Is Kate a Role Model?

Started by PrincessOfPeace, April 23, 2014, 04:24:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HistoryGirl

And some are just making observations. There's nothing wrong with being thin. It's nothing to be ashamed of. Why would anyone deny that Kate's lost weight? It's nothing to feel bad about at all and it's not always a sign of trouble, just a sign that that person wants to be at that particular weight. I think making observations and making accusations are two very different things.

Double post auto-merged: July 02, 2014, 06:00:15 PM

Quote from: cinrit on July 02, 2014, 05:55:24 PM
Quote from: HistoryGirl on July 02, 2014, 05:45:00 PM
I never claimed she was bulimic or had any other eating disorder or that her weight loss meant that she was in the midst of any type of break down. I just said that she actively tries to lose weight like many women in the world especially ones that are in the public eye. You made the argument of it being hurtful to people that are naturally thin, I agreed. But that is not the weight that Kate was prior to the engagement so to me that is not her "natural" weight. If that is the weight she wants to be, then that is her choice. However, this is a thread about her as a role model and to me it is better to be your natural weight whether you're a hundred pounds or 200.

Some may be totally cool with women feeling pressure to be thinner and to work towards that goal weight and I've no problem with it cause it's a personal choice. I was just saying that people commenting on being worried about her weight aren't insane because it's obvious she works to be that weight. Now your opinion on her losing weight is your own, but the observation that she's lost weight is not wrong. 

I didn't mean to imply that anyone said she is bulimic.  I meant to imply that after Diana's problem, the Royals would be quick to notice a drastic weight loss (for whatever reason), and act on it.

I made the argument that it is hurtful to me when people make comments about thinness.  I didn't say it or mean it for anyone else.  I just said I know how it feels.  And it is hurtful.  I ask again, would you make comments about someone who, in your opinion, gained more weight than you think they should? 

Cindy

No I would not shame them because someone's weight doesn't mean anything to me. But if one day someone gained or lost weight I would make the observation that they had to myself. Would that mean that I think any less of it? Not one bit because what you weigh doesn't make you a good or a bad person. I barely weigh a hundred pounds and im 21 years old, and people comment on it all the time, I don't judge them because they are simply making an observation.

Rebound

She has lost weight--nobody's saying she hasn't.

Saying that Kate intentionally lost 20 lbs is different from saying it happened naturally.

I also weighed 100 lbs. when I was 21. Boy, did that change! I didn't intend to gain weight--it happened over the years.

I'm just saying that Kate might not have intended to lose weight. Eating habits change, exercise habits change, metabolism changes, and bodies change. It usually isn't intentional.

You only have to look at the Queen and Camilla to know that bodies change over time.

And let's not talk about sagging, OK?!

HistoryGirl

In the course of months prior to the engagement, someone's going to randomly lose 20 pounds? actively changing your diet and exercise is actively trying to be a certain weight. Again, there's not even one thing wrong with that. If she's happy then in my opinion no one has a right to have a problem with that, but personally i dont think she just naturally lost weight by not changing something in her life to actively be the weight she is. It's just baffling to me how someone can have a problem with making that observation as if the woman has committed a crime by wanting to lose weight. It's not shaming, in fact, many women might admire her for it and likewise others might not.

cinrit

It's not at all uncommon for women to lose weight before your wedding, and not necessarily because they try to.  Kate did lose weight, but deliberately?  In my opinion, no.  And where did the 20 pounds come from?  Did someone in the know (e.g., her doctor, her family, William) give out that information?

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

HistoryGirl

No it was reported. I don't think anyone here actually knows Kate, William, or Harry so as far as I can tell, everything on here comes from reports in the media. I made an observation based on what I've seen and read. The same as you've made an opinion based on the same thing. I made an observation and came to a conclusion based on trends that I've read about with women in the media and common behavior from women I know. That's the way I tend to analyze information and my opinion isn't any less right than yours simply because you disagree with it.

cinrit

^^ I think you misread my question.  I asked if someone "in the know" reported the 20-pound weight loss.  By that I meant, as explained, her doctor or her family or William ... someone with inside information who would actually know.  Or was it an unnamed source?

