Books written about and by the Sussexes Part 4.

Started by TLLK, February 10, 2023, 11:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

changemhysoul

Spare tops the UK Sunday Times best seller week for it's 6th week.

I'm wondering when it'll fall off because I expected three weeks max.

And apparently, Jill Biden has finished reading Spare.

wannable

That particular Doctor approves psychedelic drug taking.

So he is very relatable with Harry 🍄

Curryong

Quote from: changemhysoul on February 27, 2023, 07:31:31 PM
Spare tops the UK Sunday Times best seller week for it's 6th week.

I'm wondering when it'll fall off because I expected three weeks max.

And apparently, Jill Biden has finished reading Spare.

So much for the stupid Daily Express poll that declared in January that ?most Britons won?t bother to read Harry?s book?. In other words, we (the tabloids) are expecting a flop so we can all gloat.

Well, it didn?t happen and a considerable number of journalists and commentators have had egg on their faces about Spare for the last six weeks and more. So they?re cheering themselves up with carrying on about how now everybody is laughing  about the Sussexes because of South Park, and writing articles about how the couple are going to be snubbed by all at the Coronation! Absolutely pathetic! .

HistoryGirl2

Quote from: wannable on February 27, 2023, 09:01:08 PM
That particular Doctor approves psychedelic drug taking.

So he is very relatable with Harry 🍄

Without going too far into this, there are studies that show that some psychedelic drugs can help with clinical depression if the individual is resistant to other treatment. I can?t speak for recreational use, of course, and if used to mask problems that are making the person unhappy,  it can definitely be more harmful than helpful.

I do hope this talk focuses on mental health because if so, that?s quite beneficial to a lot of people that may be struggling. In particular, avoidance and lack of acceptance of traumatic events that I think harmed Harry throughout his life.

changemhysoul

Quote from: Curryong on February 27, 2023, 09:33:57 PM
So much for the stupid Daily Express poll that declared in January that ?most Britons won?t bother to read Harry?s book?. In other words, we (the tabloids) are expecting a flop so we can all gloat.

Well, it didn?t happen and a considerable number of journalists and commentators have had egg on their faces about Spare for the last six weeks and more. So they?re cheering themselves up with carrying on about how now everybody is laughing  about the Sussexes because of South Park, and writing articles about how the couple are going to be snubbed by all at the Coronation! Absolutely pathetic! .

Agree.

While I don't think any of them seriously thought that Spare would flop (I hope not at least), they didn't expect it to do this good. And the Sussex's aren't being hated and shunned as they want so...good luck to them I guess.

I will say, even I am shocked by how well it's doing. I knew it was always going to well but...exceeding what I thought.

wannable

Quote from: HistoryGirl2 on February 27, 2023, 09:57:24 PM
Without going too far into this, there are studies that show that some psychedelic drugs can help with clinical depression if the individual is resistant to other treatment. I can?t speak for recreational use, of course, and if used to mask problems that are making the person unhappy,  it can definitely be more harmful than helpful.

I do hope this talk focuses on mental health because if so, that?s quite beneficial to a lot of people that may be struggling. In particular, avoidance and lack of acceptance of traumatic events that I think harmed Harry throughout his life.

He is not a clinical practitioner nor can he take patients. He can talk limited.

Curryong

I posted this weeks ago. The Australian Govt is the first in the world to approve certain psychedelic drugs in the treatment of patients with depression or those vets who are suffering PTSD. Our medical fraternity is very conservative. This legislation would have jumped through dozens of hoops to be even allowed to be tested. They have now decided that it is a perfectly legitimate and helpful form of treatment for suitable patients.

Australia The First Nation To Approve The Legal Use Of MDMA And Psilocybin

HistoryGirl2

Quote from: wannable on February 27, 2023, 10:24:46 PM
He is not a clinical practitioner nor can he take patients. He can talk limited.

I?ve never read his books, so I can?t say for sure, but he does focus on PTSD and trauma, and as a physician, I?d expect him to know current practices in dealing with these types of mood disorders.

Quote from: Curryong on February 27, 2023, 10:42:49 PM
I posted this weeks ago. The Australian Govt is the first in the world to approve certain psychedelic drugs in the treatment of patients with depression or those vets who are suffering PTSD. Our medical fraternity is very conservative. This legislation would have jumped through dozens of hoops to be even allowed to be tested. They have now decided that it is a perfectly legitimate and helpful form of treatment for suitable patients.

Australia The First Nation To Approve The Legal Use Of MDMA And Psilocybin

I?m happy to read this. With proper guidance and therapy, psychedelic drugs have been known to help mental disorders, specifically major depression. I say anything that can help people not suffer should be supported.

Amabel2

Quote from: changemhysoul on February 27, 2023, 10:15:47 PM
Agree.

While I don't think any of them seriously thought that Spare would flop (I hope not at least), they didn't expect it to do this good. And the Sussex's aren't being hated and shunned as they want so...good luck to them I guess.

I will say, even I am shocked by how well it's doing. I knew it was always going to well but...exceeding what I thought.
really?  The fact that its selling pretty well does not mean that people approve of the writer

Amabel2

Quote from: HistoryGirl2 on February 28, 2023, 12:57:40 AM
I?ve never read his books, so I can?t say for sure, but he does focus on PTSD and trauma, and as a physician, I?d expect him to know current practices in dealing with these types of mood disorders.

I?m happy to read this. With proper guidance and therapy, psychedelic drugs have been known to help mental disorders, specifically major depression. I say anything that can help people not suffer should be supported.
I'd be very dubious, It seems to me that Harry has been using drugs for a long time and that it has exacerbated his own tendency to be suspicous and paranoic... to add more drugs even under medical supervision does not seem a good idea

Amabel2

Quote from: HistoryGirl2 on February 27, 2023, 09:57:24 PM

Harry seems to have been in therapy for many years, but he's still drinking and using drugs which IMO are likely to affect him.  There are people who can drink and take soft drugs witout its having too much of an effect on them but in Harry's case I I think its self medication and it doesn't seem to be doing him much good.

HistoryGirl2

That?s something that only a close family member or friend would be able to tell about him, so I can?t really comment on the state of drug use in the present. If I?m not mistaken, by his own admission, he did use drugs to mask his pain and discomfort in the past. That is definitely not healthy in any way. There?s drug use and drug abuse. Where he is in the present with that, I?m not sure, but psychedelic drugs aren?t bad in and of themselves.

Quote from: Amabel2 on February 28, 2023, 08:49:59 AM
really?  The fact that its selling pretty well does not mean that people approve of the writer

It?s a mixed bag because there will always be supporters, but I do think the book harmed his popularity more than helped. Not sure if that bothers him or not though because he seems to be laughing all the way to the bank. That?s really what this book was about. He has an expensive lifestyle to uphold and it requires he do things like this.

The numbers don?t shock me in the least. Gossip always sells and it most certainly sells when it?s about the BRF.

Amabel2

As someone who has health problems, Im very wary of drugs.  Even when tehy work there are side effects, and mind altering drugs are even more of a problem. It seems from what H has said, that he was a fairly heavy user of drink and illicit drugs in the past, and even in recent years, when he had a happy marriage and a baby, he was still smoking weed at least. and today's weed is a lot stronger than what was around when I was a young student, and can be a lot more damaging to the brain. So If I were a doctor I would not wat to prescribe drugs for Harry beyond what was really necessary.  He seems paranoid and that can be an effect of long term use of illicit drugs.  Alcohol fuels anger and he still seems very angry.
as for the sale of the book, is his lifestyle such that he really needs to air all the family's problems and all the things aobut his own life that most people keep private? How much money does he really need?

TLLK

Quote from: Amabel2 on February 28, 2023, 01:28:46 PM
As someone who has health problems, Im very wary of drugs.  Even when tehy work there are side effects, and mind altering drugs are even more of a problem. It seems from what H has said, that he was a fairly heavy user of drink and illicit drugs in the past, and even in recent years, when he had a happy marriage and a baby, he was still smoking weed at least. and today's weed is a lot stronger than what was around when I was a young student, and can be a lot more damaging to the brain. So If I were a doctor I would not wat to prescribe drugs for Harry beyond what was really necessary.  He seems paranoid and that can be an effect of long term use of illicit drugs.  Alcohol fuels anger and he still seems very angry.
as for the sale of the book, is his lifestyle such that he really needs to air all the family's problems and all the things aobut his own life that most people keep private? How much money does he really need?

As I understand, Prince Harry signed a  four book deal in 2021 with his  publisher Penguin. He's written  Spare. That leave three more books to be written, so I'd expect that more is coming from him. Reportedly one of the books will be about the Invictus Games. Some of the money earned from the sales will be donated to two his charities ie: Sentebale and Well Child.

QuotePrince Harry is supporting British charities with donations from the book's proceeds, according to its description. It states: "The Duke of Sussex has donated $1,500,000 to Sentebale, an organisation he founded with Prince Seeiso in their mothers' legacies, which supports vulnerable children and young people in Lesotho and Botswana affected by HIV/AIDS.

"Prince Harry will also donate to the non-profit organisation WellChild in the amount of ?300,000. WellChild, which he has been Royal patron of for fifteen years, makes it possible for children and young people with complex health needs to be cared for at home instead of hospital, wherever possible."

When Prince Harry's book Spare is released, what he's doing with the profits and what to expect - Manchester Evening News

Inside Prince Harry's Multi-Book Deal -- and Its $40 Million Price Tag | Entertainment Tonight

QuoteET has learned that Prince Harry has a four-book deal with Penguin Random House worth $35 to $40 million. The royal first announced the publishing contract in July 2021.

Prince Harry could make up to ?33 million from book deal | The Independent

Amabel2

do the charities really want money that earned from a tacky tell all book?  I Suppose they do.

TLLK

Sentebale and Well Child have been long associated with and supported by Prince Harry so I believe that they'll be happy to receive funding from Spare.

