Queen under pressure to back Prince Charles

Started by Jennifer, October 30, 2016, 11:54:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

QuoteThe Queen is under immense pressure to be seen to publicly support Prince Charles, despite not wanting to sideline her granddaughters, Princess Beatrice & Princess Eugenie.

This comes after a row between The Prince of Wales and Duke of York. Prince Andrew wants his daughters to carry out public engagements on behalf of the Royal Family, however, Charles wants a more streamlined monarchy so opposes the idea.

A senior member of the Queen's court has revealed to The Mail on Sunday, that Her Majesty should be seen to publicly support the heir to the throne, but privately she agrees with Prince Andrew that the York girls should undertake more royal engagements.

Read more:
Queen under pressure to back Prince Charles, despite not wanting to sideline Princesses Beatrice & Eugenie – Royal Central
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

TLLK

Not an easy situation for anyone in the BRF, but I have to go with Charles on this decision because I believe it will ensure the continuation of the monarchy into the future. It has to be done to rein in the costs of providing transportation, security and staff salaries to support "the Firm." However the reality will be that royal engagements will likely be limited to national and foreign obligations much like the royals in other European nations take on.  Nearly every other European court has a very slimmed down group of working royals. For example the Netherlands divides themselves into those in the royal house: adult working royals (W-A, Maxima, Beatrix, Constantijn and Laurentian) and the  royal family (Beatrix's sisters/brother-in-law, her nephews/nieces and their spouses and the children). Spain's constitution limits who is to undertake these types of engagements: Currently Felipe, Letizia, JC and Sofia. The kings' sisters were sidelined when their brothers' reigns began.

However it is possible that when Charles' reign comes to an end, that William could request some assistance from his cousins if George and Charlotte are too young to perform those duties at that point in time.

Eri

Chuck is my man but NO ... first he should sort his lazy sons and daughter in law out before asking any other ROYAL to step down in their favor Phil does more than those three useless 30 years olds combined ... so what gives? He will need The Yorks given how Will and Harry are ... and given his logic does this mean Harry and his eventual children will not be needed in the near future and he can live in Africa like we all know he dreams to?  :hmm:

Duch_Luver_4ever

The only issue I have with it, is that at this point who is actually the sovereign??? If the Queen wouldnt do it, then it shouldnt be done, if shes just going to rubber stamp Charles opinions, she may as well step down (as much as I loathe the idea of him ruling).

I think Charles is doing this more to spite Andrew than concern for the finances of the realm. It seems bad form to have one grow up in the royal orbit, expecting a certain life, im sure growing up, they had to live up to royal standards, and now theyre being chucked out. (I have no particular feelings one way or the other in regards to the girls).

"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

SophieChloe

Get rid of the bleeding lot of them.  All (IMO) are a utter waste of money and space.  Ponces galore. 
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

Duch_Luver_4ever

What "gives" with Phil is that his position as comfortable royal has never been in doubt, so its easy to show up for the system that butters your bread. Also a lot of the "engagements" are lame plaque ceremonies that are seen by few and imspire even less. W&K&H may do fewer of those, but they are also much more effective in raising awareness for their charities and promoting the family, so theres a bang for the buck factor that just pure CC numbers dont show.

I think what youre seeing in the young royals vs old royals is what youre seeing in the larger world economy, in Philips day you could reliably expect to work for life at one employer and be well taken care of. Now you can be downsized in a flash and its hared and harder to get by. If B&E are going to be turfed out on a whim, why should they bust their gut for a "firm" that seems bent on downsizing?
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

TLLK

"I think what youre seeing in the young royals vs old royals is what youre seeing in the larger world economy, in Philips day you could reliably expect to work for life at one employer and be well taken care of. Now you can be downsized in a flash and its hared and harder to get by. If B&E are going to be turfed out on a whim, why should they bust their gut for a "firm" that seems bent on downsizing?"

Very good point @Duch_Luver_4ever -In many ways I find that the BRF are firmly set in an operating mode that is very much from the past. To continue sustaining the current model is highly impractical IMHO.  QEII's European peers and their respective governments have taken the steps to ensure a manageable sized core group of royals who are the nation's official representatives. Typically that includes monarch/consort, adult heir/spouse and on some occasions the monarch's siblings. The rest of the family members make the occasional appearance at national day celebrations or at family events (funerals, weddings, christenings, jubilees.)Speculation is that the group will one day include Charles/Camilla, William/Kate, Harry/? and eventually George/Charlotte. I would sincerely hope that Charles continues to have Anne, yes even Andrew, Edward and Sophie be included as long as they wish to be and if the funding is available.

Every year at the annual balcony appearance there are the exclamations that the public is funding everyone from QEII all the way down to Lady Helen Taylor's youngest daughter. There is a misconception that somehow all of them are part of the "working" pool of royals.

sandy

The trouble is I don't think Charles thinks things through plus I don't think his motives are "noble." I think there is no love lost between him and his brothers, especially Andrew. I think he is being petty. Charles and Camilla are not getting any younger and Camilla has had some health issues where she was forced to curtail tours with Charles. So that means they will need help. Logically, his sons and daughter in law should take up the slack. But William is showing no signs of giving up playing normal at the ambulance base and stepping up duties. Kate is lazy IMO. And Harry has not stepped up duties. So if Charles has these issues, who is going to take up the slack. Anne is industrious but she is in her sixties now. If Bea and Eugenie want to work, why not? If they pull their weight, why not? They could be given duties and the outcomes reviewed of these appearances.

Eri

^ I agree ... besides the fact he needs to sort Will , Kate and Harry out before he pulls in his weight about Andrew and his daughters even if Will , Kate and Harry were the most hard working Royals out there they can't so it all and with C&C getting older and George and Charlotte being very young The Yorks will be needed ... The Queen having her cousins work might not be a popular thing but it happens because they are NEEDED as she and her immediate family can't do it all ... more so Chuck's which is a smaller family of 5 working (and I use that term loosely when it comes to the useless three) Royals ...