The Stuarts (Scotland 1371)-(England/Great Britain 1603-1714)

Started by cinrit, December 28, 2011, 01:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

QuoteThe fragile parchment, bearing royal insignia, was sent to a pope by a deposed monarch begging for her life.

While the letter addressed to Sixtus V failed to save Mary, Queen of Scots from the executioner's sword, the document itself has survived buried in the bowels of the Vatican's secret archives for more than 400 years.

It is among 100 of the most historically significant items of confidential correspondence due to go on public display for the first time in a special exhibition in Rome.

The priceless collection spans more than a millennium, from the eighth century to modern times, and features a cast of historical characters who have crossed swords with a succession of pontiffs, from Knights Templar to Galileo, Martin Luther and Henry VIII.

Mary wrote the missive from her prison cell at Fotheringhay Castle in Northamptonshire just three months before she was executed following her long incarceration.

Read more:  Mary Queen of Scots sent letter begging for her life to Vatican before execution | Daily Mail Online 

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

cinrit

QuoteA 450-year-old letter written by Mary Queen of Scots will be put up for sale at an auction next week.

The letter, which was unearthed at Blair Castle, Ayrshire, is said to have been written to the then Laird of Blair, relieving him of his duties at court due to gout.

Dated 14 March 1554, it has been valued at £3,000 and is one of more than 1,000 lots to come from the castle.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-17303778 

Cindy

cinrit

With video:

QuoteMary Queen of Scots Letter Sells for More Than £6,000

A 450-year-old letter described as one of the world's oldest sick notes has been sold at auction in Edinburgh.

In it, Mary Queen of Scots excuses a nobleman from his duties because he was suffering from gout.

The letter was dated 14 March 1554 and was recently verified as having been written by Mary in her own hand.

The 16th Century document came from Blair Castle in Ayrshire and sold for more than £6,000 at Lyon and Turnbull's auction.

The letter was sent by Mary to the Laird of Blair, and relieved him of his duties at court as he was suffering from the painful condition, which attacks the big toe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-17389775 

Cindy

snokitty

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too"      Voltaire

I can see humor in most things & I would rather laugh than cry.    Snokitty

cinrit

QuoteThe fragile parchment, bearing royal insignia, was sent to a pope by a deposed monarch begging for her life.

While the letter addressed to Sixtus V failed to save Mary, Queen of Scots from the executioner's sword, the document itself has survived buried in the bowels of the Vatican's secret archives for more than 400 years.

It is among 100 of the most historically significant items of confidential correspondence due to go on public display for the first time in a special exhibition in Rome.

Mary Queen of Scots sent letter begging for her life to Vatican before execution | Mail Online

Cindy

cinrit

QuoteThe chalice, known as the Luck of Workington, will be unveiled by Susan Thornely, head of the Curwen family, at the Helena Thompson Museum.

The communion cup was given to the Curwens by Mary Queen of Scots in 1568 on the last night of her freedom as a reward for their hospitality. When she handed it over, she told the town it would bring luck.

It has been in the Curwen family's possession ever since and moved to Carlisle 40 years ago with the family.

Times & Star | Mary Queen of Scots communion cup returns to Workington 

Cindy

cinrit

QuoteThe Marie Stuart Society said Mary's tale of murder and intrigue had made her famous across the globe, but she still does not have an official statue.

Mary was executed on the orders of her cousin Queen Elizabeth I in 1587.

The society want to raise about £100,000 for a full-size bronze statue of Mary, possibly at her birthplace of Linlithgow Palace.

Mary Stuart was born at Linlithgow Palace on 7 December 1542. When she was six days old her father, James V, died and she became queen of Scotland.

She later lost the support of the nobility by marrying the Earl of Bothwell three months after the death of her husband the Earl of Darnley - who some believe had been murdered.

BBC News - Mary, Queen of Scots statue call 

Cindy

Windsor

cinrit

^^ Only if they can raise £100,000 and find a sculpture and a foundry.  Looks like they've got a high mountain to climb.

QuoteMary Queen of Scots to Stand in Linlithgow Peel

Mary Queen of Scots will again take up residence on Linlithgow Peel in a few
 years if £100,000 is found.

Land has been identified in the grounds of the Queen’s birthplace for a lifesize statue cast in bronze, after years of work by the Marie Stuart Society, which has 200 
members as far flung as New Zealand and the USA.

Ian Lumsdaine of the Society said: “Around five years ago, we asked a sculptor to design a maquette of Mary (pictured). We decided to use this exact model to scale up into a lifesize five foot eleven and a half inch statue - the detail is superb and it will be beautiful. Unfortunately the sculptor has since died, so we need to find another sculptor and a foundry to cast it in bronze.”

Mary Queen of Scots to stand in Linlithgow Peel - Local Headlines - Linlithgow Journal and Gazette

Cindy

cinrit

QuoteAustralian actress Adelaide Kane is to play Mary, Queen of Scots in a new US drama. But she is not the first actress to portray the troubled royal.

Kane, who has previously appeared in Neighbours, will appear as the 16th Century monarch in Reign on US television in the autumn.

The 22-year-old is the latest in a long line of film and television stars to portray the queen, who was born at Linlithgow Palace in 1542.