Cindy

HistoryGirl

No believe me, I understood your question; but I'm not going to begin this conversation since I know exactly where it would end up after seeing it many times in the forum and I promised myself I wouldn't engage.

Eri

I think the Royals are happy to have someone with no personality and no real charisma who won't outshine Willy ... that way WHEN they divorce no one will care as much as when Di left ...

HistoryGirl

Kate does seem to be cautious and eager to please which must sit well with the monarchy because I agree, other spouses' big personalities haven't seemed to go over well.

sandy

The Queen Mum was very charismatic, she managed to stay in the game and was not "dull".

Quote from: Eri on July 02, 2014, 08:10:23 PM
I think the Royals are happy to have someone with no personality and no real charisma who won't outshine Willy ... that way WHEN they divorce no one will care as much as when Di left ...

William seems to have an aversion to full time royal duties so I am not so sure he would mind if he were "outshone" or even if his spouse did more duties.

Limabeany

She's no Di, so, IMO, her departure would hardly be an issue...
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

HistoryGirl

Quote from: sandy on July 02, 2014, 08:22:30 PM
The Queen Mum was very charismatic, she managed to stay in the game and was not "dull".

William seems to have an aversion to full time royal duties so I am not so sure he would mind if he were "outshone" or even if his spouse did more duties.

I agree she was pretty cheeky, but also lived before Diana and Kate and didnt have to live under the media scrutiny that we have today.

Eri

I think the Royals got burned very badly hen Di used her popularity against them and there is no way it is going to be allowed again ... they are happy because in Kate as I said they have someone who will never be beloved so when they get rid of her (and trust me they will) they are happy in the knowledge it's not going to matter as much as it did in the past because of the spouses popularity ...

HistoryGirl

You know, it's interesting that prior to the wedding the general media were very excited about a middle class princess and her popularity was very high because they tried to appeal to the "see, she's one of us" mentality even though she'd been dubbed Waity Katie prior to the engagement. And now the wind has changed and there are complaints about her work ethic. It's interesting to discuss the possibilities of why this has all happened and whether the RF had anything to do with it.

Rebound

^^Many people on the forum predicted the press would turn on Kate.

The press doesn't really care as long as it isn't illegal, as long as it sells, they'll do it. Up, then down.

I predict it will happen to Harry, Harry's wife, Kate, William, George, Charles, Camilla.......You heard it here!  :angeldevil1:

Eri

Quote from: HistoryGirl on July 02, 2014, 08:39:56 PM
You know, it's interesting that prior to the wedding the general media were very excited about a middle class princess and her popularity was very high because they tried to appeal to the "see, she's one of us" mentality even though she'd been dubbed Waity Katie prior to the engagement. And now the wind has changed and there are complaints about her work ethic. It's interesting to discuss the possibilities of why this has all happened and whether the RF had anything to do with it.
There is a difference between the press loving you and the public loving you ... Kate has never been loved by the public it's only the press that had a love story with her and they have turned on her because that's the "mode" they sense among the public besides that she again is no Di she is boring and she certainly doesn't sell papers ... but you raise a good question regarding where the Royals stand in all of this ...

cate1949

they presented her (the media) as a middle class girl when in fact she was not really middle class.  Girsl who go to Marlborough are not middle class.
Is the disenchantment because people now see that the media sold a fake story?  That Kate was no typical middle class Brit girl?

There are those people on the extreme ends - they either love Kate no matter what or they dislike her no matter what - but most people seem fairly apathetic to me.  She does not do anything terribly interesting so they have no interest either.  The hyperbole of the press - especially the DM - is a turn off too.  They (the DM) do this with Bea and Eugenie too - the York girls go to a party and they must of a necessity be the most gorgeous most captivating most stylish women there.  Too much hype - I wonder if it isn't meant sarcastically.

As for the role of the RF - I see little evidence they are really in control of their "messaging" or for that matter that they have some sort of concrete message.  Their pr people seem more to react to criticism than be proactive in shaping their message to the public.  They seem to rely almost totally on the media - the tabloids especially - to communicate with the public yet their relationship with the media goes up and down - they antagonize the media routinely.  So it is hard for me to think the RF really has a role - individual members of the family I am sure leak and play one-upmanship games using the media to advance their own positions but a comprehensive plan - see no evidence of that.

