Re: Royal Privacy and Security Throughout the Years

Started by Chiana, January 01, 2014, 06:33:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chiana

A thread dedicated to the  forms of protection provided to royals around the globe over the centuries and in the 21st century. This includes discussion of past and current security threats.

If William is trying to do with George what Edward & Sophie have tried to do with their kids (i.e. hide them from the paparazzi), I am afraid it is going to backfire.  Edward's kids are so far down the line of succession that not too many people care about them anyway, but Prince George is a different story.  The fewer photos there are of George, the more valuable photos of George will be.  You might say "He's just a baby", but it's because he is a baby is why there is and will continue to be so much curiosity about "what he looks like now" considering how quickly babies/young children grow. 

I've heard rumors that when W&K went to The Queen's Xmas lunch, the baby seat was empty and George went in another car to throw off the paparazzi. 

Kate and William take Prince George to royal pre-Christmas lunch with the Queen | Royal | News | Daily Express

If true, then William needs to accept that paparazzi are always going to be a part of George's life whether anyone likes it or not, and it would be better to teach George to just get used to it.

"Camilla never wanted to marry Charles.  She wanted to continue to be his paramour but stay married to Andrew." - Richard Parker Bowles

Princessinwaiting

If it were my child I wouldn't even give as much as william and kate have to the media they not only released pics but also had the press camped out till he was born they were very polite imo and George is a child a minor his parents will decide what they want for him  :Lothwen:

sara8150

William and Kate have rightful for their baby George stay away from spotlight for reasons when his parents in public..but William and Kate don't wanted publish pictures of George like 24/7 till photocall invite expect Australia and New Zealand on spring 2014 the couples says ok to invite include hello! And mores of magazines first cover of baby George since prince william's first trip to Australia and New Zealand and got cover people magazine..you remind princess Diana tried shield with Dodi Fayed before she crash in Paris,France and paparazzi&media get pictures of Diana it's worth millions to pay for that include tabloids and magazine also it's hurtful for William and Harry on his mother's accident

Earl and Countess of Wessexes chosen kids stay out spotlight because Louise had eye problems since she born in 2003 but Louise look fine wishes at sandringham have no idea where James is and stay home but Edward and Sophie have rightful protect their kids due stay out spotlight..but the couples took kids to trooping color occasion and lots mores not often..

Mostly royals parents include European Royals have rightful to protect child from paparazzi they won't publish pictures like 24/7 for child till parents says ok to publish magazine expect vacations and lots of mores because they wanted picture kids but it's worth lots million money to pay for that..

Chiana

Quote from: Princessinwaiting on January 01, 2014, 08:15:25 AM
If it were my child I wouldn't even give as much as william and kate have to the media they not only released pics but also had the press camped out till he was born they were very polite imo and George is a child a minor his parents will decide what they want for him  :Lothwen:
But do I have a point that it might do more harm than good to shield him so much?  The press were going to camp out in front of the hospital no matter what.

"Camilla never wanted to marry Charles.  She wanted to continue to be his paramour but stay married to Andrew." - Richard Parker Bowles

cinrit

In pictures of the Cambridges on their way to the Queen's Christmas lunch, the baby seat is blocked from view by the front seats, but Jessica Webb can plainly be seen.  Naturally, she would be with her charge, so a fairly accurate assumption would be that George was in the back seat with her.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

PrincessOfPeace

Exactly how many photo ops should a five month old baby have? The people complaining about too few pics will be the first to accuse the Cambridges of using Prince George for "PR purposes" if they were to release monthly "updates"

TLLK

Quote from: Chiana on January 01, 2014, 09:35:19 AM
But do I have a point that it might do more harm than good to shield him so much?  The press were going to camp out in front of the hospital no matter what.
I'm wondering if it might be a little early to be concerned about this. He's still very young. IMHO William and Kate have likely consulted  Charles about how often photos were released when the boys were young. Also other royal houses seem to have opted for official photoshoots at different times in the year in exchange for privacy from the paps. W-A and Max established their media code when Amalia was young. It might have had a controversial start, but they've kept their end of the bargain with regular photos released.  :)

pandaanda

It is common sense that the children's faces in the press are blurred and it is good to protect them. Normal or royal child.

TLLK

Quote from: pandaanda on January 01, 2014, 05:14:37 PM
It is common sense that the children's faces in the press are blurred and it is good to protect them. Normal or royal child.
Good point pandapanda.

