The Commonwealth Nations and the British Monarchy News

Started by Curryong, February 01, 2020, 09:27:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HistoryGirl2

^That?s an excellent point. It?s something that I?ve obviously thought about for a long time?difficult to study history without having considered it. Should every meeting between countries begin with an apology to each other for the atrocities they?ve committed against the other? You?d have quite a long proceeding, if that were the case.

And it?s emotional for me because with some people, it gets to the point where it feels almost insulting. I?m a huge proponent of education and of making people aware of the history of each nation?good and bad. But the constant apologies and acknowledgments, usually by a politician wanting some clout? If anyone were to apologize to me, I wouldn?t accept to be completely honest. To reduce hundreds of years of murder, rape, theft, degradation, economic and social hardship down to an apology? It just feels insulting, even though that?s not how it?s meant, it feels that way because it?s so empty of any actual amends.

At some point, you either move on or you find a way to give monetary repayment for all that you stole. But constantly putting indigenous people and people of color in the position of having to accept your apologies is both demeaning and tiresome, in my opinion.

Curryong

AUSTRALIANS DON'T WANT A KING, OR CHARLES ? Australian Republic Movement

Recent polling by Pure Profile reveals that support for the monarchy in Australia has plummeted under King Charles? reign, with only 40% of Australians now saying they would prefer to keep King Charles instead of choosing an Australian as our Head of State.

Conducted between 6-12 April 2023, the nationally representative poll asked respondents ?Do you support keeping King Charles III as King of Australia (our Head of State), or should Australia have an Australian chosen by Australians to represent us instead??

60% of respondents said they wanted an Australian chosen by Australians. That percentage rose to 69% among those aged 18-35, showing younger generations? strong opposition to the Monarchy. A majority of all age groups supported having an Australian instead.

Nightowl

Just how long has King Charles been King Charles for Australia? Long enough to cause trouble and drama, so if IMHO the people of Australia don't want King Charles, then just leave...go do your own way and be done with it. That way Australia will be gone out of the Commonwealth and there will be no more talk or complaints about King Charles..solves all problems for both parties.  I strongly believe in * never go where your not wanted or welcomed*

Nightowl

Quote from: HistoryGirl2 on May 10, 2023, 12:29:05 PM
^That?s an excellent point. It?s something that I?ve obviously thought about for a long time?difficult to study history without having considered it. Should every meeting between countries begin with an apology to each other for the atrocities they?ve committed against the other? You?d have quite a long proceeding, if that were the case.

And it?s emotional for me because with some people, it gets to the point where it feels almost insulting. I?m a huge proponent of education and of making people aware of the history of each nation?good and bad. But the constant apologies and acknowledgments, usually by a politician wanting some clout? If anyone were to apologize to me, I wouldn?t accept to be completely honest. To reduce hundreds of years of murder, rape, theft, degradation, economic and social hardship down to an apology? It just feels insulting, even though that?s not how it?s meant, it feels that way because it?s so empty of any actual amends.

At some point, you either move on or you find a way to give monetary repayment for all that you stole. But constantly putting indigenous people and people of color in the position of having to accept your apologies is both demeaning and tiresome, in my opinion.

:goodpost:

How far back in time should we say sorry for what our ancestors did, back to *cavemen days* maybe? This is anyone wanting an apology is just a way to make MONEY so that the people getting the MONEY can run and say I told you so to the media .......this is rubbing it in your face by those wanting an apology and those that give that apology are weak and insecure and afraid ........

Curryong

Quote from: Nightowl on May 13, 2023, 08:05:53 AM
Just how long has King Charles been King Charles for Australia? Long enough to cause trouble and drama, so if IMHO the people of Australia don't want King Charles, then just leave...go do your own way and be done with it. That way Australia will be gone out of the Commonwealth and there will be no more talk or complaints about King Charles..solves all problems for both parties.  I strongly believe in * never go where your not wanted or welcomed*

Why would Australia leave the Commonwealth after becoming a republic? There are 56 member States in the organisation. The vast majority of them are republics.

There are only 15 countries that acknowledge Charles as HOS. These are the realms, and include the UK. The ceremonial head of the Commonwealth is Charles III though it?s extremely unlikely that William will succeed him in that office. The 36 other members of the Commonwealth are republics, and five others have different monarchs.

Nightowl

Quote from: Curryong on May 13, 2023, 09:02:03 AM
Why would Australia leave the Commonwealth after becoming a republic? There are 56 member States in the organisation. The vast majority of them are republics.

There are only 15 countries that acknowledge Charles as HOS. These are the realms, and include the UK. The ceremonial head of the Commonwealth is Charles III though it?s extremely unlikely that William will succeed him in that office. The 36 other members of the Commonwealth are republics, and five others have different monarchs.

Well, I keep reading that some so want a republic so that they can be free of the British, so why not just go all out and have the republic and leave the Commonwealth and be done completely with the British? Get it over with once and for all, done, gone and no hard feelings.........this way the gov and burn all the British memorabilia over the decades and move on to whatever they the Republic wants to do.

