How The Duchess of Cornwall Won Our Hearts

Started by cinrit, July 02, 2014, 10:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

QuoteTry to see it from Camilla's point of view. She first became involved with the Prince of Wales in 1971. That's 43 years ago. For well over 30 of those years she was at best a shadowy figure whom Charles somehow failed to marry but who was considered in any case unsuitable by the Royal Family. At worst, she was vilified for her appearance, hissed at in public and blamed for wrecking the happiness of the late Diana, Princess of Wales. Even when, at last, she married the prince in April 2005, she was visibly quaking with nerves – if not terror.

Why would a woman endure all this and never once speak out or try to manipulate the press? There can only be one answer and it explains why, after such a long struggle, the British public has finally, and rightly, taken Camilla to their hearts. After all, we've come a long way from 'Camillagate' and the age of 'there were three of us in this marriage'. This year, for the second time, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, attended the State Opening of Parliament and was seated, with Prince Charles, at the Queen's right hand.

She was even wearing the Queen Mother's tiara. (It should be noted that, rather surprisingly, the Queen Mother didn't much like her: 'Elbows on the table, Camilla?' she remarked sharply when she finally agreed to meet her grandson's mistress.)

During the 2012 Diamond Jubilee, she was also prominent, sitting at the Queen's side in the carriage. Unquestionably, she has arrived. What's more, it looks as if the final hurdle has been surmounted, too, with the latest YouGov poll showing that a majority of Britons now support her becoming Queen Consort, if her husband succeeds his mother.

More: How Camilla won our hearts

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Sandor

I think most people realize that Charles and Camilla are comfortable together, and they make each other happy.
I also think that many realize that Charles and Diana simply were not suited and would never have been able to make their marriage work;  they just had very different expectations.

DaFluffs

I object to the publishing of this item on the birthdate of Princess Diana. 

The editors should have waited for a better date.  This was deliberate manipulation of the press on the readers.....   :catfight:

sandy

Quote from: cinrit on July 02, 2014, 10:41:13 PM
QuoteTry to see it from Camilla's point of view. She first became involved with the Prince of Wales in 1971. That's 43 years ago. For well over 30 of those years she was at best a shadowy figure whom Charles somehow failed to marry but who was considered in any case unsuitable by the Royal Family. At worst, she was vilified for her appearance, hissed at in public and blamed for wrecking the happiness of the late Diana, Princess of Wales. Even when, at last, she married the prince in April 2005, she was visibly quaking with nerves – if not terror.

Why would a woman endure all this and never once speak out or try to manipulate the press? There can only be one answer and it explains why, after such a long struggle, the British public has finally, and rightly, taken Camilla to their hearts. After all, we've come a long way from 'Camillagate' and the age of 'there were three of us in this marriage'. This year, for the second time, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, attended the State Opening of Parliament and was seated, with Prince Charles, at the Queen's right hand.

She was even wearing the Queen Mother's tiara. (It should be noted that, rather surprisingly, the Queen Mother didn't much like her: 'Elbows on the table, Camilla?' she remarked sharply when she finally agreed to meet her grandson's mistress.)

During the 2012 Diamond Jubilee, she was also prominent, sitting at the Queen's side in the carriage. Unquestionably, she has arrived. What's more, it looks as if the final hurdle has been surmounted, too, with the latest YouGov poll showing that a majority of Britons now support her becoming Queen Consort, if her husband succeeds his mother.

More: How Camilla won our hearts

Cindy

According to various sources Camilla was not so "discreet" she gave her "side" the the Sun editor. She also actively undermined Princess Diana, badmouthing her to the Prince (some letters that came into public domain show this) and usurped Diana's position as Hostess at Highgrove.

What did Camilla "endure?" She got most of what Diana had, while mistress she got jewels from the Prince and could call the shots.

I think it presumptuous of the writer to tell the public how they think about Camilla.

Philip was sick so Charles foisted Camilla on the Queen in that carriage.

This is really propaganda and not accurate either.

Double post auto-merged: July 03, 2014, 12:18:18 AM

Quote from: Sandor on July 02, 2014, 11:58:25 PM
I think most people realize that Charles and Camilla are comfortable together, and they make each other happy.
I also think that many realize that Charles and Diana simply were not suited and would never have been able to make their marriage work;  they just had very different expectations.