HereditaryPrincess

Quote from: TLLK on January 01, 2014, 05:11:50 PM
Quote from: Chiana on January 01, 2014, 09:35:19 AM
I'm wondering if it might be a little early to be concerned about this. He's still very young. IMHO William and Kate have likely consulted  Charles about how often photos were released when the boys were young. Also other royal houses seem to have opted for official photoshoots at different times in the year in exchange for privacy from the paps. W-A and Max established their media code when Amalia was young. It might have had a controversial start, but they've kept their end of the bargain with regular photos released.  :)

I agree - I too think we'll see more of little George when he's a bit bigger. When he starts attending events such as Trooping the Colour and Christmas at Sandringham, the camera is bound to focus on him (especially when it's his first time in attending), so we'll get lots of photos then. We have had quite a bit of George coverage already; his public debut outside the Lindo Wing, his first official photos, his christening, a few paparazzi photos of Catherine pushing him in the park, and the Christmas Message videos.

On the other hand, I do think that William and Kate should've released a Christmas card of them and George. And I was a bit disappointed with the first official photos too, we only got two and George was asleep in both of them. (I was expecting some close ups of him with his eyes open.) That's why I think the Royal Family should do summer photoshoots/more photoshoots in general like the European Royals, then the press might leave them alone for a bit and everyone will be happy.

I think Lady Louise is a bit different, as Sara8150 said, she has had exotropia since birth. Edward and Sophie probably kept her out of the limelight so no negative comments could be made. I am wondering about James though. The Wessex children are also more "minor" (as Chiana has pointed out upthread) than George, so it's natural that they would get less coverage than him.

Queen Camilla

How is George being shielded from the media?

He was presented to the media when only 2 days old.  Photos and videos of his christening were released when he was 3 months old.  And inbetween, photos were released.  So 3 times in 3 months that is hardly shielding.

He is a baby.  When there is a reason for him to be seen, he will be seen.

sara8150

Quote from: Queen Camilla on January 05, 2014, 10:13:46 AM
How is George being shielded from the media?

He was presented to the media when only 2 days old.  Photos and videos of his christening were released when he was 3 months old.  And inbetween, photos were released.  So 3 times in 3 months that is hardly shielding.

He is a baby.  When there is a reason for him to be seen, he will be seen.

William and Kate have alright protect George from Spotlight they won't get pictures everyday like 24/7 in magazine like hello! Or any magazine the couple wanted private for baby since George born July 23 and debut after he born but the couple chosen not show baby in spotlight till years what William says last Christmas 2013 but the couple will bring George to Australia and New Zealand on spring 2014 for photocall but last time took picture of christening they won't give for Christmas pictures William and Kate chosen not give for Christmas pictures like his parents always usually..

cinrit

Quote"There were lots of other tourists surrounding them," noted Hello! magazine in its cover story this week, "but the Duchess and her little boy escaped their attention."

Whether the passengers who shared a long flight with the Duchess of Cambridge, Prince George and their bodyguards really failed to notice their famous fellow travellers, or were simply decent enough to give the young mother some space, the celebrity title took a different view of her privacy.

"World Exclusive!" it trumpeted, as it laid out a sequence of a dozen paparazzi images showing the Duchess coming down the steps of the Boeing 777, babe in arms, and walking across the airport on the Caribbean island of St Vincent. The 10 pages of coverage, charting nothing more newsworthy than a transit to a private jet that would take the Royals to the island of Mustique, were accompanied by a breathless report recording every detail that could be gleaned from the pictures, down to Kate's "taupe Mint Velvet plimsolls". The Duchess, readers were informed, was wearing sunglasses "to shade her eyes from the hot tropical sun".

More: Prince George and the paparazzi - Press - Media - The Independent

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

TLLK

It will be interesting to see if the couple goes with a Dutch style "media code" with regular photoshoots in exchange for more privacy for the children or will they forge ahead with their own plan.

sara8150

You remind princess Diana told media and paparazzi don't taking pictures of her and boys in skiing vacation and Diana told that "don't pictures" like 24/7 but media and paparazzi been taking lots pictures and video of Diana in 1981-1997 for fifteen years in public..

Before Diana's death paparazzi and media try get pictures and video of her when Diana got crash in tunnel in Paris,France but paparazzi and media get fines for that on Diana's injury&died crash..

Princes William and Harry do protect on their own life when his mom died and the brothers don't wanted heard on Diana's death they wanted low profiles on his mom's passed away..

Prince William is now married to Kate he have rightful to protect Kate I have respect William's decide to protect Kate and George from Spotlight but the couples don't wanted baby George in Spotlight like 24/7 till Australian and New Zealand for photocall..

Kate will protect George when travel with her family also make sure both ok but Kate bring three bodyguards and security with her and baby George plus Middletons family also to protect her and baby George they don't disturb strange or visitors..

