Royal Historical Facts Potpurri Chat

Started by PrincessOfPeace, May 16, 2014, 10:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wannable

Wasn't she registered on birth Catherine Elizabeth?!

I doubt she'd change her name in legal documents ID, because of the press calling her Kate.

For Royal names, Chelsy and Cressida are uncommon, hence my comment.

Double post auto-merged: November 29, 2015, 08:06:03 PM

Who knows, perhaps Maria will last very long and be a strong influence like was Olga to William and Harry.

I feel she is a great nanny to both George and Charlotte. A great report, specially since their parents will be traveling to India end of Q1 2016, knowingly quite calm when both sides fear no anguish of short separations.

By the way William and Kate protect their children, I say they are both very good parents.

Curryong

^ I think direct heirs to the throne are tethered in two directions. They have to stick to dynastic, regal sounding names, (though Estelle of Sweden is an exception) and, in Britain anyway, they must avoid repeating the names of close relatives. Actually the Queen's name (at least as a first name) was quite different to those of Royal relatives and recent predecessors. In being named after her mother she gave a nod to the Tudor dynasty.

TLLK

^^^Yes Estelle was a surprise to many when her name was announced. In Denmark, Christian was a given because Frederik had been used two time in a row. Elisabeth and Amalia were the names of former queen in Belgium and the NL. Leonor (Elenore) has been one of the more popular names of the last decade and is being used by royal/noble children in Spain, Belgium, the NL and now Sweden.

LouisFerdinand

William I, Prince of Orange had daughters named Catharina Belgica, Charlotte Flandrina, and Charlotte Brabantina.   
When were the names of Belgica, Flandrina, and Brabantina last used in the Dutch Royal Family?

amabel

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on November 30, 2015, 10:56:05 PM
William I, Prince of Orange had daughters named Catharina Belgica, Charlotte Flandrina, and Charlotte Brabantina.   
When were the names of Belgica, Flandrina, and Brabantina last used in the Dutch Royal Family?
Gosh I hope never again

Double post auto-merged: December 01, 2015, 09:21:05 PM

Quote from: TLLK on November 30, 2015, 03:51:04 PM
^^^Yes Estelle was a surprise to many when her name was announced. In Denmark, Christian was a given because Frederik had been used two time in a row. Elisabeth and Amalia were the names of former queen in Belgium and the NL. Leonor (Elenore) has been one of the more popular names of the last decade and is being used by royal/noble children in Spain, Belgium, the NL and now Sweden.
I do think that the Danish custom of sons being named Fredrik and Christian alternately is a bit rigid.  they could break away from that.  Estelle is quite pretty but I gather some thought it not regal enough. But the best known QUeen regent was Cristina who was hardly a wonderful queen

Curryong

^ Yes, I think Queen Cristina was a clever woman but self-absorbed and eccentric. I thought Estelle was named after a much admired public figure in Sweden.

As those princesses were named after regions of what has been Belgium since the 1830's,  and was then the Austrian Netherlands, I doubt that Belgica, Flandrina and Brabantia will ever be used again by the Dutch royals, and yes, thank goodness for that! I think and believe they were a choice of one particular set of parents and never used again.

amabel

Quote from: Curryong on December 01, 2015, 10:04:05 PM
^ Yes, I think Queen Cristina was a clever woman but self-absorbed and eccentric. I thought Estelle was named after a much admired public figure in Sweden.

As
Eccentric is a polite way of putting it. I read a bio of her a few years ago and was appalled..

LouisFerdinand

Polyxena Christina of Hesse-Rotenburg was the wife of Charles Emmanuel III of Savoy.

Jennifer

QuoteCharlotte most popular British baby name

The name Charlotte is increased this year to first place in the annual British ranking of most popular girls names. Charlotte adorns the top of the list of Nameberry.com, followed by Amelia, Ava, Olivia and Cora.

The birth of Princess Charlotte in London on 2 may after apparently much inspired brand new parents. They followed the name choice of Prince William and his wife Kate. The little sister of Prince George formally the Charlotte Elizabeth Diana.

The guys name George turns out with a 29th place in the ranking of most popular boy names less popular. The top 3 of British boy names is led by Ezra, Asher and Atticus.

Read more translated:
www.eo.nl/blauwbloed/artikel-detail/charlotte-populairste-britse-babynaam/ - Translator
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

amabel

I think it is a very nice name, old fashioned but not too much so and a nice nod to previous royals and to Charles.... and of course Eliz and Diana are good refs to the baby's grandmother and Gt Grandmother

TLLK

I had no idea that Cora had made a comeback in the UK. Not surprised about the other girl names as I've noticed an  increase in the Olivias, Avas and Amelias among the kindergarten classrooms that I've been subbing in this year. Atticus, Ezra and Asher are not very common in the U.S. as far as I know.

amabel

TLLK is Cora perhaps popular because of Downton Abbey?   Will we see Ediths and Sybils?  Mabey Violet will make a comeback

Double post auto-merged: January 01, 2016, 01:10:59 PM

Quote from: TLLK on November 30, 2015, 03:51:04 PM
^^^Yes Estelle was a surprise to many when her name was announced. In Denmark, Christian was a given because Frederik had been used two time in a row. Sweden.
I thought that it was more that Margrethe's father had been Fred and because she was a woman they said that she could count as  "Christian"..and then her son was named Fred.. and now of coucrse HIS son will be Christian. I do think it is dreadfully unimaginative.
There are quite a few Margarets in the European royal houses.. and also Gabrielles.  Lady Ella Windsor is Gabriella. now the new Princess of Monaco is Gabrielle...and Marie Astrid's got a daughter called Gab..

