Is Kate a Role Model?

Started by PrincessOfPeace, April 23, 2014, 04:24:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XeniaCasaraghi

If I was going to choose a princess to be a role model I would choose Princess Mary from the little that I know. Learning a new language alone is admirable. The media sells lies, this idea of little commoner/Cinderella Kate being swept away by her rich prince charming is a load of bull. I believe they did the same with Diana, building up the Cinderella image and skirting over that this was a rich girl. In documentaries about Kate and William they always focus on her being descended from coal miners; yeah that's only one side of the family. Her family is nouveau rich but they are still rich.
I like Kate, I support her and hope she lives a long happy life with her family.  But she hasn't done anything for me to call her a real role model. Millions of girls meet a guy in college, live with him and end up married. I guess women who aspire to be home makers could call her a role model; or women who are wives of military men.

Curryong

The Danish royals don't have as many official engagements to share around as some other royal families, but certainly Crown Princess Mary does her share willingly and well, IMO.

According to another Royal Forum she and Prince Fred are unhappy together and he has been unfaithful, reportedly. If that's true then she has had a difficult path to walk in her adopted country. I agree, learning another language well enough to converse in it and make speeches is a great accomplishment, and JMO, I don't think Danish would be an easy language to learn.

I will be interested to see what sort of a Queen Consort Letizia makes, actually. She is accomplished and bright, and Spain is a very complex country. So far, as Princess she doesn't seem to have put a foot wrong, and she and Felipe seem genuinely rapt in each other which always helps.

Eri

Quote from: XeniaCasaraghi on July 03, 2014, 02:20:46 AM
If I was going to choose a princess to be a role model I would choose Princess Mary from the little that I know. Learning a new language alone is admirable. The media sells lies, this idea of little commoner/Cinderella Kate being swept away by her rich prince charming is a load of bull. I believe they did the same with Diana, building up the Cinderella image and skirting over that this was a rich girl. In documentaries about Kate and William they always focus on her being descended from coal miners; yeah that's only one side of the family. Her family is nouveau rich but they are still rich.
I like Kate, I support her and hope she lives a long happy life with her family.  But she hasn't done anything for me to call her a real role model. Millions of girls meet a guy in college, live with him and end up married. I guess women who aspire to be home makers could call her a role model; or women who are wives of military men.
I feel the same about her ... mostly Kate doesn't bother me as I blame the mother about the way she is it's her fans and the media that rally bother me ... especially some of her most nasty fans who turned on Cressida because they saw a threat for Kate there ...

cinrit

Quote from: cate1949 on July 03, 2014, 01:56:49 AM
I have a friend who was very overweight - went on a medically supervised fast - 500 calories a day.  First week she lost 7 pounds - on 500 calories a day.  It is not so easy to lose weight. 

Actually, that's not so.  Some people can lose weight at the drop of a hat, and it's as frustrating to them as it is to those who can gain weight at the drop of a hat.

And I'm not buying the 20-pound loss unless I see it from someone official.  Twenty pounds is a lot, and we'd have heard about it far and wide if it were accurate.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Eri

I don't get why anyone would see any of the girls we talk about here from Cressida , Kate to Chelsy as a "role model" sure you can like their new hair cut or what they are wearing but none of those girl I repeat none  has done anything note worthy to be taken as a "role model" ...

sandy

Quote from: Eri on July 03, 2014, 07:48:00 AM
I feel the same about her ... mostly Kate doesn't bother me as I blame the mother about the way she is it's her fans and the media that rally bother me ... especially some of her most nasty fans who turned on Cressida because they saw a threat for Kate there ...

Cressida would never have been a threat to kate had she married Harry.  Kate is higher up in the pecking order. Whoever Harry marries will be the "Fergie" of the scenario, the wife of the spare.

KaTerina Montague

I don't view Kate as a role model but info admire her. I wonder if that is something people are confusing, admiration with having someone be your role model. It is true that in this day and age with Lohan's and Kardashian's running around, a simple girl who is pretty respectful discreet isn't obsessed with taking selfies and can get out if a car without showing her undergarments could be seen as a role model. Perhaps to some Kate's accomplishments aren't on a work or career level but are more personal and in how she carries herself. Maybe how she carries herself under stress could inspire some people, like how she never let on her pain when those pictures were released.
To be honest what royal women in the BRF are role models? They are all famous do either being born or for who they married, Kate is just the latest addition. England chooses to have a system that rewards people for nothing except being born, you want accomplishments to be admired over being pretty and getting married? Then you have a problem with the system.

Trudie

Quote from: Eri on July 03, 2014, 01:02:52 PM
I don't get why anyone would see any of the girls we talk about here from Cressida , Kate to Chelsy as a "role model" sure you can like their new hair cut or what they are wearing but none of those girl I repeat none  has done anything note worthy to be taken as a "role model" ...

Really I would choose Chelsy as a role model she earned her degrees broke up with Harry and is a working Lawyer she did not hold out for a ring and let that be known. Chelsy loved Harry but not the royal life

DaisyMae

The media sells lies, this idea of little commoner/Cinderella Kate being swept away by her rich prince charming is a load of bull. I believe they did the same with Diana, building up the Cinderella image and skirting over that this was a rich girl. In documentaries about Kate and William they always focus on her being descended from coal miners; yeah that's only one side of the family. Her family is nouveau rich but they are still rich.