Camilla by butting in made sure Diana and Charles would not make their marriage work. Charles was getting marital advice from the greedy self serving woman. How happy the woman makes Charles is subject to speculation.  Camilla had  a lot riding on Charles marriage to Diana not working.

How do you know the marriage would not have worked if Camilla had not butted in? It's like saying a man would have lost his money anyway when a thief steals his wallet.

Sandor, how can you make statements that "most people" think a certain way. There are no definitive surveys how people feel about C and C. It is an opinion and your projection not a "fact."

TLLK

Don't know if this information was shared here but the newest UK Government Poll shows that 53%  believe that she should have the title of Queen Consort, 32% believe it should be a lesser title ie: Princess Consort and 14% are undecided.

TBH I am a bit surprised that slightly more than 1/2 of the public feels this way, considering how Camilla started out in the BRF. However time has passed and it appears that those polled believe that she should be titled Queen Camilla when the PoW becomes king.

TLLK

That is a good observaton sandor.

Sandor

Quote from: TLLK on July 03, 2014, 12:45:46 AM
Don't know if this information was shared here but the newest UK Government Poll shows that 53%  believe that she should have the title of Queen Consort, 32% believe it should be a lesser title ie: Princess Consort and 14% are undecided.

So there...53% is most people!    :yesss:

sandy

TBH I am a bit surprised that slightly more than 1/2 of the public feels this way, considering how Camilla started out in the BRF. However time has passed and it appears that those polled believe that she should be titled Queen Camilla when the PoW becomes king.

Again, it is not a definitive census like survey. Also it does not gauge "fondness" for the woman.

Double post auto-merged: July 03, 2014, 02:37:30 AM

Quote from: Sandor on July 03, 2014, 12:54:24 AM

So there...53% is most people!    :yesss:

So what? It is not a survey of everybody in the UK so I would not take it as definitive.

There have never been census door to door type surveys. I think it fair to say that some like her, some don't and some don't care. The exact percentages are not known.

Double post auto-merged: July 03, 2014, 02:39:33 AM

Quote from: TLLK on July 03, 2014, 12:46:16 AM

That is a good observaton sandor.

I disagree.  It is like saying a thief was justified in theft because the one he took the money from would have lost it anyway. I think another woman lurking about would put a damper on any marriage. Charles got what he wanted from Diana--the heirs and he ditched her for Camilla. Charles had his cake and ate it too. How people can try to justify what these two did is beyond me.

Double post auto-merged: July 03, 2014, 02:43:38 AM

To me the poll is futile. It makes no difference since the Prince is going to do as he pleases anyway. I am not getting how you think this poll represents the feelings of everybody in the UK. It is no census.  I'm not surprised at these polls, who took them, maybe a lot of the Palace staff got to vote.

Limabeany

Quote from: DaFluffs on July 03, 2014, 12:01:14 AM
I object to the publishing of this item on the birthdate of Princess Diana. 

The editors should have waited for a better date.  This was deliberate manipulation of the press on the readers.....   :catfight:
I agree, regardless of how anyone feels about either woman, it is tacky, insensitive, inelegant, crass and rude to publish it on this date.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Eri

I am glad my girl is getting some love finally she deserves it !!! She has been nothing but a good wife and and a good Royal all this Years go Cam !!!  :Jen:

Trudie

Honestly I think how the public really feels about Camilla will be known once Charles ascends the throne and reality sets in. To be honest I was amused by the authors assertion that Camilla never manipulated the press I suppose the author never heard of Stuart Higgins or Charles choice of spin doctor Camilla went along with Mark Bolland.

Curryong

I try not to dislike Camilla. I really do. Time marches on and all that. Then I think of Camilla calling Higgins, week after week, month after month, dropping spiteful poisonous bulletins about Diana into his ear, under the guise of putting Charles's point of view. The image of a venomous snake in the grass pops into my mind every time.

cinrit

Actually, Higgins said that he would call Camilla and ask "yes or no" questions, such as "is this true" or "did this happen".  She'd say yes or no, and that was it.  She did not contact him with gossip.

As for the poll results that TLLK mentioned, it's taken from a YouGov poll, which is known for it's accuracy.

