The Ascension of King Charles III and Queen Camilla

Started by Macrobug67, September 08, 2022, 07:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

The poll which was authorized by the Daily Express was conducted by polling company Savanta ComRes in recent days.

Savanta ComRes

QuoteSavanta ComRes interviewed 2,351 UK adults aged 18+ online on 16 - 18 September 2022.

The results of this poll are similar to those in the YouGov poll taken within a couple of days into KCIII's reign.
Britons? first impressions of King Charles III | YouGov

I do recognize that this is a "honeymoon phase" for the new king and from what I recollect of the recent ascensions, it's typical to see a swelling of support when most new reigns begin. We'll have to see how things go forward in the coming months.

As most of Europe's monarchies have limited their number of official representatives of the monarchy to a small number through their constitution or the monarch's personal decree. I expect that in the coming weeks or months that an official announcement will be made to clarify the position of KCIII. I expect that the Kent siblings will retire and quite possibly the Gloucesters. I also believe that there is a good possibility that KCIII will issue new Letters Patent regarding styles and titles for his descendants as well as the Wessexes.

wannable

It's a British owned survey company with offices in Westminster, Brussels and Shanghai.

The company accuracy is rated at 87% (which is very good).

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on September 21, 2022, 01:03:36 PM
It's a British owned survey company with offices in Westminster, Brussels and Shanghai.

The company accuracy is rated at 87% (which is very good).

Yes, Charles has made a good start, largely on a huge wave of goodwill, admiration and sentiment towards his dead mother. However, he is a very different character to Elizabeth, and we will see, as I said in a post here in the last fortnight, as to whether these high figures will survive in the months following Charles?s Coronation, and all the years afterwards of this reign. I have grave doubts, myself.

LouisFerdinand

Curryong

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on October 18, 2022, 08:39:59 PM
What will King Charles III's era be called?   
What will King Charles III's era be called? - YouTube

Traditionally the reigns of British Kings named Charles have been christened the Carolean era. However, nobody knows what this Charles?s reign will be called. It?s only just begun. There may be some defining moment in the future that will suggest a name.

TLLK

Please continue  the discussion of the Counsellors of State in the Politics of Monarchy and Republic forum.

TLLK

The first commissioned portrait of KCIII is unveiled.

First official portrait of Charles III is unveiled: King wears bracelet from indigenous leader | Daily Mail Online

QuoteWearing a suit and a bracelet given to him by an indigenous Amazon leader, this is the first official portrait released of King Charles III.

And in a touching nod to his late mother it was painted in oils by artist Alastair Barford, a former QEST - Queen Elizabeth Scholarship Trust - scholar.

It was commissioned by the Illustrated London News and will feature on the front cover of its special Coronation Edition.

The artist had just two weeks to complete the project.

While His Majesty did not sit for the portrait, Alastair was able to study him at work at a Buckingham Palace reception in February held in support of global biodiversity, working from his photographs and sketches of the occasion.

Curryong

Quote from: TLLK on March 31, 2023, 01:01:59 PM
New regimental badges for the Armed Forces have KCIII's cypher now.

https://www.army.mod.uk/news-and-events/news/2023/03/his-majesty-the-kings-coronation-heralds-new-era-for-british-army-cap-badges/

That is really an historic moment, as is the move from ERII in all courts (which operate in the sovereign?s name) and Govt offices, to CRIII. It?s akin to what people must have felt in the first year of the reign of Edward VII after Victoria died. Seemingly small things like singing ?God Save the King? instead of ?Queen?. Small but highly symbolic.

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: Curryong on March 31, 2023, 06:06:27 PM
That is really an historic moment, as is the move from ERII in all courts (which operate in the sovereign?s name) and Govt offices, to CRIII. It?s akin to what people must have felt in the first year of the reign of Edward VII after Victoria died. Seemingly small things like singing ?God Save the King? instead of ?Queen?. Small but highly symbolic.
I was thinking the same thing. I've also wondered about the cost in time for changing all those badges! And the mailboxes!

wannable

The Royal Family
@royalfamily

While Prince Charles was too young to record his experiences of his mother's Coronation, other members of The Royal Family have written their recollections of such events.

In 1937, a young Princess Elizabeth wrote an account of her parents' Coronation:

Some more in past royals thread.

TLLK

First British passports issued in the name of King Charles III ? Royal Central

QuoteThe first British passports in the name of King Charles III have been issued, the government has announced.

The last time a king?s name appeared on passports was in 1952 as the reign of King George VI ended.

A slow process to change, in 2023, the government noted that five million passports have already been issued in the name of the late Queen Elizabeth II.

The UK government decided, as with the case of stamps and money, to use up existing supplies before issuing any new items in the name of King Charles III.

New passports will now say: ?His Britannic Majesty?s Secretary of State requests and requires in the name of His Majesty??

Home Secretary Suella Braverman shared the news, saying: ?For 70 years, Her Majesty has appeared on British passports and many of us will not remember a time when she did not feature. Today marks a significant moment in UK history.?

Any existing passports issued in the name of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will continue to be valid until their expiration, the government further shared.