Nightowl

Quote from: Curryong on May 13, 2023, 09:09:52 AM
Direct ancestors of King Charles owned slave plantations, documents reveal | Slavery | The Guardian

New research shows that Bowes Lyon ancestors owned and traded slaves.

Yes that was then, a very long time ago, decades and decades and yet today King Charles does NOT have slaves.....go to the middle east and find the countries with slaves today, not the British Royal Family today, we have no choice when we are born and we have no choice what our ancestors did hundreds of years ago .........why drag up what happened hundreds of years ago to make it seem like it is the same today when it isn't?   I love ancient history and yet I understand it for that is then when people did not know better and some lived in caves even..this is today......and we so called great human race still does not know better IMHO.

Curryong

Quote from: Nightowl on May 13, 2023, 10:33:21 AM
Well, I keep reading that some so want a republic so that they can be free of the British, so why not just go all out and have the republic and leave the Commonwealth and be done completely with the British? Get it over with once and for all, done, gone and no hard feelings.........this way the gov and burn all the British memorabilia over the decades and move on to whatever they the Republic wants to do.

Australia has not said that ?it wants to be free of the British?. We have the Westminster system of Government and our legal system is based on Britain?s.

Australians want their own Aussie-born HOS. Nothing more, nothing less. It?s not a question of ridding ourselves of all traces of Britain. 99.9% of the countries in the Commonwealth aren?t British nor are their peoples. It hasn?t been called the British Commonwealth for many decades, and Britain and the British don?t rule the Commonwealth.

It?s a wide ranging, polyglot, multi-national and multi-cultural organisation, nothing to do with Britain, except that GB is one of the countries within it. Australia just doesn?t want King Charles as its Head of State.

Amabel2

so get rid of Charles and find your own HOS.  Just stop going on about it

HistoryGirl2

^I agree. The polls say they want to choose their of Head of State, so politicians should listen. A vote should be held and that?ll be that.

Amabel2

Quote from: HistoryGirl2 on May 13, 2023, 01:30:54 PM
^I agree. The polls say they want to choose their if Head of State, so politicians should listen. A vote should be held and that?ll be that.
Im sure there will be complaining and groaning for years to come, and I have no sympathy

HistoryGirl2

^Well, it?s what people love to do, so I believe you?re right. It?s not at all surprising to me. I figured if any realm was next to drop him, it would be Australia. But they are capable of doing it like any other realm. These aren?t the days of Edward I; you can choose to be a republic if you want to. No one is holding anyone hostage.

wannable

That poll is not reliable, because it's for subscribers to their ''Republican Movement Organization'' website. It is a republican propaganda for their cause website. Nothing wrong, I don't mind sharing fan, favorable of the sort views, for real, I love reading everything. (But the RIF rules don't allow it, I was persecuted by sharing a fan, favorable view, deleted and then a bit more warned, I blame it on the moon that week  :laugh: )

I'd take a Australian Survey company with the methodology, an excel sheet with age group, strata group, etc.

HistoryGirl2

^I don?t know that any poll is fully trustworthy because it?s one thing to ask a person a question and quite another to vote a certain way. America has had its share of shocks after national polls?

That?s why a vote really should be held. That?s the only reliable way to see one way or another what the majority (or the voting public anyway) truly want.

wannable

I'm a bit tech savvy thanks to my middle brother works with AI.  .orgs are free, like a blogger but with a registered 'organization' that can post whatever theme they want.

Is .org free?
ORG domains are reserved for things like nonprofit organizations. And while they do tend to have more of a noncommercial 'slant' to them, anyone is free to register a . ORG, no matter what content you plan to host.

Anyway, I will restate what I said previously, I personally don't mind sharing biased views from small, mid or large bloggers, vloggers, etc. To me it DOES represent views of people that like and share these thoughts, however and wherever they come from.  Of course, a republican movement exists, but poll wise, it is not representative of an entire nation. IMO, I don't doubt that Australia wants to be a republic, but is the consensus in a majority or is it too too close, if the latter, I would understand a/the politicians to be queasy.  i.e. 49/50, 49/51 Too close numbers are points within a 1 to 5 difference, a divided country, like the USA. The thing is a change would be full and completely extraordinary ranging from not only voting for a President, but making their own constitution to their currency, etc. It's not only a new election to vote for a new president.

wannable

Quote from: HistoryGirl2 on May 13, 2023, 02:38:12 PM
^I don?t know that any poll is fully trustworthy because it?s one thing to ask a person a question and quite another to vote a certain way. America has had its share of shocks after national polls?

That?s why a vote really should be held. That?s the only reliable way to see one way or another what the majority (or the voting public anyway) truly want.

I wouldn't trust anything from the USA, sorry. But just recently a lot of secret documents, faked, forged and half truths from departments such as FBI and CIA have come to light, and the Departments that have to take actions are not taking actions, hence my comment the other day about the volatility in that country, it's a time bomb, waiting to implode any time. I hope the someones can contain it/save it.