HistoryGirl

I've always wondered what the Daily Mail are all about. Maybe it's that different writers feel different ways or that they just go with whatever view of Kate they think will sell more papers that particular day.

cinrit

The Daily Mail is unsurpassed for pictures.  That's about the best I can say about it. :P

Cindy

Limabeany

Quote from: HistoryGirl on July 02, 2014, 06:21:20 PM
In the course of months prior to the engagement, someone's going to randomly lose 20 pounds? actively changing your diet and exercise is actively trying to be a certain weight. Again, there's not even one thing wrong with that. If she's happy then in my opinion no one has a right to have a problem with that, but personally i dont think she just naturally lost weight by not changing something in her life to actively be the weight she is. It's just baffling to me how someone can have a problem with making that observation as if the woman has committed a crime by wanting to lose weight. It's not shaming, in fact, many women might admire her for it and likewise others might not.
:goodpost: I agree with this, you do not go from a bit full to showing muscle and bones without much effort and some may think dedication to this goal admirable, others may not find it so. I personally, from observation, am quite certain her weight loss is not natural but achieved and maintained with considerable effort, we all have our priorities and define them as we see fit both the subjects of our discussions and ourselves... Being a woman with a body that grows when I overeat and shrinks when I do not, and considering the way she looks now and even during the wedding and a few months before, I don't believe Kate Middleton's weight loss can be reasonably classified as random. There is nothing wrong with discussing that...  :hug:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Limabeany

Quote from: HistoryGirl on July 02, 2014, 11:14:34 PM
I've always wondered what the Daily Mail are all about. Maybe it's that different writers feel different ways or that they just go with whatever view of Kate they think will sell more papers that particular day.
I have wondered too, the articles range from fawning to critical and it is baffling to say the least...  :hmm:

sandy

Quote from: Eri on July 02, 2014, 08:34:43 PM
I think the Royals got burned very badly hen Di used her popularity against them and there is no way it is going to be allowed again ... they are happy because in Kate as I said they have someone who will never be beloved so when they get rid of her (and trust me they will) they are happy in the knowledge it's not going to matter as much as it did in the past because of the spouses popularity ...

If Charles had dumped Camilla I doubt Diana would have struck back. She put up with the marriage for 10 years along with Charles emotional abuse. The royals are not exactly squeaky clean. Unless William finds  a Camilla of his own, it will be difficult to get rid of Kate. If Will finds another woman Kate will find she's not indispensable like Diana found out. The royals cannot control everything like they found out and if another  situation happens they may not necessarily be able to stop it. It all went out of control after Charles decided it was OK to sleep with married women or maybe before that with the scandals of the Queen's sister Margaret. The Queen could not stop it.

HistoryGirl

Quote from: Limabeany on July 02, 2014, 11:57:01 PM
Quote from: HistoryGirl on July 02, 2014, 06:21:20 PM
:goodpost: I agree with this, you do not go from a bit full to showing muscle and bones without much effort and some may think dedication to this goal admirable, others may not find it so. I personally, from observation, am quite certain her weight loss is not natural but achieved and maintained with considerable effort, we all have our priorities and define them as we see fit both the subjects of our discussions and ourselves... Being a woman with a body that grows when I overeat and shrinks when I do not, and considering the way she looks now and even during the wedding and a few months before, I don't believe Kate Middleton's weight loss can be reasonably classified as random. There is nothing wrong with discussing that...  :hug:

Thanks for understanding my point Limabeany :)

Limabeany

cate1949

oh please - if anyone here knows the secret to losing 20 pounds without making an effort to do so - please please share the secret !!! 

the dress had to be taken in - Burton said that in an interview.  Besides which - it is so obvious - pics of before and after??  Can't miss the change especially in her face.

I don't get the expectation that any person - Kate or whoever - is perfect.  Nothing at all can be said and even observations are considered criticisms Because Kate is perfect. 

I have a friend who was very overweight - went on a medically supervised fast - 500 calories a day.  First week she lost 7 pounds - on 500 calories a day.  It is not so easy to lose weight.