The Troubled Lives of Hanoverian Monarchs are Revealed in New Series

Started by cinrit, April 26, 2014, 01:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

QuoteAre you under the impression that Henry VIII was the most dysfunctional monarch we've ever had?  Meeting our Hanoverian kings of the 18th century might make you think again.

We'll be hearing a lot about them in 2014, as our first Hanoverian monarch George I - distant forebear of today's little Prince George - ascended the throne exactly 300 years ago.

Exhibitions across London are celebrating this anniversary, including The First Georgians: Art & Monarchy 1714-1760 at The Queen's Gallery, Buckingham Palace, with over 300 Georgian treasures from the Royal Collection.

At Historic Royal Palaces, where I am a curator, we're covering the stories of George I at Hampton Court and George II at Kensington Palace. I'll also be introducing George I and George II, Britain's least-known kings, in a new BBC 4 series The First Georgians.

More: Our most calamitous Kings, the troubled lives of our Hanoverian monarchs are revealed in a fascinating new series | Mail Online

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Limabeany

"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

cinrit

You're welcome, Limabeany.  It looks like the series will be shown only on BBC4, but it may be available on DVD afterwards.

Cindy

PrincessOfPeace

I too am looking forward to this series. The Hanoverian monarchs definitely had a habit of eating their own young. 

cinrit

That's a good way of putting it, Princess. :hehe:  It's always fascinated me how each generation followed pattern. 

Cindy

Limabeany

"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.