QuoteCamilla Can Become 'Queen', Say Public

Most British people want Camilla to take on the traditional title of queen consort if Charles is crowned, rather than take a lesser title – but women are more divided on the issue than men

A new YouGov poll finds that the British public back giving the her the title of queen consort should Charles become king. 

53% say Camilla should be queen consort, while 32% think she should be given a lesser title “out of sensitivity to Diana, the Princess of Wales”.

More: Camilla can become 'Queen', say public

Cindy

Curryong

So, between 1982 and 1992, as Higgins stated in the book 'Forward, Camilla: Her True Story' ' she' (Camilla) 'guided me as to what might be right or wrong, with a clear bias in favour of the man she loved, Prince Charles. I am convinced that our conversations were consistently relayed to St James's Palace, so both the Prince and his most loyal courtiers could monitor the media's knowledge of the relationship...'

Sorry, but for me, that behaviour is being a snake in the grass. Camilla didn't begin this contact with Higgins  after Diana and Charles became estranged, but early in the marriage, in the year of William's birth. Diana was just 21.

Eri

Quote from: Curryong on July 03, 2014, 11:50:13 AM
I try not to dislike Camilla. I really do. Time marches on and all that. Then I think of Camilla calling Higgins, week after week, month after month, dropping spiteful poisonous bulletins about Diana into his ear, under the guise of putting Charles's point of view. The image of a venomous snake in the grass pops into my mind every time.
Di wrote books and gave interviews behind Liz's back trying to destroy her all while living off Liz's dime ( the expression biting the hand that feeds you comes to mind) so are we really talking about venomous snakes in the grass? One shouldn't throw stones while Di lived in the glass house everything Cam did so did Di !!!

sandy

What about Charles deceit of Diana and his friends providing safe houses for C and C and being nice to Diana's face. The Queen Mum even encouraged them by lending them Birkhall for overnighters. And how about Charles sitting back and allowing Camilla to trash his wife (this was never done by earlier mistresses like Lily Langtry) and also Camilla feeling no compunction at usurping Diana's place at Hostess of Highgrove and Diana coming home and finding Camilla did some redecorating.  I suppose it's OK for Diana to be treated this way. Charles friends were leaking stories about Diana for years with Charles apparent blessing. Charles discarded Diana like a peach pit after she had the heirs. How this selfish man can be defended is beyond me. I too see Camilla as a snake.

Double post auto-merged: July 03, 2014, 01:53:38 PM

Quote from: cinrit on July 03, 2014, 12:20:25 PM
Actually, Higgins said that he would call Camilla and ask "yes or no" questions, such as "is this true" or "did this happen".  She'd say yes or no, and that was it.  She did not contact him with gossip.

As for the poll results that TLLK mentioned, it's taken from a YouGov poll, which is known for it's accuracy.

Most British people want Camilla to take on the traditional title of queen consort if Charles is crowned, rather than take a lesser title – but women are more divided on the issue than men

A new YouGov poll finds that the British public back giving the her the title of queen consort should Charles become king. 

53% say Camilla should be queen consort, while 32% think she should be given a lesser title "out of sensitivity to Diana, the Princess of Wales".

Cindy

Yes or no answers can tell a lot depending on what the question is.

Double post auto-merged: July 03, 2014, 01:55:18 PM

Quote from: Eri on July 03, 2014, 07:58:32 AM
I am glad my girl is getting some love finally she deserves it !!! She has been nothing but a good wife and and a good Royal all this Years go Cam !!!  :Jen:

She was sure not a good wife to Andrew Parker Bowles and I doubt she would have pursued Charles if he had been merely Charles Jones. The woman manipulated and slept her way to the top.  "Finally" getting love? Eri, what are you talking about? Plenty of sycophants have heaped praise on that woman for years, particularly Charles cronies.

Double post auto-merged: July 03, 2014, 02:00:49 PM

Quote from: Curryong on July 03, 2014, 01:07:00 PM
So, between 1982 and 1992, as Higgins stated in the book 'Forward, Camilla: Her True Story' ' she' (Camilla) 'guided me as to what might be right or wrong, with a clear bias in favour of the man she loved, Prince Charles. I am convinced that our conversations were consistently relayed to St James's Palace, so both the Prince and his most loyal courtiers could monitor the media's knowledge of the relationship...'

