The Wessexes Foreign Offiical Visits and Tours

Started by TLLK, April 18, 2019, 11:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Clover

Sophie will probably enjoy the time away from England.

wannable

It's a cherry topping on the cake moment.  A very nice gesture and well done to honour the trust. 

Her Royal Highness The Countess of Wessex, Vice Patron of The Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee Trust, will visit India in her final overseas tour as Vice-Patron ahead of the Trusts planned closure in January 2020.

I wonder why the trust will be closed.  (I know worldwide has been quite hard in the past 5 years for ALL charities, many have gone into administration, others with the same theme have merged, with the Brexit situation...)

The official website of the Diamond Jubilee Trust
Enriching lives across the | The Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee Trust

The Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee Trust is a charitable foundation with a mission to leave a lasting legacy, owned by the whole Commonwealth, in honour of Her Majesty The Queen.

Blue Clover

TLLK

Sophie Wessex's relives emotional experiences at premature baby unit in India | HELLO!

QuoteThe Countess of Wessex kicked off her tour of India with The Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee Trust as she visited a number of hospitals in Hyderabad. This trip marks Sophie's last international tour as Vice Patron of the trust, as the time-limited charity's projects are due to wrap up early next year.

Throughout her tour, the Countess will visit hospitals in Hyderabad, Mumbai and New Delhi between Monday 29 April and Friday 3 May. As she travels across the country, Sophie will see first-hand the work that the trust has supported in preventing premature babies from losing their sight due to Retinopathy of Prematurity, an entirely avoidable form of blindness in newborn and the leading cause of childhood blindness worldwide.

A long-time supporter of the trust, the cause is one particularly close to Sophie's heart, as her 15-year-old daughter with Prince Edward, Lady Louise, was born prematurely and with a severe squint. Over the years, Sophie has supported a number of blindness prevention charities and is a global ambassador for the International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness.

Curryong

I'm sure that Sophie relives parts of Louise's traumatic birth every time she visits wards which contain prem babies and babies with health conditions. I've just received an email from my Canadian friend, who was born premature, with German measles and with the same eye condition as Louise. What a terribly worrying time the parents of these babies have, and you can see that Sophie is deeply engaged when she visits, and holds these tiny beings.

Princess Cassandra

It must be a bit like PTSD, or maybe a lot like it. I know she was lying on the floor by the time help reached her, and she was unable to hold her baby while baby was being treated and she herself was in recovery after a severe loss of blood and a difficult birth. That and seeing a premature baby again would certainly do it for me. But what a great ambassador she is!

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on January 02, 1970, 07:14:18 PMquote author=Curryong link=topic=90874.msg1452654#msg1452654 date=1556587874]
I'm sure that Sophie relives parts of Louise's traumatic birth every time she visits wards which contain prem babies and babies with health conditions. I've just received an email from my Canadian friend, who was born premature, with German measles and with the same eye condition as Louise. What a terribly worrying time the parents of these babies have, and you can see that Sophie is deeply engaged when she visits, and holds these tiny beings.
a terrible disease
[/quote] Terrible how unborn babies can be affected by these illnesses.

Princess Beatrix youngest sister Princess Christina was affected in a similar way to your friend.

Blue Clover

Quote from: Curryong on April 30, 2019, 01:31:14 AM

Curryong, Yes, I agree. It is also probably therapeutic to some extent to support the Mothers of premature babies and hospital staff.

TLLK

Great photos of Sophie on her second day in India. I really like her bright blue tunic top and loose trousers for today's events. Practical for her engagements today, respectful of the country's traditions and comfortable for the weather. (Wonder if she had a little chat with her sister-in-law Camilla? Camilla frequently opts for these types of outfits in warm weather locations for low key events.)

Sophie Wessex has 'Diana moment' on visit to special care baby unit at Hyderabad hospital in India | Daily Mail Online

Double post auto-merged: May 01, 2019, 05:23:01 AM

Editorial Photos, Celebrity, News, & Sports Images | Rex

Blue Clover

Sophie Wessex meets children and non-profit organisations in Mumbai | Daily Mail Online

Sophie is shining during this tour! She looks engaged and happy. Also, her visits highlight very important issues.

Kate

I have not been on this forum for awhile, but today I am so glad to see that Sophie is getting her dues from the members. She does such excellent works. Living in the Niagara area of Ontario, Sophie has visited this area many many times and is well received especially when there is a historical anniversary, e.g. the war of 1812 etc.. The place where she stays are always happy to know she is coming and put out the red carpet of sorts for her.( I worked there when she first began to come).
NOW, in the meantime and onward, I watch Netflix shows , and I discovered one recently called " The Fall", starring Gillian Anderson (*). Have to tell you I was knocked out in first seeing GA in a scene and couldn't help but see Sophie. Anyone following this story, have you felt the same. IMO, Sophie and Gillian could be sister....
Am happy that Sophie and Edward have had a firm marriage , a family type.. I do admire this branch of the Windsors and have gotten past  Edwards creative and failure of "THE KNOCKOUT"... I also understand that he has his own company, but not quite sure what this company is about. Anyone with solid information? Just curious.  After all is said and done, I feel that this family, Sophie and Edward, Louise and James , are definitely role models on behalf of the Families of the (Current) Monarchy. In faith... Kate

TLLK

@Kate-So glad to see that you posted today. I agree that the Wessexes certainly deserve more accolades. I truly hope that Charles considers retaining them at least for awhile when his reign begins. As his youngerst sibling and his only sister-in-law, I believe that the Wessexes would be a worthy addition to the working royal family during his reign.

Here is an article on Ardent Productions, but be forewarned it's not very flattering.

Ardent Productions - an industry laughing stock | Media | The Guardian

This article does cover when the company ended.

Prince Edward's Ardent Productions left with assets of just ?40 - Telegraph

Blue Clover

Quote from: Kate on May 02, 2019, 11:50:07 PM
I have not been on this forum for awhile, but today I am so glad to see that Sophie is getting her dues from the members. She does such excellent works. Living in the Niagara area of Ontario, Sophie has visited this area many many times and is well received especially when there is a historical anniversary, e.g. the war of 1812 etc.. The place where she stays are always happy to know she is coming and put out the red carpet of sorts for her.( I worked there when she first began to come).
NOW, in the meantime and onward, I watch Netflix shows , and I discovered one recently called " The Fall", starring Gillian Anderson (*). Have to tell you I was knocked out in first seeing GA in a scene and couldn't help but see Sophie. Anyone following this story, have you felt the same. IMO, Sophie and Gillian could be sister....
Am happy that Sophie and Edward have had a firm marriage , a family type.. I do admire this branch of the Windsors and have gotten past  Edwards creative and failure of "THE KNOCKOUT"... I also understand that he has his own company, but not quite sure what this company is about. Anyone with solid information? Just curious.  After all is said and done, I feel that this family, Sophie and Edward, Louise and James , are definitely role models on behalf of the Families of the (Current) Monarchy. In faith... Kate

Hello, Kate! I'm happy you posted.  :goodpost: I think Sophie is very much like Princess Anne, both work very hard for the Crown.

TLLK

Twitter

QuoteThe Countess of Wessex is to make the first official royal visit to #Lebanon at the request of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, Buckingham Palace has announced.

QuoteDuring the visit, Sophie will meet Syrian women, including refugees displaced to Lebanon by the Syrian conflict; women striving to participate in peace-making efforts at a local and national level; and UK supported NGOs addressing sexual and gender based violence in the region.

Photo of Sophie visiting a Syrian refugee camp.

https://www.hellomagazine.com/imagenes/fashion/royal-style/2019061274102/sophie-wessex-fashion-boho-style-outfit-lebanon/0-360-773/sophie-wessex-outfit-brown-top-z.jpg

Double post auto-merged: June 12, 2019, 01:54:36 PM

The Countess of Wessex meets refugees in Lebanon ? Royal Central

Double post auto-merged: June 12, 2019, 01:55:37 PM

QuoteThe Countess of Wessex is making an official visit to Lebanon. It is the first such trip by a member of the British Royal Family to the country.