HistoryGirl2

Charities don?t really have the ability to be uppity about what money they will or won?t take. As for the money he keeps, it?s not really about needing in general, it?s about needing it for the lifestyle he and his wife wish to have. Living in Montecito is not cheap.

Amabel2

That's my point.  Why does Harry, who seems to be claiming a leaning to the left wing, need so much money to lead this lifestyle in the US?  He inherited a lot of money from Diana, according to Meg's fans she made a lot of money during her acting career (I dont really believe that but that's what is said) and if H really wanted a private life, as he's claimed, he surely had enough to buy a house in the US, somewhere quiet, where he could lead a private life, rear his kids, and do a bit of hands on charity work.  surely he does not need to sell out his family, and give us all the gory details about his own private sex life etc, in order to acquire the money to pay for the lifestyle he wants?

TLLK

Quote from: Amabel2 on February 28, 2023, 04:39:10 PM
That's my point.  Why does Harry, who seems to be claiming a leaning to the left wing, need so much money to lead this lifestyle in the US?  He inherited a lot of money from Diana, according to Meg's fans she made a lot of money during her acting career (I dont really believe that but that's what is said) and if H really wanted a private life, as he's claimed, he surely had enough to buy a house in the US, somewhere quiet, where he could lead a private life, rear his kids, and do a bit of hands on charity work.  surely he does not need to sell out his family, and give us all the gory details about his own private sex life etc, in order to acquire the money to pay for the lifestyle he wants?

I do agree that there were some unnecessary details in Spare regarding his body parts, his sex life and private family conversations and interactions which don't really leave me with a favorable impression of the "man he has become."

However one of the great expenses that the Sussexes now have to fund for themselves is round the clock security, so I expect that Spare and any other books from the deal he's made will be providing their necessary income to cover that  cost. The couple could consider moving to a smaller property instead of their current home in very pricey Montecitio. Eventually they will need to pay for their children's school tuition which is likely to be more expensive than the pre-school that Archie currently attends.

HistoryGirl2

Agreed, @TLLK. Additionally, it?s entirely his prerogative to spend and make his money as he sees fit. He?s off public coffers, so he can do whatever he wants.

I?d like to believe I could never be so crass and tacky, but Harry is a grown man who can make his own choices.

TLLK

Quote from: HistoryGirl2 on February 28, 2023, 09:09:28 PM
Agreed, @TLLK. Additionally, it?s entirely his prerogative to spend and make his money as he sees fit. He?s off public coffers, so he can do whatever he wants.

I?d like to believe I could never be so crass and tacky, but Harry is a grown man who can make his own choices.

Agreed @HistoryGirl2 -Likewise anyone who is deciding whether or not to purchase one of  Prince Harry's future books, will now know what was covered and shared in Spare. Therefore  they themselves can make their own choices  if it's something they believe is worth buying.

TLLK

Discussion of Frogmore Cottage has been moved to this thread linked below. Please continue the discussion there. 

The Sussex Family General Chat Part 2

Amabel2

Quote from: HistoryGirl2 on February 28, 2023, 09:09:28 PM

well obviously he could not write a book like this, if he were still a working royal. and yes he can do whatever he wants, but what he is doing, is making himself look nasty, and talking about his family, in a way that is likely to diminish them, even if a lot of what he says is not true. 

HistoryGirl2

In the eyes of many people, you?re right. He?s not come off well. In the eyes of others, he?s a hero. I like what @TLLK said about people having so much information about this book prior to its release. I actually really appreciated that. Hearing Harry speak about the stories included saved me from wasting my time because, in my opinion, he?s engaging in the new fad: professional victimhood.

To others, his stories arise feelings of sympathy that only increase their esteem of him in their eyes.

He?s really left it up to you to decide. I agree with you, I think the stories he told actually make him out to be immature, bratty, and spoiled; criticizing the privilege of royals whilst basking and making a good buck off of it. But not everyone agrees with us and certainly his publishers don?t care whether we do or not because it makes money.

I?m fascinated by it all because 1) I?m not a citizen of the UK and 2) I don?t have any personal affiliation or affection for any of these people. That means I can just watch from afar and see what it does to the monarchy, without much in the way of stakes. My name is fitting; the BRF has survived many scandals and critical moments dating back to its inception. Sometimes those have led to changes and reforms. I?m interested to see how this scandal affects them, if at all.

Amabel2

of course the publishers dont care, but IMO Harry is getting away with his lies and nastiness because the RF dont usually engage in arguments with anyone who writes a book or does a show about them.  And while many people will just be disgusted with the way he has shown himself up, others will believe a lot of what's said and have a poor opinion of the RF as a whole.. and particularly William who came in for a lot of fire from H.
A couple of years ago, I wondered how he would make money, and visualised him selling toasters on the SHopping Channels, but I didnt really think that he would use his family background to savage his relatives and air dirty laundry.  If he were selling something, it would be a lot more honest than what he's doing.. but clearly that's what he and Meg always intended to do.