BBC News - Leading ladies: The many faces of Mary, Queen of Scots 

Cindy

cinrit

QuoteOne of the most important early jewels in the Royal Collection is among a number of objects lent by The Queen to an exhibition about the life of Mary, Queen of Scots at the National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh.

The exhibition Mary, Queen of Scots explores the tragic Queen's story through jewels, textiles, furniture, documents, portraits and rare objects intimately connected to Mary.  Opening on Friday, 28 June, it includes the famous Darnley Jewel and several paintings from the Royal Collection.

The Darnley or Lennox Jewel, an impressive gold enamelled locket, is set with rubies and emeralds and contains concealed compartments.  It is likely to have been made for Mary's mother-in-law, Lady Margaret Douglas, Countess of Lennox, following the death of her husband Matthew, Earl of Lennox, Regent of Scotland in 1571.  The heart-shaped jewel was intended to be worn around the neck or on the breast.  Its complex iconography relates to the shared life of the Earl and Countess, whose son, Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley, was Mary, Queen of Scots' second husband.  The Latin inscription around the edge of the locket also reveals the couple's ambitions for their grandson, the future James VI. This translates as 'Who hopes still constantly with patience shall obtain victory in their claim', perhaps a reassurance that James would one day take the throne.

Mary, Queen of Scots exhibition | Royal Collection Trust 

Cindy

cinrit

QuoteA 16th century fountain column linked to Mary, Queen of Scots is to go on display as part of an exhibition exploring her life.

The column was part of a water feature installed in the courtyard of Linlithgow Palace at the court of Mary's father, James V.

The fountain, which dates to around 1538, is thought to be one of the oldest surviving in the UK.

BBC News - 'Mary, Queen of Scots' fountain column to go on display 

Cindy

cinrit

QuoteExhibition Reveals the Real Mary, Queen of Scots

Try this today. Ask people who they think is Scotland's most famous woman. In response I got a couple of JK Rowlings, an Annie Lennox or two, even a Dolly the Sheep from Confused of Marchmont, but the vast majority of people immediately plump for Mary, Queen of Scots.

Almost 500 years after her birth she still exerts huge fascination despite the fact her reign as queen in her own right only lasted from 1561 to 1567. Short-lived it may have been, but it was action-packed. Mary's time on earth was crammed with romance, murder, mystery, betrayals, imprisonment and finally a beheading. The full facts may never be known – was she involved in her second husband's murder, abducted and raped by her third? Despite the intense scrutiny she has always attracted, it's not clear.

Exhibition reveals the real Mary, Queen of Scots - Heritage - Scotsman.com 

Cindy

cinrit

QuoteThe face of Mary, Queen of Scots has been recreated in 3D by a team of experts from the University of Dundee.

The team were commissioned to produce a virtual sculpture of Mary's face, for a new exhibition opening in Edinburgh.

They have previously worked on major projects to reconstruct the faces of Bach and Richard III, among others.

BBC News - Mary, Queen of Scots modelled in 3D 

Cindy

cinrit

Limabeany

Thank you! Thank you, Cindy! I love that period in history!  :hug:  :flower:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Limabeany

OMG! I haven't seen these mini-series about Mary!  :pullhair:

BBC News - Leading ladies: The many faces of Mary, Queen of Scots

Found this through your link.  :) Interesting her face is similar to what I imagined as I read about her...   :happy:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

cinrit

It's interesting, but they've modeled the 3-D face on a painting that doesn't seem to be very specific in terms of features.  There is a death mask that is purported to be hers (eyelashes and eyebrows added, of course).

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_rgCry1Ucn2Y/TC2L93eVt8I/AAAAAAAAEII/OS9U5IYxWkg/s1600/Queen+Mary+Deathmask.jpg

Here's the effigy on her tomb:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2529/3696612986_817e9c839a.jpg

Cindy

cinrit

You're welcome, Limabeany. :flower:  Mary's story has always fascinated me.  It's probably one of the most interesting stories in the Tudor period of the Renaissance.

Cindy

Limabeany

Quote from: cinrit on June 28, 2013, 01:57:57 PM
You're welcome, Limabeany. :flower:  Mary's story has always fascinated me.  It's probably one of the most interesting stories in the Tudor period of the Renaissance.

Cindy

:yesss: :yesss: :yesss:

Limabeany

The 3D model looks more like the tomb than the alleged deathmask. The deathmask version is beautiful and moving even peaceful and angelic. What do you think? Did you imagine her when readng about her?

cinrit

She was supposedly very tall and a great beauty.  Elizabeth (I) was jealous of her because of this.  I don't know if the death mask is really hers, but I don't think the 3-D image is a good representation.  Depending on the artist, portraits back then weren't very detailed, so it's hard to know what anyone really looked like, and I wouldn't call this portrait of Mary anywhere near "great beauty".  Hard to know, though...

Cindy

Limabeany

It definitely is not that of a great beauty, interesting. True, it's going to hard revising the picture of her in my mind, but I like the image of her as a beauty.

cinrit

There is a channel on YouTube, where someone photoshopped portraits of different historical figures ... off-hand, I can remember seeing Marie Antoinette and Anne Boleyn ... to what they would look like today, based on those portraits.  I'm going out in a few minutes, but if I remember when I get back, I'll see if I can find them again.  They were quite interesting.

Cindy

Limabeany

I hope you find them!  :happy20: :happy20: :happy20: :happy20: