to do the memorials. They can then invite their immediate family (or even friends) along like they are doing today. It is much easier than forcing the other royals to attend events that are uncomfortable for them. And of course, those who think Charles and Camilla are devils will have the pleasure of knowing that they are far, far away in Canada with not even the remotest chance of them ever participating in such events. Good all round compromise.

Curryong

According to Junor, (Again. I'm constantly quoting that woman over the last few days  :P) William and Harry were determined to avoid awkwardness and therefore put their collective foot down about any senior royals attending the Wembley concert on the tenth anniversary.

amabel

Seems a bit odd if they want Diana to be sitll considered part of the RF.

sandy

Why is it odd? Diana will be in the bloodlines of future monarchs. Her son is a future King as is her grandson. She also has another Prince the spare and a granddaughter. And a daughter in law. ALL are royal. So royals are attending.

Double post auto-merged: July 01, 2017, 11:31:17 AM

Quote from: royalanthropologist on July 01, 2017, 04:50:36 AM
@Duch_Luver_4ever. I think Charles and co have checked out of that particular train since 2007. I doubt that he will ever attend another memorial or remembrance. I do not even think that he is going to attend the unveiling of the statue. At the same time, one can understand. If you've had such a terrible marriage and an even worse divorce, you tend to want to forget about the whole thing. William and Harry are the right people to do the memorials. They can then invite their immediate family (or even friends) along like they are doing today. It is much easier than forcing the other royals to attend events that are uncomfortable for them. And of course, those who think Charles and Camilla are devils will have the pleasure of knowing that they are far, far away in Canada with not even the remotest chance of them ever participating in such events. Good all round compromise.

No they are not devils but it would really be inappropriate for them to attend, especially fresh on the heels of the Junor book and Camilla's interview. IT would turn into the Jerry Springer show. I credit them with having more sense. But maybe they don't?

amabel

I meant hat it seems odd that WIll and Haryr did not want senior royals at the 2007 service, if they want to have Diana considered part of the RF.

Trudie

@amabel The Royal family were at the church for the memorial service William sat with the RF Harry sat with the Spencers. It was just the concert they didn't invite senior royals to.

sara8150

Diana's brother Earl Spencer says 'she deserves a place in history' as William, Kate and Harry attend ceremony to re-dedicate her grave on what would have been the princess's 56th birthday
Earl Spencer says Diana 'deserves a place in history' | Daily Mail Online

Double post auto-merged: July 01, 2017, 03:08:15 PM

Princess Diana Would Have Been 56 Today, and Her Family Is Marking It in the Most Poignant Way
Princess Diana Remembered at Graveside Service at Althorp

royalanthropologist

You @amabel, those young men are caught between a rock and a hard place. Whereas they wanted to celebrate their mother in a conciliatory mindset that brought the two sides of the family together; their efforts were stepped on by those who like to think of themselves as the only true Diana fans. They like the drama of having to lynch someone or do chaos. It is the vigilante mentality. So the boys have now decided to make things a bit more private.  It will keep the overzealous vigilantes away and ensure that they can have a dignified ceremony. The other senior royals are doing their own thing so on balance it was a good move.

Trudie

^@royalanthropologist the boys are only caught between a rock and a hard place because of Camilla. Sorry but I find it in poor taste for any second wife to attend a funeral or memorial of a spouses former wife especially if she had a hand in the marriages demise.

royalanthropologist

But @Trudie, with all due respect to you; it was not your place to decide who to invite to that event. It was her sons who made the guest list. You may find it distasteful but that is their family and their business.

In any case, the Diana fans have gotten their wish; no senior member of the royal family apart from Diana's descendants are attending. Charles and Camilla are thousands of mile away on duty. The rest of the royal family is doing their own stuff.

But Still, people are not satisfied...they want someone to be lynched and punished for something??? The self proclaimed super Diana fans have gotten exactly what they asked for: Diana is separated from the rest of the royal family (apart from her descendants) and they have nothing to do with her memorials.

There is a park where people can go and remember her if they like. There is also a statute at KP planned that will be entirely organized by Diana's sons with no input from the rest of the royal family. The Spencers have complete control over her grave. What more do super Diana fans want?

Diana is where she belongs, with her family who loved her and want to celebrate her. The rest of the royal family is well out of it.

Duch_Luver_4ever

:goodpost: everyone, I see what you mean @royalanthropologist the boys are in an impossible situation, and while theres a vast range of opinion from them staying away to some wanting to flay them metaphorically on the cross of neglecting her in life and the hubhub during her death.

While even I get a little more dogmatic around certain important dates (birth, wedding, death, funeral) being reminded of what was lost and what could have been, I can understand why say HM, DoE and the other Princes wouldnt go, and obviously it would be wildly inappropriate for Camilla to go, it would have taken a lot of the wind out of the sails of the publicity to have Charles there, even just for a brief reading or something.

