Emily Lascelles to wed

Started by fawbert, April 10, 2008, 01:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fawbert

The Queen, some weeks ago, at a meeting of the Privy Council, approved the forthcoming wedding of her cousin twice removed, Emily Tsering Lascelles, 32, and one Matthew Shard.  Emily, who works in film production (including the Harry Potter epics) is a great-granddaughter of the late Princess Royal (Princess Mary, Countess of Harewood).

George V = Mary of Teck
                                                                                  I
                                         -----------------------------------------------------------------
                                         |                                                                                          |
                                    George VI = Eliz Bowes-Lyon                                                     Mary = 6th Earl of Harewood
                                         |                                                                                          |
                                    Elizabeth II                                                                            George, 7th Earl of Harewood =Marion Stein
                                                                                                                                     |
                                                                                                                               David Lascelles = Margaret Messenger
                                                                                                                                     |
                                                                                                                               Emily Tsering Lascelles = Matthew Shard
                                                                                                                               1975-

===
Fawbert

Trudie

I say congratulations to the happy couple. :thumbsup: Fawbert how do you manage to keep up with it all? :teehee:

dizzylizzy13

Reading the Peerage News helps  :fool:

heather

fawbert

Quote from: dizzylizzy on April 10, 2008, 03:22:14 AM
Reading the Peerage News helps  :fool:

I am very closely involved over at Peerage News, but keep it under your hat.       :windsor1:
Fawbert

dizzylizzy13

I won't tell a soul, Fawbs. Honest.

Trudie

Your secret is safe within the whole world wide internet community. :lmao: :lmao:

buzzlightyear

To infinity and beyond ...

heather

Your hands must be filthy.... 8)

fawbert

Fawbert

dizzylizzy13

Quote from: heather on April 10, 2008, 09:13:48 PM
  Your hands must be filthy.... 8)

you must know where they've been :teehee:

heather

Scarlet Flowers

They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but they never kept any but one; they promised to take our land, and they took it.~Red Cloud

When you step out in faith, you step into a whole other world.

Jenee

Congrats to the couple :D

Could someone please tell me what the Privvy Council is, who is on it, and why they have to approve this wedding?
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

colinwatkins

Jenee, I think this link will give the information you are likely to want.

http://www.parliament.uk/commons/lib/research/notes/snpc-3708.pdf

Your question about notifying a wedding is a problem. I know of no law that says all royal weddings
must be notified to the Privy Council, but they all are. I guess it's because the Council actually
acts in the Queen's name.

Trudie

Jenee to put it in simple terms I think that as long as your in the line of succession in Britain no matter how far down it is a matter of courtesy to ask the Sovereigns permission and have the council consent to the marriage. I think this was started under George the II.As a great granddaughter of the Late Princess Royal the Queens Aunt this applies. I remember all the horrible things that happened when Maria Ogilvy who has no title also appealed to HM to give her consent when her parents refused to give their permission to marry.

fawbert

Quote from: colinwatkins on April 13, 2008, 10:35:10 AM

Your question about notifying a wedding is a problem. I know of no law that says all royal weddings
must be notified to the Privy Council, but they all are. I guess it's because the Council actually
acts in the Queen's name.

Under the terms of the Royal Marriages Act 1772 - a law on the statute books - no descendant of George II except the descendants of those who have married into foreign families - can marry without the prior consent of Her Majesty, or that marriage is null and void. The Queen, at a meeting of the Privy Council, gives consent. To my knowledge she has never refused a request. Her consent is always given in Council.

I was startled by the news that the Lascelles/Shard engagement had been approved by HM. I always imagined that illegitimate descendants of George II were not subject to the RMA. The Fitzclarence descendants of William IV do not seek approval to marry. I suppose the fact that Emily was legitimated on her parents' marriage has something to do with it. But even though she is legitimate and prefixed "The Hon" she is not in line of succession to the throne.

It's seems ludicrous to me that thousands of ordinary members of the public, leading private lives and in no way members of the Royal Family,  should be required to seek the consent of the Queen before they can marry.       :notamused:

Fawbert

colinwatkins

Trudie, you are wrong and Fawbert is correct. It is not a matter of courtesy, it is the law. I would like to
point out to Fawbert though that the Royal Marriages act makes no differentiation between legitimate and
illgegitimate descendants of George II, it just says 'descendants'.

fawbert

Thanks Colin. I have studied the 1772 RMA and know that no mention of legitimate descendants is made therein, and I have also looked at length through 200 years of issues of the London Gazette where the orders in council are promulgated and can find no instance where a descendant of George II -touched by illegitimacy - has sought the permission of the Sovereign to wed. As I said previously, hundreds of persons - including peers and politicians - are descended from William IV and Mrs Jordan - and none have ever required permission under the 1772 act to marry.  One high profile descendant of George II (via William IV and Mrs J) is the leader of the Opposition, David Cameron. He wasn't granted consent back in 1996 when he wed his wife Samantha Sheffield.

I think that Miss Lascelles may well be the first descendant of George II who has been legitimated to then go on and marry.

The 1772 Act may not specify "legitimate" descendants of George II, but clearly that is how it has been interpreted down the years.

Fawbert

Jenee

Quote from: colinwatkins on April 13, 2008, 05:41:14 PM
It is not a matter of courtesy, it is the law. I would like to point out to Fawbert though that the Royal Marriages act makes no differentiation between legitimate and illgegitimate descendants of George II, it just says 'descendants'.

But I thought the Queen had no power Colin?

I guess, as a foreigner, I just don't understand your definition of "power" and "law"
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

Trudie

Quote from: Jenee on April 14, 2008, 01:42:16 AM

I guess, as a foreigner, I just don't understand your definition of "power" and "law"

As a foreigner even I can see the great one is full of contradictions :lmao: :lmao: I do stand corrected however in this case it is not a matter of courtesy. However Fawbs how was she considered not legitimate?. I'll defer to you as the with the most knowledge on this one.

fawbert

Quote from: Jenee on April 14, 2008, 01:42:16 AM

But it isn't the Queen here using her power or prerogative - it's the law of the land so enacted by Parliament.

Fawbert

colinwatkins

Correct Fawbert! I am quite happy also with your take on the issue of legitimacy.

fawbert

Quote from: Trudie on April 14, 2008, 05:26:21 AM
As a foreigner even I can see the great one is full of contradictions :lmao: :lmao: I do stand corrected however in this case it is not a matter of courtesy. However Fawbs how was she considered not legitimate?. I'll defer to you as the with the most knowledge on this one.

Miss Lascelles wa born in Nov 1975. Her brother Benjamin was born in 1978. Her parents did not marry until 1979. Under the terms of the 1922 Legitimacy Act she was legitimated on her parents' marriage, but this has no effect on her standing within the Royal Family. Emily and Benjamin are not in line of succession to the Crown, and neither can Ben inherit the earldom of Harewood.

===
Fawbert

Trudie

Why can't Ben inherit the earldom? Fawbs I'm asking you.