Sophie had already arrived in Lebanon when news of her visit was announced. The details were kept secret for security reasons.

As the Countess of Wessex arrived in the country, the UK Embassy said they were delighted to welcome her for a visit that ?is a symbol of the strong friendship between the UK and Lebanon?.

The first stop for Sophie was Bekaa where she spent time at what?s described as an ?informal settlement?. It?s housing refugees from Syria and the Countess of Wessex met several of the women who have made their homes there. She heard of the struggles they face every day and of the work being done by organisations including the UK Department for International Development to help them get enough food, drink and clothing.

Twitter

Sophie?s historic visit will focus on the role of women in society. During her time in Lebanon she will meet those involved with tackling and preventing sexual and gender based violence in the region. The Countess of Wessex will also meet women involved in peace-making efforts and hear how the UK is supporting women?s involvement in security issues there.

The royal visit will also see Sophie meet Lebanese leaders while the overall aims of the trip include shining a spotlight on women?s role in Lebanese society and the support given to them by the UK as well as strengthening relations between the two countries.

Blue Clover

TLLK

Yes it is an impressive first royal visit to Lebanon which unfortunately has been the scene of much trouble throughout much of QEII's reign. Glad to see Sophie there highlighting the services being offered to women and children.

Blue Clover

Yes, its great to see her drawing attention to services needed by women and children in the region.

TLLK

oak_and_cedar

How come none of this info is on DM, or am I mistaken?

TLLK

Here is an article from the DM on her visit.

Countess Sophie of Wessex is the first royal to visit Lebanon | Daily Mail Online

QuoteThe Countess of Wessex has arrived in Lebanon for a surprise visit to meet Syrian refugees displaced by conflict.

During a day of engagements, the royal will also meet with UK-supported NGOs addressing sexual and gender-based violence in the region.

This morning she visited a settlement of Syrian refugees in Bekaa Valley, Lebanon.

Sophie's trip is the first official visit to Lebanon by a member of the British royal family, according to Buckingham Palace. It was not announced for security reasons.

wannable

Other than a surprise (embargoed) visit, the British Press did not travel with her, they are relying on Press Association and the Lebanese local media copyrights to reproduce in the U.K. Once a U.K. acquires the copyrights as a third party with the notes included, they can write an article based on those notes and pictures.  Word for word from the PA or the local media the BRF member is visiting.

It's quite easy to find out with the RR's (old or new) who is travelling with a BRF member. Usually they notify via Social Media their trip plans with the BRF member, a picture of the airplane, the landing, the sight seeing before the agenda. Media bosses these days only have their RR's travel with C&C, DOC's and the DOS's.  This system is happening 'locally' in the U.K. as well, i.e. the original articles/notes when Anne, Andrew, Edward, Sophie visit outside London are from small local media outlets who sell the copyrights to the big London outlets directly or by fleetstreet, the later is the usual.

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: wannable on June 14, 2019, 01:46:55 PM
Other than a surprise (embargoed) visit, the British Press did not travel with her, they are relying on Press Association and the Lebanese local media copyrights to reproduce in the U.K. Once a U.K. acquires the copyrights as a third party with the notes included, they can write an article based on those notes and pictures.  Word for word from the PA or the local media the BRF member is visiting.

It's quite easy to find out with the RR's (old or new) who is travelling with a BRF member. Usually they notify via Social Media their trip plans with the BRF member, a picture of the airplane, the landing, the sight seeing before the agenda. Media bosses these days only have their RR's travel with C&C, DOC's and the DOS's.  This system is happening 'locally' in the U.K. as well, i.e. the original articles/notes when Anne, Andrew, Edward, Sophie visit outside London are from small local media outlets who sell the copyrights to the big London outlets directly or by fleetstreet, the later is the usual.
Very interesting! I suppose they save a ton of money that way.