Queen Mother statue unveiled - royals attend ceremony

Started by Stix Chix, February 23, 2009, 02:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stix Chix

Queen Mother immortalised in bronze as memorial statue is finally ready to be unveiled--Daily Mail
The Queen Mother and all her passions unveiled--Times
QuoteThe scenes in bronze relief accompany a 9½ft statue of the Queen Mother, seen here for the first time, resplendent in her Order of the Garter robes and with a faint smile.

The memorial, which has been kept secret, will be unveiled by the Queen on Tuesday. It stands in front of – and below – a statue of King George VI, her late husband, off the Mall in central London, a quarter of a mile from her former home at Clarence House.

The tribute reflects many of her passions. The statue is flanked by two bronze reliefs by Paul Day depicting key moments in her life.

:thumbsup: looks good.

Harryite #0004

sandy

All well and good but shouldn't Diana have had a statue too instead of that fountain.

Jenee

Here's another article from the telegraph

I agree Sandy, it would have been smarter to have a statue instead of a fountain for Diana.
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

brittanylala

Is it just my eyes or is Harry's hair thinning out at the back of his head...
http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/85013061.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193B946C5A518E7D4C115324D65CBA54D4AE30A760B0D811297

May the Good Lord have mercy on us...we can't have 2 bald princes!!

andy galan

??? what¿? harry isnt bald    ;)  and  it is not necessary to offend :whoopdeedoo:

:wed:    
anti-kate!! :snob:

sandy

It's sad because to me this is a "what might have been" with Diana getting a statue dedicated to her. I hope it happens some day: NOTE to William and Harry.

Angelbaby

Quote from: brittanylala on February 24, 2009, 03:19:19 PM
Is it just my eyes or is Harry's hair thinning out at the back of his head...
http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/85013061.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193B946C5A518E7D4C115324D65CBA54D4AE30A760B0D811297

May the Good Lord have mercy on us...we can't have 2 bald princes!!

:cry: The picture with Willam and Harry talking with Gordon Brown and wife shows that Harry is balding IMO

:hissyfit:   :hissyfit:   :hissyfit:  Now, listen up princes because I am only going to say this once ROGAINE, ROGAINE, ROGAINE, ROGAINE  :lmao3:   :lmao3:   :lmao3:   :lmao3:

Riss

Girls... CALM DOWN!!!
Harry is not balding... theres nothing wrong with his hair in that pic...

drezzle

Both princes looked stressed, wringing their hands.  See the physical distance always maintained between the queen and PP?  There's Charles playing with his infernal cuff links.  And last but not least -- the Queen, as implacable as always.  :yawn:
If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

fawbert

I'm pleased that the statue is of a young Queen Elizabeth to complement the tragically young George VI.   Queen Victoria insisted on similar treatment. When Albert died in 1861 she had her effigy commissioned for the Royal Mausoleum to show her at the same age as her Consort.

The sight of a bronze 57 yr old King George VI with a 101 year old wife would have been unsuitable.

Fawbert

Lady_In_Waiting

I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if Harry has started balding or if not now he may well do in the future. It's in the genes unfortunately. Blasted genes.  :hissyfit: There is always hair transplants.

brittanylala

Another picture quite possibly displaying a tiny bald spot on Harry...

http://www.abacausa.com/previews/75/899575.jpeg

Quote from: drezzle on February 24, 2009, 05:08:55 PM
Both princes looked stressed, wringing their hands.

I noticed that too. I wonder why? It's only a statue unveiling...

Haidee

Quote from: Lady_In_Waiting on February 24, 2009, 06:56:25 PM
I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if Harry has started balding or if not now he may well do in the future. It's in the genes unfortunately. Blasted genes.  :hissyfit: There is always hair transplants.

Harry isnt balding I dont think .. If you zoom in on his pictures, its just the way his hair is sitting - flat. He may have a tine bald spot but most guys do when the have a hair style like that IMO. Or maybe Im blind :teehee:

Claire

Personally, and I seriously mean it - I doubt Edward or William's baldness has anything to do with stress or genes.  But a lot to so with the anti-depression medication that they are on.

fawbert

Philip lost his hair very early, and Prince Andrew of Greece, Philip's papa, was similarly bald as a coot.
Fawbert

Trudie

Whether a man is destined for baldness or not is in his genes.

Miss Scarlett

Yes.  People typically have their mother's father's hair, and the late Earl Spencer was quite bald.  It's also 100% on the Windsor side, as well.  I doubt Harry will be able to escape it.  He looks dashing either way, though!!