News, Photos and Chat about Albert & Charlene's wedding - July 2011

Started by marine2109, May 10, 2011, 06:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liquorice

Quote from: WOW on July 02, 2011, 01:15:15 AM
Why did they do a civil wedding first?

It's a Monaco tradition.

I'm French, I can not explain you exactly what happens in Monaco but I can tell you the same thing happens in France. Why ?

During the French Revolution, the revolutionaries not only happened to hate aristocracy but also the clergy. Not only they seized aristocrats' properties, but also the clergy's ones.
Before Revolution, all weddings simply occurred in churches. At a moment, they tried to change the religion and create a totally new one. Obviously, this never worked because this religion had no real cultural roots unlike Henry VIII's one. But it shows French revolutionaries' hatred for clergymen.

But revolutionaries implemented laws which forced people to marry before the civil institutions instead of "associating with" clergymen.

This explains France's tradition of non-religious nature. Nowadays, this revolutionary law has never been changed. French people must marry in the town hall BEFORE marrying in church. This type of ceremony is as attented as religious ceremony. As town halls and churches are locally separated, there are often convoys of honking cars across the town. When there is a religious ceremony, it is considered the most important one traditionnally.

Monaco has strong bonds with France.

Go and see Wikipedia's article about the French Revolution, it had a huge influence. 

Liquorice

For further information about what I've just written, you can look
Wikipedia's article called Dechristianisation of France during the French Revolution

cinrit

Because civil ceremonies are the only legally-recognized weddings in Monaco:

QuoteAll legally rec­og­nized wed­dings pre­formed in Monaco are civil. The cer­e­mony is pre­formed in French,  Monégasque, Eng­lish or Ital­ian. If either party does not speak any of these lan­guages, an inter­preter should be hired. Tra­di­tional, reli­gious, non-denominational or sec­u­lar cer­e­monies are not legally rec­og­nized, but can pro­ceed a civil cer­e­mony to ful­fill the desires of the bride and groom-to-be.

http://www.eloperite.com/monaco-marriage-requirements   

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

CanRoyal

I'm looking forward to seeing the dress today. I love, love what Charlene wore to the civil ceremony - it was a beautiful colour on her, and very much her.

Whatever happened - or happens - about the stresses and wedding jitters that accompany the beginning of most marriages - I wish her all the best.

Queen of Rain

Charlene is such a lovely and nice woman ! Congratulations Albert for your choice !!! I approuve it ! :)
I wish you happiness both .....Charlene-if you read this: You are one of the best princesses !

Liquorice

Quote from: cinrit on July 02, 2011, 12:55:14 PM

Because civil ceremonies are the only legally-recognized weddings in Monaco:

QuoteAll legally rec­og­nized wed­dings pre­formed in Monaco are civil. The cer­e­mony is pre­formed in French,  Monégasque, Eng­lish or Ital­ian. If either party does not speak any of these lan­guages, an inter­preter should be hired. Tra­di­tional, reli­gious, non-denominational or sec­u­lar cer­e­monies are not legally rec­og­nized, but can pro­ceed a civil cer­e­mony to ful­fill the desires of the bride and groom-to-be.

http://www.eloperite.com/monaco-marriage-requirements   

Cindy

Then it is exactly the same as in France.

Princesse Grace

Quote from: Queen of Rain on July 02, 2011, 01:02:04 PM
Charlene is such a lovely and nice woman ! Congratulations Albert for your choice !!! I approuve it ! :)
I wish you happiness both .....Charlene-if you read this: You are one of the best princesses !
Agree in all! :clap: :blowkiss: :congrats:

Princesse Grace

Quote from: Lindelle on July 02, 2011, 09:28:06 AM
Are they getting married now because the only way i can watch it is via youtube.
Time zone - in Oz we are 17 hours ahead.
Lindelle you can watch it  in direct in the link of my last post,enjoy!

MissComplexSimplicity

"Granny I've got to go, send my love to the corgis...I've got to go, bye. God save you, yeah, that's great ..."

Princesse Grace

Her dress is too simple imo..... and the veil too...I dislike this weeding dress.
I miss a tiara ,earrings.....

Queen of Rain

Agree,but she looks like an angel !!!  :flower:
She is shy and embarrased-but so sweet !  :notworthy: I want to  :hug: her !

Brneyechick25

Her dress reminds me of Crown Princess Victoria's, to simple imo. Her makeup and hair is perfection however.

cinrit

Quote from: Princesse Grace on July 02, 2011, 03:10:31 PM
Her dress is too simple imo..... and the veil too...I dislike this weeding dress.
I miss a tiara ,earrings.....   

I understand there will be a dinner tonight, and she'll wear a tiara then.  The top of the dress makes me think of Princess Victoria's wedding dress, the body of the gown makes me think of Pippa's bridesmaid's dress.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

CanRoyal

The veiling and hair is wonderful...can't see the dress well enough yet to comment...

:thanks: for the live feed! You're awesome  :clap:

Lothwen

The dress is allowing her to shine.  I think she looks beautiful
You may think you're cool, but do you have a smiley named after you?
Harryite 12-005

Okay, fine.  Macrobug is now as cool as I am

Princesse Grace

I like the  pink dress of Charlotte and the headpiece,so of 50´s. :yesss:

Lothwen

I love her hair being pulled back, and the jewled clip holding it in place
You may think you're cool, but do you have a smiley named after you?
Harryite 12-005

Okay, fine.  Macrobug is now as cool as I am

WOW

blackprincess92

REAL LOVE AT LAST!!!

Brneyechick25

Quote from: blackprincess92 on July 02, 2011, 03:58:22 PM
why albert ...why in white...so tacky i dont like....

:lol:

<------ I'm dying to see what she wore. She always brings it.

blackprincess92

its sooo simple in plain....getting married in the courtyard

REAL LOVE AT LAST!!!

missing diana

Quote from: CanRoyal on July 02, 2011, 03:20:23 PM
The veiling and hair is wonderful...

:thanks: for the live feed! You're awesome  :clap:
Not a fan of the dress, but I do love the long train and her bouquet.  The dress isn't bad, I just don't love it.

Quote from: Lothwen on July 02, 2011, 03:46:26 PM
I love her hair being pulled back, and the jewled clip holding it in place
Agree,  looks beautiful and very regal.

Quote from: MissComplexSimplicity on July 02, 2011, 03:04:02 PM
They don't look very happy!
Several of my friends noticed that during the first 3/4 of the ceremony.   Nerves on her part?

Quote from: Princesse Grace on July 02, 2011, 03:45:40 PM
I like the  pink dress of Charlotte and the headpiece,so of 50´s. :yesss:

She looks stunning!  Such a beautiful girl.  She inherited her mother's looks and elegance. Pierre looks so much like Stephano :(