Sorry, but for me, that behaviour is being a snake in the grass. Camilla didn't begin this contact with Higgins  after Diana and Charles became estranged, but early in the marriage, in the year of William's birth. Diana was just 21.

Stephen Barry wrote that Charles put in calls to Camilla while he was on honeymoon with Diana at Balmoral.  Charles and Camilla also were meeting up at hunts.

What was creepy is that Charles himself admitted he called Camilla to tell her Diana was pregnant with William. It's as if he was telling her she didn't have much longer to wait, since the heir was coming soon then there would be the spare.

Windsor

She has certainly won my loyalty, love and affection over the years. I remember how strongly I felt about her marrying the Prince of Wales all those years ago. You only have to look at my posts on the matter to see how strongly against I was...

TLLK

Quote from: cinrit on July 03, 2014, 12:20:25 PM

53% say Camilla should be queen consort, while 32% think she should be given a lesser title "out of sensitivity to Diana, the Princess of Wales".

Cindy

Thank you Cindy. The YouGov poll results should be IMO considered an accurate account of how members of the public were feeling about a very wide range of issues when the questions were asked. Next year there may be different results.

TLLK

^^^Windsor when did you realize your opinion toward Camilla was changing?

good221

I did not mean to crate crazy war! just I don't believe this article! clam down it not that serious MOD!!!!!

Windsor

The more I got to know about her, the more I saw her, and the closer I followed her activities. I slowly realised how truly wrong we all were, and how the Duchess was truly a victim of a very spiteful media.

The article posted at the start of this thread isn't a propaganda article at all, it is however an accurate description of how many people have been charmed by the Duchess. I relate very well to the words expressed in the article, as I am one of those people who have gone from disliking her, to actually enjoying her presence, and role within the Monarchy. I look forward to her one day being Crowned Queen alongside the Prince of Wales!

cinrit

I was totally against her, too, at the beginning.  But observing her over the past few years has changed my mind.  I believe she'll make a fine Consort.

Cindy

TLLK

Thank you Windsor and I believe that you have provided a good summary of what many people polled by YouGov might have thought as well.

Eri

I don't get this ... the woman got with Chuck the same time Di was doing Hewitt she didn't break any home it was already destroyed (if it had existed in the first place) she is the victim of a spiteful , nasty media who WANTED to cast her as the evil mistress but we all know better here ... she had handled it all with grace and has never given her side of the story (which I think would have been interesting to say the least) ...

sandy

Eri, I have news. Charles admitted he was involved with Camilla when she was married and before he married Diana. He told this to his authorized biographer Dimbleby. Diana and Hewitt both admitted that 1986 was the date they got involved. Seven years after 1979 when Charles got involved with Camilla. I think he cheated on Diana when he married her knowing he preferred Camilla (he told his biographer of his feelings for Camilla at the time of his marriage). It's all out there Eri. Eri, again what are you talking about? The media has practically raised Camilla to sainthood. There are people bucking for honors after Charles becomes King. I did not see any bad press. Diana gets slammed though and she's dead and can't defend herself. Even you write things about her that are not true and belied by evidence. Camilla was never out of Charles' life really after he married Diana. After Charles got the heir and spare he was through with Diana. The home was destroyed because Charles could not let go of Camilla. The marriage had a fighting chance had there not been  a third party around "for Charles."

Quote from: Windsor on July 03, 2014, 02:46:32 PM
The more I got to know about her, the more I saw her, and the closer I followed her activities. I slowly realised how truly wrong we all were, and how the Duchess was truly a victim of a very spiteful media.

The article posted at the start of this thread isn't a propaganda article at all, it is however an accurate description of how many people have been charmed by the Duchess. I relate very well to the words expressed in the article, as I am one of those people who have gone from disliking her, to actually enjoying her presence, and role within the Monarchy. I look forward to her one day being Crowned Queen alongside the Prince of Wales!

Since Charles made her non-negotiable the articles and books criticizing her have been few and far between.

I respect your opinion but sorry, I don't see the Duchess as a victim. She knew exactly what she was doing and did not suffer any "consequences" in fact she got rewarded. I don't think you should speak for the rest of us. I disagree with your assessment of her for one thing. If you like her fine but I still see the article as propaganda and does not portray the entire story.

Of course she'll be crowned Queen, no doubt about that. I had no doubt even when Charles claimed she'd  be Princess Consort.