Scotland Engagement for William and Kate - Thursday, 29 May 2014

Started by angieuk, May 14, 2014, 04:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

So it is possible that the members of the BRF send in an expense report or make travel arrangement through someone at BP?

gec

Quote from: Lady Adams on May 31, 2014, 12:48:02 AM
Queen Elizabeth has  been known to turn a blind eye to outrageous spending within her family; the Queen Mum, for example, left £7m in debts when she died.

Thank you Lady Adams, I was not aware of this.

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on May 31, 2014, 12:41:12 AM
The Queen is spending money like a sailor in a brothel through William and Kate then. No matter how the financial office in Buckingham Palace is organised, parliament gives a single lump sum payment to cover the Queen's (BRF) official expense and this includes travel.

Its then up to the Queen or by her authorisation to spend it. William isn't paid a salary by the government. If I'm the middle manager in a company I'm not responsible for how the board of directors spends money. Its no different for William.

Given that countries throughout the world are going through austere times, and are having to restructure both spending and taxes, it is important for particular consideration to be given to how and why public money is spent.

It is not acceptable to say that the palace is given a lump sum by parliament and therefore they can spend it however they wish. The appropriateness of the spending must be considered. The necessity of the spending and value for money need to be considered too.

In these austere times, spending has and will continue to be scruntinsed to ensure that public money is being spent appropriately. Noone spending public money should be above scrutiny and, if required, criticism for how the money is spent. One would hope that this would lead to a consideration as to whether changes should be made next time.

I'd be curious to know whether it was necessary that they stay overnight? And secondly, was it necessary for them to stay in a 5 star establishment, or could they have stayed somewhere less expensive? PrincessofPeace, maybe you would like to share your views given that you have defended this choice of the royal couple.

TLLK

Does anyone have a copy of their bill? Without that I'm not sure we would know what was going to be reimbursed from the Sovereign Grant.

The room rates are accessible on the website, but that doesn't mean it is what was actually paid. It could have been a special rate. "Bring your own RPO and get a second room free."

PrincessOfPeace

The point is gec, this thread has turned into William spending money like a sailor. There are only two people in the family with cheque cashing privileges. The Queen and Charles. Charles money is through the Duchy of Cornwall.
So to remove the Queen from the equation and say William just spends money somehow as he likes is silly.

Out of the Sovereign Grant the Queen must pay all official expensive. Her staff, travel the upkeep of the occulid royal palaces. Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle and Kensington Palace. It gets expensive.

The other thing is the Sovereign Grant spending is audited by the public accounts committee of parliment. So there are many eyeballs keeping track of decimals points.

It it fits the narrative to suggest that William is the puppet master of the BRF  and is allowed to do everything and anything, including spending the Sovereign Grant as he sees fit then I must take leave of the chat

SophieChloe

Thanks, gec -  Brilliant post and I look forward to the answers....
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

Lady Adams

Quote from: TLLK on May 31, 2014, 01:21:04 AM
Does anyone have a copy of their bill? Without that I'm not sure we would know what was going to be reimbursed from the Sovereign Grant.

The room rates are accessible on the website, but that doesn't mean it is what was actually paid. It could have been a special rate. "Bring your own RPO and get a second room free."
The market rate for this hotel was $500/night. Royals aren't supposed to accept gifts like free clothes, so I hope they wouldn't accept a "special rate" for a five-star luxury hotel. But it's happened before... (Which I think is totally unethical, but what's new with these two?)

"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

SophieChloe

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on May 31, 2014, 01:22:39 AM

It it fits the narrative to suggest that William is the puppet master of the BRF  and is allowed to do everything and anything, including spending the Sovereign Grant as he sees fit then I must take leave of the chat

Who's paying to protect Bucklebury Manor?

PrincessOfPeace

Security is a matter for the Met. Kate's parents don't get PO from the government. The security travels with W&K just like it travels with Harry when stays at Cressida's.

TLLK

Quote from: Lady Adams on May 31, 2014, 01:24:49 AM

The market rate for this hotel was $500/night. Royals aren't supposed to accept gifts like free clothes, so I hope they wouldn't accept a "special rate" for a five-star luxury hotel. But it's happened before... (Which I think is totally unethical, but what's new with these two?)

Is it possible that the BRF as a whole receives a discounted rate at specific hotels around the UK because the facilities have been approved by their security teams?

SophieChloe

PrincessOfPeace

You got me SC. News flash, the senior royals receive protection from the Met.

All the article states is W&K stayed there. It doesn't' say who paid or how much. Maybe W&K paid themselves. At any rate the travel costs of the BRF isn't William's remit.

Way too many tangents in this conversation lol

FanDianaFancy

Good pr  for  BRF through  PK and PW. Tey do well on their  joint  pr  gigs.
the  do the job or  pr  and smoozing the people.

Therefore ,that will squash any  monarchy  or not  or whatever it  is or is not  vote in Sept.
This  was  yet another  softshoe gig  for the Golden Couple.
I am not being critical . they  did well and always  do.
They  are  really  good  with  and around theoir subjects.

SophieChloe

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on May 31, 2014, 01:39:40 AM
You got me SC. News flash, the senior royals receive protection from the Met.

All the article states is W&K stayed there. It doesn't' say who paid or how much. Maybe W&K paid themselves. At any rate the travel costs of the BRF isn't William's remit.