TLLK

^^^Elenore/Leonore/Leonor has been used multiple times in the last decade. I wonder if we'll see another little girl from a reigning/non-reigning house being given this name.

Yes I definitely think that Cora's revival was due to Downton Abbey.

LouisFerdinand

The name Henrietta arrived in England in 1625 via King Charles I's wife, the French Princess Henriette Marie, who became known as Henrietta Maria.     
Her daughter was Princess Henrietta Anne.

Curryong

^ The Hanoverians and their descendants didn't use the name Henrietta much however, probably because it was very much associated with the Stuarts.

amabel

I think Henrietta is NOT one of the more attractive "female versions of a male name".  But I am always surprised that there were no Georginas or Georgianas in the Hanoverian/Victorian RF.  with so many Georges, you would think that it was a very likely choice and it was popular among the aristocracy.
THe only one I know of is Q Adelades little daughter who died Princess Elizabeth of Clarence.  She was Eliz Georgiana Adelaide.

Double post auto-merged: January 02, 2016, 09:33:41 AM

Quote from: TLLK on January 01, 2016, 02:51:55 PM
^^^Elenore/Leonore/Leonor has been used multiple times in the last decade. I
]
I like "Leonora".... yes there are a few now in the currnet RFs.  There is a ducch Leonore. Felipes' daughter, and also Pss Madeleine of Swedens's daughter.  I wondered if W and Kate had considered Eleanor for Charlotte, but it is the name of one of Will's cousins...

LouisFerdinand

Hans Adam II is the reigning Prince of Liechtenstein. His heir apparent is Alois.   
The name Alois has been previously used.     
Aloys (Alois) II (1796-1858) was the sovereign Prince of Liechtenstein between 1836 to 1858.     
Prince Aloys (Alois) (1869-1955) was the father of Franz Joseph II of Liechtenstein.     
One of his sons was Prince Aloys (1917-1967).     
Prince Karl Aloys (1878-1955) was a brother of Princer Aloys (1869-1955).

LouisFerdinand

Archduke Karl of Austria is the Head of the House of Habsburg-Lorraine.     
His heir has the name Ferdinand Zvonimir. He was given the Croatian name Zvonimir after King Zvonimir of Croatia from the 11th century.     
Demetrius Zvonimir was King of Croatia from 1075 until 1089.

LouisFerdinand

The last reigning Duke of Modena, Francis V, was born Francesco Geminiano. How often is Geminiano used for a boy?

LouisFerdinand

TLLK

^^^All names used by various Hannovers, Saxe-Coburg-Gothas, Windsors, Bowes-Lyons and Spencers.  :nod:

amabel

Quote from: TLLK on February 18, 2016, 11:31:42 PM
^^^All names used by various Hannovers, Saxe-Coburg-Gothas, Windsors, Bowes-Lyons and Spencers.  :nod:
well yeah, Charlotte is a popular upper class name and there was Princess Charlotte of Wales who would have been Queen if she hadn't died in childbirth.. and its a ref to Charles as well.  obviously Eliz for the Queen and Diana for - Diana. I think that it is a ncie name... but I think they could have thrown in Catherine for Kate or Caroline for Mrs M....

TLLK

Poor Charlotte that was truly the triple obstetrical tragedy when you add in Sir Richard Croft's (male mid-wife) suicide.

Princess Charlotte of Wales - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Curryong

Quote from: TLLK on February 20, 2016, 12:55:14 AM
Poor Charlotte that was truly the triple obstetrical tragedy when you add in Sir Richard Croft's (male mid-wife) suicide.

Princess Charlotte of Wales - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

^ Agreed. Croft caused that tragedy by being far, far too cautious. Of course hindsight is a wonderful thing but you do wonder whether another physician might have been able to save mother if not baby. The death of his wife and child ruined Leopold's life too. He never really got over losing Charlotte and one of his daughters by his second wife Louise was named after her.

amabel

Oh come on Leopold lived and had a very comfortable life.. Poor Charlotte, she was unlucky.  but it did happen at the time that women died in chidlbrith, and it happened to her.
And she was a rather silly young woman.  Perhaps from the POV of the RF, Victoria was a better queen.  but I am glad the name Charlotte has been revived...  It is pretty, not too short or long and has a royal history.