This is so true the media worked overtime to sell the public the rags to riches story, but Kate actually has very powerful connections, another reason the marriage was arranged.  :orchid:

Eri

If anything Kate is a dangerous figure especially the press's relationship with her ... here they had a lap dog who for Years took a man back with open arms as he tried to do better ... yet they worshiped or hated on her according to how her relationship with Willy was going ... now I have no daughter and perhaps I will never have one but if I did I would keep her away from Kate's figure ...

Kate

I wonder if there'll come a time, that William looks back and resents the way he was reeled in by Kate. This is my view. Ten years of being there, waiting for his call. Of course once it was public that they had lived together ( off and on?) how could he really cut her loose and come out smelling like a rose? He couldn't. He had that one chance ... when they publicly broke up and he wanted to see if there could be a relationship with Isabella Carthorpe (pardon the spelling error!). At that time, Kate took to the night club scene, showing a little more of herself then the norm. Since any relationship between him and Isabella was a no-go, Kate looked appealing. He didn't give himself enough time to test other possible relationships.
I don't see her as a role model. Queen Noor, Queen Rania, Princess Charlene, Princess Mary, the new Spanish Queen, they all worked and explored and grew, adding more depth and another dimension to their character... ..All IMO....

Rebound

^I don't think he was reeled in. He's a Prince who thinks for himself. He didn't have to go back if he didn't love her, and want to marry her. It wasn't a matter of her just looking appealing. I think he genuinely loves her, and meant the vows he made.

cinrit

Why is it so hard to believe that William loves Kate?  It's harder for me to believe than a man would stay with someone for that many years and then marry her just because he's afraid the public will give him a bad rap.  I'm sure William did find Kate appealing and that's what initially drew him to her.  But people normally do find themselves attracted to someone, and getting to know them, either fall in love with them or not.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Macrobug

I find it interesting that people say he is very stubborn and refuses to do anything he doesn't want to do but that he was manipulated by Kate and married her unwillingly   

A wee bit contradictory IMO
GNU Terry Pratchett

Ladyelena

I didn't know that Prince William was a Trout that he needed reeling in. Must ha been a whopper.

Kate

By all means he is more then comfortable with his wife and especially since the arrival of George. This is now... but during the 10 Kate waited for those phone calls she could have done something to make her more appealing to the public then doing what I see as nothing. She could have done many things, but she didn't want to do something that would take her from Williams space. She didn't want him to meet up with any other young lady. She also gave up any girl friends she had at that time.. Her whole focus was on "getting him", IMO.
For the person who made the comment about how awful The York sisters are to Kate... perhaps rereading some of the articles find the one, where Kate , at some function, had Beatrice in tears in a washroom. I feel that The York sisters are a little naive in some ways whereas I don't think that Kate and Pippa are ..
Speaking for any of her friends, just who are they? Perhaps the wives of Williams close friends, but certainly not The Royal young set..or even the outer circle, like The Branson's and their friends...Anyway , Not a Kate fan, but with George and other siblings to come, I'm sure she'll be a good Mom

Eri

I think whatever "romantic" feelings he had for Kate dies when they left Uni and it showed because that is when the relationship began to have serious problems who came to a head in 2007 when he dumped her ... of course I can only speculate because I don't know him but I think two factors made him go back to Kate's  waiting open arms the fact no one else wanted him and yes the fact he got the worse press of his life when they broke up helped ... I do think he loves Kate but not as a husband should love his wife you could see it in the balcony where she was naked for God sake and he looked like he was with his dog there patting her  :eyes: ... looking bored to death  :teehee: ...

HistoryGirl

Idk if William is in love with Kate or not, but somehow I find it hard to believe that no one would want a prince.

Canuck

I have never understood this "Will went back to Kate because no one else wanted him" theory.  They were broken up for all of three months, and obviously he wasn't feeling pressure to get married immediately since they waited several more years before doing so.  If he had wanted to look for another woman, he could have taken quite a bit more time to do so.

HistoryGirl

I agree. He probably needed time off like a lot of ppl , but that doesn't mean he didnt love her...now the depth of his love is something I can't even begin to speculate about.

Jenee

Quote from: Lauraxx on July 01, 2014, 02:56:37 AM
Women should aspire to be strong, independent, and live their lives not relying on their husband to provide for them. They should never aspire to be painstakingly thin- and kate most definitely has got thinner since getting married if she keeps it up she'll be anorexic!
It would be hard to form an opinion on her personality if you don't know her personally but she seems like a nice person. It is clear she is a loving wife and devoted mother and that's great but ( in my opinion ) she is not a woman that the younger generation of women today should have as a role model. Of course, like everyone else, she isn't perfect and nobody can be!

Very well said!!!
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

XeniaCasaraghi

Lmao! These theories never cease to make me laugh. Whatever happened in those ten years we will never truly know. What is clear is he perused her at college and he was the one who wanted her back after the 5 minute break up. He went after what he wanted and he wanted her.

Eri

Quote from: HistoryGirl on July 19, 2014, 08:41:34 PM
Idk if William is in love with Kate or not, but somehow I find it hard to believe that no one would want a prince.
Well just ask Harry ...

Jenee

Hey history girl some people prefer the simple life, and that of a Prince is anything but!
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

HistoryGirl

I have no doubt that some ppl prefer the simple life, but to make the assumption that no one would want William and Harry is not something I can believe because there are plenty of girls that do want to be princesses.