Way too many tangents in this conversation lol
The "Senior Royals" are expected to work too.  Two way stream.... :shrug:

It gets far too confusing when questioned about W&K's spending habits.   :flower:

cate1949

I don't see a huge problem here - there are several possibilities - first - they paid for it themselves - I suspect he can afford the $500 tab 2) it came from the sovereign grant -  it does seem a legit expense to stay there for the night and travel home come morning.  Gleneagles would provide a more secure location I would guess.  And - plenty of upper management folks stay at Gleneagles when on business trips - my boss did.

I think if they ordered caviar and had a 500 pound bottle of wine on the sovereign grant that would be another discussion - but staying there does not seem outrageous.

gec

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on May 31, 2014, 01:22:39 AM
The point is gec, this thread has turned into William spending money like a sailor. There are only two people in the family with cheque cashing privileges. The Queen and Charles. Charles money is through the Duchy of Cornwall.
So to remove the Queen from the equation and say William just spends money somehow as he likes is silly.

Out of the Sovereign Grant the Queen must pay all official expensive. Her staff, travel the upkeep of the occulid royal palaces. Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle and Kensington Palace. It gets expensive.

The other thing is the Sovereign Grant spending is audited by the public accounts committee of parliment. So there are many eyeballs keeping track of decimals points.

PrincessofPeace, I did not allege that William 'spending money like a sailor', nor that I also did not say that William spends money how he likes. I raised the perfectly valid point that all spending of public money should be open to scrutiny and analysed to determine whether the spending was appropriate, necessary and provided value for money.

I reason I can confidently contend that my point was perfectly valid is because many developed first world countries, including the UK, USA, France, Germany and Australia and all carefully analysing their spending across all portfolios - carefully looking at how and why public money is spent.

Consequently, I would argue that the spending of public money is relevant to any conversation where said money is used. The discussion around a royal engagement can include many threads, aside from just smiling photographs and videos. These can include but not limited to, the charity, transport, security, accommodation, type of engagement, and overall cost.

If the money spent is deemed appropriate, there is no issue. But having a conversation around the spending of public money is important and adds value to discussion.

Lady Adams

Quote from: TLLK on May 31, 2014, 01:35:49 AM

Is it possible that the BRF as a whole receives a discounted rate at specific hotels around the UK because the facilities have been approved by their security teams?
According to some people, unicorns are possible.   :shrug:

(Anything's possible, but that scenario is improbable in my experience.)
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

Lady Adams

Quote from: cate1949 on May 31, 2014, 01:57:03 AM
I don't see a huge problem here - there are several possibilities - first - they paid for it themselves - I suspect he can afford the $500 tab 2) it came from the sovereign grant -  it does seem a legit expense to stay there for the night and travel home come morning.  Gleneagles would provide a more secure location I would guess.  And - plenty of upper management folks stay at Gleneagles when on business trips - my boss did.
Three points:
1) Since they could classify this as "official business," I find it likely that it was paid by The Firm....
2)...even if this overnight visit wasn't necessary.  (The press arrived the morning of the engagement. So, why couldn't Will & Kate?)
3) They have a "free" place to stay-- Balmoral Castle! Can't get more secure than that!

TLLK

Quote from: Lady Adams on May 31, 2014, 02:42:40 AM

They got a UNICORN and a discounted government rate???? Okay now that is a bit unfair. Do all members of the BRF receive magical creatures when staying at UK hotels????   :windsor1:

Lady Adams

Quote from: TLLK on May 31, 2014, 02:53:46 AM
Quote from: Lady Adams on May 31, 2014, 02:42:40 AM

They got a UNICORN and a discounted government rate???? Okay now that is a bit unfair. Do all members of the BRF receive magical creatures when staying at UK hotels????   :windsor1:
OMG, you work for the National Enquirer, don't you!?  :hehe: Stop spreading rumors, TLLK! :teehee:

TLLK

Macrobug

No, no, no.......you have it ALL WRONG.

Harry gets the unicorn.    Kate and Wills get the ride on the spaceship with Micheal Jackson, Mother Theresa and Elvis.   

Get your facts straight, woman!
GNU Terry Pratchett

Lothwen

Quote from: Lady Adams on May 30, 2014, 03:05:20 AM
Did anyone else notice that they managed to make a getaway out of these half-day of engagements? They stayed at a "5-star luxury hotel"..... without George.
Luxury Hotels Scotland - Scottish Golf & Spa Hotel - Gleneagles

Source:
QuoteThe couple, who have left Prince George with their nanny, arrived in Scotland on Wednesday and spent the night at the Gleneagles Hotel, where the Ryder Cup will be played later this year.
Prince George's Spiderman pyjamas - Telegraph

Your tax dollars at work, folks!

Why are they staying in a hotel when William owns a cottage in Scotland?
You may think you're cool, but do you have a smiley named after you?
Harryite 12-005

Okay, fine.  Macrobug is now as cool as I am

TLLK

Quote from: Macrobug on May 31, 2014, 03:12:55 AM
No, no, no.......you have it ALL WRONG.

Harry gets the unicorn.    Kate and Wills get the ride on the spaceship with Micheal Jackson, Mother Theresa and Elvis.   

Get your facts straight, woman!
I'm trying to keep it all straight!! NONE OF YOU understand the stress I'm under with this deadline!!!!! :happy17: :blink:

HsHCharlene

^^It depends on where the engagements were and where his cottage is in Scotland. The country is big enough that commuting may not have been feasible. The 5 star hotel bit is just them, they like the finer things in life. I just hope it's Charles' money and not direct tax dollars paying for that.

cate1949