HistoryGirl2

It?s just the cycle of things. It might implode or explode and then it?ll build itself back up again. Just like any other civilization historically. That?s why I appreciate seeing the realms change. Nothing inherently bad about change.

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on May 13, 2023, 02:18:27 PM
That poll is not reliable, because it's for subscribers to their ''Republican Movement Organization'' website. It is a republican propaganda for their cause website. Nothing wrong, I don't mind sharing fan, favorable of the sort views, for real, I love reading everything. (But the RIF rules don't allow it, I was persecuted by sharing a fan, favorable view, deleted and then a bit more warned, I blame it on the moon that week  :laugh: )

I'd take a Australian Survey company with the methodology, an excel sheet with age group, strata group, etc.

Excuse me! The poll was NOT for subscribers for the Republican Movement Website at all! I am not a subscriber to that website (or to any other as a matter of fact.) Pure Polling is an Australian polling company that (like every other company) undertakes polling for whatever company or organisation commissions it.

It was quite clear in the link that I put up with the poll on it that this poll was COMMISSIONED  by the Australian Republican Movement and undertaken a few days before the Coronation. The information was within the text of the polling company link, as was the question that was asked of the respondents.

Pureprofile Business | Data, Research & Media Solutions - Pureprofile

Who We Are - Pureprofile

Above is the website of pureprofile. It has NOTHING whatsoever to do with the Aus Republican Movement website AT ALL. It is a completely independent company.

I am also getting very very sick of being challenged on the subject of how Australians feel about a republic by those who have never resided here. I have published polling here before from various polling companies in the past and it has been constantly questioned.

Well, what was posted by purepolling is in line with other polls around the question taken here.

And btw, HistoryGirl asked me the other day how Aussies felt about the Coronation and I posted back with what I found. I also went out for Mother?s Day lunch yesterday with my extended family. Ten adults were present. Of those ten adults beside myself how many do you think viewed the Coronation? Precisely one, and that was my elder daughter who saw a bit of it, got bored, doesn?t particularly like Camilla or Charles, thought they looked old and disinterested, and switched over to watch something else.

I hardly think my extended family, including several inlaws, are outliers. The restaurant was full. Of adults present I would be extremely surprised if even a half viewed the Coronation all through. Monarchists? Hardly!

Curryong

Guardian Aus video. The newspaper went out on the streets a week ago to get opinions on whether people would be watching the Coronation. I don?t think the recipients were hand-picked!

What people in Australia really think about King Charles's coronation ? video | Australia news | The Guardian

wannable

The Sydney morning herald calls the movement propagandists run by clowns who are bonkers. Article is 6 days old. They have made members run away, and have not been capable of convincing gen z republicans to join them.

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on May 13, 2023, 10:45:35 PM
The Sydney morning herald calls the movement propagandists run by clowns who are bonkers. Article is 6 days old. They have made members run away, and have not been capable of convincing gen z republicans to join them.

The Sydney Morning Herald is a right wing Murdoch newspaper. Nuff said on their view.

The Australian Republican Movement does not have many members. I have never joined, btw. I have a lot of acquaintances through my work. The majority are Republican. None are members of the ARM. They will all vote in the referendum.

Australians in general are not great joiners of political movements. Neither the Labor Party nor the Liberal/National coalition have huge numbers of members, though Labor has more than the Opposition Parties. The Greens have more considering they are a minor party. They attract the young lefties. They are not a monarchist party either. Labor certainly isn?t and an ex Liberal PM was a leader of the ARM at the time of the 199O?s referendum on the subject. 

Party hardly: why Australia's big political parties are struggling to compete with grassroots campaigns | Australian politics | The Guardian

And, Whatever the Sydney Morning Herald says about the ARM, that newspaper is not pro monarchist either.

Nightowl

Quote from: Amabel2 on May 13, 2023, 12:14:02 PM
so get rid of Charles and find your own HOS.  Just stop going on about it

Absolutely agree with you 100%, Australia seems to want to find it's own way in life so gooooo, do it and be done with it and King Charles. I am sure he has tons of issues to worry about and take on.

Nightowl

Quote from: wannable on May 13, 2023, 02:55:29 PM
I wouldn't trust anything from the USA, sorry. But just recently a lot of secret documents, faked, forged and half truths from departments such as FBI and CIA have come to light, and the Departments that have to take actions are not taking actions, hence my comment the other day about the volatility in that country, it's a time bomb, waiting to implode any time. I hope the someones can contain it/save it.

Well being an American I very much agree with you about my country being a ticking time bomb here, it is getting worse by the day and the sad thing is there is no one capable of saving it, and if the idiot T gets elected again.....forget there is an America for we will break apart into small whatevers.  My country disappeared decades ago, it is just now showing it's true self in the sense of those in Congress who are exploiting it. Biden is not the cause, it is all on the idiots in Congress who promote themselves and make the laws.  I envy Britain in  a way right now for they have something and someone to look up to and there is NOTHING here to do the same.