Canada unveiled its own new passport design in May, the first in the Commonwealth to mention King Charles III: his name is mentioned on the second page of Canadian passports.

sara8150

Charles and Camilla -General Chat
See 203

Why King Charles Doesn't Need a Passport ? and Neither Did Elizabeth
Same late Queen Elizabeth didn?t use passport when Queen Elizabeth travel world when Queen Elizabeth become sovereign in 1952 but King Charles follow his mother?s example when King Charles become sovereign last May 6 respectively

First Passports Bearing King Charles' Name Unveiled

First British passports issued in the name of King Charles III ? Royal Central

TLLK

Buckingham Palace has been slowly editing and making changes to the official  British Monarchy website in the months since the death of Queen Elizabeth II.

Here's the link to the official site. https://www.royal.uk/

The Daily Express noted 74 errors on the website since September 8, 2022.

Prince Harry called HRH on Royal Family's official website despite banning it after Megxit | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

QuoteThe late Queen Elizabeth II is referred to as monarch at least 74 times on the Royal Family's official website, other royals are called by their former titles and Prince Harry is called His Royal Highness - despite the infamous Megxit agreement of 2020 stating that he would no longer be addressed as such.

On eight occasions, King Charles - who has been monarch for almost a year - is called the Prince of Wales and his wife Queen Camilla is referred to as the Duchess of Cornwall four times.

Prince William and Kate are also called the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge three times. While this is technically correct, as William and Kate do still hold these titles, they became the Prince and Princess of Wales last September and are now primarily referred to as this - as is reflected in their updated individual pages on the website.

Eighteen pages across the leading website, which promises ?to provide an authoritative resource of information?, are factually wrong. Though there may well be more articles across the site that the Express has not yet uncovered.

Royal commentator Afua Hagan has branded the website as ?massively disappointing? and urged the Palace to make the appropriate changes.

It appears that the Daily Express article has prompted some action. Changes were made to reflect the new titles as well as the official residences/offices of the King and Queen as well as the Prince and Princess of Wales.
Prince Harry?s title quietly changed on Royal Family website following blunder | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

wannable

Weird change. 

I thought the Sussexes are HRH, just not use it.

TLLK

@wannable -As far as I know they and the Duke of York are still "HRH" privately, but do not use it.

PrincessOfPeace

Quote from: TLLK on August 08, 2023, 08:23:54 PM
@wannable -As far as I know they and the Duke of York are still "HRH" privately, but do not use it.

I'm not sure that means very much in the practical sense. They can't use HRH in front of their name, which is kind of the whole point imo.

wannable

I'm not sure why it would be taken down from the BRF official website?! They are HRH - you don't take it down - the couple were officially told ONLY to not use it.

TLLK

I'm not sure if this was pointed out before, but the BRF appear to have received the Coronation medal for King Charles III.
Prince William is wearing his at the white tie wedding reception of Crown Prince Hussein and Princess Rajwa of Jordan.
It's the fourth medal on his coat.

https://twitter.com/Gertsroyals/status/1664595097915211778

QuotePrince William is wearing his King Charles Coronation Medal for the first time (in miniature). It?s the 4th medal on the end after his 3 Jubilee medals from Queen Elizabeth.

We didn?t see the Royals wearing it during the Coronation events. So, I believe he is the first British Royal wearing it.

wannable

King Charles first year on the throne: was it a success
The monarch wants continuity, not radical change and will leave reform to Prince William.

In her explosive Panorama interview in 1995, the biggest bomb that Diana, Princess of Wales, dropped was not her comment that there were ''three of us in this marriage, so it was a bit crowded''.

It was her scepticism that her husband at the time was fit to be King.
Almost a year into the top job, there is quiet satisfaction in the court of King Charles III that Diana who said he would find the job too ''demanding// and ''suffocating''?has been proven wrong.

Roya Nikkhah
Royal Editor
Saturday August 19 2023, 6.00pm BST, The Sunday Times

The pay per view article is very very long about what C has done, what he is doing and what he will be doing long term. The radical changes will be done by W.

wannable

David Torrance
@davidtorrance
@CommonsLibrary Clerk covering N. Ireland, Wales, Scotland & monarchy
Researcher at @UniWestminster

I've just published another new @commonslibrary briefing paper, this time on the first year of the reign of King Charles III: focus is on the main constitutional and ceremonial events of the past 12 months; a sort of ''year in the life'' of the UK monarchy: https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-9627/

^ Great.  I like how this clerk writes.  Superb for commons library.

Curryong

He?s an historian, writer and a journalist. I remember he wrote a paper for the Commons Library on the devolution of Wales after it happened. As well as a bio (as author not Commons historian) on Alex Salmond, the ex SNP leader.

wannable

^ I will and am interested in reading more from him. Thank you.

The Gazette is also doing the one year of HMKCIII special, hardcover book

The Gazette
@TheGazetteUK
Exploring the coronations, honours and emblems of the British monarchy, from the demise of King Charles II in 1685, through to the accession of King Charles III, #SuccessionToTheCrown

Curryong

Now that sounds very very interesting. I?d be interested, as an incorrigible history buff, in purchasing that book.

wannable

Rebecca English
@RE_DailyMail
Tonight the Duke of York and the Duke of Edinburgh attended St George's Chapel at Windsor for a special evensong marking King Charles's accession to the throne.
Photography was not permitted at the event.

evensong: (in the Christian Church) a service of evening prayers, psalms, and canticles, conducted according to a set form, especially that of the Anglican Church.