I know he probably, like you said, wants to put the whole thing behind him, he would get a lot of PR points for supporting the boys, and appearing to be the "bigger person" especially with the publicity over the Junor book. It would be like "look, even with whats being bandied about her temper, phone calls, etc. Im still coming to say thank you for giving me two wonderful boys".

But I also know it could be uncomfortable for him, the Spencers, etc. Theres no easy answers as she goes from current to historical figure, and both sides are going to have to come to terms with her being part of the RF at one time, but the lack of contrition keeps giving oxygen to the flames of publicity over Diana.

But knowing the way Charles is, by not being able to bring Camilla would virtually guarantee him not showing up, so the current schedule is probably the best option. Although I wonder if he'll recall another time he was here on July 1st, back in 83.....Diana looking so lovely on her 22nd birthday.

"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

royalanthropologist

@Duch_Luver_4ever. I have thought that the most ideal situation was a family reconciliation. That should and ought to have happened even before Diana died. Bitterness kills you inside and sometimes you are in a situation where you are only hurting yourself. Saying "I will never forgive this person" is just creating emotional distress for you, particularly if the other person is so insulated from you that your anger practically means nothing to them. Diana had tried the woman scorned routine and it had no effect on Charles. He just left the home. Perhaps a mature and pragmatic approach might have had a different response from him. They had children in common and that might have been a foundation for a reconciliation. Instead Diana opted to continue the embittered wife approach, the very worst strategy she could adopt for someone like Charles. He just ignored her completely.

I think the boys wanted to do something toward reconciliation. They are the first witnesses of their parents' marriage after their parents. They know a lot more about that marriage than virtually any author or commentator or supporter. Those who really claim to care about them should have respected their wishes. William and Harry have been sending out messages of reconciliation time and time again, right from meeting Camilla at a time when she was person non-grata in the wider royal family and even during his wedding. It is only those who are eaten up by bitterness and a vigilante desire for public lynchings who fail to see what he is doing. They keep frustrating his efforts at every turn with their desire for some kind of grand revenge. Some of them are now even trying to push their tentacles to innocent grand children. This is not your grand mother, punish her, avoid her etc. Really, really pathetic stuff. It is poisoning yet another young generation.

Diana can and ought to be celebrated by the monarchy. She gave them so much, particularly when she was not on a revenge agenda against her husband.  However, whenever such remembrance events are hijacked by people who make it all about their zealous support for one party in a failed marriage; the members of that monarchy have no choice but to move on and do other things.

I also suspect that those who want to insult, diminish and hurt Camilla are never really satisfied with their Pyrrhic victories. You can just see it with this latest rededication service. They have virtually gotten everything they wanted for the 2007 event but they are still not satisfied: Why is Camilla away doing high profile public duties, why is Charles not here, they will never forget her etc. That is the way of vigilantism and bitterness. You are never really happy until you let go. That is my opinion anyway.

amabel

well there seems to be no pleasing people.. if Camilla is invited to or came to a Diana memorial event she's attacked.. if she and Charles are "away and not there " for this latest event, there seems to be an implication that Charles is heartlessly "moved on" from his ex wife and sin't interested in her..

Duch_Luver_4ever

I agree @royalanthropologist the children are likely the best "glue" to reconcile both sides, especially had Diana lived longer and found another person, it would have gone very far to clam the waters. Even I have to agree she would try and do things to generate publicity like her parading around in her leopard skin bathing costume on the day of Camillas 50th birthday party.

Im sure it did hurt her that Charles had moved on, but its conveniently forgotten (here come the letters) that Diana invited James Hewitt to Charles 40th birthday, and he didnt go out and have a photo stunt or some such thing, largely because it didnt hurt him emotionally, like Charles affair did to Diana.

Im surprised her circle of older friends and family couldnt offer her better advice on how to try and reconcile the marriage, since for a long time thats what she wanted most. I think it was just too little for them to build on with mutual interests, as the impression I get is Charles wanted a wife to be more of an intellectual companion than a physical one.

I think for the smoothing out of the monarchy and her, it will likely happen after HM is gone, possible Charles too, although once william moves a notch closer to the throne, he will have more leverage to speak his mind on the matter. Also I think once Charles is king, then they can look past things like the Panorama interview. Until then, I think the monarchy is worried that what Diana wanted will come to pass if something happened to Charles before HM passes, so they maybe dont want to let bygone be bygone, just yet.

I also agree that some people are loathe to give up their dislike of Camilla, even I have to admit that grips me from time to time. I was thinking when I walked the dog today, how do people in the UK teach their kids that cheaters never prosper...unless youre the heir to the throne.

I think just like the crown is waiting for Charles to sit on the throne before they forgive and welcome Diana back into the historical fold, I think the other side is waiting to see if Charles doesnt take the throne, then they'll be willing to forgive Camilla, and im sure a few would be willing to supple the black binbags for the boys to take her clothes out of Clarence House, a la Raine Spencer (sorry, I couldnt resist that one  :lol:).

But yes, I agree a lot of bitterness and unpleasantness all round thats really unnecessary as it has zero effect on the events, but I guess just like ppl root for sports teams, they take sides on this.