HereditaryPrincess

Quote from: TLLK on February 05, 2014, 03:26:57 PM
It will be interesting to see if the couple goes with a Dutch style "media code" with regular photoshoots in exchange for more privacy for the children or will they forge ahead with their own plan.

I think it will be interesting, too. But I doubt it - the Dutch Royals are known for their informality and laid back style, whereas the British Royals are known to be more formal. I wish our royals would have regular photoshoots though. IMO the Spanish Royals are quite formal too, but they release fairly regular photos of the children.

I have to say I was a bit disappointed with his first official photos, but then we got his christening photos, which I thought were quite good. So perhaps George will be "exposed" (not sure if this is the correct word to use) to the media more in the near future.

PrincessOfPeace

I'm curious. Charles and Diana were long before my time but exactly how many photos of William were released between his christening and the Australian Tour? He was nine months during the tour so it would give me a good indication of just how much the Cambridges are 'shielding' George from the media.

Limabeany

:hmm: I don't know about Chuck & Di but the good feelings and good will generated by Estelle's parents is priceless and what I hear people say about them is very nice. In my opinion, and that of many others, they are being very thoughtful in sharing their baby and family conscientiously. :clap:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

TLLK

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on March 18, 2014, 10:37:35 PM
I'm curious. Charles and Diana were long before my time but exactly how many photos of William were released between his christening and the Australian Tour? He was nine months during the tour so it would give me a good indication of just how much the Cambridges are 'shielding' George from the media.
It's been a very long time, but I recall a photo released when they left the hospital and then one a few weeks afterward. There were the christening photos and then one before their Australian trip. William wore a white onesie suit with blue smocking. He could hold himself up. After Australia there were photos released for different milestones ie First birthday.

PrincessOfPeace

^^^ Thanks. Just one photo between William's christening and the Australian Tour. Here I was thinking there must have been multiple photo shoots and maybe even a few documentaries of William during his first nine months from the amount of slack the Cambridges get from some people about George.

Limabeany

Perhaps the slack they are getting is, in part, because royals like CP Victoria are being so thoughtful and conscientious in sharing the their family with the public. They are being respectful, they are private but they do not appear like they are in hiding or to be using their baby at odd times like a prop, they simply appear to be getting on with life. These are different times, and, IMO, CP Victoria and Daniel are doing a great job.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Lady Adams

^^ I completely agree, Lima.

I wish that the Cambridges would look for guidance at Daniel & Victoria's model of how to handle public interest in their daughter, a future Queen. It seems as though they want Swedes to share in the obvious joy Estelle brings to her family... and I think that's wonderful. They have given smiles to so many people by sharing glimpses of Estelle's life (I know I smile when I think of her baby royal sash, array of bows, or Christmas cookie baking). I also love how Daniel and Victoria take Estelle to (appropriate) events...they are showing her that royal duties can be woven into daily life, and one can take joy in these duties.

Every time they release seasonal photos/videos, the value of a photo of Estelle goes down. The public isn't clamoring to see the child, because they get to see her-- and appropriately so.

Royals have such a rare job-- and one that also affords them time to spend with their family. It makes me so happy to see that Victoria and Daniel want to share their lives with their daughter, but most of all, I think it's a wise decision to release photos and take her along to some events. Victoria & Daniel have my utmost respect.
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

PrincessOfPeace

Quote from: Limabeany on March 19, 2014, 01:42:12 AM
Perhaps the slack they are getting is, in part, because royals like CP Victoria are being so thoughtful and conscientious in sharing the their family with the public. They are being respectful, they are private but they do not appear like they are in hiding or to be using their baby at odd times like a prop, they simply appear to be getting on with life. These are different times, and, IMO, CP Victoria and Daniel are doing a great job.

I don't buy this at all. First the BRF have their own way of doing things. They never look to the continent for an example of how things should be done and second, the only people I see complain about a so called lack of photos of George are people who slam the Cambridges for everything they do in life and use the photos as just another way to have ago at them. If the Cambridges did release monthly photos or whatever they do in Sweden, Cambridge detractors would just accuse them of PR.

We saw George when he left the hospital, when Mr Middleton took home photos of George, we saw George again at his christening along with some video. We had the official christening photos taken by Mr Bell and during the Queen's Christmas day message there was yet more new video released from the christening and we had the unexpected but still lovely pics of George as he was leaving the plane in Mustique. Now coming up we will get more photos and video of George as he tours Australia with his parents.

How many official photo-shoots should a 7 or 8 month old baby have to satisfy critics, if indeed they will ever be satisfied?

Limabeany

Ask Daniel and Victoria. They are doing great!  :thumbsup: